HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Backup goalie situation

Old
11-29-2009, 12:59 AM
Brooklyn Ranger

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynHockey99 View Post
Chad has NOT been lit up. He had a slow first couple of games, but has been dominant since. The guy's GAA is something like 2.04.
It's wonderful that Johnson is doing well, however, it will neither help his devleopment nor help the Rangers to bring him up to the NHL.

Brooklyn Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2009, 01:24 AM
Whoot Whoot
Biased-NYR-Homer

He doesn't deserve to come here and sit on the bench. Nor does he deserve to start over henrik. Have patience, Vally just had a bad game.

Whoot Whoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2009, 04:08 AM
Radek27

Send a message via AIM to Radek27
Well Hank god lit up lastnight why not replace him too? Sheesh, did Vally let in a couple bad ones? Sure but I won't lay the blame on him. When your giving up 2 on 0 breakaways after letting in 12 goals in 2 games I don't think thats the goalie. And the person I blame most for lastnights loss was our head coach. Can anyone name ONE good coaching move this man made lastnight? I can name a bunch the Pens coach made.

Radek27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2009, 06:28 AM
WhiskeyDeke
Shut up, Keith.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whoot Whoot View Post
Vally just had a bad game.
How many times can we say that in one season before a pattern emerges?

WhiskeyDeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2009, 07:53 AM
jniklast

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfzr2 View Post
How many times can we say that in one season before a pattern emerges?
I think this season he had two bad games, against SJ and the Pens. Those are pretty much the two best offenses in the league, and I think you just shouldn't play a backup against them. He is the backup for a reason...

jniklast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2009, 09:19 AM
ak10r
HFBoards Sponsor

I don’t know how the contracts works moving the players between the NHL and AHL, but getting Vally more game time in the net would be helpful.

Is it possible to send him to Hartford for ten days to two weeks so he can get back to back to back games? It would sharpen his timing and get him use to other shooters besides other Rangers in practice. He could easily be called back in an emergency. Johnson or Zaba could be back-up and perhaps get a game in a NHL to evaluate where they are in the pecking order.

It must be difficult to only face the same shooters in practice day after day then every couple of weeks be 100 % for one game in the NHL.

ak10r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2009, 09:37 AM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whoot Whoot View Post
Have patience, Vally just had a bad game.
I think you can EITHER go with an inexperienced defense against the Champions, OR your backup goaltender, but not both, because both had bad games and this is the result.

In a nutshell, ideal or not, I think you have to ride Henrik until Redden is back.

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2009, 10:29 AM
Loffen
Wen Kroy

With the pathetic D-Coverage that has happened in 90% of the games over the last month, there's no wonder why the goals against keeps on getting higher. The opposition gets in the zone unmarked and is being left open.

Some off the goals can be blamed on both Hank and Vally, but most off 'em are because off the inept defense we have. The system is cleary NOT working...

But again, starting Vally against PIT was the wrong the choice. Vally should've played in Tampa and Hank in Pittsburgh.

Loffen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2009, 11:19 AM
bobbop
Henrik's Pop

I've never been a big fan. He comes up big one night that melts down the next. If Henrik ever went down for a month, the team would be screwed (or using Chad Johnson)

bobbop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2009, 11:48 AM
WhiskeyDeke
Shut up, Keith.

He can't even hack it in the AHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howlings.net
After clearing waivers from the NY Rangers this week, and with Chad Johnson promoted to the Big Apple, veteran netminder Steven Valiquette got his first start for the Pack since February 2007. The amiable 6’6” 225 pounder unfortunately played as if this was his first game since. He was stiff and was more rusty than the Tin Man in The Wizard of Oz. Valiquette surrendered three goals on nine shots in the first 9:21 before getting the hook from Head Coach Ken Gernander.

Valiquette’s replacement, Matt Zaba, also looking to regain his form and confidence, gave up two goals on four shots in 10:39 of service in the first before Valiquette came back in to start the second period and went the rest of the way and coughed up twop more tallies.

WhiskeyDeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2009, 01:01 PM
ak10r
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfzr2 View Post
He can't even hack it in the AHL
Now you’re just busting his balz……

he did have a shut-out in against Anaheim this year….

Old
12-05-2009, 02:05 PM
Emptyvoid

Quote:
Originally Posted by ak10r View Post
Now you’re just busting his balz……

he did have a shut-out in against Anaheim this year….
Vally didn't have to work extremely hard for that shutout...the rangers played their one and only complete full 60 minute perfect effort and execution game (only 1 bad give away from Staal that i remember that lead to a good scoring chance)

Dan Cloutier could've gotten a shutout that night.

Emptyvoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2009, 02:11 PM
Komarov47

So is Johnson you official back-up?

Komarov47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2009, 02:37 PM
ak10r
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussianRangersFan View Post
Vally didn't have to work extremely hard for that shutout...the rangers played their one and only complete full 60 minute perfect effort and execution game (only 1 bad give away from Staal that i remember that lead to a good scoring chance)

Dan Cloutier could've gotten a shutout that night.
So when the goalie gets pelted and gives up four or five goals he’s doing a bad job, and when he gets a shut out he’s not doing a good job? Just kidding… Vally and the team did a great job against the ducks…. If you happen to come across that team please tell them to show up in Buffalo tonight!

My point to the golf ball was he doesn’t need to kick a man when he’s down. When I read that about Vallly on the wolf pack thread I felt his pain…. What a week.

Old
12-05-2009, 03:25 PM
McRanger

Quote:
So when the goalie gets pelted and gives up four or five goals he’s doing a bad job, and when he gets a shut out he’s not doing a good job? Just kidding… Vally and the team did a great job against the ducks…. If you happen to come across that team please tell them to show up in Buffalo tonight!
Valiquette faced 18 total shots, and almost none of them were quality. He faced 1 shot in the the entire first period. And then 6 in the last period. Jason Muzzatti would have gotten a shutout in that game.

McRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2009, 04:32 PM
ak10r
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by McRanger View Post
Valiquette faced 18 total shots, and almost none of them were quality. He faced 1 shot in the the entire first period. And then 6 in the last period. Jason Muzzatti would have gotten a shutout in that game.
Quote:
My point to the golf ball was he doesn’t need to kick a man when he’s down. When I read that about Vallly on the wolf pack thread I felt his pain…. What a week.
That’s all….. not claiming that he’s been a great goalie this year. I guess I should have referenced the Philly games last year…… Show Vally a little empathy……

Old
12-05-2009, 04:50 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by McRanger View Post
So, either you didn't see the 2nd period or forgot about it all together. That's where Valliquette made a number of good saves to preserve the shutout and ultimately win the game.

Brooklyn Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote