HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

WSH 4 MTL 3: Tough loss

Old
11-28-2009, 10:18 PM
JackZap

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldplay View Post
If you think he had no chance to save the 3rd goal at least then you have no clue what you're talking about. He can make big saves, but all we needed was one last stop in the dying seconds on a shot that would've been saved had he kept his stick on the ice.

He'll learn though, similar play in OT he kept his stick on the ice; I'm sure he's pissed at the outcome, that'll probably fire him up for the next game.
sure he might be pissed at that 3rd goal but u ask your goalie to make that 1st save, which he did. Price didnt lose the faceoff and he didnt blow coverage

JackZap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2009, 10:19 PM
habtastic

Quote:
Letting the puck squeak through his legs maybe? Jesus, all I said was he played a subpar game compared to his spectacular streak the last several games and all his defenders come jumping out.
Well it's cause (and I think this was unanimous amongst everyone at rds and tsn) that HE was the reason we were even able to be in this game. The three goals were not his fault, we are nitpicking. He was frigging solid against ovechkin. That in itself is enough to ask from any goalie. He made brilliant saves the whole game. The one he does let in, we dissect to death based on what he should have done in bullet time. He was just as good as he has been for the last while and if you could hear the Carey chants all game long, you'd agree.

What about the first save on Fleishmann in the SO, or even boxing out Ovie? Those weren't solid plays? What about the multiple diving stops and stretch saves he made? If we had won in the SO, I don't think people would have blamed him for the third goal. We're just letting our frustration colour things again. Clearly the definitive moment was that faceoff with 11 seconds left. That is as much on Pleky as is the goal being put past Price.

BTW, The timbits goalies could have stopped our SO attempts. Too slow, too obvious (lapierre's was ok). Even with gomez and gionta back, i'll still miss Kovy and Koivu. They were money in SOs.

habtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2009, 10:19 PM
Kirk Muller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
I am a Price fan, but I think the 1st and 3rd definitely could have been stopped. Price would probably say as much.

I still can't be displeased with his game tonight, especially after his early 2nd heroics with the score 2-0 and 2-1, but he was playing at a higher level last week.
I can say the first one is stoppable but the third one you have to factor in the shot of Ovechkin and where it came from. It was a one timer off the faceoff with Price having to move left to right then having to try and control a rebound then available to make the rebound save. I was actually surprised he stopped the first shot considering.

Kirk Muller is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2009, 10:20 PM
Coldplay
Courage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackZap View Post
sure he might be pissed at that 3rd goal but u ask your goalie to make that 1st save, which he did. Price didnt lose the faceoff and he didnt blow coverage
I agree, he wasn't only at fault for the last play. We could win some ****ing faceoffs too, that would be nice. My point was hockey is a game of centimeters, and had his stick been a centimeter or two closer to the ice, we'd all be celebrating right now.

Coldplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2009, 10:20 PM
Bob in Niagara

Quote:
If you think he had no chance to save the 3rd goal at least then you have no clue what you're talking about. He can make big saves, but all we needed was one last stop in the dying seconds on a shot that would've been saved had he kept his stick on the ice.

He'll learn though, similar play in OT he kept his stick on the ice; I'm sure he's pissed at the outcome, that'll probably fire him up for the next game.
If we win the faceoff...it's not an issue...again not Price's fault...nobody there to prevent Fehr from getting to the rebound either...Carey made a great save on the Ovechkin shot...but with it's velocity...impossible not to give up a rebound...it's easy to say now he should have had his stick on the ice...hindsight is always 20/20...Price played great in this game as usual

Bob in Niagara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2009, 10:21 PM
Mats NAslund

vCash: 50
When AK Gomez Pouliot Gionta are ready to play who sits?

I really don't want to see Pyatt and or White sent down. They play way too hard and are a pain in the ass for the opposing D. Sergei is proving he belongs in the NHL as well. Pacioretty has found his niche with Moen and Metropolit and is getting better every game.

Could a trade be on the horizon?

Staal is apparently available as is Horton.

What would it take to acquire either one.

Mats NAslund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2009, 10:22 PM
Randomhero

Quote:
I guess I was still livid that we were 11 seconds from running away with it

Compared to his last several games, he wasn't as good...I didn't say he was bad, just subpar IF you take his ridiculous streak into account.

Though subpar compared to his streak translates into a decent game otherwise, he did make some good stops.
Thats because there's a reason why its called "ridiculous".

I mean last second goals happen...its just that is seems it happens alittle too often with the habs. Maybe its just me that thinks that.

Randomhero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
couris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mats NAslund View Post
When AK Gomez Pouliot Gionta are ready to play who sits?

I really don't want to see Pyatt and or White sent down. They play way too hard and are a pain in the ass for the opposing D. Sergei is proving he belongs in the NHL as well. Pacioretty has found his niche with Moen and Metropolit and is getting better every game.

Could a trade be on the horizon?

Staal is apparently available as is Horton.

What would it take to acquire either one.
Leach chipchura wyman pyatt/white

couris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Andrighetto Fabolous
Ghetto

Leach 1:11 of ice time.

Andrighetto Fabolous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2009, 10:23 PM
MaKi
Marschak's #1 Fan

Quote:

It's not that simple though.
In order to make a blocker save he has to move his arm, which is holding his stick.
So he can't have his stick covering his five hole while making a blocker save.

MaKi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Coldplay
Courage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pernell Karl View Post
Leach 1:11 of ice time.
Amazing that he got put on the 4th line but Bergeron of all people played on defense. He was huge in the offensive zone, but absolutely trash in our end once more.

Old
m00ks

I expected 0 points. Came back and was poised for 1. Got in position for 2. Then lost 1 cuz we couldn't hold on with 11 seconds left. Sour taste in my mouth. I think I would have felt better with a loss. Of course I'd rather the point.

Great effort by the kids and let's keep it up. Gomez back on Tuesday and AK and Gionta soon after. Our offence will look that much better.

m00ks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Mats NAslund

Quote:
Anyone else loving Ryan White?
Pyatt and White have to stay even when the Gionta Gomez Pouliot and AK are ready.

Montreal is going to need to make a trade.......

Old
11-28-2009, 10:24 PM
deandebean

I see that some posters never played at the goalie position. Price was not subpar. Unless par for you is being superhuman.

1st goal: deflection in the slot. You can't do nothing there. 2nd goal: a 100MPH one-timer. Even the tv guys didn't see the puck go in...the puck stuck behind the back post.
3rd goal: first shot, a freakin' save on a one-timer by mister Rocket Richard Jr. The rebound wasn't controllable at that speed. And he got beat by the RJ Umberger clone.

This game wasn't won by the Caps; it was lost by the Habs. Namely Plekanets.

deandebean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2009, 10:25 PM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

I have one thing to say:

Can't wait to have Gomez, Gionta, Kostitsyn & Markov back in the lineup.

Missing what many we're touting as our first line pre-season, and our All-Star defenseman.

How good would Detroit be without Datsyuk, Franzen, Filpulla and Lidstrom? Last time I checked they are having a rough season, and only half the guys I listed we're gone. You get the idea.

Bob built this team with it being healthy in mind, with hopes of guys like Pacioretty and Price breaking out (or atleast return to form in Price). Right now we are seeing that. We are *easily* a playoff team with a healthy roster. Will it be too late for this season though? It could be... Time will tell.

JGRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2009, 10:25 PM
habtastic

lets all just agree that we had a great game and got bit in the ass in the last 11 seconds, that's why we might be overreacting. I think everyone is actually pretty ok with the result, just a little frustrated. Don't worry, we just showed that we can throw down with some of the best with half our normal team. Enough with the Taylor Hall comments, we are a team that can and probably will make the playoffs.

habtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2009, 10:27 PM
Andrighetto Fabolous
Ghetto

Quote:
Amazing that he got put on the 4th line but Bergeron of all people played on defense. He was huge in the offensive zone, but absolutely trash in our end once more.
I almost had a heart attack when I saw MAB and O'Byrne out with under 5 mins left.

Andrighetto Fabolous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Marc the Habs Fan
MVP

vCash: 567
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mats NAslund View Post

Staal is apparently available
They just signed him to a huge contract a year ago, I just can't see it. Wasn't this a hockeybuzz rumor anyway?

We need to beat the Leafs convincingly on Tuesday to make up for this game and then take 1 of the 2 games against the Sabres and Bruins.

Marc the Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Coldplay
Courage

Quote:
Originally Posted by deandebean View Post
I see that some posters never played at the goalie position. Price was not subpar. Unless par for you is being superhuman.

1st goal: deflection in the slot. You can't do nothing there. 2nd goal: a 100MPH one-timer. Even the tv guys didn't see the puck go in...the puck stuck behind the back post.
3rd goal: first shot, a freakin' save on a one-timer by mister Rocket Richard Jr. The rebound wasn't controllable at that speed. And he got beat by the RJ Umberger clone.

This game wasn't won by the Caps; it was lost by the Habs. Namely Plekanets.
I actually play goalie.

2nd goal I agree, no chance. 1st goal wasn't impossible either, I've seen goalies make that save before, it can be done, maybe it's just Price hasn't reached his next level yet.

Dude, goalies are instructed to recover after a shot and go into butterfly block with the stick flat on the ice and their arms tight against their bodies. That's what any goalie should do and Price didn't do that, it was definitely a stoppable rebound.

Again, this loss isn't on Price, I'm glad we played like we did.

Old
11-28-2009, 10:28 PM
Coldplay
Courage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pernell Karl View Post
I almost had a heart attack when I saw MAB and O'Byrne out with under 5 mins left.
Jesus. O'Byrne not so much, but yeah, MAB on the ice at any point while defending a lead in the 3rd is flat out **** your pants scary.

Old
11-28-2009, 10:28 PM
Mats NAslund

Quote:
Originally Posted by couris View Post
Leach chipchura wyman pyatt/white
I have to admit I forgot about Leach and Wyman.

Pyatt Lapierre White make a fantastic forth line....I don't want to see either one of them sent down.
I think if Montreal sends Chipchura down he has to clear waivers. Someone will grab him!

Although not a huge loss, I'm sure Montreal will lose him at years end anyway as he's a UFA.

Still when all forwards are back someone has to go

Gomez Gionta AK Laraque and Pouliot (who can be sent to the AHL and not have to pass through waivers)

Old
11-28-2009, 10:29 PM
BaseballCoach

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacKmtl View Post
Martin is going to have some tough decisions to make if our team gets healthy.

I don't know how you can scratch or demote White/Pyatt the way they are playing, and we have 3 extra forwards by my count in Dager/Pouliot/Laraque.
Return JT Wyman
Waive Laraque
Send D'Ago for 2-week conditioning stint once he is FULLY recovered from the knee injury. You know, it's not good to rush those things.

Trade Gill, Chipchura

Markov the last remaining guy on IR.shots, Price included.
He made some key stops that let us get back into the game.
This team is playing with essentialy 3 lines, so once we get gio-gomez-akost-dager-pouliot back we will be able to ice 4 lines.
That might help us keep our intensity right to the end of the game.
White/Pyatt are playing so well it's unbelievable.

Martin is going to have some tough decisions to make if our team gets healthy.
I don't know how you can scratch or demote White/Pyatt the way they are playing, and we have 3 extra forwards by my count in Dager/Pouliot/Laraque.[/QUOTE]

BaseballCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2009, 10:30 PM
Souvenirs

Man there are really some posters here (or Allan Walsh?) who wait for the game where Price is not superman to come and bash him...he's playing like a number 1 right now and gives us a chance to win every night.

Look at our roster and how we were still able to compete. I'm impressed. I knew we were going to lose in the shootout though, none of our players are able to score there since Gomez and Gionta are out.

If this team starts the year healthy they make the playoffs. Unfortunately losing Markov and Gionta for a long stretch is not helping us as well as missing Gomez and Akost. We're really short on scoring depth and yet we still compete.

Souvenirs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2009, 10:30 PM
Coldplay
Courage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
They just signed him to a huge contract a year ago, I just can't see it. Wasn't this a hockeybuzz rumor anyway?

We need to beat the Leafs convincingly on Tuesday to make up for this game and then take 1 of the 2 games against the Sabres and Bruins.
Yeah, it was a hockeybuzz rumour. I think we can take all 3 games if we get Gomer and AKost back soon, I'm confident we'll at least give those teams all a run for their money. If there's anything we showed tonight, it's that we can compete, we just need our top guns back.

Old
11-28-2009, 10:32 PM
znk

Quote:
Price was subpar tonight, 3 suspect goals, not solid at all.

With some better positioning on the 1st and 3rd goals, we would've won easily.

Other than that, good effort by the boys.
Yeah...those breakaway's and rebounds he stopped during the game were subpar.

znk is offline   Reply With Quote