HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Notices

Defensive Depth

Old
11-28-2009, 11:26 AM
Pinkfloyd

vCash: 2283
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidhye View Post
What's your obsession with Ponikarovsky? Maple Leafs need forwards, we don't.
Maple Leafs will be looking to move forwards like Ponikarovsky who are in their last year and about to be a UFA. The only reason why I throw him into these deals is because I'd rather acquire him to replace Clowe than fill that spot from within. If there was a way to acquire White without giving up Ryane Clowe, I might be for it depending on the deal. I just don't believe that the Sharks are going to simply add Ian White to the roster without moving something substantial.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanley cup pleeease View Post
I'd rather just add a defenseman instead of replacing. I'm assuming we're talking about a deadline deal here, so we should have the cap space. I'd rather have 7 NHL defensemen for the playoffs so if someone gets hurt he is replaced by Huskins instead of Joslin or Callahan.
The team can go out and get a cheap veteran at the deadline to do that instead of paying a lot of money for Huskins to ride the pine. If anything, adding Ian White will likely phase out Jason Demers because if Huskins is not dealt in the process, he will be in the lineup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt trick View Post
My thinking as well. I like that we don't have to throw in something extra to lose Huskins and keep Clowe (for now- I still see him being traded before next year).

I'd have no qualms about seeing this:

Marleau-Thornton-Heatley
Clowe-Pavelski-Setoguchi
Malhorta-Nichol-Ortmeyer
McGinn-Mitchell-Ferrerio/McLaren/Staubitz

Boyle-Murray
Vlasic-White
Blake-Demers
Huskins

You could also play all 7 d-man and take turns having the top 6 (and the big three+Setoguchi in particular) fill in with McGinn and Mitchell. That gives us a solid, varied group of defenseman who hold down different roles, and we keep a killer group of forwards.
I don't know what you really expect to trade in order to get Ian White but just because he's in his last year on a cheap deal that will make him an RFA at season's end, doesn't mean he's not going to come with a heavy cost. I understand that Toronto has a lot of defensemen but if Burke was interested in moving him, there are going to be a lot of suitors for him so if this team expects to acquire him, they're going to have to pay a pretty decent price.

Pinkfloyd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2009, 01:44 PM
mikehmb

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to mikehmb
According to TSN, Preissing was put on waivers. He played well in his short time with San Jose, but he makes 2.75/yr. Should we consider picking him up?

mikehmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2009, 01:53 PM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikehmb View Post
According to TSN, Preissing was put on waivers. He played well in his short time with San Jose, but he makes 2.75/yr. Should we consider picking him up?
absolutely not. He's gone sharply downhill since leaving SJ.

"Do you know what "nemesis" means? A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent."

Sorry, I am not taking signature requests at this time.
The Nemesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2009, 02:00 PM
xMARCStheSPOT

Send a message via AIM to xMARCStheSPOT Send a message via MSN to xMARCStheSPOT Send a message via Yahoo to xMARCStheSPOT
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nemesis View Post
absolutely not. He's gone sharply downhill since leaving SJ.
Agreed.

xMARCStheSPOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2009, 05:15 PM
HipCzech
Just win the game

You guys might be on to something with Ian White.

- His cap hit is key
- Most of his points don't come on the PP
- I would hope Clowe returns more than just White

I wanted to go lookup White on behindthenet.ca and it's quite overwhelming for a relaxing Saturday afternoon. Anybody who uses the site want to give me a cheat sheet of the five first numbers to look at for a dman?

HipCzech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2009, 05:38 PM
matt trick

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkfloyd View Post
Maple Leafs will be looking to move forwards like Ponikarovsky who are in their last year and about to be a UFA. The only reason why I throw him into these deals is because I'd rather acquire him to replace Clowe than fill that spot from within. If there was a way to acquire White without giving up Ryane Clowe, I might be for it depending on the deal. I just don't believe that the Sharks are going to simply add Ian White to the roster without moving something substantial.
Agreed, if it requires sending Clowe, I think Poni is a solid enough replacement. I believe McGinn could fill the role, but I would much, much prefer to have the extra depth.

Quote:
I don't know what you really expect to trade in order to get Ian White but just because he's in his last year on a cheap deal that will make him an RFA at season's end, doesn't mean he's not going to come with a heavy cost. I understand that Toronto has a lot of defensemen but if Burke was interested in moving him, there are going to be a lot of suitors for him so if this team expects to acquire him, they're going to have to pay a pretty decent price.
If Doug really wants to keep Clowe a first+ would likely get it done. Now whether you want to pay it or not is another story, but White's cap hit is such that he can be added with virtually no salary going out. If Doug wants to pay for him in futures alone it is possibility, though I do believe we need to re-stock the farm.

matt trick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2009, 07:13 PM
Pinkfloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt trick View Post
If Doug really wants to keep Clowe a first+ would likely get it done. Now whether you want to pay it or not is another story, but White's cap hit is such that he can be added with virtually no salary going out. If Doug wants to pay for him in futures alone it is possibility, though I do believe we need to re-stock the farm.
I just don't think that Burke's intentions in the trade market is to acquire future assets...even now. I think he'll want to improve his team now even if it won't make the playoffs just to get the pick number high on Boston. Plus, a guy like Clowe that is a power forward is a trademark to Burke's roster even in the top six.

White is their #3 right now so while they do have depth on D, they want to improve their deficiency up front to make the team better now rather than acquire future assets.

Old
11-29-2009, 06:22 AM
Le Rosbeef

I like White but I do not like that growth on his face. It would have to be a conditional element to any deal that he has a wet shave...

Le Rosbeef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2009, 05:05 PM
Kitten Mittons

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharkyMcWoo View Post
I like White but I do not like that growth on his face. It would have to be a conditional element to any deal that he has a wet shave...

That stache saved him from getting his face deformed by a skate not too long ago.

Kitten Mittons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2009, 06:05 PM
CBJenga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidhye View Post
That stache saved him from getting his face deformed by a skate not too long ago.
Thought it was a puck, but either way, respect.

CBJenga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2009, 09:16 AM
rban*

Right now, I'd say Sharks need an offensive Dman more so than a stay at home banger. Murray is stay at home, Vlasic is growing into that role.

Boyle OTOH has great offensive skills, but Blake? How good will he be this year with his age? And next year he'll probably be gone... which means his 3 mil should be used to get an offensive Dman.

That's why I wished SJ could've found a way cap-wise to keep you-know-who. By next year, SJ will be looking to use Blake's 3 plus million to find a DMan exactly like Ehrhoff.

rban* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2009, 09:54 AM
SonomaShark
SJ Chokers

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by rban View Post
Right now, I'd say Sharks need an offensive Dman more so than a stay at home banger. Murray is stay at home, Vlasic is growing into that role.

Boyle OTOH has great offensive skills, but Blake? How good will he be this year with his age? And next year he'll probably be gone... which means his 3 mil should be used to get an offensive Dman.

That's why I wished SJ could've found a way cap-wise to keep you-know-who. By next year, SJ will be looking to use Blake's 3 plus million to find a DMan exactly like Ehrhoff.
Please, not exactly like Ehrhoff!
Wanted: One Dman, exactly like Ehrhoff, except that he can hit the net consistently, and isn't worthy of the nickname, "Error". Apply within.

SonomaShark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2009, 01:16 PM
TheBrokenRib

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJfortheCUP View Post
A non-Sharks poster mentioned Clowe+Couture+1st for Kaberle and Stajan. That is something I would do.
We need to stop throwing away our 1st's and Kaberle is a puck mover. If you are looking for a guy to lie down and block a shot, Kaberle is not your man. White would be that person.

TheBrokenRib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2009, 04:28 PM
MXD

According to Team990, the Sharks just acquired D Jay Leach from Montreal, who was picked from the re-entry waivers 3 weeks ago. (hey, at least the cap hit is low).

MXD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2009, 04:39 PM
Brodeur

Quote:
Originally Posted by MXD View Post
According to Team990, the Sharks just acquired D Jay Leach from Montreal, who was picked from the re-entry waivers 3 weeks ago. (hey, at least the cap hit is low).
He was an okay #6 defender during his stint in New Jersey last year. Didn't notice anything particularly awful about him, but as Bill Parcells would say "just a guy."

Brodeur is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2009, 04:41 PM
Graveland
HONE YOUR CRAFT

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodeur View Post
He was an okay #6 defender during his stint in New Jersey last year. Didn't notice anything particularly awful about him, but as Bill Parcells would say "just a guy."
If hes paired with huskins hes going to need to be more than "just a guy". I havent heard much about him, seems like a career AHLer.

Graveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2009, 04:47 PM
Gene Parmesan
Ball-So-Hard-U

he's a big guy who will stick up for his teammates but gets tuned up alot.

Gene Parmesan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2009, 05:38 PM
zombiekopitor
GOALdobin

vCash: 100
If we could get Huskins out of here I would do
Clowe
Huskins
Vesce

for

Van Ryn
White
Stempniak

Van Ryn though he never plays would be very useful come playoff time, I think this would make both teams better, I choose Stempniak over Pono because he has lower value but is faster, and I hate watching Clowe trying to keep with the rest of the guys...idk how much faster Pono is

zombiekopitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2009, 06:43 PM
Pinkfloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthBaySharksFan View Post
Please, not exactly like Ehrhoff!
Wanted: One Dman, exactly like Ehrhoff, except that he can hit the net consistently, and isn't worthy of the nickname, "Error". Apply within.
We might as well trade Vlasic then too because he misses just as much but since he doesn't have anything of note on his shot, he's not noticed like Ehrhoff was.

It's sort of disappointing that Ehrhoff gets this treatment and Vlasic doesn't.

Old
12-01-2009, 06:57 PM
StalockSuperfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoner View Post
If we could get Huskins out of here I would do
Clowe
Huskins
Vesce

for

Van Ryn
White
Stempniak

Van Ryn though he never plays would be very useful come playoff time, I think this would make both teams better, I choose Stempniak over Pono because he has lower value but is faster, and I hate watching Clowe trying to keep with the rest of the guys...idk how much faster Pono is
Van Ryn's season is over. Possibly his career.

StalockSuperfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2009, 08:41 PM
HipCzech
Just win the game

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkfloyd View Post
We might as well trade Vlasic then too because he misses just as much but since he doesn't have anything of note on his shot, he's not noticed like Ehrhoff was.

It's sort of disappointing that Ehrhoff gets this treatment and Vlasic doesn't.
Oh I'm noticing. I didn't like hearing the comments during, I think it was Shark Byte, when the players where asked something like who is the most independent player and a lot of the answers were something like Vlasic marches to the beat to his own drum. Not sure what it's going to take to get Vlasic to raise his intensity.

HipCzech is offline   Reply With Quote