HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

#25 - 11.27.09 | New York Rangers @ Tampa Bay Lightning | 7:30 PM - MSG PLUS (HD)

Old
11-28-2009, 02:57 AM
McDonaghisGod
Why not us?

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Boom Geoffrion View Post
I actually like Boyle's game.

He's not overly offensive, but when you pair him up with guys like Voros and Brashear, it pretty much eliminates all offensive potential.

Despite his -3 rating, I think he's done a pretty good job defensively.

The reason why he was worthy of a 3rd rounder, was his ceiling. He has decent hands, and size. Power-Forwards take time to develop, and Boyle has an chance at becoming a legitimate one if our coaching staff can get what they want from him. Sometimes, it takes years..
I am sure we'll find out because Uncle Glen has a nice multi-year deal waiting for him.

McDonaghisGod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2009, 03:09 AM
t3hg00se

Send a message via AIM to t3hg00se
Lundqvist was awesome tonight, he made more highlight reel saves tonight than he has all season. Sometimes the other team is just a **** load better than you.

t3hg00se is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2009, 05:35 AM
mm11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnaby View Post
TWO ISSUES: You are an absolute moron if you criticize Henrik for this game. The team was awful. Could he have stopped 2 more goals? Sure. He also, could have given up a couple more to players like St Louis when he was on that break away. The Rangers lost because they were TERRIBLE as a team.

Boyle for a 3rd? It isn't great, and it isn't bad. He is a legit 4th line center. How many 3rd rounders make the NHL? I wouldn't have made the deal at the time, but I won't criticize either... I'm actually starting to like the guy a bit...
We have to remember: Hank's first 3 years he played in front of a veteran filled d and a defensive minded coach that sucked play to the outside and limited the odd man rushes and Hank's numbers and legend balooned in NYR land. He jumped unto the scene and took off. He had his bits and pieces of inconsistancy but in general posted close to Elite numbers especially for a guy that just played his first 3 seasons.

Now for a little while Hank is behind a bunch of talented kids playing run and gun and he is being exposed. Maybe it was a case of him being a tad overrated. Hank still has to prove he is Elite unfortunately. This wont be his last rodeo in the NHL and we will have plenty of time to prove himself.

Hopefully the Ranger brass surround the guy with some butchers on D that chop some wood whenever someone breathes on him. I have a feeling Torts and Slats felt Hank was good enough to be exposed, sort of like the Bulin wall back in 02 when Torts ran him all year during the cup run. Obviously they miscalculated and Hank is not good enough yet.

mm11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2009, 06:51 AM
msv957

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverTheCap View Post
Patrick Roy would have given up 4 goals playing for this team tonight.

There has been zero offensive pressure tonight. None. Tampa has had puck possession for the majority of the game. The team in front of Lundqvist has played absolutely awful, both offensively and defensively, on the PK and PP, in the neutral zone. Lundqvist is the wrong player to blame for this debacle.
It's a team sport.. . The goalie looks great with great stats when there is a defensive system in place under the Renney system.. However, in the Torts wide open system the goalie 's stats are going to suffer... There is no question that Lundy is a top 10 goalie in the NHL..

msv957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2009, 06:51 AM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm11 View Post
We have to remember: Hank's first 3 years he played in front of a veteran filled d and a defensive minded coach that sucked play to the outside and limited the odd man rushes and Hank's numbers and legend balooned in NYR land. He jumped unto the scene and took off. He had his bits and pieces of inconsistancy but in general posted close to Elite numbers especially for a guy that just played his first 3 seasons.

Now for a little while Hank is behind a bunch of talented kids playing run and gun and he is being exposed. Maybe it was a case of him being a tad overrated. Hank still has to prove he is Elite unfortunately. This wont be his last rodeo in the NHL and we will have plenty of time to prove himself.

Hopefully the Ranger brass surround the guy with some butchers on D that chop some wood whenever someone breathes on him. I have a feeling Torts and Slats felt Hank was good enough to be exposed, sort of like the Bulin wall back in 02 when Torts ran him all year during the cup run. Obviously they miscalculated and Hank is not good enough yet.
lol really?

Can you tell me whats so "offensive" and "run and gun" about this team?

We aren't offensive. We aren't running and gunning.

We are having big problems getting any offense going. We are playing really sloppy hockey. Making misstakes all over the ice and playing like we have no plan what so ever. Sometimes we do this, sometimes we do that. Sometimes we fore-check, sometimes we don't. Sometimes our center goes deep and collects a puck, sometimes we throw it up ice.

Nothing is looking good. Besides maybe two individuals in Gabby and Prospal. I am not saying that we don't have any good players. But we have no unit that have chemsitry. We aren't good offensively. We aren't good defensiveley. We aren't good on the rush. We aren't good on the forecheck. We aren't good on the PP.

This team won't make the PO's, thats basically a given unless Hank plays out of this world, and since he never gets a rest I have a hard time seeing that happend.. In the past we have been able to "streak", but then we have always had something going. We had a sheitty defense last season too -- but had the 2nd best defense in the league. In previous years we have won the momentum a lot, had certain things going for us, while other certain things have put us in a tough spot. This year we have nothing.

Besides a coach that will scream at the players after they suck -- thats really what most people have screamed for themselfs. So in a way we are getting what we deserve.

Last edited by Ola: 11-28-2009 at 06:59 AM.
Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2009, 07:51 AM
dedalus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Boom Geoffrion View Post
Why is it ok for an elite, game-changing talent like Gaborik to be held off the stat-sheet, but our goaltender is ridiculed when he lets up a questionable goal, or this team loses a close game?
In fairness though, Gaborik has been a better, more consistent player BY FAR than Lundqvist this season. For that reason, he's earned more space to breathe. In other words, if Lundie had been playing as well as Gabby this entire season, I daresay criticism for him on games like last night's would be much lower.

And to be just, Lundqvist was essentially immune from all criticism his first two seasons with the team. (There are still some who hold him immune.) As time has gone on and we've come to better see the weaknesses in his game, the picture of him has become more balanced. msv957's post is a perfect example of what I mean. He writes: "There is no question that Lundy is a top 10 goalie in the NHL."

I can recall the time when most people were writing "There is no question that Lundy is a top 5 goalie in the NHL" with the extreme calling him top-3.

dedalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2009, 09:09 AM
GeorgeHamiltonsTan

i just finished watching the game, and i honestly dont even know where to begin. Im a little surprised ( i duno why) that a lot of the blame seems to be targeted at hank on this one. i was yelling for hank to be pulled after the second goal just to wake the team up as it could've easily been 8-0 by that time.
eh when all is said and done this really shouldn't be shocking cimply because this team just stinks period. Its disheartening to see them lay a giant egg right after playing one of their better games of the season.
what really threw my annoyance level through the roof was torts behavior in the postgame. He's just an ass, i dont blame the players for tuning him out.

GeorgeHamiltonsTan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2009, 09:56 AM
Chimp

No goaltender - regardless of his name on his back - can consistently play better than his team allows him. Seems like alot of people still have no clue about this simple fact.

Alot of whining that Hank's GAA has increased with a 0.3 avg per game so far this season. Well, what the hell do you expect when the team isn't playing hockey? And when over half the shots we allow are really ugly scoring chances? And the team constantly make peewee turnovers and mistakes all over the ice and skate around like headless chickens? And simply refuse to put any sort of cover whatsoever on the slot areas and the crease?

Just because we are completely impotent at putting the puck in the net when we have good scoring chances, it doesn't mean the opponent will be. How some of this board tries to put blame on Hank for this loss is beyond me, you can never ask of your goalie to save near perfect shots and ricochettes.

Has Hank had a good season? He's had his fair share of bad goals and some bad games, perhaps a couple of more than his average. So what, it happens, but the law of averages will even out. It seems to be completely forgotten about all those games that he held the opposing teams at bay to collect points for us earlier this season. Yes, even when we sucked.

The "aggressive hockey" experiment isn't working. We have no game plan, at least not a game plan that the players seem to follow. It's more like the headless chicken game plan. NYR has been figured out after a month and we are being picked apart. Just like every year.

Last edited by Chimp: 11-28-2009 at 10:12 AM.
Chimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2009, 10:14 AM
morffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
i think Boyle has a lot of upside, plays a strong 4th line role, but you can clearly see he has a lot of untapped potential.
Same here ...he is def. worth taking a chance on..esp for a 3rd rd pick.

morffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2009, 02:30 PM
mm11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post
lol really?

Can you tell me whats so "offensive" and "run and gun" about this team?

We aren't offensive. We aren't running and gunning.

We are having big problems getting any offense going. We are playing really sloppy hockey. Making misstakes all over the ice and playing like we have no plan what so ever. Sometimes we do this, sometimes we do that. Sometimes we fore-check, sometimes we don't. Sometimes our center goes deep and collects a puck, sometimes we throw it up ice.

Nothing is looking good. Besides maybe two individuals in Gabby and Prospal. I am not saying that we don't have any good players. But we have no unit that have chemsitry. We aren't good offensively. We aren't good defensiveley. We aren't good on the rush. We aren't good on the forecheck. We aren't good on the PP.

This team won't make the PO's, thats basically a given unless Hank plays out of this world, and since he never gets a rest I have a hard time seeing that happend.. In the past we have been able to "streak", but then we have always had something going. We had a sheitty defense last season too -- but had the 2nd best defense in the league. In previous years we have won the momentum a lot, had certain things going for us, while other certain things have put us in a tough spot. This year we have nothing.

Besides a coach that will scream at the players after they suck -- thats really what most people have screamed for themselfs. So in a way we are getting what we deserve.
its called the style brother. Run and gun Torts vrs stay back Renney different syles

mm11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2009, 02:46 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimp View Post
No goaltender - regardless of his name on his back - can consistently play better than his team allows him. Seems like alot of people still have no clue about this simple fact.

Alot of whining that Hank's GAA has increased with a 0.3 avg per game so far this season. Well, what the hell do you expect when the team isn't playing hockey? And when over half the shots we allow are really ugly scoring chances? And the team constantly make peewee turnovers and mistakes all over the ice and skate around like headless chickens? And simply refuse to put any sort of cover whatsoever on the slot areas and the crease?

Just because we are completely impotent at putting the puck in the net when we have good scoring chances, it doesn't mean the opponent will be. How some of this board tries to put blame on Hank for this loss is beyond me, you can never ask of your goalie to save near perfect shots and ricochettes.

Has Hank had a good season? He's had his fair share of bad goals and some bad games, perhaps a couple of more than his average. So what, it happens, but the law of averages will even out. It seems to be completely forgotten about all those games that he held the opposing teams at bay to collect points for us earlier this season. Yes, even when we sucked.

The "aggressive hockey" experiment isn't working. We have no game plan, at least not a game plan that the players seem to follow. It's more like the headless chicken game plan. NYR has been figured out after a month and we are being picked apart. Just like every year.
aside from that last paragraph, i agree totally.

The problems with our aggressive hockey are 2 fold. 1)young defense not knowing when to pinch and hold the puck, and when not to. make no mistake about it, our defense is VERY young and is going to mess up like this. 2)forwards arent putting near enough back pressure on.

fix those 2 and a lot of our problems disappear.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2009, 02:52 PM
bobbop
Henrik's Pop

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbop View Post
I was relegated to listening to the Tampa Bay radio broadcast until I threw in the towel tonight -- Can I get some objective notes on how Sanguinetti played?
May I please ask this again?

bobbop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2009, 02:57 PM
morffin

didnt look too bad .... I think he was a minus 1 ....made the plays he had to make..didnt really notice him too much which is more than we can say about a lot of our d man....not noticing a D Man is a good thing sometimes.

Sangs didnt stand out but didnt look lost or over matched...looked much better than he did in pre season.

morffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2009, 03:17 PM
we want cup
We do not Sow

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbop View Post
May I please ask this again?
Made a couple of nice passes, and a couple of good, solid, physical plays. Wasn't overly noticeable. I was very pleased with how he looked.

we want cup is offline   Reply With Quote