HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Boston Bruins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2009/10 Fantasy Hockey Thread

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
09-30-2009, 03:10 PM
  #76
Joseph LaMonica
Registered User
 
Joseph LaMonica's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Lynnfield, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 656
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Joseph LaMonica
Quote:
Originally Posted by billbruins72 View Post
Thanks! I get that remark a lot about my avatar. My dog is a funny girl.

So how come your commish left out PIM? IMO, it makes you think more about how you draft. Without PIM, there are a lot of defensemen that are useless. It also makes you think more about what type of forwards you want to have.
He said something to the effect of "I don't think it accurately represents a player's skill level."

I can see it both ways. A player racking up penalties is playing hard and causing grief for the other team, getting in fights defending his teammates and hopefully gaining momentum, etc. etc. etc.

On the other hand, if an undisciplined player is taking a bunch of stupid and careless minors, the fantasy owner benefits while the player is doing his team a disservice and putting them on the PK.

This being my first time playing I'll reserve judgement I guess.

Joseph LaMonica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2009, 03:25 PM
  #77
billbruins72
Registered User
 
billbruins72's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Taunton, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 332
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph LaMonica View Post
He said something to the effect of "I don't think it accurately represents a player's skill level."

I can see it both ways. A player racking up penalties is playing hard and causing grief for the other team, getting in fights defending his teammates and hopefully gaining momentum, etc. etc. etc.

On the other hand, if an undisciplined player is taking a bunch of stupid and careless minors, the fantasy owner benefits while the player is doing his team a disservice and putting them on the PK.

This being my first time playing I'll reserve judgement I guess.
I can see his point in theory. In practice, it's nonsense though. Nobody takes a player that is unskilled and just takes penalties. They'll take a player that puts up points and gets his nose dirty (earning PIMs). Or maybe a defenseman that doesn't get a lot of points but has a decent +/- and also gets some PIMs. Without PIMs, the only defensemen worth taking are the offensive defensemen. If you're going to do that, you might as well just go strictly with forwards.

Just my opinion. You should try another league sometime that uses PIMs so you can see the difference. I think it makes things more balanced.

billbruins72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2009, 03:30 PM
  #78
Joseph LaMonica
Registered User
 
Joseph LaMonica's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Lynnfield, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 656
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Joseph LaMonica
Quote:
Originally Posted by billbruins72 View Post
I can see his point in theory. In practice, it's nonsense though. Nobody takes a player that is unskilled and just takes penalties. They'll take a player that puts up points and gets his nose dirty (earning PIMs). Or maybe a defenseman that doesn't get a lot of points but has a decent +/- and also gets some PIMs. Without PIMs, the only defensemen worth taking are the offensive defensemen. If you're going to do that, you might as well just go strictly with forwards.

Just my opinion. You should try another league sometime that uses PIMs so you can see the difference. I think it makes things more balanced.
Yeah, maybe I'll see how this goes and maybe do a more traditional league next year. The only reason I'm even playing is because this guy asked me to join his league since he knows I'm a hockey fan.

Joseph LaMonica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2009, 03:33 PM
  #79
billbruins72
Registered User
 
billbruins72's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Taunton, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 332
vCash: 500
Fantasy leagues are a lot of fun. They get you to follow more than just your favorite team.

billbruins72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2009, 03:39 PM
  #80
Joseph LaMonica
Registered User
 
Joseph LaMonica's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Lynnfield, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 656
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Joseph LaMonica
Quote:
Originally Posted by billbruins72 View Post
Fantasy leagues are a lot of fun. They get you to follow more than just your favorite team.
I've played baseball and football in the past, and that's exactly why I typically DON'T like it. I'd find myself each week rooting a little more for the teams and players I hate.

That's why my team is so unbalanced. I only picked players from Boston, Vancouver, Nashville, Calgary, LA, Florida, and Minnesota. Those are all teams I like or at least am neutral towards and I'll enjoy following them. If I had picked any Habs, Rags, Penguins, Redwings, Sabres, Devils, Leafs, or Senators I probably would get fed up and not finish the season. I think I'll enjoy it though.

Joseph LaMonica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2009, 08:51 PM
  #81
Joseph LaMonica
Registered User
 
Joseph LaMonica's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Lynnfield, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 656
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Joseph LaMonica
I've decided to play Mark Recchi and bench Blake Wheeler. I know we're all expecting big things from Wheels, but it wouldn't shock me if him and/or Krejci, and/or Ryder got off to a slow start.

My train of thought is that Recchi will have time on the PP, he's consistent, and he'll be playing with Bergeron. Out of my other Wingers, I'm not going to play Wheeler in favor of Iginla, Sedin (Daniel), Burrows (on the Sedin line), or Brad Boyes. I was thinking of maybe sitting Backes since they're in Sweden playing Detroit, but it looks like he'll be centering their top line giving me (hopefully) offensive production AND faceoffs as a fantasy winger.

Does this seem like a sound strategy? Again this is my first go around with this. Would anyone do anything differently?

Joseph LaMonica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2009, 10:00 PM
  #82
Hnidy Hnight
Registered User
 
Hnidy Hnight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: North of Boston, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 4,999
vCash: 500
Just finished my draft. 10 team league. thoughts?


C Mike Richards
C Jason Spezza
LW Zach Parise
LW Dany Heatley
RW Bobby Ryan
RW Jason Pominville
D Shea Weber
D Andrei Markov
D Brian Rafalski
BN Nathan Horton
BN Jordan Staal
BN David Perron

G Steve Mason
G Semyon Varlamov
BN Jonas Hiller

Hnidy Hnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2009, 07:49 AM
  #83
billbruins72
Registered User
 
billbruins72's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Taunton, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 332
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph LaMonica View Post
I've decided to play Mark Recchi and bench Blake Wheeler. I know we're all expecting big things from Wheels, but it wouldn't shock me if him and/or Krejci, and/or Ryder got off to a slow start.

My train of thought is that Recchi will have time on the PP, he's consistent, and he'll be playing with Bergeron. Out of my other Wingers, I'm not going to play Wheeler in favor of Iginla, Sedin (Daniel), Burrows (on the Sedin line), or Brad Boyes. I was thinking of maybe sitting Backes since they're in Sweden playing Detroit, but it looks like he'll be centering their top line giving me (hopefully) offensive production AND faceoffs as a fantasy winger.

Does this seem like a sound strategy? Again this is my first go around with this. Would anyone do anything differently?
That makes sense to me. I'd definitely start those other guys before Wheeler. As for Wheeler vs Recchi, I can see your logic. Wheeler wasn't so hot in preseason, was he? And I remember Ryder taking a while to find his scoring touch last season. And Krejci is recovering from surgery. He looks like he's going to play but he didn't play in the preseason. It's quite reasonable to think that this line my start out a little slow.


Oh and Hnidy Hnight, it looks to me like you've got a solid lineup.

billbruins72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2009, 08:34 PM
  #84
shaynexbruin
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 88
vCash: 500
i am down!
PM me a link to the league?

shaynexbruin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2009, 10:26 AM
  #85
Ram*
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 144
vCash: 500
What is the current lineup?

Thanks!

Ram* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2009, 04:44 PM
  #86
rydes73*
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 70
vCash: 500
Lucic - Savard - Sturm
Wheeler - Krejci - Ryder
Recchi - Bergeron - Kobasew
Thornton - Begin - Bitz

Chara - Morris
Ference - Wideman (Hunwick last game)
Stuart - Hunwick (Boychuk last game)

Thomas
Rask

rydes73* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2009, 09:19 PM
  #87
Dhutton52
 
Dhutton52's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Ma
Country: United States
Posts: 397
vCash: 500
Should I drop wheeler? I feel like he's killing me right now

Dhutton52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2009, 08:01 AM
  #88
billbruins72
Registered User
 
billbruins72's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Taunton, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 332
vCash: 500
I've been debating the same thing but I'll be kicking myself if he turns it around.

billbruins72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2009, 04:14 PM
  #89
TwineTickler
TheUltimateBruin
 
TwineTickler's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Sandy Hook, CT
Country: United States
Posts: 21,498
vCash: 500
I benched Pavelec today who saved 50 out of 51 shots for a win in Ottawa. What an idiot. Silver lining is that I had Tuukka in for his shutout, and I'm dominating this week... but still, I'm pissed, ha

TwineTickler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2009, 09:46 PM
  #90
WickedBruinsGirl
Registered User
 
WickedBruinsGirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Country: Italy
Posts: 14,158
vCash: 500
I almost dropped Wheeler, but didn't. I'm debating about Chara lately.

Started Rask after I heard he was starting during warm-ups. Thank goodness for free iPhone apps for fantasy league. Updated as I watched.

WickedBruinsGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2009, 12:09 AM
  #91
TwineTickler
TheUltimateBruin
 
TwineTickler's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Sandy Hook, CT
Country: United States
Posts: 21,498
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WickedBruinsGirl View Post
I almost dropped Wheeler, but didn't. I'm debating about Chara lately.

Started Rask after I heard he was starting during warm-ups. Thank goodness for free iPhone apps for fantasy league. Updated as I watched.
Definitely don't drop Chara.

TwineTickler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2009, 10:43 AM
  #92
flannelman
Regular Season Mode.
 
flannelman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: NH
Country: Ireland
Posts: 10,825
vCash: 50
A little help, please:

Keeper League, typical Yahoo Scoring Stats

I'd be giving up:

Lucic
2011 1st
Hanzal
Crombeen
Franson

I'd be getting:

Ryan Getzlaf

My team has no 'Super-Stars' and desperately needs assists.

Am I overpaying?

Thanks Much,

Trav

flannelman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2009, 10:23 PM
  #93
Jarb
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 71
vCash: 500
Sobotka ...

Hi all !!!
Can you tell me if Sobotka is good this year ?

Can you see him on first or second line one day ?

Jarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2009, 10:45 PM
  #94
DOGSTARMAN
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 7,971
vCash: 500
He has been okay but I have been disappointed.

I really liked his play at the end of two seasons ago. He has not been as impressive or consistent since then.

This year, he has only 3 points (1 goal) in 17 games and is -3. Not very good. He has been getting time in the NHL and has not done a lot with it. In a couple of games he has looked good and confident. But he does not seem able to keep that up for several games in a row.

He has a lot of fans in Boston. He's only 22. Maybe someday he will become more important on the team. I do not see that being likely because he has not been able to show too much. Boston has some good players now on the top 2 lines and they have some good prospects and they have a lot of good draft picks. The competition will be strong. Can Sobotka beat out some of those players? I would be quite surprised.

I think he would get a much better chance with a team like Edmonton or Carolina and some others. Those teams have some question marks and his style of play would help them with their needs. A weaker team might give him a bigger role and be happy with his edgy play.

We shall see.

DOGSTARMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2009, 11:03 PM
  #95
Rancid McGoiter
Lieks Boxxy
 
Rancid McGoiter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Country: United States
Posts: 3,342
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Rancid McGoiter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarb View Post
Can you tell me if Sobotka is good this year ?

Can you see him on first or second line one day ?
No. No, and no. He can play. It's pretty obvious...just not happening here, for whatever reason.

Rancid McGoiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2009, 11:11 PM
  #96
dafoomie
Eat Mor Chikin
 
dafoomie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Boston
Country: United States
Posts: 14,129
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to dafoomie
I don't know how you can ask someone to be consistent when they aren't in the lineup consistently. He had put together a string of good games before Savard and Lucic came back.

He's ranged from OK to very good this year in Boston, he's done more than enough to earn an NHL job. He'll never be a top 6 guy at this level but he knows what his role is.

dafoomie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2009, 11:14 PM
  #97
hubby1746
Registered User
 
hubby1746's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Brookline, MA
Posts: 2,000
vCash: 500
he has really good hands and a good shot. he just needs time

hubby1746 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2009, 01:33 AM
  #98
topcat986*
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,028
vCash: 500
Sell High and trade him for a needed dman with same promise. It is the smart move to make with way Bruins are solid at center foryears to come.

topcat986* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2009, 01:35 AM
  #99
Coach Parker
Stanley Cup Champion
 
Coach Parker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Vancouver, B.C.
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,824
vCash: 500
I'd really like to see him moved to Nashville for Blum. He would get great minutes there and flourish.

Coach Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2009, 05:05 AM
  #100
Don Cherry*
 
Don Cherry*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Vermont
Country: United States
Posts: 6,100
vCash: 500
I was ridiculed from every direction for saying he was nothing but crap. He has now been given his chance to prove himself and all he has done is prove me right. (again)

Don Cherry* is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:23 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.