HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Handlebar mustaches and hockey...

Closed Thread

Old
12-16-2004, 10:41 PM
Joseph

vCash: 500
Handlebar mustaches and hockey...

Anybody remember the good old days filled with excitment?

Old
12-16-2004, 10:49 PM
chicpea*

Yes, I do. We may've beat boston with my lucky stache, but I certainly didn't get lucky while I was sporting it.

Old
12-16-2004, 10:54 PM
Joseph

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicpea
Yes, I do. We may've beat boston with my lucky stache, but I certainly didn't get lucky while I was sporting it.
So true, it was not a hit with the fiancee.

Old
12-16-2004, 11:24 PM
Joey

Send a message via MSN to Joey
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicpea

:lol :lol :lol

Old
12-16-2004, 11:49 PM
Ross MacLochness

I'm definitely going to be experimenting with this either during my playoffs or exam time.

Old
12-17-2004, 07:07 AM
Stefan_Latulippe

I was looking for a job during that period and I was wearing one. It did not look very good because I dont have a lot of facial hair, even if I am 35, but I was proud to wear it!!!

Old
12-17-2004, 08:22 AM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph
Anybody remember the good old days filled with excitment?
I dunno about excitement exactly. I seem to remember Howie Meeker proving with the telestrator back in '86 that Lanny McDonald scored 25% of his goals because of the stache. They had a really good analysis about how goalies would get distracted by it and defensemen would shy away from it letting Lanny get in the clear more often than he should have. Only 4% were deflections straight off the giant stache.

We finally beat them in '86 because Larry Robinson started going through his stash of tapes from the 70's. The leisure suits and sideburns and staches and big hair and everything that Larry showed them on his videos permanently burned away all fear of McDonald's paltry handlebar. That and Mike McPhee started hiding around corners and jumping out at Roy and the defense with his own stache.

You'll notice that McDonald was pretty much irrelevant by the time '89 came around. Unfortunately, by then, perhaps the Habs were still too focused on stopping the stache, who knows, and the rest of the Flames burned them instead.

Still, it's one of the great little-known moments in Habs history, when Larry became Captain Video for the Habs and led them to the Cup in '86. And if you believe Howie Meeker's analysis and take 25% off Lanny's totals, then his 500 goals and 1000 points became pretty mundane and he probably never makes the Hall of Fame or anything. I believe there's a chapter about it all in "Robinson for the Defense" called "Leisure Suit Larry And The Giant Stache".

Old
12-17-2004, 08:40 AM
mcphee

You know at your wedding when you leave and come back in different clothes ? I came back in a pale green leisure suit. ** One of many times I listened to bad advice]. This has nothing to do with handlebar mustaches and I apologize to Joseph, but confession is good for the soul. Ahhh, feel better already, been carrying around the shame for 27 years.

Old
12-17-2004, 09:22 AM
Poochie_D

true story: at the beginning of the playoffs i decided that this year i wasnt gonna grow mine in but when the habs were down 3-1 in the series to boston i decided we needed all the help we could get. i made a 50 dollar bet with a friend even that the habs would come back lol...

Old
12-17-2004, 09:44 AM
Brisebois

Send a message via AIM to Brisebois
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee
You know at your wedding when you leave and come back in different clothes ? I came back in a pale green leisure suit. ** One of many times I listened to bad advice]. This has nothing to do with handlebar mustaches and I apologize to Joseph, but confession is good for the soul. Ahhh, feel better already, been carrying around the shame for 27 years.

Give a 200$ donation to the synagogue and all is forgiven.

Old
12-17-2004, 10:02 AM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brisebois
Give a 200$ donation to the synagogue and all is forgiven.
I thought priests heard confession. Multi-tasking are we ?

Closed Thread