I'm more comfortable as a viewer and fan to have Emery in net. They are both similar and different. Take the fact that Emery is cheaper (than what Biron wanted) and I'll take Emery as he allowed for other deals to take place (Pronger/iLap).
I agree with this. Close enough where money trumps all, but I think Biron is slightly better.
Not sure the 6 goals Biron gave up yesterday proved anything, Isles are a pretty weak team, and Biron and Rolo have been stopping a ton of shots and playing insanely well.
Plus, giving up 6 facing 42 shots is better than giving up 4 on 20 in my opinion (which is what Emery has been doing a bunch lately - or at least close). It's also one game.
I do agree with the larger point though. Emery was cheaper, and thus, a better option. But not a better goalie.
Depends on who you talk to. I've been more nervous with Emery all season. He's either hot or cold, never just solid, IMO. I hate that because you don't know what to expect from night to night.
- He was hot and cold in 05-06 (rookie season)
- Was perfectly solid in 06-07... on the occasions he had a bad game, you felt he was going to come back strong and move on.
- He was slow (laterally) and lost the 2nd effort he had the year before. Mostly just sucked.
In 06-07 though (which I assume the year you'd be most interested in), he was extremely solid and consistent all season long stopping the shots he should and keeping the team in a lot of flat first periods (his 1st period SV% that year must've been very high). Stopping the shots he should helped the team feed off of him and work harder, because that kind of goaltending directly meant that hard work always = wins and laziness always = losses.
Originally Posted by DoomMF
Emery has a track record of .904 sv. percentages, with one exception, which in my mind warrants discussion when he's 29th in Sv. Pct. a quarter of the way through the season.
He doesn't have much of a track record. He's only played 3 NHL seasons.
Originally Posted by DoomMF
His best year in the NHL, with a very good defense in front of him, was slightly better than Biron last year....and we hated him. (Oh, and I know sv. pct is a **** stat, and a few bad starts has hurt Emery - which is a VERY valid point so I don't mean to exaggerate it's importance)
Whoa "a very good defense in front of him?"
- We were 20th in the NHL in shots against.
- That team mostly played like **** until Christmas, that's 23 of Emery's 58 games that year. Up until Christmas, he was a big reason they were winning any games. After Christmas, the defense tightened up alot (especially the forwards).
- Our defense... Preissing was useless until Christmas. Corvo was attrocious until Mid-Jan. Redden played like crap defensively until about Feb. And Meszaros sucked all season long (I have no idea who was wearing #14 in the playoffs). Not to mention Phillips and Volchenkov tripping over themselves for the first month or two.
That defense you saw in the playoffs wasn't the one we had to look at for most of the season.