HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Tortorella's System Cannot Work with this Roster

Old
11-30-2009, 09:44 PM
NYRangers84

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
How hard it is is a good question. However, a lot of people don't realize that Tom Renney didn't come to NY with this defense-first system ingrained in his coaching prospectus--he never coached that way in Juniors, with Team Canada or with Vancouver. He always stressed fundamental hockey, and good backchecking and positioning from his forwards, but the defense-first bit didn't start until he came here. Renney was able to adjust, so I'd assume Torts--he of the Stanley Cup resume--should be able to adjust as well.

I guess the question is will he...
Good post. I think when it comes down to fundamentals and having a sound game plan and system- Renney is a better coach. Renney was able to adjust to his roster like you said and have his team play a defense oriented system.. Tortorella on the other hand is trying to force a system upon a team that isn't capable of withstanding that style of play and unless either he adjusts (which I hope he does but I don't see it happening) or by some miracle the team steps it up completely, this team is in trouble

NYRangers84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2009, 09:50 PM
BKBlackRanger
My Glove******Instagram

Renney's system was ineffective against high scoring teams. Once a team scored we lose or it'll be a skills comepition if we could tie. Lundqvist masked the problems in both systems. Lundqvist not playing like a Veinza goalie= we suck.

Gabby can score 100 goals, but until the whole team gets better Lundqvist must be damn near perfect. When you have to rely on a goalie like that you're toast. Look at the teams that have won the cup. Can you tell me that their goalies flat out stole every second of every game?

We have 0 momentum shifts. We are anti-momentus (new word ). Our offense is like a black hole formed after a star dies. We shine right before nothingness takes over. Not even a Roy-Dryden-Hasek-Broduer-Bower-Esposito-Parent-Sawchuck-Smith-Tretiak hybrid cloned man can help this team. We need GREAT goaltending and that lil' bit of luck dude. Can we borrow him from the NY Lotto? I mean just a lil' bit?

(I would write more, but I don't get paid for my opinions by the column inch like some people, lmao)

BKBlackRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2009, 09:51 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers84 View Post
Good post. I think when it comes down to fundamentals and having a sound game plan and system- Renney is a better coach. Renney was able to adjust to his roster like you said and have his team play a defense oriented system.. Tortorella on the other hand is trying to force a system upon a team that isn't capable of withstanding that style of play and unless either he adjusts (which I hope he does but I don't see it happening) or by some miracle the team steps it up completely, this team is in trouble
i totally disagree with all of this.

I also think people are really misconstruing with Torts' system is. All it is is a puck pressure system, force the team to make a strong play, and take away time and space. This isnt a run and gun system, its a system thats designed to make it tough for the other team to score goals and hold on to the puck for long periods of time. If anything its a system geared towards limiting chances by making life difficult on the opposition through all 3 zones. You will give up some scoring chances, but you should give up fewer shots. The Rangers are really struggling right now because a)they are getting piss poor goaltending from both goalies and b)nobody outside of Gabby can put the puck in the net. Another game, another 2+ posts.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2009, 10:31 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
People claim that Renney lost the team. I have to wonder if Torts has ever had this team.

11-30-2009, 10:34 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
People claim that Renney lost the team. I have to wonder if Torts has ever had this team.
they started 7-1 didnt they?

Old
11-30-2009, 10:35 PM
NYRangers84

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
Exactly, the thought of Renney "losing his team" is nothing more than a ridiculous conspiracy theory. I'm sure the team felt a lot happier knowing Torts was going to coach them

NYRangers84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2009, 10:36 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
i totally disagree with all of this.

I also think people are really misconstruing with Torts' system is. All it is is a puck pressure system, force the team to make a strong play, and take away time and space. This isnt a run and gun system, its a system thats designed to make it tough for the other team to score goals and hold on to the puck for long periods of time. If anything its a system geared towards limiting chances by making life difficult on the opposition through all 3 zones. You will give up some scoring chances, but you should give up fewer shots. The Rangers are really struggling right now because a)they are getting piss poor goaltending from both goalies and b)nobody outside of Gabby can put the puck in the net. Another game, another 2+ posts.
Well, regardless of why the players aren't grasping the system, it's clear that they're not...so I think something needs to change. It seems like we've regressed in terms of being able to execute what Torts wants. I think he should consider being more flexible and allowing guys to play in a system that they're a bit more comfortable with. I see it as trying to jam a square peg into a round hole right now.

It's like when an NFL coach comes in and decides to switch to a 3-4, when his team was playing a 4-3 and playing it fairly well. You can say, "Oh, well if our linebackers could make some tackles, and if our NT could shed some blocks like he usually does, we'd be okay," but there's a bigger problem...the LBs can't make any tackles because they're getting picked off by lineman, and your former stud of a DT can't shed blockers because he's being doubled now. And maybe your 3-4 defense is a simple 3-4 scheme, with just a few basic sets, something that shouldn't be terribly hard to grasp--well, you simply don't have the proper personnel to run the system. You have guys that could be good when playing in their comfort zone, and you have a NT that can be dominant if he's not getting double- and triple-teamed all the time, but it aint happening because you insist on running out of a 3-4 all game long.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers84 View Post
Exactly, the thought of Renney "losing his team" is nothing more than a ridiculous conspiracy theory. I'm sure the team felt a lot happier knowing Torts was going to coach them
That looks more and more like an aberration with each passing day.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2009, 10:40 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Well, regardless of why the players aren't grasping the system, it's clear that they're not...so I think something needs to change. It seems like we've regressed in terms of being able to execute what Torts wants. I think he should consider being more flexible and allowing guys to play in a system that they're a bit more comfortable with. I see it as trying to jam a square peg into a round hole right now.

It's like when an NFL coach comes in and decides to switch to a 3-4, when his team was playing a 4-3 and playing it fairly well. You can say, "Oh, well if our linebackers could make some tackles, and if our NT could shed some blocks like he usually does, we'd be okay," but there's a bigger problem...the LBs can't make any tackles because they're getting picked off by lineman, and your former stud of a DT can't shed blockers because he's being doubled now. And maybe your 3-4 defense is a simple 3-4 scheme, with just a few basic sets, something that shouldn't be terribly hard to grasp--well, you simply don't have the proper personnel to run the system. You have guys that could be good when playing in their comfort zone, and you have a NT that can be dominant if he's not getting double- and triple-teamed all the time, but it aint happening because you insist on running out of a 3-4 all game long.

That looks more and more like an aberration with each passing day.
but im not sure what youre advocating here. Go to a 1-4? a 1-2-2? a 1-1-3? We DEFINITELY do not have the team for that. A team that plays that kind of a game is big, strong, aggressive, mean, nasty...that is the antithesis of this team.

Old
11-30-2009, 10:42 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
but im not sure what youre advocating here. Go to a 1-4? a 1-2-2? a 1-1-3? We DEFINITELY do not have the team for that. A team that plays that kind of a game is big, strong, aggressive, mean, nasty...that is the antithesis of this team.
Inferno, I don't even know what I'm advocating right now.

I just wanna see a respectable team again.

nyr2k2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2009, 10:45 PM
Classic Devil
Global Moderator
Spirit of 1988

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BKBlackRanger View Post
Renney's system was ineffective against high scoring teams. Once a team scored we lose or it'll be a skills comepition if we could tie. Lundqvist masked the problems in both systems. Lundqvist not playing like a Veinza goalie= we suck.
This is not a problem with the system. This is a problem with the offensive talent of your skaters on the roster.

I don't know if you guys want my 2 cents, but from what I've seen the last few days, Tortorella has demonstrated that he does not demand defensive reliability from his players. I have seen more Rangers defensemen fail to step up and take away a shooting lane in the last two games against Pittsburgh than I have in years prior. Some of that is on the defensemen themselves, but the pattern is so pronounced than some of the blame HAS to fall on the coach. Solve that problem and you cut at least half the goals the Rangers gave up out of the equation.

Classic Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2009, 10:46 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Inferno, I don't even know what I'm advocating right now.

I just wanna see a respectable team again.
oh, believe me, im right there with ya bud lol.

My biggest problem here, is that, im not sure what our problem really is.

I mean, by and large the players are playing well, and for long stretches of time, but they make small mistakes here and there, and they ALWAYS seem to end up in the back of our net, and on the flip side, pucks just will not go in for them. Another 2 posts today, to add to what is im sure the lead league in iron for us.

Right now the only thing I can think of is to do what Joe Girardi did in the preseason last year. Take the guys away from the game, just get away, relax, regroup, and come out hungry.

Skip a practice and instead go play pool or something. I think we are just so nervous of effing up that it becomes a self fulfilling prophecy and...we eff up. Goalies are tight, and screwing up, forwards are tight, and screwing up...it just seems so mental with this team right now. Weve got a lot of time off now, I would get this team away from the rink for a few days and try to get them relaxed. You always play your best when you relax and let your instincts come through instead of overthinking it.

I also think a trade wouldnt hurt, but with seemingly every team in it, you have to figure nobody is really available unless its a lateral move at best.

Old
11-30-2009, 10:47 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic Devil View Post
This is not a problem with the system. This is a problem with the offensive talent of your skaters on the roster.

I don't know if you guys want my 2 cents, but from what I've seen the last few days, Tortorella has demonstrated that he does not demand defensive reliability from his players. I have seen more Rangers defensemen fail to step up and take away a shooting lane in the last two games against Pittsburgh than I have in years prior. Some of that is on the defensemen themselves, but the pattern is so pronounced than some of the blame HAS to fall on the coach. Solve that problem and you cut at least half the goals the Rangers gave up out of the equation.

thats the ages for 5 of our 6 defenseman.

Old
11-30-2009, 11:01 PM
Classic Devil
Global Moderator
Spirit of 1988

Awards:
Quote:

thats the ages for 5 of our 6 defenseman.
That's definitely part of it, but that's not the whole problem.

Classic Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2009, 11:04 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
That's definitely part of it, but that's not the whole problem.
no, definitely not the whole problem, but MDZ was -5 a few days ago, and the Higgins-Anisimov-Parenteau line, which also has 2 rookies on it, was a combined -10 tonight.

Old
11-30-2009, 11:10 PM
Whoot Whoot
Biased-NYR-Homer

Instead of asking what is our problem its more like what isn't our problem.

And I think I speak for all of us when I say that, in general, the ice at MSG has been really much better this year then in previous years. Very surprising.

Whoot Whoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2009, 11:18 PM
BKBlackRanger
My Glove******Instagram

Quote:

I'll take your 2 cents and trade you about $12M

But in all seriousness, I'm not totally bashing Renney. His system doesn't work against teams that forecheck really well. You can't rope-a-dope your way to the Cup in this NHL. If this was the case we would have won by now with Renney. Offensively we lack creativity. Other than Prospal and Gabby (Avery looked to fit in nicely tonight) we don't have anyone who can create offense. Anisimov shows signs, but he is still too inexperienced and light, but he will be a beast in years to come. Everyone forms a straight line in the O-zone and not even towards the net all the time. We need another playmaker to make things more "active". We have 0 TRUE playmakers. We got a superstar and prospal who can play with your top guy with smarts and hunger. The Rangers have been blocking shots. It's not the shooting lanes I'm concerned about, but the passing lanes. Tic-Tac-Toes to the front of the net are being completed by the opposition to easliy and frequently. Offense is skill, Defense is smarts. We have none of those consistently. In terms of our D-men, Gilroy and DZ are already good playmakers and will get better. DZ with is natural nack for passing and Gilroy with his skating.

Old
11-30-2009, 11:28 PM
Nick00

The reality is we don't have the offensive talent to play a defense-first game.
This team has trouble scoring more than 2 goals as it is, and this is under an aggressive system.
Didn't we go through this last year?
It seems like every season we come to rely on a top 6 comprised of "potential 20 goal scorers", and of course it looks nice on paper with those naive expectations in mind.

Our defensemen are young, small, passive and there's no consistent physical presence in our own end.
If you're the opposition there's really no price to pay around the net.
Most of the forwards are of a similar character and appear completely clueless and irresponsible on the back-check.

The problem is not systematic, it's a matter of not having the right personnel to get the job done.
It's time for a shake-up.

Nick00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2009, 11:28 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKBlackRanger View Post
I'll take your 2 cents and trade you about $12M

But in all seriousness, I'm not totally bashing Renney. His system doesn't work against teams that forecheck really well. You can't rope-a-dope your way to the Cup in this NHL. If this was the case we would have won by now with Renney. Offensively we lack creativity. Other than Prospal and Gabby (Avery looked to fit in nicely tonight) we don't have anyone who can create offense. Anisimov shows signs, but he is still too inexperienced and light, but he will be a beast in years to come. Everyone forms a straight line in the O-zone and not even towards the net all the time. We need another playmaker to make things more "active". We have 0 TRUE playmakers. We got a superstar and prospal who can play with your top guy with smarts and hunger. The Rangers have been blocking shots. It's not the shooting lanes I'm concerned about, but the passing lanes. Tic-Tac-Toes to the front of the net are being completed by the opposition to easliy and frequently. Offense is skill, Defense is smarts. We have none of those consistently. In terms of our D-men, Gilroy and DZ are already good playmakers and will get better. DZ with is natural nack for passing and Gilroy with his skating.
and again i think we have to realize that 1)we are VERY hamstrung by a few horrendous contracts, and 2)we have a tremendous amount of youth on our team (right now counting PAP and Lisin we have 6 rookies on this squad). Those are 2 big things to overcome. I swear if Sather could just figure out a way to get out from under Drury, Redden and Rozsival (or at least 2 of them) we could put together a more competitive team.

Old
11-30-2009, 11:32 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick00 View Post
The reality is we don't have the offensive talent to play a defense-first game.
This team has trouble scoring more than 2 goals as it is, and this is under an aggressive system.
Didn't we go through this last year?
It seems like every season we come to rely on a top 6 comprised of "potential 20 goal scorers", and of course it looks nice on paper with those naive expectations in mind.

Our defensemen are young, small, passive and there's no consistent physical presence in our own end.
If you're the opposition there's really no price to pay around the net.
Most of the forwards are of a similar character and appear completely clueless and irresponsible on the back-check.

The problem is not systematic, it's a matter of not having the right personnel to get the job done.
It's time for a shake-up.
i definitely think we dont have the personnel to play a defensive game, if for no other reason than we are a team filled with smallish players, you CAN NOT play a defensive game with midgets. It didnt work for Renney, and it won't work for Torts. Guys just need to finish, period. how many posts can a team hit? sheesh.

Old
11-30-2009, 11:48 PM
BKBlackRanger
My Glove******Instagram

To paraphrase Torts-' We have to lose the right way'

I think that's what's going on here, during a tough stretch you find out what you really got and I think that's what Torts wants to know to some extent.

Old
12-01-2009, 12:19 AM
TheHotRock

is it bad that all i care about is gaborik breaking jagr's records?

i want a top 10 pick and i want to be able to watch a guy dominate. sue me. we weren't gonna win anything this year anyway.

i'm fantanking

TheHotRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2009, 12:20 AM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
My biggest problem here, is that, im not sure what our problem really is.
If you aren't sure what our problem is, then you've got bigger problems than that.

Quote:
I mean, by and large the players are playing well, and for long stretches of time, but they make small mistakes here and there, and they ALWAYS seem to end up in the back of our net, and on the flip side, pucks just will not go in for them. Another 2 posts today, to add to what is im sure the lead league in iron for us.
Playing well by what standards? Playing well for role players? Sure. Because that's what nearly ever forward on the team is. A role player. Or worse, a minor leaguer. None of these players have the talent to create offense for themselves or others. That's the problem. There is no mystery, and it doesn't matter what kind of system the coach runs. This is a horribly untalented roster, just as it was last year. The name's are different, but it's the same thing. Just now we have ONE guy who can do it himself. That isn't enough in this league.

Quote:
Right now the only thing I can think of is to do what Joe Girardi did in the preseason last year. Take the guys away from the game, just get away, relax, regroup, and come out hungry.

Skip a practice and instead go play pool or something. I think we are just so nervous of effing up that it becomes a self fulfilling prophecy and...we eff up. Goalies are tight, and screwing up, forwards are tight, and screwing up...it just seems so mental with this team right now. Weve got a lot of time off now, I would get this team away from the rink for a few days and try to get them relaxed. You always play your best when you relax and let your instincts come through instead of overthinking it.

I also think a trade wouldnt hurt, but with seemingly every team in it, you have to figure nobody is really available unless its a lateral move at best.
You can take them on pony rides, won't change the fact that they don't have any talent. Play time won't turn a bunch of grinders into skill players.

There is no solution to this problem. You can't fix a team when every time you solve a problem you create 3 new ones. There is no system and there is no coach that can turn water into wine.

There's only one way this team will ever be any good. Better players.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2009, 12:21 AM
broadwayblue

2 pages to figure out what's wrong with this roster? Is it really that complicated? We've got 1 legit star and the rest of the team is almost entirely 3rd liners. And on D we have a bunch of primarily young guys who are just getting their feet wet. This team can't win with an offensive system and it can't win with a defensive system. But that's ok, as long as they keep moving in the right direction. I see a much brighter future for this team in 2 years.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2009, 12:28 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting36e View Post
If you aren't sure what our problem is, then you've got bigger problems than that.

Playing well by what standards? Playing well for role players? Sure. Because that's what nearly ever forward on the team is. A role player. Or worse, a minor leaguer. None of these players have the talent to create offense for themselves or others. That's the problem. There is no mystery, and it doesn't matter what kind of system the coach runs. This is a horribly untalented roster, just as it was last year. The name's are different, but it's the same thing. Just now we have ONE guy who can do it himself. That isn't enough in this league.

You can take them on pony rides, won't change the fact that they don't have any talent. Play time won't turn a bunch of grinders into skill players.

There is no solution to this problem. You can't fix a team when every time you solve a problem you create 3 new ones. There is no system and there is no coach that can turn water into wine.

There's only one way this team will ever be any good. Better players.

Chris Drury, career 25+ goal scorer
Ryan Callahan, scored 20+ goals last year
Chris Higgins, career 20+ goal scorer.

Those 3 you pencil in for 65 goals combined right? Right now they are on pace to score 25 combined goals.

Take 40 goals off the top of any team and I bet you they will look a lot weaker than they actually are. If you can get just those 3 guys going at a very reasonable rate that they have proven over their careers that they can produce at, the Rangers go from the 14th ranked offense to the 2nd ranked offense in the league.

This team has the talent, when you factor in that Gaborik is playing out of his mind, but those 3 guys struggling as they are has really hurt this team.

Old
12-01-2009, 12:37 AM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Chris Drury, career 25+ goal scorer
Ryan Callahan, scored 20+ goals last year
Chris Higgins, career 20+ goal scorer.

Those 3 you pencil in for 65 goals combined right? Right now they are on pace to score 25 combined goals.

Take 40 goals off the top of any team and I bet you they will look a lot weaker than they actually are. If you can get just those 3 guys going at a very reasonable rate that they have proven over their careers that they can produce at, the Rangers go from the 14th ranked offense to the 2nd ranked offense in the league.

This team has the talent, when you factor in that Gaborik is playing out of his mind, but those 3 guys struggling as they are has really hurt this team.
You just listed 3 20 goal scorers...I hardly consider that 'talent'. I'm not saying it's worthless...but it's a far cry from having a 30 goal guy to make other teams worry about.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote