HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Tortorella's System Cannot Work with this Roster

Old
11-30-2009, 08:53 PM
NYRangers1388

vCash: 500
Tortorella's System Cannot Work with this Roster

I have a feeling on this season, and it is as follows:

Our team has flaws, as does every team. Our flaws are greater than most in that we lack true secondary scoring and we lack a solid defense.

However, teams can win, or at least be competitive with flaws. We all saw this in the past 3 years, where we at least made the playoffs and got to the 2nd round.

In reality, this year's team is a whole lot like teams in the years past. We really have never had solid defense men, and with guys like Kotalik and Ozolinsh, we had pretty big holes. We have lacked secondary scoring for at least 2 seasons, if not 3. Yet in the past we were able to be competitive. Why?

The difference: the system. I think there are interesting things here. First, let's make some assumptions which seem to be popular.

1. Renney's system may be too defensive minded to really win a Stanley Cup.
2. Torts's systems may have that offensive push to it which can bring home a Cup as in Tampa.

This may be right...however, what is going on is that while Renney's system covered up and blocked our team's holes and flaws, Tortorella's exacerbates the problems.

Renney's defense-first mindset allowed our key guys (think Jagr=Gaborik, Straka/Nylander/Zherdev=Prospal, etc) to score 2 goals and for us to still consistently win hockey games. By being solid on defense and not exposing our goaltender, we were able to capitalize on the advantage that lundqvist gives us. Lundy with the corrent defensive support is a Vezina goaltender. Without that defensive support, it is clear that he can be exploited.

This is what is wrong with Tort's system. It's not that his system is bad; in fact, I think it is great. I love the idea of the offense being hte main focus and of defense joining the rush etc. However, it is a terrible system for this roster. What it does is expose our half of the ice and our goaltender. In giving the opposition time and space on 2 on 1s and from the slot, Lundqvist's weaknesses are exploited and we are scored on quite a bit. Suddenly 2 or 3 goals are not enough to win...and unfortunately 2 or 3 goals is all that our team is capable of producing.

To offer an analogy: It is almost like we have a Ferrari (Tort's high paced, fast, powerful offensive strategy) yet we lack the crucial engine parts and the oil which are necessary to keep it running and running smoothly. Without the necessary parts, that Ferrari is just a shell of a car.

Likewise, without the necessary offensive pieces and defensive plugs, Tortorella's Ferrari of a system is doomed to fail. Could Tort's and his offense-first strategy bring NYC a cup? Yes. But can it do that with this current lineup? Absolutely not.

From this, it is clear that something has to change. Either the coaching has to change and Tort's has to understand this and focus on defense more, or the Roster has to be significantly altered.

NYRangers1388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2009, 08:55 PM
RangerFan10

Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
Honestly, IMO, I think we just need one or two more playmakers. Anisimov will possibly develop in to one of them.

We need another puckmover other than Gaborik too.

Not re-signing Zherdev hurts, even if we just would've given him a 1 or 2 year deal.....

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2009, 08:55 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

No system can work with this roster. Isn't that obvious yet?

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2009, 08:58 PM
NYRangers1388

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting36e View Post
My point is this: I have a feeling that under Renney with this lineup we could have won at least 4 or 5 games that we have lost, improving us to 17-9-1, a whole lot better than 13-13-1.

Not perfect, but a lot better nonetheles...think of games like vs SJS where we lost 7-3. Or vs ATL where we lost 5-3, or vs the Wild where we lost 3-2, or one of these past Pitts games...

The point is this:

1. Change the coaching strategy
or
2. Change the Roster.

We will not be successful without one or the other being significantly altered in some way. I'd personally rather change the roster, but I'm not so sure how possible that is...

Old
11-30-2009, 09:02 PM
NYRangers84

I agree with everything, one of the best posts I've read on HFboards. IMO, we got Tortorella too early..

NYRangers84 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2009, 09:08 PM
Crease

Was just about to write a thread about this. Mentioned it in the gameday thread. Everything here is on point. Good job.

Crease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2009, 09:08 PM
Gardner McKay
Hey Hey...

vCash: 50
Whats easier, re-vamping the team, or the coaching staff?

The actual question is, is the coach the problem or is it the team?

Gardner McKay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2009, 09:10 PM
Crease

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabborik View Post
Whats easier, re-vamping the team, or the coaching staff?

The actual question is, is the coach the problem or is it the team?
Easier to change the coach. Better for the future to re-vamp the team.

Old
11-30-2009, 09:10 PM
hlundqvist30*

For a team to be successful a GM has to build a team that will succeed under the style of the coach. It's not Torts' fault for the system not working with the roster. It's Sather's fault for not building the team to the system.

hlundqvist30* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2009, 09:13 PM
OverTheCap

Quote:

I'm not sure why so many people don't realize this.

Apparently Kotalik, Higgins, etc. were supposed to be these amazing players who can score 30 goals and Torts isn't getting the best out of them.

OverTheCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2009, 09:15 PM
gravytrain6t

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers1388 View Post
My point is this: I have a feeling that under Renney with this lineup we could have won at least 4 or 5 games that we have lost, improving us to 17-9-1, a whole lot better than 13-13-1.

Not perfect, but a lot better nonetheles...
Nah, 1-2-2, 2-1-2, an all out trap which is kind of like a 1-4 with your guys pressing the puck carrier (don't really see it anymore), or a 5-0 lol, the inevitable is really happening. No one. Not Jagr, Straka, Gretzky, Lindros, Gaborik,....etc...etc.., can save this team.

Keep Staal, Dubinsky, Anisimov, Callahan, and MDZ on this team. I like Girardi too. A nice solid core there.

Then, contracts have to expire. Unless someone wants Drury or Rozsival. I doubt it. Every G.M. must get the giggles at night when they think of the Redden signing.

Thirdly, it's simple: the team has to build from within the organization. The draft is our best friend. Hope that out of Stepan, Kreider, McDonagh, Grachev..etc...(we all know the names) many of these kids pan out.

You make a Gaborik or Messier signing when your team is already a playoff caliber team.

Isn't this what the Devils do? If they continue doing what they're doing, I can almost guarantee they bring in that extra goal scorer, or defense man, or face off man to make a strong run in the playoffs.

I think Tortorella knows this team is screwed.

gravytrain6t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2009, 09:16 PM
Crease

Torts defense-first system really stifles the offense.

Old
11-30-2009, 09:17 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by OverTheCap View Post

I'm not sure why so many people don't realize this.

Apparently Kotalik, Higgins, etc. were supposed to be these amazing players who can score 30 goals and Torts isn't getting the best out of them.
I agree that no system will take this team to the Promised Land, but I certainly think we could make some adjustments to our game plan that would churn out better results. Leetch said it--return to a focus on defensive fundamentals, and winning low scoring games.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2009, 09:19 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
I agree that no system will take this team to the Promised Land, but I certainly think we could make some adjustments to our game plan that would churn out better results. Leetch said it--return to a focus on defensive fundamentals, and winning low scoring games.
Too bad we already fired the coach that was doing that with the previous version of this horrendous team.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2009, 09:21 PM
OrbitalDynamics
Ants? Solid Plan.

vCash: 50
Get Schoenfeld back to working with the D.

OrbitalDynamics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2009, 09:23 PM
gravytrain6t

Yea but it doesn't matter. It's still a losing team.

Old
11-30-2009, 09:23 PM
gravytrain6t

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrbitalDynamics View Post
Get Schoenfeld back to working with the D.
I thought that's what he was supposed to be doing?

Old
11-30-2009, 09:25 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Too bad we already fired the coach that was doing that with the previous version of this horrendous team.
That's always an underpinning of my posts, heh. That's why I'm The Renney Apologist™!

Seriously though, we desperately need Tortorella to adjust.

Old
11-30-2009, 09:26 PM
NYRangers84

Bring back Renney this team isn't built for Tortorella hockey

NYRangers84 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2009, 09:28 PM
OverTheCap

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
Oh I agree too, I actually mentioned that Torts has to adjust his system a few days ago.

But I don't know if it's that easy. Each coach has their own system and would prefer to use what they are familiar with. Renney's was obviously defense-oriented and Torts is an uptempo, forechecking game. I don't know if Torts has the expertise in running a defensive scheme so he's going with what he knows.

Sather wanted an uptempo, high offense system, but I wonder if he realized that this system can't be played with just anyone. The cap is clearly a limitation so he can't acquire some players that would be better-suited for Torts' system. When people say that "Torts got the players he wanted," I'm not so sure how true that is.

OverTheCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2009, 09:30 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

tough to win games when your goalie gives up 4 softies in 1 game.

Henrik was awful tonight.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2009, 09:35 PM
NYRangers1388

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
tough to win games when your goalie gives up 4 softies in 1 game.

Henrik was awful tonight.
This is flawed. My explanation is that he is a Vezina goaltender when he has the support which he requires.

He made some big saves that should have been goals, as well.

I think that Tort's lack of defense has really messed with his confidence, aswell...

Old
11-30-2009, 09:36 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by OverTheCap View Post
Oh I agree too, I actually mentioned that Torts has to adjust his system a few days ago.

But I don't know if it's that easy. Each coach has their own system and would prefer to use what they are familiar with. Renney's was obviously defense-oriented and Torts is an uptempo, forechecking game. I don't know if Torts has the expertise in running a defensive scheme so he's going with what he knows.

Sather wanted an uptempo, high offense system, but I wonder if he realized that this system can't be played with just anyone. The cap is clearly a limitation so he can't acquire some players that would be better-suited for Torts' system. When people say that "Torts got the players he wanted," I'm not so sure how true that is.
How hard it is is a good question. However, a lot of people don't realize that Tom Renney didn't come to NY with this defense-first system ingrained in his coaching prospectus--he never coached that way in Juniors, with Team Canada or with Vancouver. He always stressed fundamental hockey, and good backchecking and positioning from his forwards, but the defense-first bit didn't start until he came here. Renney was able to adjust, so I'd assume Torts--he of the Stanley Cup resume--should be able to adjust as well.

I guess the question is will he...

Old
11-30-2009, 09:40 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers1388 View Post
This is flawed. My explanation is that he is a Vezina goaltender when he has the support which he requires.

He made some big saves that should have been goals, as well.

I think that Tort's lack of defense has really messed with his confidence, aswell...
he made a couple of good saves, but this isn't Stephen Valiquette in net, Henrik is usually a helluva lot better than this. He needs to make those saves. We should have given up no more than 2 goals tonight.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2009, 09:41 PM
SomebodySaveKreider

I think this is just a poorly constructed team.

SomebodySaveKreider is offline   Reply With Quote