HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

UPDATE: Cooke suspended 2 games, fined 30k for hit on Anisimov

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-30-2009, 01:00 AM
  #51
realitystrikes*
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 351
vCash: 500
A lot of baby's on this thread, and a lot of bias as well. This hit was no different than the Richards hit on Booth. If anything, people should be *****ing about how ridiculous the league is for suspending Cooke after clearly setting an example that this was acceptable with Richards.

Second thing, enough of this juvenile "someone should hit Crosby or Malkin from behind into the boards crap". Grow up. It's a game. There are rules. Boarding someone is illegal. While probably not healthy for the game, it is NOT currently illegal to throw a hit to somebody's head as per the current rule book. Don't know why people keep whining about how Cooke should have been suspended since it was a head shot.

Does it really make people feel cool to call opposing players such unoriginal nick names as Crysby or Lurch? Are there really that many high schoolers on these boards?

And finally, jumping somebody from behind is classless and cowardly. It's laughable how it has been suggested that Fedetenko was at fault for actually playing hockey and trying to block a shot with his skate, while in doing so supposedly running into that side show number 16. Apparently people do not know what a slew foot is. It's not clipping somebody's back skate. Its simultaneously using your upper body as leverage to send the opposing players upper body backwards, while using your leg to take out his feet. Nothing like this occurred in that game.

realitystrikes* is offline  
Old
11-30-2009, 01:15 AM
  #52
SomebodySaveKreider
Registered User
 
SomebodySaveKreider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Long Island, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 2,538
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordStanleysMug View Post
A lot of baby's on this thread, and a lot of bias as well. This hit was no different than the Richards hit on Booth. If anything, people should be *****ing about how ridiculous the league is for suspending Cooke after clearly setting an example that this was acceptable with Richards.

Second thing, enough of this juvenile "someone should hit Crosby or Malkin from behind into the boards crap". Grow up. It's a game. There are rules. Boarding someone is illegal. While probably not healthy for the game, it is NOT currently illegal to throw a hit to somebody's head as per the current rule book. Don't know why people keep whining about how Cooke should have been suspended since it was a head shot.

Does it really make people feel cool to call opposing players such unoriginal nick names as Crysby or Lurch? Are there really that many high schoolers on these boards?

And finally, jumping somebody from behind is classless and cowardly. It's laughable how it has been suggested that Fedetenko was at fault for actually playing hockey and trying to block a shot with his skate, while in doing so supposedly running into that side show number 16. Apparently people do not know what a slew foot is. It's not clipping somebody's back skate. Its simultaneously using your upper body as leverage to send the opposing players upper body backwards, while using your leg to take out his feet. Nothing like this occurred in that game.
Head shots are something that need to be addressed by the league, imo. I understand hockey is a violent sport, but concussions aren't just "a bad headache." They can be life altering.

I think everyone is pissed at the league for their inconsistency with these types of calls by the league and their handling of suspensions, fines, etc, etc.

Everybody that aren't Pens fans call Crosby all sorts of names. They're a division rival, he's their best player, of course people are going to make fun of him. Go yell at the Devils fans who call Hank "The Queen" while your at it.

Most here won't defend Avery, that was stupid of him to do.

SomebodySaveKreider is offline  
Old
11-30-2009, 01:56 AM
  #53
Jeds2StepOpus
Registered User
 
Jeds2StepOpus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 893
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaqup View Post
I was just looking at the Pens board. Those morons are actually comparing Avery on Fedotenko to the Bertuzzi incident!! WOW. They've officially hit an all time low.

As for Cooke, doubt there will be a suspension. It was similar to the Boothe hit.

Penguins fans are the biggest retards in the league. There's no dumber group of fans in the league. Probably in all of sports. It's a collective stupidity.

I'll bet they're claiming the Cooke hit was clean. I'll bet they're claiming Cooke is being railroaded.

I'll bet not a single one of them mentions....... that Cooke was in fact, actually in front of Anisimov and delivered an elbow to his face. Cooke came up from Anisimov's right side, but never made contact with the right side of Anisimov. The hit came while Cooke's body drifted in front of Anisimov, Cooke with his back to Anisimov and then a backward upswing with the elbow...to Anisimov's face. You can clearly see it in the replay and you can even see exactly the point and timing of contact, with Anisimov's face. That was as dirty, cheap and cowardly...as it comes.

Pause and click play a few times during the slo-mo replay.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dXixraReToU

As for the Avery thing, only a moron compares that to Bert and Moore. There's not even a remote similarity.

The action of hooking someone across the front of their body, is very similar to a vicious spear. The difference is, you're not jamming the blade of your stick into the abdomen.

Fedotenko clearly and blatantly tried to slew-foot Avery (I'll bet not one Penguins fan is capapble of seeing the slew-foot. Not even in Super-Slo-Mo) and while failing to deliver a full slew-foot; he still could have done some nasty damage to Avery's knee.

Avery's reaction was completely warranted and justified. Slew-foots are extremely dangerous and dirty. If every player did the same thing to these cowards who pull this crap, you'd see the slew-foot disappear.


Avery did exactly what I would want him to do.

Penguins fans should shut the **** up and thank their god that the NHL conspired to and illegally handed them Crosby and Malkin; so they could save the franchise. That was as crooked as you'll ever see in any sport. Fair-weather fans who on;y come out to support their team; when the NHL hands them several superstars on a gold platter. Weak. Lame.

Jeds2StepOpus is offline  
Old
11-30-2009, 02:27 AM
  #54
noupf
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 954
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeds2StepOpus View Post
Penguins fans are the biggest retards in the league. There's no dumber group of fans in the league. Probably in all of sports. It's a collective stupidity.

I'll bet they're claiming the Cooke hit was clean. I'll bet they're claiming Cooke is being railroaded.

I'll bet not a single one of them mentions....... that Cooke was in fact, actually in front of Anisimov and delivered an elbow to his face. Cooke came up from Anisimov's right side, but never made contact with the right side of Anisimov. The hit came while Cooke's body drifted in front of Anisimov, Cooke with his back to Anisimov and then a backward upswing with the elbow...to Anisimov's face. You can clearly see it in the replay and you can even see exactly the point and timing of contact, with Anisimov's face. That was as dirty, cheap and cowardly...as it comes.

Pause and click play a few times during the slo-mo replay.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dXixraReToU

As for the Avery thing, only a moron compares that to Bert and Moore. There's not even a remote similarity.

The action of hooking someone across the front of their body, is very similar to a vicious spear. The difference is, you're not jamming the blade of your stick into the abdomen.

Fedotenko clearly and blatantly tried to slew-foot Avery (I'll bet not one Penguins fan is capapble of seeing the slew-foot. Not even in Super-Slo-Mo) and while failing to deliver a full slew-foot; he still could have done some nasty damage to Avery's knee.

Avery's reaction was completely warranted and justified. Slew-foots are extremely dangerous and dirty. If every player did the same thing to these cowards who pull this crap, you'd see the slew-foot disappear.


Avery did exactly what I would want him to do.

Penguins fans should shut the **** up and thank their god that the NHL conspired to and illegally handed them Crosby and Malkin; so they could save the franchise. That was as crooked as you'll ever see in any sport. Fair-weather fans who on;y come out to support their team; when the NHL hands them several superstars on a gold platter. Weak. Lame.


I'm surprised nobody caught the fact that he also left his feet in order to get his elbow up to Anisimov's head.....

noupf is offline  
Old
11-30-2009, 03:38 AM
  #55
frozenrubber
Registered User
 
frozenrubber's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Brooklyn
Country: United States
Posts: 2,034
vCash: 500
The slew foot explanation has to stop.

While Avery most certainty believed that Fedotenko attempted a slew foot, it just wasn't one.

I find it more than coincidental that Gaborik was attempting a shot from the same side at the same moment that Fedotenko moved his skate to a position more likely to block said shot.

The kicking motion is weak to basically non-existent, it is more of a reposition.

Again, what Avery thought in the moment combined w/ the game being completely out of reach (with any accessed penalty minutes a non-factor), contributed to his actions. I won't try to interpret the play any further and get into the discussion of further NHL discipline, but I don't agree with this Ruslan Fedotenko "smoking foot" argument.

frozenrubber is offline  
Old
11-30-2009, 07:14 AM
  #56
JerseyRangers
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Jersey City, NJ
Country: Ukraine
Posts: 1,615
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by StaalForOne View Post
I lost my openmindedness with you when you starting spewing out how the league is unfair to the rangers, and said Crysby. If you look at my first posts I said maybe he (Fedex) did try to do it because theres no reason for any player to go after another from behind if he didn't, but that its too hard to tell since Avery barley loses his balance. If at all. Also Avery with having the same type of rep as Cooke, he could have done it for no reason at all. If it happened to Drury instead of Avery there would be no doubt in my mind that Feds did something to piss him off, but since it was Avery you can't be sure can you. Just like you can't be sure if Cooke's hit was ill intended or not. no one knows. the most blatant headshot of the game was Avery to Crsoby, whos leaps and bounds more valuable than Anisimov, but you don't see me or other pens fans calling for his suspension do you? granted it wasn't as violent as the Cooke hit, you could argue the intentions were much worse.
Actually I said Crybaby not Crysby. Yes you did say maybe Fedex tried the slew foot to which I laughed because the kicking motion is pretty obvious. Also, maybe Cooke at 5'9" was practicing the flying elbow move for his karate class and Anisimov at 6'2" happened to skate into it -- maybe. However, thats the problem no way a guy 5'9" makes contact with a guy's head whose 5" taller without leaving his feet. Now the game was pretty much over -- Pens up 6-3 so not sure what was to be gained. Although nobody can say what the intent was on any of the plays you mentioned -- we can only speak to that which we can see (unless you're suggesting that you read minds). Two dirty plays that could have lead to injuries. You're absolutely right -- nothing to be upset about. At the same time if someone drives Crybaby head first into the boards then I expect you to maintain the same attitude.

JerseyRangers is offline  
Old
11-30-2009, 07:19 AM
  #57
JerseyRangers
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Jersey City, NJ
Country: Ukraine
Posts: 1,615
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mullichicken25 View Post
The thing that worries me most about that hit is that it seems like players feel they have a green light for cheap shots against us

The rangers need to respond in spectacular fashion

in my opinion, winning the game tomorrow should be secondary behind sending a message to Bettman and rest of the NHL



also,i just love how much "just having brashear in the line up will scare players away from throwing dirty hits and cheap shots"

yup, they've really been pissing their pants out there
Exactly. Last year Betts, this year Drury and Anisimov (not to mention how many times Hank has been run). Back in the 90's you would have had a slew of players (Mess, Graves, Kocur, Buek, Cirella and so on) exacting revenge.

That crap has got to stop tonite. On the first shift you run Crybaby or Lurch headfirst into the boards. Don't care if they break their frickin' necks. Don't care how long Buttman suspends the player. Will tell you that for the rest of the season no one in a Rangers uniform will get hit up high again.

The biggest joke is that none of these hits, which all resulted in suspensions, where called as penalties. Instead of worrying about what Avery says and does, maybe Buttman and the league should set up classes to teach the refs what are and what are not penalties.

JerseyRangers is offline  
Old
11-30-2009, 07:27 AM
  #58
JerseyRangers
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Jersey City, NJ
Country: Ukraine
Posts: 1,615
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordStanleysMug View Post
A lot of baby's on this thread, and a lot of bias as well. This hit was no different than the Richards hit on Booth. If anything, people should be *****ing about how ridiculous the league is for suspending Cooke after clearly setting an example that this was acceptable with Richards.

Second thing, enough of this juvenile "someone should hit Crosby or Malkin from behind into the boards crap". Grow up. It's a game. There are rules. Boarding someone is illegal. While probably not healthy for the game, it is NOT currently illegal to throw a hit to somebody's head as per the current rule book. Don't know why people keep whining about how Cooke should have been suspended since it was a head shot.

Does it really make people feel cool to call opposing players such unoriginal nick names as Crysby or Lurch? Are there really that many high schoolers on these boards?

And finally, jumping somebody from behind is classless and cowardly. It's laughable how it has been suggested that Fedetenko was at fault for actually playing hockey and trying to block a shot with his skate, while in doing so supposedly running into that side show number 16. Apparently people do not know what a slew foot is. It's not clipping somebody's back skate. Its simultaneously using your upper body as leverage to send the opposing players upper body backwards, while using your leg to take out his feet. Nothing like this occurred in that game.
Try to look at the replay of the Cooke hit without being biased. Cooke leaves his feet before he makes contact and leads with his elbow. If thats a clean hit in your book then I'm all for Staal jumping up tonite and driving his elbow into the ugly mug of Crybaby or Lurch. If he breaks his nose or concusses the poor fool then I'll explain to you how the hit was clean -- just like Cooke's.

Simple, very difficult for a guy 5'9" to deliver an elbow to the jaw of a guy 6'2" without leaving his feet. Again, if you thinks its hockey then you've got a lot of growing up to do.

Finally, what Avery did does not remotely compare to what Matt Cooke did. With the target on his back placed by Bettman if Avery had done anything remotely suspendable he'd be gone for 10 games. Obviously the league had no problem with what Avery did but had a problem with what Cooke did, right? I guess maybe you're the one that needs to grow up or take your meds before going to bed!

JerseyRangers is offline  
Old
11-30-2009, 09:26 AM
  #59
Jeds2StepOpus
Registered User
 
Jeds2StepOpus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 893
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordStanleysMug View Post
It's laughable how it has been suggested that Fedetenko was at fault for actually playing hockey and trying to block a shot with his skate, while in doing so supposedly running into that side show number 16. Apparently people do not know what a slew foot is. It's not clipping somebody's back skate. Its simultaneously using your upper body as leverage to send the opposing players upper body backwards, while using your leg to take out his feet. Nothing like this occurred in that game.
Trying to kick someone's skate out from behind, is close enough. And it's interesting the puck was already headed the other way, which Fedotenko clearly saw occuring and he still followed through with his skate, in kicking out Avery's leg.

But don't let that get in the way of your Penguin orgasm.


As usual, a Penguins' "fan" finds no wrong doing by any of his Penguin players. Oh dear, I'm so shocked

I know one thing for sure, if both those events occured with the roles completely reversed; Penguins' "fans" and Mario......would be storming the league offices screaming bloody murder and delivering such a dramatic and emotional "We're Victims" performance to the league and any media outlet they could find; that Hollywood would load up the Oscar and drive it Pittsburgh.

In other news, I see you're not so above it all. Couldn't even refrain from calling Avery a sideshow. This coming from a "fan" of a team that had Jarko Ruttu, The King Of Dirty, Cowardly Hits and Stick Work; wearing the Penguins jersey for two seasons, And you pumped your chest out and cheered wildly everytime Jarko Ruttu delivered yet another one of his dangerous, cowardly hits.

Something Seasn Avery doesn't really do. And has rarely done in his career.

I guess your lovely, little rant was just another example of the typical Penguins "fan" verbal diarrhea.

Jeds2StepOpus is offline  
Old
11-30-2009, 02:38 PM
  #60
DutchShamrock
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: New Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 5,024
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy View Post
Orr's hit on Cullen a few years back was worse, no one was calling for him to be taken out.
The only thing worse about that 'hit' was the result. That play was a collision bw Orr and Cullen and it was simply unfortunate that the Cullen was hurt so badly. The replays of the incident clearly showed that Orr wasn't even looking at Cullen prior to the contact.


This play by Cooke is indefensible. Two games is a joke, and Dagoon is bang on in the fact that the NHL only gave him two to keep him away from the Garden ice and another ugly incident. Again, Avery can get 6 games for words but a repeat offender gets a third of that for an intent to injure.

DutchShamrock is offline  
Old
11-30-2009, 04:14 PM
  #61
Radek27
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 5,377
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Radek27
I have no problem with what Avery did, thats his thing. Pen fans shouldn't talk, Ruutu has done much worse.

Radek27 is offline  
Old
11-30-2009, 04:22 PM
  #62
realitystrikes*
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 351
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeds2StepOpus View Post
Trying to kick someone's skate out from behind, is close enough. And it's interesting the puck was already headed the other way, which Fedotenko clearly saw occuring and he still followed through with his skate, in kicking out Avery's leg.

But don't let that get in the way of your Penguin orgasm.


As usual, a Penguins' "fan" finds no wrong doing by any of his Penguin players. Oh dear, I'm so shocked

I know one thing for sure, if both those events occured with the roles completely reversed; Penguins' "fans" and Mario......would be storming the league offices screaming bloody murder and delivering such a dramatic and emotional "We're Victims" performance to the league and any media outlet they could find; that Hollywood would load up the Oscar and drive it Pittsburgh.

In other news, I see you're not so above it all. Couldn't even refrain from calling Avery a sideshow. This coming from a "fan" of a team that had Jarko Ruttu, The King Of Dirty, Cowardly Hits and Stick Work; wearing the Penguins jersey for two seasons, And you pumped your chest out and cheered wildly everytime Jarko Ruttu delivered yet another one of his dangerous, cowardly hits.

Something Seasn Avery doesn't really do. And has rarely done in his career.

I guess your lovely, little rant was just another example of the typical Penguins "fan" verbal diarrhea.
Why am I all of a sudden a Penguin fan. I have been a Ranger fan since 1989. Just because I try to look at things as objectively as possible doesn't mean I cant be a Ranger fan? Does it? I'm starting to think the majority of Ranger fans think supporting their team simply means twisting and distorting the truth in order to defend mediocrity and embarrassing antics.

realitystrikes* is offline  
Old
11-30-2009, 04:23 PM
  #63
alves
Registered User
 
alves's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Country: United States
Posts: 590
vCash: 500
Haven't read any comments yet, but the suspension is well deserved. He left his feet, blindsiding AA in the head. Even if it should have been more games, maybe players will realize now that illegal head shots can and will get you suspended. What's wrong with these players hitting guys from the side and going high on the hit?

alves is offline  
Old
11-30-2009, 05:05 PM
  #64
haveandare
Registered User
 
haveandare's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 7,451
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordStanleysMug View Post
A lot of baby's on this thread, and a lot of bias as well. This hit was no different than the Richards hit on Booth. If anything, people should be *****ing about how ridiculous the league is for suspending Cooke after clearly setting an example that this was acceptable with Richards.

Second thing, enough of this juvenile "someone should hit Crosby or Malkin from behind into the boards crap". Grow up. It's a game. There are rules. Boarding someone is illegal. While probably not healthy for the game, it is NOT currently illegal to throw a hit to somebody's head as per the current rule book. Don't know why people keep whining about how Cooke should have been suspended since it was a head shot.

Does it really make people feel cool to call opposing players such unoriginal nick names as Crysby or Lurch? Are there really that many high schoolers on these boards?

And finally, jumping somebody from behind is classless and cowardly. It's laughable how it has been suggested that Fedetenko was at fault for actually playing hockey and trying to block a shot with his skate, while in doing so supposedly running into that side show number 16. Apparently people do not know what a slew foot is. It's not clipping somebody's back skate. Its simultaneously using your upper body as leverage to send the opposing players upper body backwards, while using your leg to take out his feet. Nothing like this occurred in that game.
You're so cool. Maybe one day we'll all be as level headed and mature as you.
Calling other people immature doesn't make you mature by contrast. Your comments are just as ridiculous as those who use those nicknames against the penguins. Cooke clearly left his feet and led with his elbow in Anisimov's head. There's NO reason to do that unless you're trying to hurt someone. The Richards hit was the same thing in my opinion, and he should have been suspended just the same, but the Flyers are quickly becoming the new team to fetishize and hold above everyone else for some reason. Just because there's no rule that spells out the exact situation that happened doesn't mean it has a place in the game. I'm sure the rule book doesn't say that you can't run a player down in the parking lot after the game, but that doesn't mean its right and it doesn't mean you shouldn't be punished for it. Cooke is a complete coward and deserves the suspension plus a serious beating from one of the Rangers. Give the mightier-than-thou rhetoric a break. So what if a poster is in highschool? Who are you to judge them?

I couldn't watch the end of the game, but my brother said that Callahan and Brashear went after Cooke later. Does anyone have a clip of this? If not, can I get a little recap? Did Callahan put him in his place?

haveandare is offline  
Old
11-30-2009, 05:14 PM
  #65
alves
Registered User
 
alves's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Country: United States
Posts: 590
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by frozenrubber View Post
The slew foot explanation has to stop.

While Avery most certainty believed that Fedotenko attempted a slew foot, it just wasn't one.
Agreed. Calling that a slew foot is sort of laughable. Avery attacking Fedow/e from behind was unjust.

People saying that others who disagree with the slew foot crap are not Ranger fans need to chill. You don't have to stick up for every player or antic a player does to be a real fan.

alves is offline  
Old
11-30-2009, 05:20 PM
  #66
realitystrikes*
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 351
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisNYR View Post
Agreed. Calling that a slew foot is sort of laughable. Avery attacking Fedow/e from behind was unjust.

People saying that others who disagree with the slew foot crap are not Ranger fans need to chill. You don't have to stick up for every player or antic a player does to be a real fan.
Aint that the truth. But lets not tell that to the "Everything Sean Avery does is justified because he's the coolest guy on Earth and I have his jersey" crowd.

realitystrikes* is offline  
Old
11-30-2009, 05:38 PM
  #67
BrianLeetch2
Registered User
 
BrianLeetch2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Toms River NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 709
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to BrianLeetch2 Send a message via MSN to BrianLeetch2
Cookes hit is as dirty as it gets

BrianLeetch2 is offline  
Old
11-30-2009, 05:43 PM
  #68
Inferno
HFB Partner
 
Inferno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Atlanta, GA
Country: United States
Posts: 20,567
vCash: 500
definitely not a slew foot, but the hit on Anisimov was dirty, he definitely left his feet.

Inferno is offline  
Old
11-30-2009, 05:44 PM
  #69
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato
 
HatTrick Swayze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 9,762
vCash: 500
I still don't see how it is different than the Richards hit.

__________________
"Here we can see the agression of american people. They love fighting and guns. when they wont win they try to kill us all." -HalfOfFame
HatTrick Swayze is offline  
Old
11-30-2009, 05:51 PM
  #70
Kunitziwa
#FreeBeau
 
Kunitziwa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Rochester, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 2,341
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Kunitziwa
Quote:
Originally Posted by haveandare View Post
You're so cool. Maybe one day we'll all be as level headed and mature as you.
Calling other people immature doesn't make you mature by contrast. Your comments are just as ridiculous as those who use those nicknames against the penguins. Cooke clearly left his feet and led with his elbow in Anisimov's head. There's NO reason to do that unless you're trying to hurt someone. The Richards hit was the same thing in my opinion, and he should have been suspended just the same, but the Flyers are quickly becoming the new team to fetishize and hold above everyone else for some reason. Just because there's no rule that spells out the exact situation that happened doesn't mean it has a place in the game. I'm sure the rule book doesn't say that you can't run a player down in the parking lot after the game, but that doesn't mean its right and it doesn't mean you shouldn't be punished for it. Cooke is a complete coward and deserves the suspension plus a serious beating from one of the Rangers. Give the mightier-than-thou rhetoric a break. So what if a poster is in highschool? Who are you to judge them?

I couldn't watch the end of the game, but my brother said that Callahan and Brashear went after Cooke later. Does anyone have a clip of this? If not, can I get a little recap? Did Callahan put him in his place?
Callahan tried to put him in his place, Ide say Cooke won the fight, but mostly because he was throwing elbows the whole time, that *******.

Kunitziwa is offline  
Old
11-30-2009, 06:46 PM
  #71
Carl Hagelins Flow
Flow Status: AMAZING
 
Carl Hagelins Flow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Long Island, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 4,233
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordStanleysMug View Post
A lot of baby's on this thread, and a lot of bias as well. This hit was no different than the Richards hit on Booth. If anything, people should be *****ing about how ridiculous the league is for suspending Cooke after clearly setting an example that this was acceptable with Richards.

Second thing, enough of this juvenile "someone should hit Crosby or Malkin from behind into the boards crap". Grow up. It's a game. There are rules. Boarding someone is illegal. While probably not healthy for the game, it is NOT currently illegal to throw a hit to somebody's head as per the current rule book. Don't know why people keep whining about how Cooke should have been suspended since it was a head shot.

Does it really make people feel cool to call opposing players such unoriginal nick names as Crysby or Lurch? Are there really that many high schoolers on these boards?

And finally, jumping somebody from behind is classless and cowardly. It's laughable how it has been suggested that Fedetenko was at fault for actually playing hockey and trying to block a shot with his skate, while in doing so supposedly running into that side show number 16. Apparently people do not know what a slew foot is. It's not clipping somebody's back skate. Its simultaneously using your upper body as leverage to send the opposing players upper body backwards, while using your leg to take out his feet. Nothing like this occurred in that game.
Man for someone pointing out bias, you sure sound an awful lot like a pens fan.

Let's start with the Richards hit on Booth. Should've been suspended, and I am the first to criticize the NHL (or any league) with special treatment to star players. Lebron James gets it from the NBA, and I've seen umpiring in baseball give the Yankees the benefit of the doubt (yes I'm a Yanks fan too) pretty often.

Right now, the NHL rulebook is in serious need of attention. The instigator rule is incredibly unpopular both with fans, and the players but you got an idiot running the show and he is too stubborn and arrogant to listen to the people who keep him employed. Headshots are another thing that are in serious need of attention.

As BayAreaRanger said, concussions are one of the most severe injuries one can get and I don't think they get the attention they deserve. People can die from concussions, and often times they leave permanent lasting damage to the brain. I know someone through a friend who has serious mental problems now after suffering one.

Headshots are probably the #1 cause of concussions in Hockey and the instigator rule has contributed to their prevalence. There is no recourse for someone that headshots another player other than a slap on the wrist in the form of a "relatively minor" fine, and a couple games in the press box. Was Anisimov admiring his pass with his head down? Yes. Was the puck on or near his stick? Not close enough in my opinion (and the opinion of the NHL). Could Cooke have avoided the hit or at least made an attempt to avoid the head? I think very much so. This isn't Ranger bias, these are facts, and that is why he got the suspension.

Next, Crosby (or Cindy Crysby as I like to say). Are you complaining that an atlantic division rival is making fun of this guy? You have got to be kidding me. Pretty much everyone except pens fans calls or has called him this. The kid whines and complains way more than he should and it doesn't help that Bettman has nominated such a person to be the face of the league. Someone like Patrick Kane (wish he didn't punch that taxi driver though) would be a better choice but that is just an opinion. What is fact is that you are calling us immature for not liking somebody on a rival team. It is no different than the Devils and Isles fans (quoting BayAreaRanger) calling Hank "The Queen" nor is it any different than us calling Brodeur "Blowdor".

Finally, Avery and Fedotenko. Was Avery wrong for jumping him from behind? Absolutely. Was Avery wrong for being upset? No. Here is where the bias sets in so I'm gonna attempt to be as neutral as possible: consider the context - team is getting blown out badly and Avery's probably none too pleased at the situation. Fedotenko for whatever reason (slewfooting or "blocking a shot" as you say) makes contact with Avery's skate in a swiping motion. What would you do? I'd be pretty pissed honestly, even if the contact was accidental because you know what, that's just the way things were in that game. It was physical, gritty, and bitter -- you don't often give people the benefit of the doubt in those situations.

Oh and boarding someone from behind with the intent to injure is most certainly unacceptable behavior and I think many of us don't truly want that to happen. People say things in the heat of passion that they otherwise wouldn't say and this seems to be one of those situations.

Go back to Pittsburgh, thanks.

Carl Hagelins Flow is offline  
Old
11-30-2009, 07:01 PM
  #72
JerseyRangers
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Jersey City, NJ
Country: Ukraine
Posts: 1,615
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedsBlueforNYR View Post
Man for someone pointing out bias, you sure sound an awful lot like a pens fan.

Finally, Avery and Fedotenko. Was Avery wrong for jumping him from behind? Absolutely. Was Avery wrong for being upset? No. Here is where the bias sets in so I'm gonna attempt to be as neutral as possible: consider the context - team is getting blown out badly and Avery's probably none too pleased at the situation. Fedotenko for whatever reason (slewfooting or "blocking a shot" as you say) makes contact with Avery's skate in a swiping motion. What would you do? I'd be pretty pissed honestly, even if the contact was accidental because you know what, that's just the way things were in that game. It was physical, gritty, and bitter -- you don't often give people the benefit of the doubt in those situations.

Oh and boarding someone from behind with the intent to injure is most certainly unacceptable behavior and I think many of us don't truly want that to happen. People say things in the heat of passion that they otherwise wouldn't say and this seems to be one of those situations.

Go back to Pittsburgh, thanks.
I totally agree with the first point. For someone that claims to be a Rangers fan he certainly seems biased. But then again maybe thats how prepubescent teens act these days.

As to what Avery did -- given how many times he's been hacked, boarded and everything else this season without any calls from the refs he behaved like many of us would.

To the last point. I still wanna see Crybaby or Lurch checked headfirst into the boards. For as many liberties that teams in the league have taken with Rangers players its time to do something thats going to catch everyones attention. What better way then splattering Crybaby into the boards. Bet you that would make everyone think twice the next time someone wanted to plant an elbow on any Rangers players. Three times in the last 30 or so games the Rangers have seen one of our players concussed or close to concussed with dirty hits. Time to make a statement. You take out Buttman's love child and everyone will take notice!

JerseyRangers is offline  
Old
11-30-2009, 07:06 PM
  #73
realitystrikes*
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 351
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedsBlueforNYR View Post
Man for someone pointing out bias, you sure sound an awful lot like a pens fan.
Yea I come to realize this. Unbiased ranger fans are hard to find, however, I try. I just don't believe in blindly jumping to the defense of selfish antics from a guy who has repeatedly put himself above the team he plays for. The only difference is our younger fanbase seems to think what he does is "cool" or funny.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedsBlueforNYR View Post
Let's start with the Richards hit on Booth. Should've been suspended, and I am the first to criticize the NHL (or any league) with special treatment to star players. Lebron James gets it from the NBA, and I've seen umpiring in baseball give the Yankees the benefit of the doubt (yes I'm a Yanks fan too) pretty often.

Right now, the NHL rulebook is in serious need of attention. The instigator rule is incredibly unpopular both with fans, and the players but you got an idiot running the show and he is too stubborn and arrogant to listen to the people who keep him employed. Headshots are another thing that are in serious need of attention.

As BayAreaRanger said, concussions are one of the most severe injuries one can get and I don't think they get the attention they deserve. People can die from concussions, and often times they leave permanent lasting damage to the brain. I know someone through a friend who has serious mental problems now after suffering one.
Pretty much what I said, along with the fact that it is currently legal to put a shoulder into a guys head. Thanks


Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedsBlueforNYR View Post
Headshots are probably the #1 cause of concussions in Hockey and the instigator rule has contributed to their prevalence. There is no recourse for someone that headshots another player other than a slap on the wrist in the form of a "relatively minor" fine, and a couple games in the press box. Was Anisimov admiring his pass with his head down? Yes. Was the puck on or near his stick? Not close enough in my opinion (and the opinion of the NHL). Could Cooke have avoided the hit or at least made an attempt to avoid the head? I think very much so. This isn't Ranger bias, these are facts, and that is why he got the suspension.
Of course this is what happened. The point is Richards went out of his way to injure a guy even more so, and got away with it. Was that the precedent, or the double standard? I'd call it a double standard. The fact Arty was involved in the play is irrelevant to the legality of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedsBlueforNYR View Post
Next, Crosby (or Cindy Crysby as I like to say). Are you complaining that an atlantic division rival is making fun of this guy? You have got to be kidding me. Pretty much everyone except pens fans calls or has called him this. The kid whines and complains way more than he should and it doesn't help that Bettman has nominated such a person to be the face of the league. Someone like Patrick Kane (wish he didn't punch that taxi driver though) would be a better choice but that is just an opinion. What is fact is that you are calling us immature for not liking somebody on a rival team. It is no different than the Devils and Isles fans (quoting BayAreaRanger) calling Hank "The Queen" nor is it any different than us calling Brodeur "Blowdor".
So again, I guess it's just cool. As it used to be in high school.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedsBlueforNYR View Post
Finally, Avery and Fedotenko. Was Avery wrong for jumping him from behind? Absolutely. Was Avery wrong for being upset? No. Here is where the bias sets in so I'm gonna attempt to be as neutral as possible: consider the context - team is getting blown out badly and Avery's probably none too pleased at the situation. Fedotenko for whatever reason (slewfooting or "blocking a shot" as you say) makes contact with Avery's skate in a swiping motion. What would you do? I'd be pretty pissed honestly, even if the contact was accidental because you know what, that's just the way things were in that game. It was physical, gritty, and bitter -- you don't often give people the benefit of the doubt in those situations.

Oh and boarding someone from behind with the intent to injure is most certainly unacceptable behavior and I think many of us don't truly want that to happen. People say things in the heat of passion that they otherwise wouldn't say and this seems to be one of those situations.

Go back to Pittsburgh, thanks.
Seriously, stop making excuses for this guy. Everywhere he has been he has put himself above the team. I highly doubt he was "frustrated" that we were getting blown out. He's selfish and always seeking attention. He did the same type of thing in the playoffs last year against Washington, and numerous times down the stretch only to be bailed out by Hank and the penalty kill. But as long as it's cool to act like this, I guess it's also cool to be complacent with mediocrity.

I've also never been to Pittsburgh, but that was pretty witty of you.

realitystrikes* is offline  
Old
11-30-2009, 07:44 PM
  #74
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him
 
nyr2k2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Washington, DC
Country: United States
Posts: 24,222
vCash: 50
Awards:
Guys, chill. Play nicely, okay? Make your point without insulting each other.

__________________

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is online now  
Old
11-30-2009, 08:37 PM
  #75
truebluegoalie
Registered User
 
truebluegoalie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Virginia
Posts: 2,256
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordStanleysMug View Post
A lot of baby's on this thread, and a lot of bias as well. This hit was no different than the Richards hit on Booth. If anything, people should be *****ing about how ridiculous the league is for suspending Cooke after clearly setting an example that this was acceptable with Richards.

Second thing, enough of this juvenile "someone should hit Crosby or Malkin from behind into the boards crap". Grow up. It's a game. There are rules. Boarding someone is illegal. While probably not healthy for the game, it is NOT currently illegal to throw a hit to somebody's head as per the current rule book. Don't know why people keep whining about how Cooke should have been suspended since it was a head shot.

Does it really make people feel cool to call opposing players such unoriginal nick names as Crysby or Lurch? Are there really that many high schoolers on these boards?

And finally, jumping somebody from behind is classless and cowardly. It's laughable how it has been suggested that Fedetenko was at fault for actually playing hockey and trying to block a shot with his skate, while in doing so supposedly running into that side show number 16. Apparently people do not know what a slew foot is. It's not clipping somebody's back skate. Its simultaneously using your upper body as leverage to send the opposing players upper body backwards, while using your leg to take out his feet. Nothing like this occurred in that game.
I find it funny that you get on people for calling players names then proceed to call avery a "side show".

truebluegoalie is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:41 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.