HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Kovy or Semin

Old
11-20-2009, 07:23 PM
rockinghockey

vCash: 500
Kovalchuk of course. Two top 6 fowards would be like Cogs and O'Sullivan. Then a player like Eberle. Is there a way that we can add Gilbert in there instead of O'Sullivan so that we can get rid of some salary. I would not give up the 1st though.How about
Gilbert
Cogs
O'Sullivan
Eberle

Taking a look at it though it is quite a bit to give up. What would other teams be willing to give for him?

rockinghockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2009, 07:53 PM
Cogliano13Gagner89

Not even close, Kovalchuk...

He's the best pure goal scorer in the game after Ovechkin.

Cogliano13Gagner89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2009, 08:17 PM
Lion

Kovalchuk and its not even close.

Hes in his prime and will probably get 8-9M cap hit on the market.

Lion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2009, 08:24 PM
Phaedrus

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubs View Post
Spector's sources are newspapers and TSN as he comments on other writers rumors. He doesn't make them up with made up sources like Eklund.
But how often is Spector correct? Personally, I cannot recall once... whereas I have known Eklund to be right on a couple of occasions. And like Spector, etc., Eklund does report things after they appear on TSN, newspapers, etc., but even then people criticize him for simply repeating a story that appears elsewhere. I am not a fan of Eklund, but I am less a fan of the fickleness of the average.

Phaedrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2009, 09:29 PM
HFPM

Send a message via MSN to HFPM
Where is the baseless rumor thread when we need it?

HFPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2009, 09:34 PM
Phaedrus

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemskyforpm View Post
Where is the baseless rumor thread when we need it?
To what end? What integrity are you attempting to protect with such a comment? As I wrote elsewhere, this is a hockey blog... Eklund is as valuable as 95% of what goes on here. Why comment if it bothers you so... if such trite reports offend your sensitivities. The people on this board are its most amusing part (and yes, I mean people like you).

edit: Other than laughing at people like you, I come on these boards hoping to see that Tambellini did something to address the Oilers' shortcomings. Reading about Kovalchuk is a breath of hope, if only for a fleeting moment. We all realize the likelihood of it happening; we don't need people such as yourself to give voice to a useless assertion to make us aware of it.

Old
11-20-2009, 10:21 PM
Valic
BOOOOOOOOOO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phaedrus View Post
To what end? What integrity are you attempting to protect with such a comment? As I wrote elsewhere, this is a hockey blog... Eklund is as valuable as 95% of what goes on here. Why comment if it bothers you so... if such trite reports offend your sensitivities. The people on this board are its most amusing part (and yes, I mean people like you).

edit: Other than laughing at people like you, I come on these boards hoping to see that Tambellini did something to address the Oilers' shortcomings. Reading about Kovalchuk is a breath of hope, if only for a fleeting moment. We all realize the likelihood of it happening; we don't need people such as yourself to give voice to a useless assertion to make us aware of it.
I think he's referring to my epic thread that almost was, where we could talk about all the silly rumours out there, if only for a fleeting moment.

Valic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2009, 10:31 PM
Ramrod
Happily outscoring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phaedrus View Post
But how often is Spector correct? Personally, I cannot recall once... whereas I have known Eklund to be right on a couple of occasions. And like Spector, etc., Eklund does report things after they appear on TSN, newspapers, etc., but even then people criticize him for simply repeating a story that appears elsewhere. I am not a fan of Eklund, but I am less a fan of the fickleness of the average.
Spector doesn't have to be right, he simply comments on rumors from newspapers/TSN. If he made up his own rumors, then you can start counting his successes and failures. Until then, he simply provides another perspective to rumors that are already out there.

Ramrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2009, 10:59 PM
Pterodactyl
Houston Texans Balla

Quote:
Originally Posted by the tikk View Post
As for as likelihood is concerned, this is right up there with Batman vs. Spiderman (Spiderman, of course).
Batman would destroy spiderman.

And to answer the only questionable question, Kovalchuk for sure.

Pterodactyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2009, 11:00 PM
HFPM

Send a message via MSN to HFPM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valic View Post
I think he's referring to my epic thread that almost was, where we could talk about all the silly rumours out there, if only for a fleeting moment.
Circle gets the square.

HFPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2009, 11:31 PM
tiger_80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Bugg View Post
Cap hit = $8M. Moreau + Nilsson + Pisani + Staios = $9.2M

Ideal team:

Kovalchuk ($8M)-Horcoff-Hemsky
Penner-Gagner ($3M)-O'Sullivan
Brule ($2M)-Cogliano ($1.75M)-Eberle
Jacques ($1M)-X-Stortini

Visnovsky-Smid
Souray-Grebeshkov ($3.5M)
Gilbert-Chorney

Khabibulan
X

=$58.95M, but the RFA raises above may be conservative so make it $60M. Trade one of the Big Four and you have the cap space to round out the team.
I think trading for Kovalchuk would totally devastate the team depth. Taking a run at him in the UFA would make more sense if he's still available.

I think Pisani will not be re-signed unless it is for a league minumum. Nilsson will probably get waived.
Moreau is untradeable unless there is a bad conttract coming the other way.
Staios is probably tradeable, but not worth much.

I do agree, however, that all these guys have to go.
Here is the more realistic line-up:

Penner-Horcoff-Hemsky
MPS-Gagner-O'Sullivan
JFJ-Brule-Stone
X-X-Stortini

Souray-Visnovsky
Grebeshkov-X
Smid-Peckham/Chorney

Gilbert traded for a stay home defenseman. Cogliano for a quality prospect+depth player.

tiger_80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2009, 11:32 PM
Phaedrus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valic View Post
Here's an option: People that don't want to get involved in such threads (because, I can only assume, it offends their sensitivities) can simply not click on them. Its easy... its so easy that it requires no effort.

Start a thread for "Sun" reporting if you want to limit the refuse on this board.

Old
11-20-2009, 11:37 PM
tiger_80

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinghockey View Post
Kovalchuk of course. Two top 6 fowards would be like Cogs and O'Sullivan. Then a player like Eberle. Is there a way that we can add Gilbert in there instead of O'Sullivan so that we can get rid of some salary. I would not give up the 1st though.How about
Gilbert
Cogs
O'Sullivan
Eberle

Taking a look at it though it is quite a bit to give up. What would other teams be willing to give for him?
Probably not that much given that he's a rental.
I'd say a young top 6 forward (O'Sullivan), a quality prospect (Eberle/Petry) and a 1st round pick. Add a conditional 1st/2nd round pick next year if Kovalchuk signs with the Oilers in the off-season.

tiger_80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2009, 12:19 AM
KarmaPolice
No Hope...

vCash: 50
Send a message via MSN to KarmaPolice
Kovy for sure, just as long as we can extend him, which is a lot easier said than done.

Kovy - Horcoff/Brule - Hemsky
Penner - Gagner - O'Sullivan

Killer top two lines. Damn, that makes me salivate just looking at it...

*When Brule is ready to be a top 6 centre (which I think he's close to) then him on the top line with Horcs on the third is even better.

KarmaPolice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2009, 03:35 PM
voucher101

I WANT ILYA!

Horc
Cogs
Gilbert
2nd

for an unsigned kovalchuk

voucher101 is offline   Reply With Quote