HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Brooks Orpik wanted to be a Ranger

Old
12-01-2009, 11:24 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

vCash: 500
Brooks Orpik wanted to be a Ranger

Quote:
One of Glen Sather’s most glaring free agent blunders was on display at the Garden in last night’s 5-2 defeat, and he was wearing No. 44 for the Penguins, bullying Marian Gaborik, making certain that Rangers who dared encroach on Marc-Andre Fleury’s crease would pay a price.

That would be Brooks Orpik, the mean-edged, physical defenseman who had quietly let it be known that he wanted to come to New York after repeatedly clashing with then-head coach Michael Therrien in 2007-08, and who waited two full days for a contract offer from Sather that never materialized upon becoming a free agent on July 1, 2008.

Snubbed apparently because the GM was too busy angling to sign the not-even one-and-done Dimitri Kalinin after previously investing $11.5M annually in free agent defensemen Wade Redden and Michal Rozsival, Orpik re-upped with Pittsburgh for six years at an annual $3.75M cap hit.
http://www.nypost.com/p/rangers_coul...eCeg60z2oPVrzM

LB has some other items

Torts pissed off the players by embarrassing Ringo on Saturday night. Ringo is Lisin's nickname.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2009, 11:26 PM
Carl Hagelins Flow
Flow Status: AMAZING

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post

LB has some other items

Torts pissed off the players by embarrassing Ringo on Saturday night. Ringo is Lisin's nickname.

Why can't this franchise use its gigantic wallets to get the best minds in Hockey to scout and advise moron Sather who and not who to get... sigh

Carl Hagelins Flow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2009, 11:28 PM
Ih8theislanders
Full-kit ****ers

I thought it was reported that Sather made an offer? God Id love him with us.

Ih8theislanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2009, 11:30 PM
beastly115

Torts is starting to get ridiculous with these benchings. It's gotten to the point where he's alienating players. It's no longer a punishment or sending a message. I feel like the players roll their eyes when they're benched/scratched because he does it so much.

It's only a matter of time before he loses the team... if he hasn't already.

beastly115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2009, 11:31 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy View Post
Oh boo-hoo Larry.

Man talk about digging up regrets from the past.
Larry loves Orpik. He wanted the Rangers to get him for a while.

Old
12-01-2009, 11:33 PM
mullichicken25

Quote:

LB has some other items

we know nothing of the terms that Orpik wanted to come to new york

and the bolded part is nothing short of pure speculation

this article is brooks sensationalism at its best (or worst?)

i love how so much of journalism is "just write anything, who gives a **** about details and credibility"

mullichicken25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2009, 11:33 PM
Jag68Sid87
Nothing Else Maattas

What I remember of the story, and perhaps digging up some of our old threads on the Pens board can help find the exact situation that went down, Orpik was all but ready to leave for "another team" when he received a few calls from Crosby and a few of the other guys on the team that pleaded with Orpik to stay in Pittsburgh. There were rumors that the other team was San Jose, but most of us on the board believed it was the Rangers...probably because of all of the rumored interest on Orpik's part for joining the Blueshirts.

That was the summer Shero was trying to re-sign Hossa. Had Hossa re-signed, I think Orpik would have been sacrificed...and he probably would have landed either in New York or San Jose--depending on what rumor you believe.

July 1 is a total domino effect every year.

Jag68Sid87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2009, 11:36 PM
Dagoon44

Send a message via AIM to Dagoon44 Send a message via Yahoo to Dagoon44
I Hate to say I told you so but I did, Torts is a bully and a liar. He is outdated and the NHL has passed him by. The Rangers are in a free fall and missing the playoff. WE have a GM in a time warp and a coach that is a a-hole this is worse then it ever was under Renney

Dagoon44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2009, 11:45 PM
Ozz

Well I bet he's glad he stayed at least one more year, anyway...

Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2009, 11:50 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by mullichicken25 View Post

i love how so much of journalism is "just write anything, who gives a **** about details and credibility"
Brooks has been the Rangers beat writer since 1996. He is around that team everyday. He was in Pittsburgh for the Saturday game. You don't think Larry hasn't talked to some of the players regarding Lisin or the players haven't discussed what happened with Lisin amongst themselves with the media hearing about it. Dave Maloney and Joe Micheletti were taking shots at the way the team was handled in that game and they supposedly aren't allowed to criticize the Rangers or that's the fan perception.

Old
12-01-2009, 11:51 PM
Tender Rip
Learning from Scuds?

This is a silly story from Larry Brooks. As much as I enjoy blame Sather commentary, this one is groundless.

Orpik is on record saying he refused more money from the Rangers (and Buffalo, it is thought) to sign with the Pens. I believe it is common knowledge here also, that Rangers were bidders.
Larry has since then been of the mind that it was unbelievable that Rangers didn't get this UFA. As if the perks for Orpik in re-signing with a team stacked on talent that he'd just gone to the cup final with weren't obvious. The team that drafted him, even.

Tender Rip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2009, 11:53 PM
Zil

Because what Sather really needed to do after clogging up two d spots with really big contracts was clog up another one. This is really, really, really old news.

Zil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2009, 11:53 PM
Kel Varnsen
Below: Nash's Heart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagoon44 View Post
I Hate to say I told you so but I did, Torts is a bully and a liar. He is outdated and the NHL has passed him by. The Rangers are in a free fall and missing the playoff. WE have a GM in a time warp and a coach that is a a-hole this is worse then it ever was under Renney
Wow, he won the cup what four years ago. Is that really enough time for the game to pass him by and become outdated? Remember how Renney won the cup a few years back? Yeah neither do I.

Kel Varnsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2009, 11:56 PM
silverfish
KEVIN!

Quote:
Originally Posted by genericnyrusername View Post
Wow, he won the cup what four years ago. Is that really enough time for the game to pass him by and become outdated? Remember how Renney won the cup a few years back? Yeah neither do I.
He won it pre-lockout, the game is so different.

silverfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2009, 11:57 PM
dedalus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy View Post
Oh boo-hoo Larry.

Man talk about digging up regrets from the past.
This team has needed a player like Orpick. Rather than having one, the player we've needed helped sweep us in a home-and-home this week.

Sounds like a regret of the present to me.

dedalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2009, 11:58 PM
Back From Cally

talk about brooks adding insult to injury. not only did we not get orpik, who i'd kill to see on this team, but we decided to go out and sign the defensive stud that was dmitri kalinin .

Back From Cally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2009, 12:00 AM
In The Flesh

Not signing Orpik was a mistake.

I love Orpik.

Hindsights 20/20

In The Flesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2009, 12:02 AM
Kel Varnsen
Below: Nash's Heart

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverfish View Post
He won it pre-lockout, the game is so different.
and then the next two years after he put up 90+ pt teams and playoff births. It's not like he was lost afterwords. Plus if you look at his system it's really more suited for post-lockout hockey. It's all on speed and pressure, not size and trapping.

Kel Varnsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2009, 12:02 AM
mullichicken25

Quote:
Brooks has been the Rangers beat writer since 1996. He is around that team everyday. He was in Pittsburgh for the Saturday game. You don't think Larry hasn't talked to some of the players regarding Lisin or the players haven't discussed what happened with Lisin amongst themselves with the media hearing about it. Dave Maloney and Joe Micheletti were taking shots at the way the team was handled in that game and they supposedly aren't allowed to criticize the Rangers or that's the fan perception.
im sure they have...but you dont think a sensationalist like brooks would exagerate, or take things out of context and proportion for the purpose of selling newspapers?

its speculation that has no source, no quote, and no backing other than that "brooks was in pittsburgh that night"

Old
12-02-2009, 12:05 AM
dedalus

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMessiah1194 View Post
Hindsights 20/20
But it's not hindsight if you were saying during the summer, "We desperately need a guy like this."

That's foresight, foresight that Sather either lacked or couldn't/wouldn't operate on.

dedalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2009, 12:06 AM
McMonster

At that time I remember Sather offering a contract to Orpik and he turned it down for less money to stay in Pittsburgh. And after he re-signed in Pittsburgh, that is when Glen gave an extension to Rozsival...

I could be wrong but I'm not sure how accurate this article by LB is.

McMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2009, 12:14 AM
RothmanHockey

Send a message via AIM to RothmanHockey
Quote:

LB has some other items

Hold on. Read the article again, then read your last statement.

Brooks doesn't say Tortorella pissed off the team by benching Lisin, he said he MAY have pissed off the team. Big difference. Read it again:

Quote:
Knowing that Lisin is an extremely popular player within the room who, not at all unimportantly, had played through a stretch of games with a broken bone in his instep a few weeks ago—some might call it a broken foot—it’s not at all a stretch to suggest the move was not appreciated by No. 81’s teammates.

RothmanHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2009, 12:17 AM
RothmanHockey

Send a message via AIM to RothmanHockey
Quote:
Originally Posted by genericnyrusername View Post
and then the next two years after he put up 90+ pt teams and playoff births. It's not like he was lost afterwords. Plus if you look at his system it's really more suited for post-lockout hockey. It's all on speed and pressure, not size and trapping.
The only reason that person is saying hockey has passed Torts by is that we have a group of players that, quite frankly, can't cut it.

Give Torts a team with some secondary scoring, and you'll see how good of a coach he can be.

RothmanHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2009, 12:18 AM
OverTheCap

Quote:
Originally Posted by mullichicken25 View Post

Actually, I've read elsewhere that Lisin is a favorite among players and that Torts was sending a message to the team by benching him. And this was stated prior to Brooks' article from today.

I don't think Uncle Larry is making this one up.

OverTheCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2009, 12:23 AM
mullichicken25

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverTheCap View Post
Actually, I've read elsewhere that Lisin is a favorite among players and that Torts was sending a message to the team by benching him. And this was stated prior to Brooks' article from today.

I don't think Uncle Larry is making this one up.
im sure that he is a favorite...seems like a good kid

but where was this article you read?

i highly doubt that's the case and until i see something other than wild speculation, im going to assume its not true

honestly, i cant see professional athletes pissing and moaning because they didnt totally agree with the coach benching their buddy