HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Boom Jackets: Like or dislike?

View Poll Results: The Boom Jackets: Like or dislike?
Like 41 53.95%
Dislike 35 46.05%
Voters: 76. You may not vote on this poll

Old
10-06-2009, 08:49 AM
OnYourIgnoreList

vCash: 500
I like the idea, not this particular execution. I doubt any of the below is new to the thread, but I wrote it before reading everything, so why bother editing?

I was lucky enough to be at a couple of the games last year where they had a three person "drum corps" type of group that had nothing but a snare, a bass and one other (another snare?). They were dressed, at one game, in Union uniforms and roamed the arena before game time.

They stood in the main concourse near the Blueline for a good while and played very militaristic marches and it was EXTRAORDINARILY cool. Beyond entertaining - it really got me amped up. During the game, they came in a couple of times during stoppages to play for 30 seconds to a minute and it was fantastic - great punctuation to the drive of the game.And I don't think they were on the PA - the sound was natural and perhaps seemed more organic as a result.

However, I will say this: I am an Irishman, and no true Irishman can listen to drum music without a deep and resonant longing, brought forth from the recesses of the soul, to punch the ******* next to him, so it may have a different effect on me that others.

Anyway, I think they should keep to that dynamic: a small, roaming group (maybe 2 so that all parts of the arena are blanketed by the noise) that plays before the game and sets a mood, maybe a short thing just before the puck drops (after Leo) and short things during stoppages, and a final "walk out" for victories.

I don't know what "drums have no place at a hockey game" means. Does a cannon have a place? How about flames that shoot out when there's a goal? Each arena defines its own hockey experience, IMO, and nothing is out of the question on its face. I have no desire for the "arena experience" to be a variant of some formula that's cloned off tradition handed down from the Original 6. The idea that hockey should "sell itself" while every other major sport does exactly the same kind of sport = entertainment thing just makes no sense.

OnYourIgnoreList is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2009, 09:04 AM
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor

Always good to read your analysis on any topic, Sir Spoon!

pete goegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2009, 05:16 PM
ca5150

I think with some tweaking it could be a nice idea, first you have to put them in civil war outfits or they just look like high school band members there. Second, and this has been mentioned before, they need to sound like civil war drums, marching music. And lastly they just need to be the occasional thing, maybe marching in formation through the halls before the game and during intermissions, not something that should be all the time during every break.

ca5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2009, 04:47 PM
MattTheMask
Cbus for life!

Please make it go away . . . .

Let me first state, that I like and appreciate that the organization is trying to create an atmosphere and bring another element to the arena.

However, I feel like the Boom Jackets really dont fit in. If they participated in a chant (Like How Stinger does with his drum) I think it would be more fan friendly. But when they are banging away on their drums I dont know what the rest of the arena is supposed to do. It forces the crowd to just sit there and stare at the jumbotron and watch them. A good addition would find a way to incorporate the fans and work them into the mix. I dont view them as fan friendly.

I will give you an example. We had a Lets Go Jackets chant that was strong with 2 mins left or so. Then the Boom Jackets came on and started banging away. When they were done, the crowd was eerily more quiet than it had been before, during, or after. It just totally killed the energy and momentum the crowd had. And that is a negative thing and cannot be argued otherwise.

Let me also state for a few of you out there, this is nothing personal against them. Glad the team thought of something, but its time to forget it and move on. The crowd is either already loud or responds better to certain themes they put on the jumbotron.

Last edited by MattTheMask: 11-30-2009 at 04:54 PM.
MattTheMask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2009, 06:02 PM
Double-Shift Lassť
Just post better

I mentioned to my buddy Saturday night that it sounds like the one cadence (they only have two it seems) ends with four heavy strikes, which could intend "Let's Go Jackets". However, unless someone tells the crowd, there's no real way of knowing.

You're right though, Matt, about it quieting the crowd. There is a sense of obligation to listen, which of course means no noise.

Old
11-30-2009, 06:24 PM
skimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTheMask View Post
Let me first state, that I like and appreciate that the organization is trying to create an atmosphere and bring another element to the arena.

However, I feel like the Boom Jackets really dont fit in. If they participated in a chant (Like How Stinger does with his drum) I think it would be more fan friendly. But when they are banging away on their drums I dont know what the rest of the arena is supposed to do. It forces the crowd to just sit there and stare at the jumbotron and watch them. A good addition would find a way to incorporate the fans and work them into the mix. I dont view them as fan friendly.

I will give you an example. We had a Lets Go Jackets chant that was strong with 2 mins left or so. Then the Boom Jackets came on and started banging away. When they were done, the crowd was eerily more quiet than it had been before, during, or after. It just totally killed the energy and momentum the crowd had. And that is a negative thing and cannot be argued otherwise.

Let me also state for a few of you out there, this is nothing personal against them. Glad the team thought of something, but its time to forget it and move on. The crowd is either already loud or responds better to certain themes they put on the jumbotron.
Yup. I was at the Calgary game Saturday, and the Flames got more applause than the Boom Jackets. The only purpose they serve is to quiet the crowd (bad) and annoy me (worse). No mas, por favor.

skimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2009, 06:47 PM
Feicht

Send a message via AIM to Feicht
I like the idea, but the further into the season we get, the more I want to blame them for the team's poor performance.

Feicht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2009, 09:09 AM
Zoo16
Bye West,Hello East!

I agree that most of the time they just kill the energy in the arena. Plus, the couple times they played when I was there, they were robotic: no facial expressions, just beating on the drums. If they are going to stay, they definitely need to add some energy to their performance.

Zoo16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2009, 11:59 AM
MattTheMask
Cbus for life!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoo16 View Post
I agree that most of the time they just kill the energy in the arena. Plus, the couple times they played when I was there, they were robotic: no facial expressions, just beating on the drums. If they are going to stay, they definitely need to add some energy to their performance.
That was my one of my beefs too that I had put in an earlier post that got deleted!!!! Thank God someone else posted that too.

The facial expressions communicated to me that they couldnt care less. They could feel different, but that is not what theyre giving off with their non-verbal language.

There was a guy in front of me who goes "look at em, theyre a bunch of alternative-type kids who dont belong and obviously dont care about hockey" They do look like kind of "alternative"

I hope the Jackets are only paying these people peanuts if anything.

Old
12-01-2009, 01:28 PM
The Boom Abides

If they could pound on Mike Todd's head during timeouts...now THAT would be entertaining!

The Boom Abides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2009, 02:23 PM
BluejacketNut

So if we get rid of them, can we get rid of the crappy 80's cheese music

BluejacketNut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2009, 02:51 PM
Inquiring Minds

I do have a question.
Is it league-wide policy that all official in-game activities have to stop when the puck drops and cannot resume until the next break in play? Because it would suck if they get the fans into it, and get a good cheer going, only to have it snipped off with the next faceoff. If it is policy, then it really has to be up to the crowd to get it going and keep it sustained, and that is difficult. Really, the best we can expect is "Lets...go...Jack...ets...clap-clap-clap-clap-clap."

Inquiring Minds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2009, 12:37 PM
MattTheMask
Cbus for life!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inquiring Minds View Post
I do have a question.
Is it league-wide policy that all official in-game activities have to stop when the puck drops and cannot resume until the next break in play? Because it would suck if they get the fans into it, and get a good cheer going, only to have it snipped off with the next faceoff. If it is policy, then it really has to be up to the crowd to get it going and keep it sustained, and that is difficult. Really, the best we can expect is "Lets...go...Jack...ets...clap-clap-clap-clap-clap."
Im pretty sure thats the rule. Every NHL arena I have been to has followed this policy.

But you dont have to worry about it getting snipped off because the Boom Jackets dont get the crowd into it. In fact, they have the opposite effect.

If Game Ops puts up the right things on the jumbotron the crowd will follow suit, even after it goes off the screen. For example, I love the whole "How Bad Do You Want It Columbus" and they start playing Right Now by Van Halen. Crowd goes nuts and keeps it up throughout play.

Lets Go Jackets is better than nothing. I would like to hear that constantly or just flat out noise, people standing and going nuts. The Wash Caps, didnt have many chants but they were just loud.

Old
12-02-2009, 09:40 PM
Feicht

Send a message via AIM to Feicht
I think if they really wanted to help the atmosphere at Nationwide (which, I don't really think they do, but...) they would allow regular paying spectators to bring in drums and horns and stuff. It would be more chaotic, but also more like...gasp...a real sporting event

Feicht is offline   Reply With Quote