HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Monarchs play today 12/15 @ 9:15 AM PST

Closed Thread

Old
12-16-2004, 03:11 AM
Albi

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Albi
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkeMustGoDotCom
exactly. and by looking at the box score this may have been their worst game yet. yeah they lost in a shootout and got the point but they were outshot very badly and had what? 14 SOG? ack.
on the bright side Manchester picks up a point on Hartford who lost in regualtion at home to the Baby Bruins 3-2.
I was wondering if they could be a bit tired.
And another thing: maybe it's just a coincidence, but the problems started when Smyth went down. Just a thought...

Old
12-16-2004, 03:19 AM
TonySCV
Two Timer!

The lack of D is really starting to hurt them. Their D corps has been in BAD shape for several games now.

Old
12-16-2004, 07:42 AM
ReggieMoto

Send a message via Yahoo to ReggieMoto
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonySCV
The lack of D is really starting to hurt them. Their D corps has been in BAD shape for several games now.
Perhaps but they are skating the same defensive lines they started the season with. The biggest differences between the start of the season and now is the loss of Smyth and Flinn and the pickup of Parros. As a result of Smyth's absence, the lines got shifted around: Clarke ended up on the first line and Hogeboom ended up on the second. I don't know exactly what to make of the Parros/Flinn exchange.

Frankly I think the line changes probably had the most impact. With the arrival of Holland, and the return of Smyth - whenever that is - I think you'll see some improvement in play. But of all of the changes, I think we need to get Smyth back in the lineup.

Old
12-16-2004, 09:04 AM
King Blazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReggieMoto
Perhaps but they are skating the same defensive lines they started the season with. The biggest differences between the start of the season and now is the loss of Smyth and Flinn and the pickup of Parros. As a result of Smyth's absence, the lines got shifted around: Clarke ended up on the first line and Hogeboom ended up on the second. I don't know exactly what to make of the Parros/Flinn exchange.

Frankly I think the line changes probably had the most impact. With the arrival of Holland, and the return of Smyth - whenever that is - I think you'll see some improvement in play. But of all of the changes, I think we need to get Smyth back in the lineup.
I think it's a combination of things and yes, Smyth being out for as long as he has and the line combination changes that happened as a result are likely contributing. Also, I think the referees have lightened-up on calling the holding, hooking, obstruction, and everything that allows slower teams to stay in the game. We all figured when (as they always do at the beginning of the season) the AHL said they were really going to crack down on the clutching and stuff it would be short lived, and it was. Bottom line is that when Monarchs opponents were forced to try and "skate" with them, they couldn't. Now that the opponents are being allowed to "cheat", it's a completely different dynamic on the ice. This is where a player like Steve Kelly is really missed. Say what you want about Kelly's game in the NHL. At the AHL level he was one of the best I've ever seen at being able to work through the clutching, hooking etc. and retain possession of the puck. He could hold onto the puck with guys hanging all over him, drawing double coverage on many occasions which, allowed his wings (most times Rosa last year) to find the gaps in the defense....Kostopoulos does a good job at holding onto the puck, Smyth is OK at it. Neither has shown me anything close to what Kelly can do when it comes to holding onto a puck long enough for a linemate to find a gap and get it to him...

Old
12-16-2004, 09:45 AM
ReggieMoto

Send a message via Yahoo to ReggieMoto
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonySCV
Also, with regard to the D specifically, we (the Monarchs) seemed to have given up a real good opportunity to enhance the size and quality of the D when we had called up Adam Borzecki while Doug Nolan was recovering from an injury. For some reason we sent Borzecki back and held onto Milam, whose play has been less than stellar of late.

Milam, 6' 0", 188 lbs.
Holland, 6' 3", 219 lbs.
Borzecki 6' 2", 205 lbs.

In a story from the Manchester Union Leader this morning, the Kings' assistant GM Gary Gilmore was quoted as saying, "Jason fits the criteria we had in mind. We're adding experience and size to a defensive corps that lacks size." Given that the team acknowledges they need some size, and comparing Milam's on-ice performance to Borzecki's, the question remains (and should be answered) why we kept Troy Milam instead of Adam Borzecki when Nolan returned from the IR.

Old
12-16-2004, 01:32 PM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albi
I was wondering if they could be a bit tired.
And another thing: maybe it's just a coincidence, but the problems started when Smyth went down. Just a thought...
could be. there are in the middle of a 7 games in 11 day schedule. But i believe some of the teams we will be playing this weekend are in the same boat. Granted they have the luxury of playing at home but still they are probably tired as well. I agree with you on Smyth. I dont think its a considence.
Thats the price the Monarchs have paid this season on the PP thou, giving up those short handers at an alarming rate. The defenseman pinch in sometimes on the PP. creating more chances for breakaway short handers.
I would like to see BB give Hauser a couple of starts this weekend, because Garon really has been fighting it lately to get back on track. i know he thinks he can play through it but giving Hauser a couple of starts this weekend can't hurt.

Closed Thread