HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Some Monday Afternoon Fun!

Old
11-30-2009, 07:58 PM
Aznrx8

vCash: 500
This is latest from Ek lol

I am hearing some rather surprising stuff coming out of Florida and California tonight regarding the fact that the Panthers may have interest in Scott Gomez. I have reported recently and know for fact that Nathan Horton is the prime target for the Canadiens. Gomez has a very odd limited no trade clause in his deal that allows him to pre select a certain number of teams that he would accept a deal to prior to the season.

Again, that doesn't prohibit the Canadiens from going to him and asking him...as the Rangers did this summer.

Aznrx8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2009, 08:01 PM
QuietReign

Gomez for Lecavalier?!

I highly doubt that...

QuietReign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2009, 08:27 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aznrx8 View Post
This is latest from Ek lol

I am hearing some rather surprising stuff coming out of Florida and California tonight regarding the fact that the Panthers may have interest in Scott Gomez. I have reported recently and know for fact that Nathan Horton is the prime target for the Canadiens. Gomez has a very odd limited no trade clause in his deal that allows him to pre select a certain number of teams that he would accept a deal to prior to the season.

Again, that doesn't prohibit the Canadiens from going to him and asking him...as the Rangers did this summer.
Would be too good to be true

Weber was Peter DeBoer's player with the Kitchener Rangers...

I bet this is where E-Clown thought of something like : Horton for Gomer, Weber and a pick (2nd round ).

Oh oh oh.. .and then why not a threeway with US taking Lecavalier for Horton !!

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2009, 08:36 PM
icerocket

According to the mods here, Eklund is a credible source.

icerocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2009, 08:39 PM
Bronn
Registered Sellsword

Quote:
Originally Posted by jurisconsult View Post
Gomez for Lecavalier?!

I highly doubt that...
So do i but it does make sense.

Montreal get the guy they wanted for a looooog time (Gainey tried to acquire him last season) and Tampa get out of the 10 years contract they signed Vinny for this summer. Yes they get one of the worse contract of the league in return but they can get out of it in 5 years as opposed to 10 with Lecavalier. Financially it make sense for Tampa to do this , especilly considering the emergence of Stamkos and their financial problems.

Bronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2009, 08:43 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ground And Pound View Post
So do i but it does make sense.

Montreal get the guy they wanted for a looooog time (Gainey tried to acquire him last season) and Tampa get out of the 10 years contract they signed Vinny for this summer. Yes they get one of the worse contract of the league in return but they can get out of it in 5 years as opposed to 10 with Lecavalier. Financially it make sense for Tampa to do this , especilly considering the emergence of Stamkos and their financial problems.
Hmmm, does sound interesting and there is quite a lot of logic in your arguments. The question is, despite Gainey saying he and TB ownership are on good terms now, would they go into another mid-season discussion, and then, Lecavalier, would he still be willing to come to Montreal? He has the upper hand now on both the Habs and TB, especially TB. And then Gomer...

Although I hate Vinny's contract, a 100 times more than I hate Gomer's, This would definetly make the Habs pretty nasty once Markov comes back... Vinny with Gio and either SK or Pouliot or Pac, and keep the AK-Cam-Plex line.... that'd be sweet. A better defensive center might also fit better on TB's second line behind Stamkos. I think both teams would be upgraded this way, not in the sense of talent, but for needs, both financially and for playing roles on both teams.

If ever Gainey would to pull this off, all that would remain would be for injured players to come back, and then make cap space to accomodate guys like Plex who will get the biggest raise (around 2-2,5), and SK and Price who will require smaller raises. And sign Markov in July. With a lot of youngsters rolling in, several old contracts going out, we would have the needed rotation of cap space to be able to keep this team's core intact for several years, with small tweaks along the way.

Last edited by Ozymandias: 11-30-2009 at 08:56 PM.
Old
11-30-2009, 09:42 PM
JHabs
HFB Partner

Send a message via MSN to JHabs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
Hmmm, does sound interesting and there is quite a lot of logic in your arguments. The question is, despite Gainey saying he and TB ownership are on good terms now, would they go into another mid-season discussion, and then, Lecavalier, would he still be willing to come to Montreal? He has the upper hand now on both the Habs and TB, especially TB. And then Gomer...

Although I hate Vinny's contract, a 100 times more than I hate Gomer's, This would definetly make the Habs pretty nasty once Markov comes back... Vinny with Gio and either SK or Pouliot or Pac, and keep the AK-Cam-Plex line.... that'd be sweet. A better defensive center might also fit better on TB's second line behind Stamkos. I think both teams would be upgraded this way, not in the sense of talent, but for needs, both financially and for playing roles on both teams.

If ever Gainey would to pull this off, all that would remain would be for injured players to come back, and then make cap space to accomodate guys like Plex who will get the biggest raise (around 2-2,5), and SK and Price who will require smaller raises. And sign Markov in July. With a lot of youngsters rolling in, several old contracts going out, we would have the needed rotation of cap space to be able to keep this team's core intact for several years, with small tweaks along the way.
Ironically enough, Pierre McGuire and Tony Marinaro both said on the Team 990 that Vinny is very upset with Tampa's GM and Owners, along with the fact that he doesn't fit Tocchet's system, and vice versa.

Would make an interesting week if we did get Vinny before the centennial season ends. Thing is could Vinny give more than Gomez? can vinny be a 90-100 point player in Montreal? I duno. Neither can Gomez mind you.

JHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2009, 10:25 PM
znk

Do not touch Vinny. Seriously that contract is far worst the the Gomez contract.

znk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2009, 10:33 PM
walsy37

Quote:
Originally Posted by znk View Post
Do not touch Vinny. Seriously that contract is far worst the the Gomez contract.
This is exactly what I was thinking - the only contract in the league worse than Gomer's is Vinny's.

walsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2009, 10:45 PM
Aznrx8

Its not just the length but also the NTC or No Movement Clause
And there is a worst contract than those 2. Chris Drury!! Given by our friend Sather!

Aznrx8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2009, 10:51 PM
LastRide

Vinny is close to a point a game but he should be scoring more for the money he makes. His contract is brutal. I would rather have Kovalchuk if at all possible or someone else thats good and can help out in the lack of scoring from the Habs.

LastRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2009, 11:37 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by LastRide View Post
Vinny is close to a point a game but he should be scoring more for the money he makes. His contract is brutal. I would rather have Kovalchuk if at all possible or someone else thats good and can help out in the lack of scoring from the Habs.
Problem is I think Atlanta will try to hold on to Kovalchuk and Tampa is more logical.

I agree that Vinny's contract is longer and 100 more times horrible than Gomer's, but we'd be trading the same cap hit for a player who is PPG playing on the second line in TB. It would be an upgrade, and on Tampa's side they get a two-way center and 6 years off a long contract (and they don't have to pay 10 million per year in the next few years).

I would rather have Kovalchuk, but Vinny would definitely be an upgrade on Gomer as per our needs, as we already have a good two-way center in Plekanec, we need a big man in the middle on the top 6.

Old
12-01-2009, 12:10 AM
JHabs
HFB Partner

Quote:
Problem is I think Atlanta will try to hold on to Kovalchuk and Tampa is more logical.

I agree that Vinny's contract is longer and 100 more times horrible than Gomer's, but we'd be trading the same cap hit for a player who is PPG playing on the second line in TB. It would be an upgrade, and on Tampa's side they get a two-way center and 6 years off a long contract (and they don't have to pay 10 million per year in the next few years).

I would rather have Kovalchuk, but Vinny would definitely be an upgrade on Gomer as per our needs, as we already have a good two-way center in Plekanec, we need a big man in the middle on the top 6.
I agree with you, Kovalchuk would be a great player to have here, but he seems more out of reach than Vinny.

Stamkos has emerged as their #1 center, and Vinny is sitting on the 2nd line with 2 decent wingers. He'd be welcome here with open arms, and would definitely be an upgrade over Gomez. Vinny would be our #1 center, our 1a player that we've been craving. I think he would thrive with JM.

However am I the only one who thinks trading Gomez after 20 games is in poor taste? I mean we just got the poor guy and we ship him again? I duno, feels really awkward in my opinion.

Old
12-01-2009, 12:17 AM
Serious HABit

when will these rumours die. Gomez is here to stay lol

Serious HABit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2009, 12:57 AM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yarfangor View Post
I agree with you, Kovalchuk would be a great player to have here, but he seems more out of reach than Vinny.

Stamkos has emerged as their #1 center, and Vinny is sitting on the 2nd line with 2 decent wingers. He'd be welcome here with open arms, and would definitely be an upgrade over Gomez. Vinny would be our #1 center, our 1a player that we've been craving. I think he would thrive with JM.

However am I the only one who thinks trading Gomez after 20 games is in poor taste? I mean we just got the poor guy and we ship him again? I duno, feels really awkward in my opinion.
It does. But if that kind of oppurtunity arises, what do you do, just sit back and watch someone like TO trying to take Vinny away?

It's a business and I'm sure Gomer would understand. And he wouldn't be going to such a bad place, I mean, the owners suck donkey balls and can go ape **** at each other's troats, but for the rest, they have a young core like the Habs and he would have sunshine all year long, which would be fitting for a mexican born in Alaska.

Old
12-01-2009, 01:34 AM
JHabs
HFB Partner

Quote:
It does. But if that kind of oppurtunity arises, what do you do, just sit back and watch someone like TO trying to take Vinny away?

It's a business and I'm sure Gomer would understand. And he wouldn't be going to such a bad place, I mean, the owners suck donkey balls and can go ape **** at each other's troats, but for the rest, they have a young core like the Habs and he would have sunshine all year long, which would be fitting for a mexican born in Alaska.
I suppose. Do you think the players would frown upon it? Like something that future UFAs or players would be like, Oh no way Gainey did that I'm not going there. Something that might haunt us?

Old
12-01-2009, 08:17 AM
neofury*

"He whose name we should not speak" must not even care anymore. I don't think he's even bothering to hide the fact that he's a fraud anymore, he just makes them up without using any logic what so ever now rather then before where he would at least try to post rumors that somewhat make sense.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2009, 09:16 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

I can see TB wanting to move Vinny's contract, but there is no way the Habs take him on without Gomez being moved/included in the deal. 15+ mil it too much to have tied up on 2 centers.

The US economic landscape makes contracts like Vinnie's a big drag on cash flow, especially with Stamkos emerging as the future of the team.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2009, 09:30 AM
Mad Habber

Quote:
Originally Posted by walsy37 View Post
This is exactly what I was thinking - the only contract in the league worse than Gomer's is Vinny's.
Actually, I think the Yashin contract is still the worst in the league. I know he has been bought out, but he's still on their salary cap. They are still paying him 2.2 mil for the next five years after this one.

Mad Habber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2009, 09:33 AM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yarfangor View Post
I suppose. Do you think the players would frown upon it? Like something that future UFAs or players would be like, Oh no way Gainey did that I'm not going there. Something that might haunt us?
Well, if they would end-up keeping Gio, Cammy and Spacek till the end of their contracts, it might just show Gomez was just a way of waiting for the trade they wanted in the first place. And Gomez wasn't a UFA... Among all the new guys, he's the most logical to theoriticaly go because he wasn't signed to a contract to join the team, although he does have a NTC.

In fact, isn't that what Gainey is most frowned upon for, keeping his UFAs till the very end of their contracts? UFAs might consider what happened to Gomez as a rare occurence by the Habs.

Anyway, I don't think Gainey would trade Gomez so quick.... unless... someone called him. Someone with financial problems with a worst contract to get rid of.

Old
12-01-2009, 09:40 AM
The n00b King
Kingin' since 2003

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
The lowest seeded team will trade two young prospects, one of which is a 14th overall pick, for an upcoming UFA.

Logic alone will cut out 90% of his rumors.

I think the Mods should start giving infraction points when someone posts any rumor out of Eklund.
you've been around long enough to know this will never happen because:

a) Ecklund is a member of these boards, and talking **** about him might actually get YOU an infraction.

b) He's a member of the press, thus his rumour/site is on equal footings with the likes of TSN etc. He may make stuff up, but he's allowed to.

besides, if you hate ecklund rumors so much, i dont understand why you post in the thread? As a matter of fact i dont understand why anyone who hates those rumours posts in these threads. especially considering that your posts just go on to being ignored. why not just give up and kill yourself anyways?

The n00b King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2009, 09:49 AM
JHabs
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominant Hegemony View Post
you've been around long enough to know this will never happen because:

a) Ecklund is a member of these boards, and talking **** about him might actually get YOU an infraction.

b) He's a member of the press, thus his rumour/site is on equal footings with the likes of TSN etc. He may make stuff up, but he's allowed to.

besides, if you hate ecklund rumors so much, i dont understand why you post in the thread? As a matter of fact i dont understand why anyone who hates those rumours posts in these threads. especially considering that your posts just go on to being ignored. why not just give up and kill yourself anyways?
Well said!

and as for Vinny, Ozy do you think Gainey would trade other pieces rather than Gomez to get Vinny? So the cap hit is smaller for Tampa? Seems more logical no? For Tampa anyway.

Old
12-01-2009, 09:55 AM
Coldplay
Courage

Some of you guys need to get your head on straight.

We are NOT going to trade Scott Gomez. We finally got a player of his caliber, yeah it's a bad contract, but what kind of message would that send if we trade for him then trade him away?

We are NOT going to ****ing get Vincent Lecavalier. Do you really want a contract like his, that's far worse than Gomez's anyway?

I'd think this would be common sense, some of you need to quit dreaming. We don't need Lecavalier, and we don't need to trade Gomez, we need our injured to come back so we can finally show that we're contenders. Yeah, I said it, we almost beat Detroit, we come 11 seconds from beating the #1 seeded team in the East after beating them a few weeks ago.

Whoever doesn't believe in this team, especially now that we're ravaged by injuries and STILL find ways to either beat big teams or come close to, the Leafs board is that way -->
Our fanbase doesn't need any haters like you.

Coldplay is offline   Reply With Quote