HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Will we see Linus Omark in Oiler's jersey one day?

Old
12-01-2009, 04:39 AM
Komarov47

vCash: 500
Will we see Linus Omark in Oiler's jersey one day?

This guy is considered like maybe the best player playing outside the NHL, i really did'nt understand why he left to Russia this season. Hope we'll see him one day cuz this guys is gifted !

Komarov47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2009, 04:46 AM
Cam98

never know he is gifted, watching this clip, both beauty goals, but second goal it was a 1 man show himself lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ubUxA5e6WI0

Cam98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2009, 06:17 AM
Ragss

Despite his small stature, the guy is a mini foppa. I sincerely hope we get a chance to see him play for the Oil.

Ragss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2009, 06:20 AM
Valic
BOOOOOOOOOO

He signed a two year contract in Russia but rumour has it that he has an outclause for the NHL after this year.

He left for Russia because the Oilers made it pretty clear he would have a hard time making the NHL and would have to "earn" his spot on the team. (Only so many roster spots for smurfs)

From what we've heard he felt slighted the Oilers never even offered him the AHL max salary as part of his deal so he went to Russia to make some money.

However after his very good World Championships it seems like Kevin Prentegrast essentially kissed and made up with Linus to an extent, which warmed the relationship up a bit. Alot of Swedish media had alot of negative things to say about the Oilers after the way he was treated. Things seemed to settle down after the Worlds tho.

Last edited by Valic: 12-01-2009 at 06:29 AM.
Valic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2009, 07:16 AM
Komarov47

I bet with Hemsky injured you would enjoy have a guy like Omark in your farm to step in ! Him and Paajarvi could look awesome next season

Old
12-01-2009, 07:24 AM
OilChuck
Clutch and Crutch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Big Bear View Post
I bet with Hemsky injured you would enjoy have a guy like Omark in your farm to step in ! Him and Paajarvi could look awesome next season
and Eberle....

OilChuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2009, 07:31 AM
rprice92

on both those goals, if he was playing on NHL regulated sized rinks he would have been killed 5 times over

rprice92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2009, 07:41 AM
frag2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valic View Post
He signed a two year contract in Russia but rumour has it that he has an outclause for the NHL after this year.

He left for Russia because the Oilers made it pretty clear he would have a hard time making the NHL and would have to "earn" his spot on the team. (Only so many roster spots for smurfs)

From what we've heard he felt slighted the Oilers never even offered him the AHL max salary as part of his deal so he went to Russia to make some money.

However after his very good World Championships it seems like Kevin Prentegrast essentially kissed and made up with Linus to an extent, which warmed the relationship up a bit. Alot of Swedish media had alot of negative things to say about the Oilers after the way he was treated. Things seemed to settle down after the Worlds tho.
At the rate the team is playing, he doesn't have to "earn", vacancies will be made due to lost bodies and/or waivers hahahah

frag2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2009, 07:53 AM
Alawishis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valic View Post

You have to also factor in the $1.2m the KHL offered him. Which one of us would not also take that deal? It will likely be years before he sees that kind of money in the NHL, and would likely be getting paid AHL money if he had signed here at least to start.

To be honest I wish we could switch Omark for Cogs right now. I really think Omark is going to do great here.

Alawishis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2009, 07:55 AM
oilymion

I believe Omark is still in the mix for a spot on the Swedish olympic team. I hope he makes it, he's a treat to watch, and a performance against the best in the world played in North America might finally silence his detractors who can't see past his size.

The sad part though is that with the current CBA there is no way for the Oilers to offer him a one-way deal (they can only offer an entry-level contract).

If his choice is possibly riding buses in the AHL for a measly $67,500 (the current maximum AHL salary for NHL entry level) or getting guaranteed >$1M (tax-free!) playing in the KHL... why on earth would he leave?

The bright spot is that due to a lack of an agreement with the KHL, the Oil do retain his rights pretty much indefinitely, so if he does decide to come over it will be with Edmonton.

oilymion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2009, 08:09 AM
hemskysuncle

Quote:
Originally Posted by rprice92 View Post
on both those goals, if he was playing on NHL regulated sized rinks he would have been killed 5 times over
I agree. I think he is quite good in the open ice, which means that he would have to play with someone who creates it for him. Imagine how much Hemsky would tear things up on Olympic sized ice for a full season. Most of his turnovers are because he runs out of room. Anyways, he could eb a great replacement for someone like Cogliano or (better yet!) Pouliot and/or Nilsson. I guess we will see next year what happens, buthis great play opens things up for the possibility of moving some of the smurfs without worrying about opening up holes.

hemskysuncle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2009, 08:37 AM
Phaedrus

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemskysuncle View Post
I agree. I think he is quite good in the open ice, which means that he would have to play with someone who creates it for him. Imagine how much Hemsky would tear things up on Olympic sized ice for a full season. Most of his turnovers are because he runs out of room. Anyways, he could eb a great replacement for someone like Cogliano or (better yet!) Pouliot and/or Nilsson. I guess we will see next year what happens, buthis great play opens things up for the possibility of moving some of the smurfs without worrying about opening up holes.
The videos of him are quite impressive - BUT, a person could put a goal scoring video together of Domi, with invigorating music, and someone will claim "I wish we had Domi as a first line player!" (I am not sure why I chose to pick on Domi, but no matter - my point is made). Omark might light up the NHL, but the Oil would need to dump many of the other small(er) players; Gagner, Cogliano, O'Sullivan, Eberle, Omark, Brule, Nilsson - to paraphrase a song (by someone I cannot recall), something's 'gotta' give. For the reality is, 'we' have far too many small players - despite Lowe's vision of the new NHL.

Not to mention that MPS and Omark are both LW'rs... as is 'our' current sensation Penner (albeit Penner has been taking a lot of draws).

Too bad they are all so small, a season (next season) with a new kidline of Omark-Brule-Eberle could be exciting.

Hmmmmmmm.....

Penner Staal () Hemsky - or - Kovalchuk Penner Hemsky
MPS Gagner Jacques
Stone Potulny Stortini
Omark-Brule-Eberle (not really a fourth line per se, but playing fourth line minutes)

Sorry Moreau, Horcoff, etc., there is no longer any room for you.

Phaedrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2009, 09:09 AM
jumptheshark
Give the dog a bone

Quote:

and there is the problem

Omark through his agent has made it clear that spending time on the farm is of no interest of his client and that being in the NHL is. Also, dpending on the source--Omark wants to top level entry of the rookie cap.

Unlike some people on this board I have seen him play live and he reminds me of many small speedsters--he looks good on single events--but over all, he avoids contract, lacks defence skills and when he gets hit--he is useless for the next few shifts.

He reminds me a little of Petr Klima--but Klima was a better player(seen both players play l.ive and not via just the highlights)

jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2009, 10:39 AM
czar99

vCash: 50
I don't mean to be a downer, but he never scores those first two goals on nhl ice, with nhl defenders. I really hope he can translate his obvious sick skillz to the nhl though. just for the record, I am all for going to international ice size in the nhl. Then you would get to see the true skill set of most our players.

czar99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2009, 11:20 AM
Komarov47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alawishis View Post
You have to also factor in the $1.2m the KHL offered him. Which one of us would not also take that deal? It will likely be years before he sees that kind of money in the NHL, and would likely be getting paid AHL money if he had signed here at least to start.

To be honest I wish we could switch Omark for Cogs right now. I really think Omark is going to do great here.
If you look clearly, most of the skilled players or ex-NHLer try to comeback from Russia. Ya know guys are used to travel by plane, and all the north-american comfort. Why Jagr wants to comeback in nhl? Same for Radulov, Perezoghin, Esche.... Maybe they have the money in Russia, but they have to stand the weather... trust me, it's a nightmare

Old
12-01-2009, 11:28 AM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
If you look clearly, most of the skilled players or ex-NHLer try to comeback from Russia. Ya know guys are used to travel by plane, and all the north-american comfort. Why Jagr wants to comeback in nhl? Same for Radulov, Perezoghin, Esche.... Maybe they have the money in Russia, but they have to stand the weather... trust me, it's a nightmare
Oh okay. So they want to come back to the NHL but it won't be with the Oilers.

Reimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2009, 11:40 AM
Tad Mikowsky
Retired

Me thinks he might be the next Schremp

Tad Mikowsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2009, 11:45 AM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowstorm View Post
You could predict that with every prospect and probably have a 70% accuracy.

Old
12-01-2009, 11:47 AM
jumptheshark
Give the dog a bone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowstorm View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reimer View Post
You could predict that with every prospect and probably have a 70% accuracy.

In the case of Omark it might be closer to the truth do to the fact that he is worse in his own zone then Schremp was

jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2009, 01:50 PM
The Head Crusher

vCash: 18821
Send a message via MSN to The Head Crusher

Sorry, but the Magic 8 Ball knows all.

12-01-2009, 01:51 PM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

**** THC.

I heard rumors that he wears an Oil jersey around the streets.

Old
12-01-2009, 02:17 PM
nullmeatbag

A line of Omark-Lander-MPS would be sweet. Unlikely, but sweet.

nullmeatbag is offline   Reply With Quote