HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Farrel Siganture Series Sticks

Old
11-27-2009, 02:22 PM
Synergy27

vCash: 500
Farrel Siganture Series Sticks

These sticks are available at a damn good deal on Hockeymonkey right now (2 for $160, and then an extra 20% off...). Anyone use this stick? It seems like it might be worthwhile to just get a couple, even if they're not that great because the deal is so good. I can't find any feedback whatsoever online though. Can anyone share any experience at all?

Synergy27 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2009, 05:53 PM
Hockeyfan68

This is the only review I have ever seen .... I've never seen anyone use one in person.

He has a video review of it here http://hockeyus.com/farrell/farrell-...ck-review.html

I registered with that website and have left equipment reviews there, it is a helpful website when shopping for something you have never tried and reading what other players thought of it before you buy it.

Hockeyfan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2009, 07:29 PM
Synergy27

Yeah, that's the only review of any sort I was able to find as well. I'm thinking the lack of info available on these things should be telling, but I decided to buy a 2 pack anyway. $143 for two sticks shipped is a great deal, even if the sticks are only "meh".

Old
11-27-2009, 07:33 PM
Hockeyfan68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synergy27 View Post
Yeah, that's the only review of any sort I was able to find as well. I'm thinking the lack of info available on these things should be telling, but I decided to buy a 2 pack anyway. $143 for two sticks shipped is a great deal, even if the sticks are only "meh".
They're probably decent sticks and not many own them. I have never seen any in a store and the guy who owns that company is from Maine here where I live.

I bet you will like them a lot.

I use Harrow shafts and blades and never see those in any stores except one pro shop here and so far it is the best setup I have used yet. So there ya go ... someone else posted about some Brooklynite sticks or something like that in here and liked them .... another one I have never heard of before until he mentioned it.

So enjoy your great deal on them sticks!

Old
11-27-2009, 08:54 PM
AIREAYE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyfan68 View Post
This is the only review I have ever seen .... I've never seen anyone use one in person.

He has a video review of it here http://hockeyus.com/farrell/farrell-...ck-review.html

I registered with that website and have left equipment reviews there, it is a helpful website when shopping for something you have never tried and reading what other players thought of it before you buy it.
I like HockeyUs, but there hasn't been any new reviews there for a long time...no activity at all now

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2009, 09:52 PM
Hockeyfan68

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIREAYE View Post
I like HockeyUs, but there hasn't been any new reviews there for a long time...no activity at all now
Well that is too bad ... I made a few for the stuff I actually own and use. I figured it may help someone out who may want to try something without fearing they are wasting their money.

I found it helpful for buying a visor I was thinking about.

I think these farrell sticks must be decent because most of these sticks are made pretty well with there being varying differences which seem to be mainly about durability. You know like one company has brittle blades that chip easily or others where a shaft breaks on them.

If the original poster can think of it I would like to see a review of his sticks after he uses them for a few games.

Old
11-28-2009, 10:27 AM
Synergy27

I will without a doubt post a review of these as soon as I use them. Hopefully they get here quick so I can have something up late next week.

Old
11-28-2009, 01:22 PM
Hockeyfan68

Quote:
I will without a doubt post a review of these as soon as I use them. Hopefully they get here quick so I can have something up late next week.
Also after you get them and make a post about what you think after first using them be sure to come back later when you have used one tons to let us know what you thought of them.

Old
11-28-2009, 02:41 PM
NigelSPNKr
#SavetheGoons

vCash: 164
There is an LHS here that sells them, always a bunch of guys using them them here in the leagues. They are alright. Nothing too bad to say about them, nothing great to say either though.

For the money i'd get a Winnwell or a Rebellion. If these are not in your area, nothing wrong with Farrel sticks for the money they cost.

NigelSPNKr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2009, 06:01 PM
StrykerB

The Farrell sticks I've seen look like they have been blacked out, but the Farrell name is in black too. I think they did that so they could have pro players using them and not have to pay the NHL to allow the sticks.

StrykerB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2009, 10:18 AM
Synergy27

I just had a chance to use these sticks over the weekend. I got 2 RH Modanos in the 107 flex, cut down a couple of inches so they're probably in the 115 flex range or so. My initial impression is that these sticks are very, very good, and without a doubt worth the price I paid (I got them from Hockeymonkey on Black Friday for $70 each). Good balance, solid feel, and I really dig the blackout look.

Obviously can't comment on durability yet, other than saying that the stick I used survived the game. I was pretty active in this one too, and I remember taking a pretty hardcore two hander right to the shaft and it's no worse for the wear. Will update in a couple of weeks.

Old
12-07-2009, 07:37 PM
Hockeyfan68

Quote:
I just had a chance to use these sticks over the weekend. I got 2 RH Modanos in the 107 flex, cut down a couple of inches so they're probably in the 115 flex range or so. My initial impression is that these sticks are very, very good, and without a doubt worth the price I paid (I got them from Hockeymonkey on Black Friday for $70 each). Good balance, solid feel, and I really dig the blackout look.

Obviously can't comment on durability yet, other than saying that the stick I used survived the game. I was pretty active in this one too, and I remember taking a pretty hardcore two hander right to the shaft and it's no worse for the wear. Will update in a couple of weeks.
Cool news .... I bet they look great in person too with all that black.

Old
12-28-2009, 07:54 PM
Synergy27

I'm now a month in to these sticks and I'm still loving them. The one I have used the most has taken an absolute beating (people like to slash my sticks for some reason) and it has held up well. It's taken me years, literally, to find myself a stick that I like. The last stick I was 100% comfortable with was a Z-Bubble/Z-Carbon 2 piece setup. That said, I'm sure this stick will be discontinued and impossible to acquire shortly.

Old
12-28-2009, 07:59 PM
NigelSPNKr
#SavetheGoons

vCash: 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by StrykerB View Post
The Farrell sticks I've seen look like they have been blacked out, but the Farrell name is in black too. I think they did that so they could have pro players using them and not have to pay the NHL to allow the sticks.
They did that to apparently "hide the puck" better. It has nothing to do with the NHL

NigelSPNKr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2009, 08:44 PM
BadHammy*
MSL For Hart!

I heard great performance and awful durability, dono if it's really true. BTW, what type of stick does it compare, maybe a 10k?

Last edited by BadHammy*: 12-28-2009 at 09:01 PM.
BadHammy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2009, 09:35 PM
Synergy27

Quote:
Originally Posted by donGjohnson View Post
I heard great performance and awful durability, dono if it's really true. BTW, what type of stick does it compare, maybe a 10k?
I can't comment on a stick comparison because I am too cheap to buy other high-end sticks. I've been scraping by on Bauer XXVs and TPS R4s and this thing blows those out of the water in every aspect thus far.

Old
12-28-2009, 11:05 PM
Hockeyfan68

Quote:
Originally Posted by donGjohnson View Post
That describes about 90%+ of top end sticks in my opinion. "Lighter is better" *cough* *cough*

Quote:
I can't comment on a stick comparison because I am too cheap to buy other high-end sticks. I've been scraping by on Bauer XXVs and TPS R4s and this thing blows those out of the water in every aspect thus far.
I'm glad it is performing well for you ... I use the good composite shafts with good replacement blades and they really are much better than the cheaper stuff like the One55 shafts of which I also own two of. The One55s make good backups but I will never use them as a main stick again after using the good stuff.

So like yourself I am used to the good stuff now and there is no going back to the cheaper stuff because there IS a difference mainly in performance and not because of weight. I do not mind a heavier stick if it launches pucks well and has a good feel.

I like the two piece because after the initial investment for the shaft and a good blade that replacing blades is way cheaper than buying a whole new one piece stick. I am sure i won't be changing my setup anytime soon although the One95 stick as a one piece does have my interest.

Last edited by Hockeyfan68: 12-28-2009 at 11:15 PM.
Old
02-24-2010, 12:03 PM
Synergy27

For anyone that is interested, and again, I apologize for the spelling errors in the thread title, I just broke the first of the two sticks I bought this past Sunday night. So, it looks like it lasted me almost 3 months, which for me equates to about 25 games or so since I'm on the ice 2-3 times a week. That's pretty good durability for $80 I think, and the stick performed pretty well until it broke.

The break was in the shaft, by the way, pretty much right at the flex point which was a bit higher up than I expected it to be. The blade still remains in great shape, and I've played on a couple of rough surfaces too.

I ended up buying a couple of S17s as replacements. I'm interested to compare them with my left over Farrell twig so that I can make a legitimate comparison to the high end stuff.