HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Will we see Linus Omark in Oiler's jersey one day?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-01-2009, 04:39 AM
  #1
Komarov47
Registered User
 
Komarov47's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Helsinki
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,602
vCash: 500
Will we see Linus Omark in Oiler's jersey one day?

This guy is considered like maybe the best player playing outside the NHL, i really did'nt understand why he left to Russia this season. Hope we'll see him one day cuz this guys is gifted !

Komarov47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2009, 04:46 AM
  #2
Cam98
Registered User
 
Cam98's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 1,997
vCash: 500
never know he is gifted, watching this clip, both beauty goals, but second goal it was a 1 man show himself lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ubUxA5e6WI0

Cam98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2009, 06:17 AM
  #3
Ragss
Registered User
 
Ragss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 1,537
vCash: 500
Despite his small stature, the guy is a mini foppa. I sincerely hope we get a chance to see him play for the Oil.

Ragss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2009, 06:20 AM
  #4
Valic
BOOOOOOOOOO
 
Valic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,557
vCash: 500
He signed a two year contract in Russia but rumour has it that he has an outclause for the NHL after this year.

He left for Russia because the Oilers made it pretty clear he would have a hard time making the NHL and would have to "earn" his spot on the team. (Only so many roster spots for smurfs)

From what we've heard he felt slighted the Oilers never even offered him the AHL max salary as part of his deal so he went to Russia to make some money.

However after his very good World Championships it seems like Kevin Prentegrast essentially kissed and made up with Linus to an extent, which warmed the relationship up a bit. Alot of Swedish media had alot of negative things to say about the Oilers after the way he was treated. Things seemed to settle down after the Worlds tho.


Last edited by Valic: 12-01-2009 at 06:29 AM.
Valic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2009, 07:16 AM
  #5
Komarov47
Registered User
 
Komarov47's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Helsinki
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,602
vCash: 500
I bet with Hemsky injured you would enjoy have a guy like Omark in your farm to step in ! Him and Paajarvi could look awesome next season

Komarov47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2009, 07:24 AM
  #6
OilChuck
Clutch and Crutch
 
OilChuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Moneybags
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,233
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Big Bear View Post
I bet with Hemsky injured you would enjoy have a guy like Omark in your farm to step in ! Him and Paajarvi could look awesome next season
and Eberle....

OilChuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2009, 07:31 AM
  #7
rprice92
Registered User
 
rprice92's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Edmonton
Country: Sierra Leone
Posts: 1,850
vCash: 500
on both those goals, if he was playing on NHL regulated sized rinks he would have been killed 5 times over

rprice92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2009, 07:41 AM
  #8
frag2
Registered User
 
frag2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,385
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valic View Post
He signed a two year contract in Russia but rumour has it that he has an outclause for the NHL after this year.

He left for Russia because the Oilers made it pretty clear he would have a hard time making the NHL and would have to "earn" his spot on the team. (Only so many roster spots for smurfs)

From what we've heard he felt slighted the Oilers never even offered him the AHL max salary as part of his deal so he went to Russia to make some money.

However after his very good World Championships it seems like Kevin Prentegrast essentially kissed and made up with Linus to an extent, which warmed the relationship up a bit. Alot of Swedish media had alot of negative things to say about the Oilers after the way he was treated. Things seemed to settle down after the Worlds tho.
At the rate the team is playing, he doesn't have to "earn", vacancies will be made due to lost bodies and/or waivers hahahah

frag2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2009, 07:53 AM
  #9
Alawishis
Registered User
 
Alawishis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Sherwood Park
Country: Canada
Posts: 687
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valic View Post
He signed a two year contract in Russia but rumour has it that he has an outclause for the NHL after this year.

He left for Russia because the Oilers made it pretty clear he would have a hard time making the NHL and would have to "earn" his spot on the team. (Only so many roster spots for smurfs)

From what we've heard he felt slighted the Oilers never even offered him the AHL max salary as part of his deal so he went to Russia to make some money.


However after his very good World Championships it seems like Kevin Prentegrast essentially kissed and made up with Linus to an extent, which warmed the relationship up a bit. Alot of Swedish media had alot of negative things to say about the Oilers after the way he was treated. Things seemed to settle down after the Worlds tho.
You have to also factor in the $1.2m the KHL offered him. Which one of us would not also take that deal? It will likely be years before he sees that kind of money in the NHL, and would likely be getting paid AHL money if he had signed here at least to start.

To be honest I wish we could switch Omark for Cogs right now. I really think Omark is going to do great here.

Alawishis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2009, 07:55 AM
  #10
oilymion
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: New Zealand
Country: New Zealand
Posts: 105
vCash: 500
I believe Omark is still in the mix for a spot on the Swedish olympic team. I hope he makes it, he's a treat to watch, and a performance against the best in the world played in North America might finally silence his detractors who can't see past his size.

The sad part though is that with the current CBA there is no way for the Oilers to offer him a one-way deal (they can only offer an entry-level contract).

If his choice is possibly riding buses in the AHL for a measly $67,500 (the current maximum AHL salary for NHL entry level) or getting guaranteed >$1M (tax-free!) playing in the KHL... why on earth would he leave?

The bright spot is that due to a lack of an agreement with the KHL, the Oil do retain his rights pretty much indefinitely, so if he does decide to come over it will be with Edmonton.

oilymion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2009, 08:09 AM
  #11
hemskysuncle
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 542
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by rprice92 View Post
on both those goals, if he was playing on NHL regulated sized rinks he would have been killed 5 times over
I agree. I think he is quite good in the open ice, which means that he would have to play with someone who creates it for him. Imagine how much Hemsky would tear things up on Olympic sized ice for a full season. Most of his turnovers are because he runs out of room. Anyways, he could eb a great replacement for someone like Cogliano or (better yet!) Pouliot and/or Nilsson. I guess we will see next year what happens, buthis great play opens things up for the possibility of moving some of the smurfs without worrying about opening up holes.

hemskysuncle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2009, 08:37 AM
  #12
Phaedrus
Registered User
 
Phaedrus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 1,674
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hemskysuncle View Post
I agree. I think he is quite good in the open ice, which means that he would have to play with someone who creates it for him. Imagine how much Hemsky would tear things up on Olympic sized ice for a full season. Most of his turnovers are because he runs out of room. Anyways, he could eb a great replacement for someone like Cogliano or (better yet!) Pouliot and/or Nilsson. I guess we will see next year what happens, buthis great play opens things up for the possibility of moving some of the smurfs without worrying about opening up holes.
The videos of him are quite impressive - BUT, a person could put a goal scoring video together of Domi, with invigorating music, and someone will claim "I wish we had Domi as a first line player!" (I am not sure why I chose to pick on Domi, but no matter - my point is made). Omark might light up the NHL, but the Oil would need to dump many of the other small(er) players; Gagner, Cogliano, O'Sullivan, Eberle, Omark, Brule, Nilsson - to paraphrase a song (by someone I cannot recall), something's 'gotta' give. For the reality is, 'we' have far too many small players - despite Lowe's vision of the new NHL.

Not to mention that MPS and Omark are both LW'rs... as is 'our' current sensation Penner (albeit Penner has been taking a lot of draws).

Too bad they are all so small, a season (next season) with a new kidline of Omark-Brule-Eberle could be exciting.

Hmmmmmmm.....

Penner Staal () Hemsky - or - Kovalchuk Penner Hemsky
MPS Gagner Jacques
Stone Potulny Stortini
Omark-Brule-Eberle (not really a fourth line per se, but playing fourth line minutes)

Sorry Moreau, Horcoff, etc., there is no longer any room for you.

Phaedrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2009, 09:09 AM
  #13
jumptheshark
Give the dog a bone
 
jumptheshark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: hf retirement home
Country: United Nations
Posts: 52,292
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Big Bear View Post
I bet with Hemsky injured you would enjoy have a guy like Omark in your farm to step in ! Him and Paajarvi could look awesome next season

and there is the problem

Omark through his agent has made it clear that spending time on the farm is of no interest of his client and that being in the NHL is. Also, dpending on the source--Omark wants to top level entry of the rookie cap.

Unlike some people on this board I have seen him play live and he reminds me of many small speedsters--he looks good on single events--but over all, he avoids contract, lacks defence skills and when he gets hit--he is useless for the next few shifts.

He reminds me a little of Petr Klima--but Klima was a better player(seen both players play l.ive and not via just the highlights)

__________________
trying to fend off exwife number 2
45000/010113
GO SHARKS GO
jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2009, 10:39 AM
  #14
czar99
Registered User
 
czar99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Shultz'z Place
Posts: 3,920
vCash: 50
I don't mean to be a downer, but he never scores those first two goals on nhl ice, with nhl defenders. I really hope he can translate his obvious sick skillz to the nhl though. just for the record, I am all for going to international ice size in the nhl. Then you would get to see the true skill set of most our players.

czar99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2009, 11:20 AM
  #15
Komarov47
Registered User
 
Komarov47's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Helsinki
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,602
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alawishis View Post
You have to also factor in the $1.2m the KHL offered him. Which one of us would not also take that deal? It will likely be years before he sees that kind of money in the NHL, and would likely be getting paid AHL money if he had signed here at least to start.

To be honest I wish we could switch Omark for Cogs right now. I really think Omark is going to do great here.
If you look clearly, most of the skilled players or ex-NHLer try to comeback from Russia. Ya know guys are used to travel by plane, and all the north-american comfort. Why Jagr wants to comeback in nhl? Same for Radulov, Perezoghin, Esche.... Maybe they have the money in Russia, but they have to stand the weather... trust me, it's a nightmare

Komarov47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2009, 11:28 AM
  #16
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face
 
Reimer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,322
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Big Bear View Post
If you look clearly, most of the skilled players or ex-NHLer try to comeback from Russia. Ya know guys are used to travel by plane, and all the north-american comfort. Why Jagr wants to comeback in nhl? Same for Radulov, Perezoghin, Esche.... Maybe they have the money in Russia, but they have to stand the weather... trust me, it's a nightmare
Oh okay. So they want to come back to the NHL but it won't be with the Oilers.

Reimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2009, 11:40 AM
  #17
Tad Mikowsky
Retired
 
Tad Mikowsky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,442
vCash: 500
Me thinks he might be the next Schremp

Tad Mikowsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2009, 11:45 AM
  #18
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face
 
Reimer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,322
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowstorm View Post
Me thinks he might be the next Schremp
You could predict that with every prospect and probably have a 70% accuracy.

Reimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2009, 11:47 AM
  #19
jumptheshark
Give the dog a bone
 
jumptheshark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: hf retirement home
Country: United Nations
Posts: 52,292
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowstorm View Post
Me thinks he might be the next Schremp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reimer View Post
You could predict that with every prospect and probably have a 70% accuracy.

In the case of Omark it might be closer to the truth do to the fact that he is worse in his own zone then Schremp was

jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2009, 01:50 PM
  #20
The Head Crusher
Moderator
 
The Head Crusher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,852
vCash: 18821
Send a message via MSN to The Head Crusher


Sorry, but the Magic 8 Ball knows all.

__________________
The Head Crusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2009, 01:51 PM
  #21
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face
 
Reimer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,322
vCash: 500
**** THC.

I heard rumors that he wears an Oil jersey around the streets.

Reimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2009, 02:17 PM
  #22
nullmeatbag
Registered User
 
nullmeatbag's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 377
vCash: 500
A line of Omark-Lander-MPS would be sweet. Unlikely, but sweet.

nullmeatbag is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:24 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.