HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Nyr/la

Old
11-29-2009, 05:06 PM
TheHotRock

vCash: 500
Nyr/la

Girardi, Callahan, Lisin, 4th

Frolov

would you do it? do you think they would do it?

now, i like both girardi and cally, but i'd take the chance on frolov...even if he is a ufa this summer. the problem is who would step into girardi's spot. i personally wouldn't mind letting a rookie have it, but i know many would feel like having 3 rooks in your top 6 is suicide.

frolov is a star and i think he'd mesh well with anisimov (not just bc they are both russian) and we'd probably be able to bring him back this summer at around 4 mil.

flame on

TheHotRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2009, 05:10 PM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

I think that's a tad much for Frolov, who he himself is inconsistent.

Maybe Girardi and a 3rd for Frolov, if not you can add Lisin.

hpNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2009, 05:10 PM
Carl Hagelins Flow
Flow Status: AMAZING

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHotRock View Post

Frolov

now, i like both girardi and cally, but i'd take the chance on frolov...even if he is a ufa this summer. the problem is who would step into girardi's spot. i personally wouldn't mind letting a rookie have it, but i know many would feel like having 3 rooks in your top 6 is suicide.

frolov is a star and i think he'd mesh well with anisimov (not just bc they are both russian) and we'd probably be able to bring him back this summer at around 4 mil.

flame on
All of that for Frolov? You're joking right? He is a 2nd line leftwing at best.

I have him on my fantasy team and therefore pay attention to how he plays and he has 6 goals, 12 assists and is a -6 thus far, and was scratched by the kings recently for attitude problems. I am wary about that, especially after Zherdev.

I think he's a good player, but you are giving up a decent 2nd/3rd pair defenseman, the league leader in hits and another 3rd line grinder (lisin and callahan), plus a pick for this guy? No thanks.

Carl Hagelins Flow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2009, 05:12 PM
Radek27

Send a message via AIM to Radek27
I don't think Frolov is what we need right now so pass.

Radek27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2009, 05:12 PM
TheHotRock

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedsBlueforNYR View Post
Frolov? You're joking right? You sure you aren't thinking of somebody else? He is a 2nd line leftwing at best.

I have him on my fantasy team and therefore pay attention to how he plays and he has 6 goals, 12 assists and is a -6 thus far, and was scratched by the kings recently for attitude.

I think he's a good player, but you are giving up a decent 2nd/3rd pair defenseman, the league leader in hits and another 3rd line grinder (lisin and callahan), plus a pick for this guy? No thanks.
having him on your fantasy team means you pay attention to his numbers. you probably haven't seen him PLAY all season.

Old
11-29-2009, 05:13 PM
Radek27

Quote:
having him on your fantasy team means you pay attention to his numbers. you probably haven't seen him PLAY all season.
The Rangers are a soft team, your gonna trade Callahan who is one of the most physical players, for Frolov who is also soft. We need some physical players, esp on the blueline.

Old
11-29-2009, 05:14 PM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radek27 View Post
I don't think Frolov is what we need right now so pass.
I'm not sure I agree with that. With Frolov comes some size and scoring. We need both.

Old
11-29-2009, 05:14 PM
Carl Hagelins Flow

Quote:
Wrong. I have centerice and periodically watch LA kings games when the Rangers finish (10 pm starts help out well in that regard), plus it is fun to watch Anze Kopitar play as well.

Old
11-29-2009, 05:15 PM
TheHotRock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radek27 View Post
The Rangers are a soft team, your gonna trade Callahan who is one of the most physical players, for Frolov who is also soft. We need some physical players, esp on the blueline.
we can't score. frolov is a big boy with good hands. on a line with anisimov, they'd keep the puck deep and work a solid cycle.

Old
11-29-2009, 05:17 PM
realitystrikes*

Seems pretty fair. Frolov is inconsistent, but still an inconsistent Frolov is better than anyone else on the Rangers outside Gaborik. Let alone trading him for Lisin, who is a bust, Callahan who's a great role player but thats it, and Girardi who seems to be on his way out anyway.

realitystrikes* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2009, 05:18 PM
Carl Hagelins Flow

Quote:
we can't score. frolov is a big boy with good hands. on a line with anisimov, they'd keep the puck deep and work a solid cycle.
Just for the sake of argument if we do package girardi in a trade for him, who do you replace with? Do we run 3 veteran defensemen for the remainder of the year? What happens if Staal, Rozi or Redden get hurt (again)? We need another defenseman first before we even consider sending one in a trade, preferably a crease clearing physical shutdown guy.

Old
11-29-2009, 05:19 PM
OverTheCap

Not bad. I'd be concerned about the loss of Girardi on defense.

We have a team full of Callahans right now, grinders not scoring but playing a physical and/or defensive game (Drury, Higgins, Avery). I've always liked Frolov.

OverTheCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2009, 05:20 PM
TheHotRock

Quote:
Just for the sake of argument if we do package girardi in a trade for him, who do you replace with? Do we run 3 veteran defensemen for the remainder of the year? What happens if Staal, Rozi or Redden get hurt (again)? We need another defenseman first before we even consider sending one in a trade, preferably a crease clearing physical shutdown guy.
i brought this up in the OP. we're a team that desperately needs offensive depth. girardi has value and there's a good chance eh won't be back next season. roll the dice, let a rookie play and if you really feel like you need a vet, sign a chelios. dress 7 d men.

Frolov-Anisimov-Kotalik makes a lot of sense to me.

Old
11-29-2009, 05:20 PM
FromTheSide

Send a message via AIM to FromTheSide Send a message via MSN to FromTheSide
Frolov is an upgraded version of arnasson

PASS.

FromTheSide is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2009, 05:21 PM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

Quote:
i brought this up in the OP. we're a team that desperately needs offensive depth. girardi has value and there's a good chance eh won't be back next season. roll the dice, let a rookie play and if you really feel like you need a vet, sign a chelios. dress 7 d men.

Frolov-Anisimov-Kotalik makes a lot of sense to me.
Nice size with that line.

Old
11-29-2009, 05:23 PM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by AOWRanger View Post
Frolov is an upgraded version of arnasson

PASS.
You're kidding right? Please tell me you're kidding.

That's like saying Ronald Reagan is an upgraded version of G.W. Bush.

How do you even use the two in the same sentence. Arnason wouldn't be able to hold Frolov's jock strap, nevermind being mentioned in the same sentence as a comparison to him.

Old
11-29-2009, 05:30 PM
Carl Hagelins Flow

Don't agree with the Arnason comparison..But I don't think this is the right move to make unless we are chalking this season up as a rebuild and aren't gonna make a serious playoff attempt.

Our defense is already atrocious and until we get a crease clearing defenseman who throws the body that is where we will stay. Girardi is one of our better experienced blueliners and with 3 rookie D playing now, it's not really the time to give up any more experience back there for a 'decent' at best 2nd liner.

In all honesty, I wish we kept Paul Mara for the money he is making. His shot sucks and is slow, but he sticks up for his teammates and is very physical especially in front of Henrik. Chelios is not exactly an option in my opinion especially if Detroit didn't resign him.

Old
11-29-2009, 05:32 PM
Hobgoblin Steve
Bacon of Light

You wont see Cally traded now that hes got an A from Torts, or at least I really don't see it happening.

Hobgoblin Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2009, 05:33 PM
UAGoalieGuy

Quote:

Frolov

flame on
With Frolov being an impending UFA, I think it would take much more then Girardi and a middle round pick for Frolov, who will be looking for around $4 to $5 million/year.

Just looking at his stats real fast, he has been regressing point wise the last few years:

2006-07: 35g 36a 71pts
2007-08: 23g 44a 67pts
2008-09: 32g 27a 59pts
2009-10: (Projected) 18g 37a 56pts

UAGoalieGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2009, 05:38 PM
realitystrikes*

I am sitting here wondering how long it is going to be before the fans and Glen Sather come to realize that holding onto our home grown 3rd line role players instead of attempting to trade them for legit scorers has not worked out for us. I'll keep harping on it, but in the past few months the Rangers have passed up Heatley, Kessel, rumor had it possibly Savard, and maybe in the future Kovalchuk for the likes of guys like Dubinsky, Callahan, and Staal. Wake up people. 5 nickels does not equal a quarter in in terms of hockey players. Its not like the Rangers would be giving up potential first line all stars here. At best all of the players mentioned are nice second liners. Staal has been terrible this year, which seems to indicate that the offense many were hoping for from him is not there. By the time we realize these guys are not what we are hoping they'll be, they wont have value any more.

Old
11-29-2009, 05:41 PM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

Quote:
Don't agree with the Arnason comparison..But I don't think this is the right move to make unless we are chalking this season up as a rebuild and aren't gonna make a serious playoff attempt.

Our defense is already atrocious and until we get a crease clearing defenseman who throws the body that is where we will stay. Girardi is one of our better experienced blueliners and with 3 rookie D playing now, it's not really the time to give up any more experience back there for a 'decent' at best 2nd liner.
If you're talking about rebuilding, we're fine at defense without Girardi. In terms of prospects, our best depth is at defense. We have Saugenetti waiting in the wings, Sauer, Potter -- all of whom are within reach of the NHL.

This is why I didn't have a problem about the trade rumors of Staal going the other way for Heatley. We have great depth at D in the long-run. What we haven't had in a long time in terms of forwards is secondary scoring and more than one player being deemed as "star power" which is what I'd like to call it. Adding Frolov and losing Girardi doesn't hurt the rebuild. It focuses the rebuild in an area that has had set-backs after Cherepanov's death. That area is secondary scoring and star power. No, Frolov may not be a star; but he certainly will provide you secondary scoring.

When you look at most teams they have mutiple players(forwards we're talking about) that can be deemed as game breakers. They have star-power from more than one source.

Philadelphia: Carter, Richards, Gagne
Pitsburgh: Malkin, Crosby
New Jersey: Elias, Parise
Islanders: Okposo, Tavares

and finally the Rangers: Gaborik, and it stops there. That's been this teams problem for a long time. You stop that one player, you have a chance(good one) of beating the team. It was like that during Jagr's era, and it's even worse now with the newborn Gaborik era.

Old
11-29-2009, 05:43 PM
Carl Hagelins Flow

Quote:
Originally Posted by UAGoalieGuy View Post
With Frolov being an impending UFA, I think it would take much more then Girardi and a middle round pick for Frolov, who will be looking for around $4 to $5 million/year.

Just looking at his stats real fast, he has been regressing point wise the last few years:

2006-07: 35g 36a 71pts
2007-08: 23g 44a 67pts
2008-09: 32g 27a 59pts
2009-10: (Projected) 18g 37a 56pts
Exactly my point in my first reply. A third of the way into the season and his numbers aren't too impressive compared to prior seasons. That obviously could change especially if he gets hot between now and March but I still have my reservations.

Old
11-29-2009, 05:48 PM
Radek27

Quote:
We can't score, we can't defend, we can't hit, and we can't protect. Frolov helps in one of those departments. I am hoping we package Staal with someone else for a much needed upgrade on the blueline. Of course I would rather trade Rozy but he won't get us what we need, Staal might unless the nosedive in his game has hurt his trade value.

Old
11-29-2009, 05:49 PM
realitystrikes*

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpNYR View Post
If you're talking about rebuilding, we're fine at defense without Girardi. In terms of prospects, our best depth is at defense. We have Saugenetti waiting in the wings, Sauer, Potter -- all of whom are within reach of the NHL.

This is why I didn't have a problem about the trade rumors of Staal going the other way for Heatley. We have great depth at D in the long-run. What we haven't had in a long time in terms of forwards is secondary scoring and more than one player being deemed as "star power" which is what I'd like to call it. Adding Frolov and losing Girardi doesn't hurt the rebuild. It focuses the rebuild in an area that has had set-backs after Cherepanov's death. That area is secondary scoring and star power. No, Frolov may not be a star; but he certainly will provide you secondary scoring.

When you look at most teams they have mutiple players(forwards we're talking about) that can be deemed as game breakers. They have star-power from more than one source.

Philadelphia: Carter, Richards, Gagne
Pitsburgh: Malkin, Crosby
New Jersey: Elias, Parise
Islanders: Okposo, Tavares

and finally the Rangers: Gaborik, and it stops there. That's been this teams problem for a long time. You stop that one player, you have a chance(good one) of beating the team. It was like that during Jagr's era, and it's even worse now with the newborn Gaborik era.
And what do all the players in bold have in common? They were the results of smart drafting and building from within. It goes back to the other thread. Even though we have Gaborik, which is certainly nice, it's just not the same rooting for a mercenary. Watching guys like Leetch and Richter succeed was far more satisfying then seeing free agent x,y, or z come here and rack up points. Even if the team loses with their developing talent, i.e. the Islanders, at the very least it is encouraging seeing players develop and move their way through the organization. Not quite the culture here in Rangerland, where our headliners have been free agents who stopped by for a few years to play for the highest bidder.

Old
11-29-2009, 05:50 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordStanleysMug View Post
And what do all the players in bold have in common? They were the results of smart drafting and building from within. It goes back to the other thread. Even though we have Gaborik, which is certainly nice, it's just not the same rooting for a mercenary. Watching guys like Leetch and Richter succeed was far more satisfying then seeing free agent x,y, or z come here and rack up points. Even if the team loses with their developing talent, i.e. the Islanders, at the very least it is encouraging seeing players develop and move their way through the organization. Not quite the culture here in Rangerland, where our headliners have been free agents who stopped by for a few years to play for the highest bidder.
Well it was supposed to be Cheraponov.

NYR Viper is online now   Reply With Quote