HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

How good is Dale Weise?

Old
11-29-2009, 10:08 AM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

vCash: 500
How good is Dale Weise?

Has anyone had a chance to see him regularly this year? He seems like a good prospect. Almost a point per game as a 21-year-old and +9. He is also 6-foot-2 206 pounds.

He has 26 penalty minutes. Is that a good sign or bad? Was he playing tough or stupid?

I think he might be a solid player for us, beginning next season. Everyone has Byers pegged as our fourth liner with Boyle and Brash next year, but could Weise be a better option?

Many here believe that Boyle has some potential, so would not he be better off with a more skilled player like Weise than a banger like Byers? If Byers can't hit even 60 points in the AHL as a 24 year old, what are the odds that he'll wind up scoring in the NHL even on third line level (12-15 goals, 20-22 assists).

Last edited by Beacon: 11-29-2009 at 11:10 AM.
Beacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2009, 12:39 PM
Dagoon44

Send a message via AIM to Dagoon44 Send a message via Yahoo to Dagoon44
He could be a Callahan type player or a Boyle he needs to find consistency

Dagoon44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2009, 12:45 PM
Leslie Treff
Hockey's Future Staff

An excellent young right winger, who has third line potential. The Rangers are very high on him, but are letting him develop in the AHL at this point. The organization is not deep at all in this position, and although it was their intent to have him play the entire season in the AHL, they may call him up at some point and give him a try.

Personally, I think he should be kept in Hartford for at least a couple more months.

Leslie Treff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2009, 12:52 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leslie Treff View Post
An excellent young right winger, who has third line potential. The Rangers are very high on him, but are letting him develop in the AHL at this point. The organization is not deep at all in this position, and although it was their intent to have him play the entire season in the AHL, they may call him up at some point and give him a try.

Personally, I think he should be kept in Hartford for at least a couple more months.
I agree. I think a full year in Hartford will do wonders for his game. And his confidence as well.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2009, 01:26 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

I agree with Leslie and NYR2k2 about keeping him in the minors for now. I am big on letting kids develop and not rushing him. I would play in Hart until the end of the season and then let him take a run at making the team during the pre-season.

Old
11-29-2009, 01:38 PM
hlundqvist30*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynHockey99 View Post
I agree with Leslie and NYR2k2 about keeping him in the minors for now. I am big on letting kids develop and not rushing him. I would play in Hart until the end of the season and then let him take a run at making the team during the pre-season.
Same. I just cringe when thinking about what we did to Malhotra by rushing him. In recent years we have done a very good job of fully developing players before testing them. A lot of teams would have just stuck Sanguinetti and Anisimov in the NHL last year and hoped for the best. Instead we were patient and look at how far they have progressed since. That's why I don't want Grachev anywhere near the NHL this year. It's just not worth it. He's 19 and in his first pro season. We'll see how he looks in training camp next year.

My point being this, ultimately. COULD Weise play in the NHL right now? Maybe. Is it worth finding out at this point? No. He wouldn't really be an upgrade over anybody, and he's only 21 years old and in his 2nd professional season. Let him spend a full year in Hartford and we'll see what he looks like next year.

I wasn't a fan of Weise initially when we picked him, but he's been as good as you could realistically expect a late 4th round pick to be.

hlundqvist30* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2009, 02:00 PM
McDonagh
Slow it down 30GHz

vCash: 1350
I love the 2008 draft.

McDonagh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2009, 02:01 PM
Jarkko Immonen
#42 Artem Anisimov

Send a message via AIM to Jarkko Immonen
Weise is pretty damn good. He's been one of my favorites to watch this year and last. He's come on strong lately. Definitely look out for him next year. And yeah those penalty minutes are from him playing mostly tough, he isn't afraid to drop the gloves.

Jarkko Immonen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2009, 05:56 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynHockey99 View Post
It's a good philosophy--let's hope the next time Valliquette has a bad game people follow it regarding Johnson too.

Brooklyn Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2009, 06:05 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

vCash: 50
I know he was our prospects captain, any future captaincy potential?

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2009, 06:08 PM
Leslie Treff
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy View Post
I know he was our prospects captain, any future captaincy potential?
Yes, he is most definitely a leader. Giving him the captaincy in Traverse City was an excellent idea. I constantly saw him taking the lead on things, pushing his teammates and giving them support when needed. I was impressed with his leadership capabilities.

Leslie Treff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2009, 06:41 PM
Leetch66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarkko Immonen View Post
Weise is pretty damn good. He's been one of my favorites to watch this year and last. He's come on strong lately. Definitely look out for him next year. And yeah those penalty minutes are from him playing mostly tough, he isn't afraid to drop the gloves.

Well if he can "drop the gloves"...that's one step in the right direction .

Leetch66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2009, 11:29 PM
SouvenirCity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grachev View Post
I love the 2008 draft.
Makes up for all the pain of Montoya/Jessiman

SouvenirCity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2009, 12:46 AM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouvenirCity View Post
Makes up for all the pain of Montoya/Jessiman
Not yet. Let's see how the 2008 draft pans out.

Old
11-30-2009, 06:40 AM
XthedoodX

Saw him play on saturday against Providence, definitely threw his body, went to the net, and had pretty good wheels. 3rd line potential sounds about right, unfortunately no one really stood out to me at all, maybe potter looked most ready for the nhl, but grachev has a long way to go and the wolfpack can't really provide too much help other than potter and byers at this point

XthedoodX is offline   Reply With Quote