HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

"Nothin' But a Good Time" - 11.30.09 - Nashville vs Calgary 7:00 CST

Old
11-30-2009, 07:58 PM
Seth Lake

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Missed the first half of the period, but got enough of an idea in the second half...

The Preds aren't able to break the Flames forecheck and it is killing them. They have got to make adjustments to their breakout to provide some more support on the initial pass and throughout the neutral zone.

If we cannot carry through the neutral zone, we are going to have to dump it, but...why dump it straight to Kipper allowing him to act as the 6th defender and jump start the breakout? The Preds have got to start playing smarter on dump-ins. Use cross-corner and soft dump-ins to control where the puck winds up and put it into areas where they can aggressively forecheck.

Doing a great job of "looking high" when we have puck control deep in the offensive end, but the Preds have to do a much better job of taking away Kipper's eyes on shots from the point...

Calgary controlled play for much of that period, but the teams each looked like they were feeling each other out as well. Expect the Flames to continue to look to control the flow of the game with their aggressive checking style, but the Preds have got to find a way to try to balance the flow a little if they don't want to get worn out with a period remaining.

Big period here for the Preds...

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2009, 08:03 PM
Seth Lake

Well, that stunk...

Arnott with the faceoff win, puck directed to Hamhuis at the point, he winds up and blasts one into Moss's shinguards. Moss beats Franson and Hamhuis back to Rinne and scores on the breakaway...

1-0 Flames...

Old
11-30-2009, 08:08 PM
OpenWheel

2-0

We need our high-powered offense to get going! Well, at least sucker Calgary into helping us out with some penalties.

OpenWheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
worstfaceoffmanever
What's the Pred say?

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnlikestars View Post
I dont share your pessimism today friends, tonight is gonna be a great game.
2-0 Flames more than halfway through.

You were saying?

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Jonesey
KCCO

We are the worst 2nd period team in the nhl.

Jonesey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2009, 08:10 PM
Seth Lake

Gut check time...

2-0 Flames on a Dawes PP goal after Suter clears the puck over the glass from the defensive zone following his linemates blowing out of the zone and failing to get the puck over the blueline themselves.

Gotta stop it now and dig deep. Settle down and get the next one if we stand any reasonable chance at getting back into this game...

Old
11-30-2009, 08:11 PM
OpenWheel

Belak out there. I smell a comeback.

OpenWheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2009, 08:12 PM
Seth Lake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trade Legwand View Post
We are the worst 2nd period team in the nhl.
Have been for years...

Old
11-30-2009, 08:16 PM
Jonesey
KCCO

I want belak to score this season.

Jonesey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2009, 09:02 PM
Seth Lake

Wow, no one picks up Pardy coming in off the point and allows him to beat Rinne from the high slot relatively uncontested...

3-0 Flames.

New lines this period too...

Gotta simply take it one shift at a time and look to create something throughout the rest of the game...

Old
11-30-2009, 09:03 PM
Seth Lake

Sullivan - Arnott - Erat
Ward - Legwand - Tootoo
Hornqvist - Goc - Dumont
Belak - Santorelli - Smithson

Weber - Suter
Hamhuis - Klein
Bouillon - Franson

is the new lineup...

Old
11-30-2009, 09:11 PM
FoxMulder91*

The Flames do have a couple injuries, Bourque and Sarich..just though id point that out because of the original post.

Joel Ward is playing great tonight, id love him on the Flames.

FoxMulder91* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2009, 09:19 PM
goalscorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxMulder91 View Post
The Flames do have a couple injuries, Bourque and Sarich..just though id point that out because of the original post..
Thanks, glad you told us. It wasn't added already.

goalscorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2009, 09:21 PM
Seth Lake

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxMulder91 View Post
Joel Ward is playing great tonight, id love him on the Flames.
You already got Moss...

Old
11-30-2009, 09:22 PM
goalscorer

Granted we are playing a strong road team with some strong players, but I'm not happy at all with our play this game.

goalscorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2009, 09:25 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
What's the Pred say?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLake View Post
Sullivan - Arnott - Erat
Ward - Legwand - Tootoo
Hornqvist - Goc - Dumont
Belak - Santorelli - Smithson

Weber - Suter
Hamhuis - Klein
Bouillon - Franson

is the new lineup...
Somebody call FEMA, because that lineup is a disaster.

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2009, 09:27 PM
Seth Lake

Quote:
Originally Posted by goalscorer View Post
Granted we are playing a strong road team with some strong players, but I'm not happy at all with our play this game.
Doubt anyone in the locker room will be either...

Key to having a successful season is not to get too high when things are going well and not to get too low when you lay an egg.

The Preds have to bottle the feeling in the pit of their stomach tonight as they head home from the arena and store it away as something they don't want to experience again. Gotta learn from tonight's game and refocus to prepare for their next game.

Crappy end to what was otherwise a GREAT month...

Old
11-30-2009, 09:30 PM
Seth Lake

This game really boiled down to a game between two teams playing a very similar style and playing with a very similar work ethic being decided by a difference in talent. The Flames had the advantage in skill and are controlling the game tonight because they worked as hard as the Predators and that allowed them to play their aggressive forechecking style and put us back in a reactionary mode.

The Preds needed to get an early start and play from ahead tonight to win. Unfortunately, they didn't and they paid the consequences for it.

Hats off to the Flames tonight on a great road game!

Old
11-30-2009, 10:36 PM
predfan98

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trade Legwand View Post
I want belak to score this season.
I want Belak to sit this season. We can't roll 4 lines with him in there, and whoever plays with him might as well give up.

We played horrid, but they all know it.

predfan98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2009, 02:18 AM
sparkle twin
I luv u summertime

Send a message via ICQ to sparkle twin Send a message via AIM to sparkle twin
Quote:
Originally Posted by MemphisHockeyFan View Post
6-0 Flames
This wasn't supposed to be a real prediction!

Quote:
...The Flames .... worked as hard as the Predators and that allowed them to play their aggressive forechecking style and put us back in a reactionary mode.
The Flames worked harder than the Preds did tonight. Up and down the ice, to every puck, in the corners, in front of each net.

Suter, Boullion were not good. Rinne was not very sharp either, this game definitely didn't do him any favors for Finland.

I guess we're just not going to beat any team from Alberta. It's like a competition to see which team can beat us by the worst score.

McGratton has the worst hair I have ever seen, please guys don't bleach your hair in a skunk pattern, on the side of your head. And Weber is still better.

sparkle twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2009, 06:21 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

We have very little chance to win on a night where our top line just doesn't show up. With the score 2-0, neither Arnott nor Dumont were even moving their legs. Really, only the second and third line even seemed interested. Very, very frustrating game to watch.

And the PP is back to normal. Hooray for us.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2009, 08:34 AM
David Singleton
HFB Partner

Quote:
This game really boiled down to a game between two teams playing a very similar style and playing with a very similar work ethic being decided by a difference in talent. The Flames had the advantage in skill and are controlling the game tonight because they worked as hard as the Predators and that allowed them to play their aggressive forechecking style and put us back in a reactionary mode.

The Preds needed to get an early start and play from ahead tonight to win. Unfortunately, they didn't and they paid the consequences for it.

Hats off to the Flames tonight on a great road game!
Quite frankly, I disagree with this notion that the Predators don't have much in the way of skill- (Edited to add) or that Nashville is severely out-talented or out-skilled by most opponents.

In comparing the two teams, Calgary has the most talented player in Iglina. Mikka has a slight edge in skill and talent over Pekka, and a much larger edge in experience. Defensively, Calgary is slightly deeper- mainly due to experience. At the top, however, it's essentially even or maybe a very slight edge to Calgary.

Get past Iglina (which is not easly done mind you), and I like the skill and talent of Nashville's forward core much better. That said, I like the chemistry, speed, aggressiveness, and grit of Calgary's forwards better- but the question was about talent.

Nashville's a low budget team, yes. That said, the money they have spent has been on players that are talented.

Tonight, those players (along with the coaching staff) were beat. They were suffocated by Calgary's aggressive forechecking (something that Nashville is supposed to do). Calgary took advantage of Nashville's defense-first offensive strategies. When Nashville has the puck in the offensive zone, they frequently revert to a strategy of the defensemen remaining out high and not supporting the forwards and their puck possession efforts. When that happens, the defense out numbers the Nashville forwards 5-3 and can easily gain puck possession. It also creates a larger gap between the forwards and defensemen making it harder for the forwards to help by backchecking.

Something else that bothers me about Nashville (although not necessarily tonight). It's a pet project of mine that I'm still working on, but they have to have the absolute worst shot percentage (counting misses and blocks) as team in the League (again, I've yet to verify this). I don't know if it's the manta of throwing pucks on net causing this perception of mine, but that should be fixable without abandoning the mantra.

In my opinion, Nashville has the talent to succeed. Experience is certainly an issue. Offensive strategies might be an issue. Chemistry is a concern. But, not talent.

Last edited by David Singleton: 12-01-2009 at 08:55 AM.
David Singleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2009, 09:31 AM
MemphisMTLfan

So I've been cut off from the world since yesterday and am just now seeing the score.

Not surprised at all.

I don't see us beating Calgary this season. The loss isn't upsetting because it was expected. I like both the Preds and the Flames style of play--but I honestly think the Flames' style will win every time.

It's also not upsetting because I know that we'll bounce back.

If Dawes is the real deal, he was a steal. 4 game goal streak so far and he's a tiny little thing.

MemphisMTLfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2009, 09:42 AM
predfan98

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Singleton View Post
Quite frankly, I disagree with this notion that the Predators don't have much in the way of skill- (Edited to add) or that Nashville is severely out-talented or out-skilled by most opponents.

In comparing the two teams, Calgary has the most talented player in Iglina. Mikka has a slight edge in skill and talent over Pekka, and a much larger edge in experience. Defensively, Calgary is slightly deeper- mainly due to experience. At the top, however, it's essentially even or maybe a very slight edge to Calgary.

Get past Iglina (which is not easly done mind you), and I like the skill and talent of Nashville's forward core much better. That said, I like the chemistry, speed, aggressiveness, and grit of Calgary's forwards better- but the question was about talent.

Nashville's a low budget team, yes. That said, the money they have spent has been on players that are talented.

Tonight, those players (along with the coaching staff) were beat. They were suffocated by Calgary's aggressive forechecking (something that Nashville is supposed to do). Calgary took advantage of Nashville's defense-first offensive strategies. When Nashville has the puck in the offensive zone, they frequently revert to a strategy of the defensemen remaining out high and not supporting the forwards and their puck possession efforts. When that happens, the defense out numbers the Nashville forwards 5-3 and can easily gain puck possession. It also creates a larger gap between the forwards and defensemen making it harder for the forwards to help by backchecking.

Something else that bothers me about Nashville (although not necessarily tonight). It's a pet project of mine that I'm still working on, but they have to have the absolute worst shot percentage (counting misses and blocks) as team in the League (again, I've yet to verify this). I don't know if it's the manta of throwing pucks on net causing this perception of mine, but that should be fixable without abandoning the mantra.

In my opinion, Nashville has the talent to succeed. Experience is certainly an issue. Offensive strategies might be an issue. Chemistry is a concern. But, not talent.
I'm glad to see that in writing. It is so frustrating to see one Nashville player and 3 other teams players trying to get the same puck in our offensive zone. It makes me shake my head and wonder how we ever even get a goal with this strategy.

predfan98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2009, 09:50 AM
David Singleton
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by predfan98 View Post
I'm glad to see that in writing. It is so frustrating to see one Nashville player and 3 other teams players trying to get the same puck in our offensive zone. It makes me shake my head and wonder how we ever even get a goal with this strategy.
There's nothing wrong with the strategy per se. It's not a strategy that lends itself to a puck possesion team however. It can be very effective for a team that plays defense first and then uses that (along with the natural gap between the forwards and defensemen) to counterattack on rushes.

Unfortunately, this team isn't as geared to that counterattack strategy personnel-wise.

When the strategy doesn't work you see what happened last night- no offense and a perception (a correct one) of being on one's heels all night.

David Singleton is offline   Reply With Quote