HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Rate canadian teams scouting staff!!

Closed Thread

Old
12-15-2004, 10:10 AM
Habs4ever

vCash: 500
Rate canadian teams scouting staff!!

1) Ottawa: No contest hhere they find gem every year no matter where they pick, I wish we had similar scouting staff!!

2)Toronto: as much as I hate them they have the best scouting staff, only problem they trade their picks away, even in making the cup top six had two of leafs invite camp invite this summer in jordan little, and Matt Habbauer. I'm starting to believe they have some kind of formula for finding gems as well!

3) Montreal: Finally my team, even if I love canadiens you have to question picks they made after second round since 2001, other then locke they usually go for something crap, or as they say patriot Quebecoise or some long shot project!!

4)Edmenton: They seem to do very good job of taking care of all position by drafting highly skilled different types of players every draft, and by trading they have also aquired some very highly touted youngsters as well!!

5)Calgary/ Vancouver: can't really decide here Calgary has one very good prospect in Dion Phaneuf but it goes downhill from there maybe they got some gem in there.
While Vancouver has very good depth but no one really stands out, so all in all both teams have failed in producing high calibre prospects!!

Old
12-15-2004, 10:44 AM
leafaholix*

Ottawa
-
Toronto
Edmonton
Montreal
-
Calgary
Vancouver

Old
12-15-2004, 03:15 PM
CH Wizard

Send a message via MSN to CH Wizard
Ottawa
Toronto
Montreal
Calgary
Edmonton
Vancouver

Old
12-15-2004, 04:39 PM
chicpea*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs4ever
Montreal: Finally my team, even if I love canadiens you have to question picks they made after second round since 2001...
As you may or may not know, I have a fetish for sixth-rounders, so let's keep our eyes on these beauties:
Himelfarb (01)
Deveaux (02)
Heino-Lindberg (03)
Lacasse (04)

Old
12-15-2004, 04:45 PM
MasterD

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegreatone
Ottawa
Toronto
Montreal
Calgary
Edmonton
Vancouver
How can you put Edmonton there? They've probably developped enough youngsters in the last decade to be put #1 in the league.. Sure they might not have developped lots of top end talent, but so many of their picks become regular NHLers

Old
12-15-2004, 04:49 PM
CH Wizard

Send a message via MSN to CH Wizard
Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterD
How can you put Edmonton there? They've probably developped enough youngsters in the last decade to be put #1 in the league.. Sure they might not have developped lots of top end talent, but so many of their picks become regular NHLers
I don't know it's one person opinion.

Sure , Edmonton has drafted a lot of qualitiy players in the past years.Proof : Shremp !!!!

But I really think that Calgary are making a lot of little bargains.A lot of person are saying that Chucko is overrated but not me.I think He's underrated.Anyways , Calgary made a lot of nice picks in the past years too.

Old
12-15-2004, 08:07 PM
MasterD

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegreatone
I don't know it's one person opinion.

Sure , Edmonton has drafted a lot of qualitiy players in the past years.Proof : Shremp !!!!

But I really think that Calgary are making a lot of little bargains.A lot of person are saying that Chucko is overrated but not me.I think He's underrated.Anyways , Calgary made a lot of nice picks in the past years too.
I wasn't dissing Calgary in particular. I think Edmonton has PROVEN their value as a drafting team a lot more than our Habs. I love our recent drafts, but we'll have to wait to see if we got better than Edm or not.

I also seem to be the only one who does not see at all the greatness of To's drafting abilities, but I'd put them where you have Edm right now. Only Vancouver suck more at drafting, but then again Vancouver seems to not have a clue at the draft table.

Old
12-16-2004, 12:41 AM
Edler Von Gud

Send a message via MSN to Edler Von Gud
If the season were to start today, the Canucks roster would consist of 12 players they drafted. While they haven't drafted a star player in a while, they do produce a lot of good NHLers, much like the Oilers. So I don't really think it's as bad as make it out to be. The only Canadian team that has been able to produce stars consistently is Ottawa. The Canadiens are starting to produce some stars with Gainey in charge now, so it may take a while to match Ottawa's consistency. The other 4 Canadian teams aren't really that far apart. I guess Calgary, Edmonton, and Toronto would be ahead of Vancouver, but that's only cause they have more boom/bust prospects. I'm sure the Canucks will produce their share of good NHLers from their current prospect crop.

Old
12-16-2004, 02:48 AM
leafaholix*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koltsov
If the season were to start today, the Canucks roster would consist of 12 players they drafted. While they haven't drafted a star player in a while, they do produce a lot of good NHLers, much like the Oilers. So I don't really think it's as bad as make it out to be. The only Canadian team that has been able to produce stars consistently is Ottawa. The Canadiens are starting to produce some stars with Gainey in charge now, so it may take a while to match Ottawa's consistency. The other 4 Canadian teams aren't really that far apart. I guess Calgary, Edmonton, and Toronto would be ahead of Vancouver, but that's only cause they have more boom/bust prospects. I'm sure the Canucks will produce their share of good NHLers from their current prospect crop.
Vancouver's drafts between 2000 and 2002 were mediocre.

In 2000, they came out with nothing.

Nathan Smith
Thatcher Bell
Tim Branham
Pavel Duma
Brandon Reid
Nathan Barrett
Tim Smith

Then in 2001, you may have 2 NHL'ers...

RJ Umberger
Fedor Fedorov
Evgeny Gladskikh
Kevin Bieksa
Jason King

Konstantin Mikhailov

2002 is still too early to call, but it still looks very average.

When you compare Vancouver to the rest of the Canadian teams, it may just be weaker than Calgary. Those two organizations haven't had the same success as Ottawa, Montreal, Toronto, or Edmonton.

I'd like to re-do my picks to...

Ottawa
Edmonton
-
Toronto
Montreal
-
Calgary
Vancouver

That's just looking at draft success since the start of the new millenium.

Old
12-16-2004, 03:30 AM
chicpea*

Not a big fan of Fed Fed I see

Old
12-16-2004, 06:37 AM
It Kills Me

1 Ottawa: no doubt, lucky basturds.
2 Edmonton: have a great young set of players and nice prospects
3 Toronto: we didn't have the picks that Montreal had by we did good
4 Montreal: ok, they've had high picks recently and barely have anything to show, yet the do have a nice set of good players.

-

5 Calgary
6 Vancouver

..Same list as Leafaholix but, I think that some teams *Montreal, Calgary* have had some high picks recently.

Old
12-16-2004, 12:49 PM
oli500

Toronto is in second. I mean when have they produce a decent prospect from theire farm system. Granted they did have stajan wich was a decent surprise for them but I mean comon. Thats is one prospect. Edmonton and calcary rely on good scouting to keep theire team some what competative. If it wasent for theire scouting staf and theire ability to find good young players they would allways be dead last.

Edmonton
Calgary
Ottawa
Montreal
Vancouver
Toronto. For me to evaluate a scouting staf I go by the amount of young prospects a team was able to turn into a everyday player and not by the amount of prospect an organisation has. Therefore edmonton an calgary are on the top of my list and toronto is dead last.

Old
12-16-2004, 02:46 PM
leafaholix*

Quote:
Originally Posted by oli500
Toronto is in second. I mean when have they produce a decent prospect from theire farm system. Granted they did have stajan wich was a decent surprise for them but I mean comon. Thats is one prospect. Edmonton and calcary rely on good scouting to keep theire team some what competative. If it wasent for theire scouting staf and theire ability to find good young players they would allways be dead last.

Edmonton
Calgary
Ottawa
Montreal
Vancouver
Toronto. For me to evaluate a scouting staf I go by the amount of young prospects a team was able to turn into a everyday player and not by the amount of prospect an organisation has. Therefore edmonton an calgary are on the top of my list and toronto is dead last.
I took into consideration the drafts between 2000 and 2002, since 2003 and 2004 are too early to tell.

Edmonton...

36 selections
1st round picks - 3 (Mikhnov, Hemsky, Niinimaki)
4 everyday NHL'ers (Lombardi, Markkanen, Hemsky, Stoll)
4 other players with 1 (or more) NHL games (Lynch, Haakana, Pisa, Luoma)
Selections with NHL games: 8

Calgary...

32 selections
1st round picks - 3 (Krahn, Kobasew, Nystrom)
2 everyday NHL'ers (Lombardi, Kobasew)
0 other players with 1 (or more) NHL games
Selections with NHL games: 2

Ottawa...

31 selections
1st round picks - 4 (Volchenkov, Spezza, Gleason, Klepis)
3 everyday NHL'ers (Spezza, Volchenkov, Vermette)
4 other players with 1 (or more) NHL games
Selections with NHL games: 7

Montreal...

25 selections
1st round picks - 5 (Hainsey, Hossa, Komis, Perez, Higgins)
0 everyday NHL'ers
6 other players with 1 (or more) NHL games (Komis, Hains, Pleks, Higgins, Balej, Hossa)
Selections with NHL games: 6

Vancouver...

24 selections
1st round picks - 2 (Nathan Smith, Umberger)
0 everyday NHL'ers
4 other players with 1 (or more) NHL games (King, Smith, Reid, Fedorov)
Selections with NHL games: 4

Toronto...

31 selections
1st round picks - 3 (Boyes, Colaiacovo, Steen)
2 everyday NHL'ers (Stajan, Pilar)
6 other players with 1 (or more) NHL games (Boyes, Vernarsky, Tellqvist, Wellwood, Kondratiev, Colaiacovo)
Selections with NHL games: 8

-----

2000 is the farthest back I went because changes have been made to these staffs... especially Toronto's. Major, humongous changes for the Leafs.

Closed Thread