HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

UPDATE: Cooke suspended 2 games, fined 30k for hit on Anisimov

Closed Thread

Old
11-29-2009, 11:57 AM
The Perfect Paradox

vCash: 50
UPDATE: Cooke suspended 2 games, fined 30k for hit on Anisimov

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/teams/story/?i...me=nhl-rangers

Quote:
Sources tell TSN that the National hockey League is looking at Pittsburgh Penguin Matt Cooke's hit on New York Rangers' Artem Anisimov, but there's not expected to be any further action on Atlanta's Colby Armstrong for his hit on Philadelphia's James van Riemsdyk on Saturday.
EDIT- Cooke suspended and fined.

Quote:
NHL suspends #Penguins Matt Cooke for two games and fines him $29,268.30 for his hit on #NYRangers rookie Artem Anisimov on Saturday.
http://twitter.com/agrossrecord

Last edited by The Perfect Paradox: 11-29-2009 at 07:00 PM.
Old
11-29-2009, 01:05 PM
morffin

vCash: 500
Screw the NHL ...someone - ANYONE...should take this pc of crap out on his first shift Monday.

But knowing this heartless group Im sure nobody will.

Torts should start Brash and Voros on the opening faceoff..

god I just read that ....how friggin sad we have to rely on those two to use as enforcers.

Old
11-29-2009, 01:19 PM
Declan
HFB Partner

If those types of hits are allowed in the game (which the league basically said when they didn't punish Richards for his hit on Booth) then there shouldn't be a suspension for this. IMO it was the same play.

Which doesn't mean that the NYRs still shouldn't stand up for their teammate and send the message that it won't be tolerated

Old
11-29-2009, 02:08 PM
The Perfect Paradox

Quote:
Originally Posted by morffin View Post
Screw the NHL ...someone - ANYONE...should take this pc of crap out on his first shift Monday.

But knowing this heartless group Im sure nobody will.

Torts should start Brash and Voros on the opening faceoff..

god I just read that ....how friggin sad we have to rely on those two to use as enforcers.
Even if he did put them out, what are they going to do? Oh, that's right nothing. This team is so god damn soft. At most all they'll do is fight and throw a few punches. If Brashear was actually willing to do something back, I'd be happy to let him open up the game. But, we all know they won't do anything. I know you said their heartless, but I felt like I needed to vent that .

This team pisses me off.

Old
11-29-2009, 02:12 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Orr's hit on Cullen a few years back was worse, no one was calling for him to be taken out.

Old
11-29-2009, 02:16 PM
Dagoon44

Send a message via AIM to Dagoon44 Send a message via Yahoo to Dagoon44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy View Post
Orr's hit on Cullen a few years back was worse, no one was calling for him to be taken out.
You bring that hit up every single time something like this comes up. Move on bro . Get over it. He was a Ranger we don't beg for our guys to get suspended. Fitz I swear not a Rangers fan sometimes

Old
11-29-2009, 02:38 PM
silverfish
Mr. Glass

And they're not looking into what Avery did to Fedotenko?

Shocking, brilliant, alright

To be honest I hope they let Cooke play on Monday. I want to see if the team is tough enough to give him what he deserves.

Old
11-29-2009, 02:51 PM
yankeecpt15

please don't suspend him...take matters into our own hands monday night

Old
11-29-2009, 02:52 PM
beastly115

I was just looking at the Pens board. Those morons are actually comparing Avery on Fedotenko to the Bertuzzi incident!! WOW. They've officially hit an all time low.

As for Cooke, doubt there will be a suspension. It was similar to the Boothe hit.

Old
11-29-2009, 03:08 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaqup View Post
I was just looking at the Pens board. Those morons are actually comparing Avery on Fedotenko to the Bertuzzi incident!! WOW. They've officially hit an all time low.
Thats fairly predictable. They were fairly similar in context action and intent, its just that the ultimate result was vastly different. In Fedotenkos case he was ok, Steve Moore was never the same.

Still another play from Avery that had me shaking my head. Brashear and Callahan had the right idea.

Old
11-29-2009, 03:18 PM
OverTheCap

Quote:
Thats fairly predictable. They were fairly similar in context action and intent, its just that the ultimate result was vastly different. In Fedotenkos case he was ok, Steve Moore was never the same.

Still another play from Avery that had me shaking my head. Brashear and Callahan had the right idea.
Bertuzzi trailed Moore from behind, grabbed a hold of his jersey and sucker punched him, then tackled him head-first to the ice.

Avery caught Fedotenko from behind but then spinned him around to face him so they can fight. Not a smart act but vastly different from what Bertuzzi did to Moore.

Micheletti tended to overexaggerate a bit as well, "I don't agree with Avery jumping on anyone's back." There was no "jumping" of any kind going on.

Old
11-29-2009, 03:20 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:

I don't think so Fitzy. Bertuzzi tackled someone from behind, drove him to the ice and pummeled him. Avery jumped a guy from behind and tried to fight him. I don't think that's at all similar, other than being from behind.

It's just pain.
Old
11-29-2009, 03:24 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

When I look at the plays, the biggest difference I see is the result due to the size of players. I dont think Bertuzzi meant to smash Moore's face into the ice, more s result of his massive size difference.

I dont think Avery had any intention of having a fair fight. I think he meant to cause fedo as much pain as possible.

Old
11-29-2009, 03:24 PM
Ih8theislanders
Full-kit ****ers

Quote:

It looked like Fedo tried to slewfoot him...

Old
11-29-2009, 03:28 PM
OverTheCap

Quote:
When I look at the plays, the biggest difference I see is the result due to the size of players. I dont think Bertuzzi meant to smash Moore's face into the ice, more s result of his massive size difference.

I dont think Avery had any intention of having a fair fight. I think he meant to cause fedo as much pain as possible.
Seriously? I know you hate Avery but your bias is really clouding your judgment here.

Avery didn't even intend to take down Fedotenko, he spun him around to fight him. Like nyr2k2 said, the only similarity between those 2 situations is that they came from behind.

Old
11-29-2009, 03:32 PM
macleod50

I'd love to see Brashear get his hands on him Monday night.

Old
11-29-2009, 03:32 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:

I don't know, man... We all know I love Avery, but I'm the first to point out when he does something stupid, and the last to defend him when he doesn't warrant defending. But that play really has zero similarity to what Bertuzzi did.

Old
11-29-2009, 03:37 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

I'm not saying he should get the same punishment. but as far as similarities go they were both retaliatory(albeit Fedo was more or less innocent, pending the slew-foot charges), both from behind as has been said, and both were a sucker punch of sorts. If Avery doesnt sucker punch as hard as Bertuzzi its good, probly saved him a 10 game suspension.

But I see intent on the play. Which is too bad because of all the Rangers Avery was having an ok game. I was sure he would be suspended mandatorially but as it turned out there was more than 5 minutes to go in the game.

Old
11-29-2009, 03:39 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
I guess we'll have to agree to disagree. I'm just not seeing the similarities--other than being from behind, as I said.

Either way, I hope he's not suspended. He's one of the few players we have that aren't playing horribly right now.

Old
11-29-2009, 03:55 PM
Ail
k.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
I guess we'll have to agree to disagree. I'm just not seeing the similarities--other than being from behind, as I said.

Either way, I hope he's not suspended. He's one of the few players we have that aren't playing horribly right now.
Agreed. I didn't catch the slew-foot personally, but as ridiculous as Avery is, he is not stupid. He's not going to do something he knows will potentially get him suspended without a pretty good reason.

11-29-2009, 04:24 PM
JerseyRangers

I think Fitzy's hate for Avery is clouding his judgement. First off their was a clear slew foot attempt by Fedetenko on Avery. Maybe, just maybe, Avery is getting sick and tired of being cheapshotted on every occasion with the refs turning their backs. Maybe he finally said the heck with it I'm going to go after this turd. My only regret is that he didn't drive Fedetenko's head into the ice ala Bertuzzi on Moore.

The NHL is allowing teams to take shots on Ranger players time and time again without any penalties being called. Sure they will hand out suspensions afterwards but that doesn't serve as any sort of deterrent. Want proof? Look no further than Betts in the playoffs and Drury this season. Both suffered concussions, neither time was a player penalized and both times the NHL issued suspensions after the incident. WHO THE F CARES????

Personally, on Monday I would send out Voros and Brashear with the instructions to drive Crybaby's or Lurches head into the boards from behind. I don't care if they are concussed or not. After the slew foot attempt and the flying Matt Cooke check, a message needs to be sent by the Rangers. We've spent too many years turning the other cheek!

Old
11-29-2009, 04:41 PM
Kunitziwa

vCash: 200
Send a message via AIM to Kunitziwa
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyRangers View Post
I think Fitzy's hate for Avery is clouding his judgement. First off their was a clear slew foot attempt by Fedetenko on Avery. Maybe, just maybe, Avery is getting sick and tired of being cheapshotted on every occasion with the refs turning their backs. Maybe he finally said the heck with it I'm going to go after this turd. My only regret is that he didn't drive Fedetenko's head into the ice ala Bertuzzi on Moore.

The NHL is allowing teams to take shots on Ranger players time and time again without any penalties being called. Sure they will hand out suspensions afterwards but that doesn't serve as any sort of deterrent. Want proof? Look no further than Betts in the playoffs and Drury this season. Both suffered concussions, neither time was a player penalized and both times the NHL issued suspensions after the incident. WHO THE F CARES????

Personally, on Monday I would send out Voros and Brashear with the instructions to drive Crybaby's or Lurches head into the boards from behind. I don't care if they are concussed or not. After the slew foot attempt and the flying Matt Cooke check, a message needs to be sent by the Rangers. We've spent too many years turning the other cheek!
I think you forgot your foil hat. Idk what the big deal is, it sucks that Anisimov may be hurt, but I don't think Cooke intended to hit him in the head. He drove up into the hit but Anisimov is listed as 6'4" Cooke is 5'11", his hands were down and he didn't leave his feet. His reputation makes people think otherwise though. he shouldn't be suspended.

Comparing Avery/Fedotenko to Bertuzzi/Moore is pretty ridiculous. It was gutless move by Avery...but what else would you expect from him, He took a direct shot at Crosby's head too. O well nothing came from it. I didn't see a slew foot attempt by Feds but maybe he did, idk hard to tell, its hard to believe someone would attack someone from behind without reason, but since it was Avery, with his reputation, it makes it a possibility.

Old
11-29-2009, 04:49 PM
eco's bones

I'm not going to say Avery didn't overreact but right before the incident Fedotenko's skate whether intentional or not clipped the heel of Avery's skate and it may be that Sean felt he tried to slewfoot him.

As for Cooke--by all means get even with him if a chance presents itself but best not to go looking for it. It plays into his game--makes him more effective. A better strategy would be to target Pittsburgh's best players--take the leash off of Avery for one. Better that they're off their game and angry--than us. Just saying.

Old
11-29-2009, 04:52 PM
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato

I still maintain that Cooke's hit was clean within the rules as they currently exist. Debate changing the rules all you want, but the fact of the matter is that hits like that are currently a part of the game. Scott Stevens made a career out of catching players with their heads down / watching their passes.

11-29-2009, 04:56 PM
eco's bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by StaalForOne View Post
I think you forgot your foil hat. Idk what the big deal is, it sucks that Anisimov may be hurt, but I don't think Cooke intended to hit him in the head. He drove up into the hit but Anisimov is listed as 6'4" Cooke is 5'11", his hands were down and he didn't leave his feet. His reputation makes people think otherwise though. he shouldn't be suspended.

Comparing Avery/Fedotenko to Bertuzzi/Moore is pretty ridiculous. It was gutless move by Avery...but what else would you expect from him, He took a direct shot at Crosby's head too. O well nothing came from it. I didn't see a slew foot attempt by Feds but maybe he did, idk hard to tell, its hard to believe someone would attack someone from behind without reason, but since it was Avery, with his reputation, it makes it a possibility.
I'd rather compare Cooke and Avery to be honest. You can throw in Burrows, Tootoo, Ott, Kaleta, Clutterbuck, Ruuttu brothers and a few others. It's bs that fans think that their guy is pure as snow and the other guys listed above are the *******s. The fact is they're all *******s on the ice--that their effectiveness comes from that. I'm alway reading all kinds of justifications for why 'my player' isn't which are really laughable.

Closed Thread