HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Do we need a real # 1 center

Closed Thread

Old
11-26-2009, 09:24 AM
YoungGuns
The Taylor Hall Show

vCash: 132
Do we need a real # 1 center

sowme people may say horcoff is our # 1 center but truth be told he is just a over priced 2/3 line center a good 2/3 center but not a top line center

Gagner just isnt ready yet in another 2-3 years he will be but for now what do you guys think any # 1 centers up for trade or UFAs at the end of the season

PS i dont know how to make poll can someone add one or tellme how to put one up

Old
11-26-2009, 09:47 AM
jumptheshark
the burn out

vCash: 1000
Horcoff is not a legit nuber 1 center

but at a cap hit of 5.5 and getting 7million a year---he is getting paid like one screws the oilers up and ties their hands from getting real one

Old
11-26-2009, 09:50 AM
CorpseFX

vCash: 872
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockynight View Post
Gagner just isnt ready yet in another 2-3 years he will be
what makes you believe hes going to get any better in 2-3 years? cause the learning curve of the league will change? he will grow in size and get faster to avoid being converged on?

theres nothing in his game that convinces me he can dominate other teams in any skill of the game. real "stars" can do that. hes more opportunistic than dominant. Hemsky can show some dominance in puck control, even if its inconsistent... its even more rare to see Gagner show anything like that. and people will say, "he's 20", which is fine - but hes probably not growing anymore. and how much can he improve his skating technique to build on speed? its probably marginal at best.

he seems like he'll be an OK second line center or a "third wheel" type player on a top line where the two other players do most of the hard work.

i know i give the dude a hard time but i just want to see more.
glad to see his FO% went up drastically so far.

this team definitely needs BETTER players to fit around some of these guys like Hemsky and Gagner. ideally. will it happen any time soon? probably not. unless they get a couple miracle drafts.

Old
11-26-2009, 10:07 AM
blackcoffee

vCash: 500
So what's the over/under on there being a Horcoff sucks thread every week till the season is out?

Old
11-26-2009, 10:10 AM
sync

yes, we need a legit #1 with size.

Old
11-26-2009, 10:15 AM
surshot*

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorpseFX View Post
what makes you believe hes going to get any better in 2-3 years? cause the learning curve of the league will change? he will grow in size and get faster to avoid being converged on?

theres nothing in his game that convinces me he can dominate other teams in any skill of the game. real "stars" can do that. hes more opportunistic than dominant. Hemsky can show some dominance in puck control, even if its inconsistent... its even more rare to see Gagner show anything like that. and people will say, "he's 20", which is fine - but hes probably not growing anymore. and how much can he improve his skating technique to build on speed? its probably marginal at best.

he seems like he'll be an OK second line center or a "third wheel" type player on a top line where the two other players do most of the hard work.

i know i give the dude a hard time but i just want to see more.
glad to see his FO% went up drastically so far.

this team definitely needs BETTER players to fit around some of these guys like Hemsky and Gagner. ideally. will it happen any time soon? probably not. unless they get a couple miracle drafts.
Ummmmmmmm cause thats what young players do maybe. How does your corn flakes taste this morning a little like piss?

Yes we could use a number one center right now and its doable considering what we would have to give up salary wise and then fill spots with kids or the depth we already have. And improve our high end skill which is this teams biggest need.

Old
11-26-2009, 10:17 AM
Joe Hallenback

I would be interested in seeing who the OP thinks we can get to solve all our problems

Old
11-26-2009, 10:25 AM
surshot*

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumptheshark View Post
Horcoff is not a legit nuber 1 center

but at a cap hit of 5.5 and getting 7million a year
---he is getting paid like one screws the oilers up and ties their hands from getting real one
I think everybody is already aware of this. The rest of the post could not be further from the truth. If the Oilers hands were tied then why did they go after Heatley and likely well go after a player of that ilk again. Its called restructuring of the cap. The Oil have a lot of money tied up in bottom sixers and bottom pairs right now look for that to change as soon as they get the chance.

Also anyone have an idea on how much salary cap room we have with all the injury's???

Old
11-26-2009, 10:29 AM
surshot*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Hallenback View Post
I would be interested in seeing who the OP thinks we can get to solve all our problems
Why rag on the OP? People if you do not like the topic then don't discus.

Old
11-26-2009, 10:36 AM
harpoon
FOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentallydull View Post
I take it you don't believe in manners or respect either?
Maybe we should recommend a reading of the hat thread . I know its been educational for me .

Hint for OP . When the title of your thread is practically a copy paste of a dozen other threads we've had since the season started .... don't expect it to get a lot of love .

Old
11-26-2009, 10:46 AM
Homeland Security
Mod Supervisor
HFBoards

SInce we can't play nice, We are done here!