HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ryan White Appreciation Thread

Old
11-25-2009, 01:35 AM
guest1467

vCash: 500
He has a nice pair of hands in tight, almost reminds me of Metropolit but bigger and more physical.

guest1467 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2009, 01:54 AM
The Supersonik Fan

I really think he will be hard to send back to Hamilton.

The Supersonik Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2009, 06:05 AM
LeMAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by znk View Post
I beg to differ. On what do you base your opinion?

PK....he does good.
Checking line...he does good.
Hits...he does good.
Speed...does not look out of place at all.

And the guy only has 9 games NHL experience. He'll get sent down when all the injured come back but it's not because he cant play in the NHL.

Honestly your post is hard to explain.
Well maybe he is NHL material because he does everything well, but still he doesn't bring miuch either. A fourth liner in a bad team maybe. Same for Chipchura and Pyatt. They are pretty decent defensively, but nothing to write home about. They don't have enough offensive skill to put up some points at the NHL level. They don't bring much in terms of grit either, at least not enough to have an impact.

So what is their role? To become a regular NHLer you have to bring something to the table, or at least have the potential to do so. But what's the upside of those guys? Even if I'm not sure if Lapierre will have a decent career in the NHL, I can see some tools (speed, intensity, pretty good hands and size). But with those guys I don't see how they can become more than fringe NHLers considering the skills (or lack of) they have. Working hard is not enough these days.

LeMAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2009, 06:51 AM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeMAD View Post
Well maybe he is NHL material because he does everything well, but still he doesn't bring miuch either. A fourth liner in a bad team maybe. Same for Chipchura and Pyatt. They are pretty decent defensively, but nothing to write home about. They don't have enough offensive skill to put up some points at the NHL level. They don't bring much in terms of grit either, at least not enough to have an impact.

So what is their role? To become a regular NHLer you have to bring something to the table, or at least have the potential to do so. But what's the upside of those guys? Even if I'm not sure if Lapierre will have a decent career in the NHL, I can see some tools (speed, intensity, pretty good hands and size). But with those guys I don't see how they can become more than fringe NHLers considering the skills (or lack of) they have. Working hard is not enough these days.

And White doesnt have the ones in bold ?

seriously...

ECWHSWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2009, 07:19 AM
HotPie

Quote:

This post just illustrates to me that you don't really understand the role of a 3rd/4th liner in the NHL.

HotPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2009, 07:30 AM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTLPacman67 View Post
The guy's on my IL for a reason.
really... wich ?

ECWHSWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2009, 09:04 AM
LeMAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECWHSWI View Post
And White doesnt have the ones in bold ?
seriously...
Not much speed or skating abitlity. He has great intensity and pretty good size, with not much else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotPie View Post
This post just illustrates to me that you don't really understand the role of a 3rd/4th liner in the NHL.
The role of a good bottom 6 player is to be either: REALLY good on the PK, bring secondary scoring, or intimidate the other team by hitting/fighting. White will never produce offensively in the NHL and he will never intimidate anyone. Right now he's nothing special defensively either.

So what's his role? Unless he finds a way to be an effective energy player, which I doubt he can be because he can't score, skate or hit enough to have an impact, he won't be more than a spare part at the NHL level.

Again it's absolutely not to bash the guy, but there are more than a few like him in the AHL waiting for their turn.

LeMAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2009, 10:06 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
I like White,he doesn't care who is on the other side the kid is fearless

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2009, 10:11 PM
Habsfan18

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=707259

Habsfan18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2009, 10:14 PM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

I can't believe he jumped so far ahead of Maxwell in term of development.

Watsatheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2009, 10:18 PM
otto bond

I'm becoming a fan big time. For some reason, the fact that he shoots right make it even sweetter. He is making himself noticeable almost every shift and in a good way. He's a worker out there.

otto bond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2009, 10:19 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsatheo View Post
With kids under 25, you can never be too sure of anything.

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2009, 10:21 PM
badfish
Habs fan in SK

Last night one of my favorite moments in the game was the attitude he was giving to one player behind the net after a play. I always loved having guys like that on my team.

badfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2009, 10:25 PM
Fire Brunet*

He's like a Maxime Talbot clone

Fire Brunet* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2009, 10:25 PM
RE-HABS

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1909 View Post
Last night one of my favorite moments in the game was the attitude he was giving to one player behind the net after a play. I always loved having guys like that on my team.
Hahahaha, I know the one your talking about. I had a smile on my face too, whoever he was chippering to the guy must have said something like keep your head up or next time I'll kick your @$$ and White has a smirk and you see him nod his head and say "whatever"...Priceless!

As soon as he starts getting some points I think it will all come together, he could be a poor man's Ryder in the same type of play but not as much as a sniper.

RE-HABS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2009, 10:26 PM
Clumsyhab

After yesterday's loss, "Ca nous montre un manque flagrant de profondeur au sein de l'équipe" - Benoit Brunet.

Clumsyhab is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2009, 10:32 PM
Stradale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
Michel Villeneuve continues to show he knows very little on La Zone tonight, saying White isn't doing anything.
Villeneuve is still crying about Latendresse departure...

Ryan White brings a lot more than Latendresse in a game. In the two game without Latendresse, i notice that the team is skating a lot faster, forechecks harder.. Tender really slows the line down.

Stradale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2009, 10:32 PM
Boulette Cannon

Quote:
Originally Posted by RE-HABS View Post
Hahahaha, I know the one your talking about. I had a smile on my face too, whoever he was chippering to the guy must have said something like keep your head up or next time I'll kick your @$$ and White has a smirk and you see him nod his head and say "whatever"...Priceless!

As soon as he starts getting some points I think it will all come together, he could be a poor man's Ryder in the same type of play but not as much as a sniper.
Ryder isn't a grinder. He's just a celery stalk that has a good shot. If anything, I'd say he's a very poor man's Ryan Smith (for now).

Boulette Cannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2009, 10:54 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Quote:
I don't know about that. White flys around and hits things as nothing is really expected of him except good defensively play. Maxwell would need to be good both offensively and defensively. Also, Metro has deserved his 2nd line centre duties and unless he didn't, then Maxwell would have been brought up to be the 2nd line centre, otherwise it's just a waste with him on the 4th.

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2009, 11:01 PM
THE HOFF

Quote:
Great hard working guy, but not NHL material.

Well , on the depth chart, he is in good position ... he's defenitely nhl material ... outplayed lats, chip , stewart , laraque ... ect ... to EARN a spot. Plays an effective,big, simple game, just what we need to play beside a small creative and complicated forward , which we have plenty.

not nhl material? ROFL .

one of our most solid prospects, hands down...imho.

THE HOFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2009, 11:02 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
White outplayed Maxwell in the U-17's from what I recall. I saw the gold medal game and was a fan ever since, White was doing it all, hitting, passing, shooting, blocking shots. Maxwell I'm not as high on as others, but with White improving his skating a good bit since they were drafted, he's closed the gap between the two. I think what happened in Hamilton last year, was that WHite ran into a major slump and perhaps he had trouble getting his confidence back, as he didn't have the best year (spent most of it on the 4th line, while Maxwell was one of the clubs top players) but it was in the playoffs when he stepped up and got moved up to the 3rd line.

In the preseason tournament this year, Timmins said he felt White was the most improved Bulldog from last year, so he must have worked hard over the summer cause you could see a big turn around in his play right away.

montreal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2009, 11:04 PM
Habs13

To the poster that said White dosen't have skills to stick with the NHL ; here are his stats, you'll see that in his second season with the 'Dogs, he was doing well and has 2 points in 10 games for the Habs. Considering his just over a season of pro hockey experience, I'd say he's doing pretty well. You'll also notice a 34 goal season for the Calgary Hitmen. So, give the kid a chance.

2004-05 Calgary Hitmen WHL 63 9 14 23 95
2005-06 Calgary Hitmen WHL 72 20 33 53 121
2006-07 Calgary Hitmen WHL 72 34 55 89 97
2007-08 Calgary Hitmen WHL 68 28 44 72 98
2008-09 Hamilton Bulldogs AHL 80 11 18 29 68
2009-10 Hamilton Bulldogs AHL 11 3 4 22
2009-10 Montreal Canadiens NHL 10 0 2 2 11

Habs13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2009, 11:11 PM
Coach Brisebois*

he's got the intensity we need

Coach Brisebois* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2009, 12:03 AM
Etienne

What he brings to the table is the elusive notion of momentum. Instead of watching the other teams skate around Laraque and get scoring chances, we get to watch White spending entire shifts in someone's face and throwing hits. And you can bet the other Canadiens players see it too. You don't have to be intimidating to be good on a checking line, you just have to be in people's way. Gainey and Carbo were the 2 best defensive forwards in the game and they're small guys.

And we can never have too many good pkers. Every seconds he spends on the PK are seconds the Hobbits and the Brothers will play during 5-on-5 situations.

It will be very interesting to see him and Pyatt develop. It's the first time in a long while we've seen promising defensive forwards actually stepping up and it's a fresh change compared to underperforming/developing top 6 forwards sitting on the bottom lines (like Lats, D'ago, Patches when he's off his game, last year's Sergei...). Martin's style certainly fits them like a glove too.

Etienne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2009, 12:09 AM
The Supersonik Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etienne View Post
What he brings to the table is the elusive notion of momentum. Instead of watching the other teams skate around Laraque and get scoring chances, we get to watch White spending entire shifts in someone's face and throwing hits. And you can bet the other Canadiens players see it too. You don't have to be intimidating to be good on a checking line, you just have to be in people's way. Gainey and Carbo were the 2 best defensive forwards in the game and they're small guys.

And we can never have too many good pkers. Every seconds he spends on the PK are seconds the Hobbits and the Brothers will play during 5-on-5 situations.

It will be very interesting to see him and Pyatt develop. It's the first time in a long while we've seen promising defensive forwards actually stepping up and it's a fresh change compared to underperforming/developing top 6 forwards sitting on the bottom lines (like Lats, D'ago, Patches when he's off his game, last year's Sergei...). Martin's style certainly fits them like a glove too.
I totally agree with you. Good post.

The Supersonik Fan is offline   Reply With Quote