HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Nov 30: Ovie suspended 2 games for kneeing

Old
12-01-2009, 04:04 PM
Oil Gauge

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeriousBusiness View Post
Both are dirty plays. I don't think there's any denying that OV blatantly stuck his knee out, whether it was a subconscious reaction or not, and should be suspended for it.
Its in an attempt to get his body in front of him. When someone makes a sharp turn like that when your about to hit him and you try to get your body in his new path you naturally lead with your leg, because you have to have your legs under you to make a hit, if you simply throw your upper body in front of him then he's going to nail you because your center of gravity isn't going to be under you.

Thats why he sticks his knee out, to try to make a body check, not to try to knee him. If Ovi had another split second to react it would have been a clean hit because he would have caught him body on body, not knee on knee.

That being said, Ovi was responsible for what happened and should be suspended for it, as he was.

Oil Gauge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2009, 04:05 PM
Mentallydull

vCash: 500
Ovechkin's my favorite player but I agree that was a dirty hit. Do I think he intentionally went out of his way to try and injure Gleason? Nope, not all. I think he was lining up Gleason for a hit, Gleason moved, Ovechkin stuck out his leg in a reactionary way and that's where the knee on knee took place.

I don't think Ovechkin's a dirty player but I think he's getting a little reckless and needs to make better judgement calls.

As much as it pains me to say this, I absolutely agree with a 2 game suspension, hopefully he'll think about what he's doing next time and have better control over his body.

Mentallydull is offline   Reply With Quote