HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Olympic Hopeful?

Old
11-27-2009, 01:17 AM
DaFranzenator

vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to DaFranzenator
Olympic Hopeful?

Don't think he'll be back in time....... but u never know.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=4691580

DaFranzenator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2009, 12:29 PM
Howard35

Send a message via AIM to Howard35
Probably wouldnt be a good choice on his part. If he is ready, its borderline.

Howard35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2009, 12:37 PM
Heaton
#disapointment

Send a message via AIM to Heaton
Quote:
Originally Posted by zetterberg40 View Post
Probably wouldnt be a good choice on his part. If he is ready, its borderline.
I think if he actually plays 5 games before the Olympics he'd be fine.

Heaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2009, 12:48 PM
zecke26

if he is ready, he is ready. and the 5 game plan sounds good.

and i think it would be even better for the wings if he could play in vancouver. instead of just practicing again for 2 weeks, he would get games to get back into full shape.

zecke26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2009, 01:22 PM
Tomas W

He wants to play for his country as any good man would do. GO FRASSE!

Tomas W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2009, 02:05 PM
Howard35

Send a message via AIM to Howard35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heaton View Post
I think if he actually plays 5 games before the Olympics he'd be fine.
Still kinda pushing it at that point, plus that would probably mean he was rushed back.

Since when is a torn ACL 4 months? I had it done a few years ago and it was 6. I know he's a pro athlete but there's just some ligaments you cant rush no matter what kind of shape your in.

Howard35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2009, 08:09 PM
DowJones

I dont think he makes it in time, but I really hope that he will.

DowJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2009, 09:08 PM
steafo

Send a message via AIM to steafo
As a selfish Wing's fan I hope he doesn't go. I don't want to risk anymore injuries outside of helping us win games. I really don't want any of the Wing's to go at this point especially one that would be missing almost the whole season due to injury.

I really think he'd be rushing it if he were to play, again I know he's a professional athlete but I just had the same surgery on 11/03 and less than a month after the surgery stairs still give me some problems and I get some major swelling at the end of a day. My doctor said 5-7 months before I can play sports again, and 3 months before I can even really rehab it.

steafo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2009, 03:08 PM
sarcastro

Yeah, methinks this would be a terrible idea. I was thinking he'd be lucky to be in reasonable game shape by April, much less February.

Anyone have any first-hand expertise or, failing that, some kind of stats on potential damage that can be done by rehabbing too aggressively on injuries like this? His ACL needs to reattach and grow back a bit, right? And the other knee is going to be short some ACL since they take a piece of that one and stick it in the other knee. This seems like he is going to be risking permanent weakness in both knees by coming back too fast...

sarcastro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2009, 03:25 PM
Heaton
#disapointment

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarcastro View Post
Yeah, methinks this would be a terrible idea. I was thinking he'd be lucky to be in reasonable game shape by April, much less February.

Anyone have any first-hand expertise or, failing that, some kind of stats on potential damage that can be done by rehabbing too aggressively on injuries like this? His ACL needs to reattach and grow back a bit, right? And the other knee is going to be short some ACL since they take a piece of that one and stick it in the other knee. This seems like he is going to be risking permanent weakness in both knees by coming back too fast...
If Franzen is cleared and plays 5 games prior to the Olympics I think it would be beneficial for both him and the Wings if he played. I don't think him sitting around for 2 weeks would do any good if he's healthy enough to play.

Old
11-29-2009, 03:42 PM
r0bert8841

Send a message via AIM to r0bert8841
Guys the Olympics roles around once every 4 years. This is pretty much the only chance he has got for playing a big role for Sweden in the Olympics. He will be 36 the next time the Olympics role around, who knows where he will be by then. Let him play, the Red Wings will still be their after the Olympics and if he is injured their is always the post season or next season.

r0bert8841 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2009, 05:52 PM
Human Thumb*

Quote:
Originally Posted by r0bert8841 View Post
Guys the Olympics roles around once every 4 years. This is pretty much the only chance he has got for playing a big role for Sweden in the Olympics. He will be 36 the next time the Olympics role around, who knows where he will be by then. Let him play, the Red Wings will still be their after the Olympics and if he is injured their is always the post season or next season.
Actually he will be 33 or 34 by then. Not much of a different though, I guess.

Human Thumb* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2009, 05:53 PM
Zetsyuk
Farewell Nick.

As a Franzen fan, I'd love to see him play. As a Wings fan, I would love to see him rest up, we'll need him down the stretch.

Zetsyuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2009, 07:10 PM
detredWINgs

If hes cleared to play even the day before the Olympic exhibition games start, I'd love to see him go. Have him shake off the rust in the Olympics, not on Detroit ice.

detredWINgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2009, 08:27 PM
sarcastro

Quote:
If Franzen is cleared and plays 5 games prior to the Olympics I think it would be beneficial for both him and the Wings if he played. I don't think him sitting around for 2 weeks would do any good if he's healthy enough to play.
Just because he's cleared doesn't mean it wouldn't benefit him to take it easy and ease him back slowly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetsyuk View Post
As a Franzen fan, I'd love to see him play. As a Wings fan, I would love to see him rest up, we'll need him down the stretch.
As a Franzen fan and a Wings fan, I'd rather see him sit a while longer and come back strong than rush back early and risk re-injuring himself or doing long-term damage.

Getting him back before the playoffs and shaking the rust off before round 1 is a good idea. If they get that far...

Old
11-29-2009, 08:30 PM
Zetsyuk
Farewell Nick.

Quote:
Just because he's cleared doesn't mean it wouldn't benefit him to take it easy and ease him back slowly.

As a Franzen fan and a Wings fan, I'd rather see him sit a while longer and come back strong than rush back early and risk re-injuring himself or doing long-term damage.

Getting him back before the playoffs and shaking the rust off before round 1 is a good idea. If they get that far...
They'll need him to get in, I think.

OT: Is your avvy from Clockwork Orange?

Old
11-29-2009, 09:23 PM
sarcastro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetsyuk View Post
They'll need him to get in, I think.

OT: Is your avvy from Clockwork Orange?
Well clearly they need him, but if he's not ready then he's not ready...

Yeah, it's where he's being forced to watch unpleasant footage that increasingly makes him physically nauseous. I think it's fitting for this season.

Yet I can't look away....

Old
11-29-2009, 10:08 PM
Zetsyuk
Farewell Nick.

Quote:
Well clearly they need him, but if he's not ready then he's not ready...

Yeah, it's where he's being forced to watch unpleasant footage that increasingly makes him physically nauseous. I think it's fitting for this season.

Yet I can't look away....
Haha, well played. I didn't know how to finish the day after seeing that movie. I don't think disturbed is quite effective enough...

Old
11-29-2009, 10:16 PM
Heaton
#disapointment

Quote:
Ease him back slowly? I'm not sure what that means. Babcock wouldn't play him unless he can play full throttle. I guess I just don't see a benefit for him to come back for 5 games then ride the bike for 2 weeks. If he has a chance to suffer a setback he wouldn't be allowed to play in those 5 games prior.

Old
11-30-2009, 12:39 AM
Winger98
powers combined

Send a message via Yahoo to Winger98
Quote:
Originally Posted by zetterberg40 View Post
Still kinda pushing it at that point, plus that would probably mean he was rushed back.

Since when is a torn ACL 4 months? I had it done a few years ago and it was 6. I know he's a pro athlete but there's just some ligaments you cant rush no matter what kind of shape your in.
Didn't Chelios make it back in some ridiculously short period of time? I keep thinking it was something like weeks instead of months.

Quote:
Ease him back slowly? I'm not sure what that means. Babcock wouldn't play him unless he can play full throttle. I guess I just don't see a benefit for him to come back for 5 games then ride the bike for 2 weeks. If he has a chance to suffer a setback he wouldn't be allowed to play in those 5 games prior.
On top of that, Franzen would have been cleared to practice well before being cleared to play. If Franzen is cleared to play it's because he's practiced, he's looked good and there's been no set backs. If the guy is ready to go, he's ready to go.

Winger98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2009, 01:43 AM
sarcastro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winger98 View Post
Didn't Chelios make it back in some ridiculously short period of time? I keep thinking it was something like weeks instead of months.

On top of that, Franzen would have been cleared to practice well before being cleared to play. If Franzen is cleared to play it's because he's practiced, he's looked good and there's been no set backs. If the guy is ready to go, he's ready to go.
I'm not an MD or anything, but I have this mental image in my head of a guy pushing his rehab really hard and having his knees heal to the point where he can get back on the ice, but not heal to the point where they would be if he were to do a more "normal" rehab schedule and give things time to heal up more naturally.

If I remember correctly (we're going back a long way, but this is how I remember it), Chelios came back way too early and played well for a couple weeks, then either the adrenaline wore off or the wear on his not-properly-recovered knee kicked in and he had to go back on the shelf.

The initial impulse here is to say "well, the team doctors and surgeons know more than I do, so I trust their decision". However, those guys have an interest in seeing the player come back quickly, especially if the team is in trouble without them. And then you've got the player, who may or may not be completely honest about pain and other symptoms knowing it could lead the docs to hold him back. And he's likely to push himself a little bit harder than the docs say he should, when no one is watching.

Let's face it - when a person - ANY PERSON - is injured, they believe they will heal faster than the "average". I broke my finger a few years back and I was sure I was ok 2 weeks before the docs said I would be. Stopped wearing the removable cast. Finger's still a little effed up to this day. Nothing freakish, but it gets sore, and I'm a young man who should not have sore joints and bones yet.

I am concerned about this possibility happening with Franzen, and I'm trying to prep the board for what I suspect might happen. We'll see if my hunches are on or off base.