HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Mike Ribeiro

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-01-2009, 07:21 PM
  #26
Fitzy
All Is Well
 
Fitzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 19,822
vCash: 50
When I look at Brad Richards, I see 7.8 million dollars that could be saved in an attempt to get Kovalchuk. And that saddens.

I also see another center with a 7+ mil price tag who rarely if ever bests 25 goals. I legitimately dont see why we would trade assets for a guy payed at more than market price. Savard is better than Richards for christs sake.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2009, 07:29 PM
  #27
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: USA
Country: United States
Posts: 15,193
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy View Post
When I look at Brad Richards, I see 7.8 million dollars that could be saved in an attempt to get Kovalchuk. And that saddens.

I also see another center with a 7+ mil price tag who rarely if ever bests 25 goals. I legitimately dont see why we would trade assets for a guy payed at more than market price. Savard is better than Richards for christs sake.
Savard is not better then Richards. Not even close.

Savard has only been VERY successful in the post-lockout era.

Richards was successful in both the dead-puck era AND the post-lockout.

He's a hell of a hockey player, in every area of the game.

On a team that featured Lecavalier, St. Louis, and Prospal, among others Richards was the best player on the team.


Also, with the way Atlanta is constructed now and going forward, it's doubtful that Kovalchuk leaves Atlanta. He won't be available at the deadline with the team as good as it is now. And if they do go as far as they are capable of, he will not leave a place he has been very open about loving.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2009, 07:32 PM
  #28
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: USA
Country: United States
Posts: 15,193
vCash: 500
Anyway... it's all moot anyway. This was only a suggestion.

Sather will not be able to break up this group, AGAIN.

He's dug us into a hole with this roster. It's a pretty terrible roster.


Our hope is with the prospects.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2009, 07:34 PM
  #29
Bird Law
Daisy's back.
 
Bird Law's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Country Roads
Country: United States
Posts: 71,404
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Dubinsky, McDonagh/Sanguinetti, Lisin, 2nd in 2010 for Roy might get it close to being done.

Saves the Sabres a lot of money, gives them what should be a 40-50 point center in Dubinsky, a top prospect, a mediocre young player with potential, and a relatively high pick.

__________________
"Of course giving Sather cap space is like giving teenagers whiskey and car keys." - SBOB
"Watching Sather build a team is like watching a blind man with no fingers trying to put together an elaborate puzzle." - Shadowtron
"Used to be only Twinkies and cockroaches could survive a nuke. I'd add Habs to that. I'm convinced the CH stands for Club du Hypocrisy." - Gee Wally
Bird Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2009, 07:36 PM
  #30
Fitzy
All Is Well
 
Fitzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 19,822
vCash: 50
Right, but, since the lockout, the ppg is in Savard's favor. And hes making like 3 mil less. Richards to me represents a bad contract, while better than Drury's but I think with Drury and potentially either Redden or Rozy left after this year we need to get more out of that 7.8 million than Brad Richards can bring (And certainly not parting with valuable prospects like Bourque or Sauer for him). Just IMO, I feel the same way about Vinny btw, we have more prospect depth at center than at wing.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2009, 08:07 PM
  #31
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..
 
offdacrossbar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: da cuse
Country: Tuvalu
Posts: 8,054
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
And?

Dubinsky and Callahan are so overrated around here.

If you can get Richards with Dubinsky and Callahan, i do it, and run away laughing.
i was talking about ribeiro not richards. i love mike richards but you and i know a package for him would require alot more talent than dubi and cally.

we would need to say bye bye to grachev or mdz cause thats who they would be looking for.

and dont for a moment think i wouldnt move both of those 3rd liners- dubi and cally. i would. its guys like mdz, grachev and anisimov i would rather keep.


the board would implode though.

offdacrossbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2009, 08:10 PM
  #32
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..
 
offdacrossbar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: da cuse
Country: Tuvalu
Posts: 8,054
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
Dubinsky, McDonagh/Sanguinetti, Lisin, 2nd in 2010 for Roy might get it close to being done.

Saves the Sabres a lot of money, gives them what should be a 40-50 point center in Dubinsky, a top prospect, a mediocre young player with potential, and a relatively high pick.
geez... im thinking bobby sangs has potential too but mediocre...

offdacrossbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2009, 08:20 PM
  #33
Barbara Underhill
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuke
 
Barbara Underhill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Montana
Country: United States
Posts: 13,111
vCash: 373
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
Dubinsky, McDonagh/Sanguinetti, Lisin, 2nd in 2010 for Roy might get it close to being done.

Saves the Sabres a lot of money, gives them what should be a 40-50 point center in Dubinsky, a top prospect, a mediocre young player with potential, and a relatively high pick.
I think

Dubinsky, Higgins, Sangs gets it done in that situation and saves the Rangers a small amount it's marginal savings though like 100k which isn't enough to break the deal in Buffalo's eyes either.

A player I think might be available is David Perron in St. Louis.

Barbara Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2009, 08:28 PM
  #34
CM Lundqvist
Best In The World
 
CM Lundqvist's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Long Island
Country: United States
Posts: 8,454
vCash: 500
LOL @ Savard not even being close to Richards. That's a good joke, man. I definitely got a laugh out of that one.

1. Savard has outscored Richards post-lockout, EVERY year, and 3 out of the past 4 seasons by a sizable margin as well.

2. Richards is a better defensive center, but even his defense is a bit overrated, and since coming to Boston, Savard's defensive game has improved big time.

3. When has Richards scored 30 goals? Savard and Richards score the same mount of goals around per year, except Savard has a ****-ton more of assists every year.

4. Richards won the Stanley Cup and the Conn Smythe on a stacked team that also had the NHL's MVP and Art Ross winner that year, and a goaltender who set shutout records in the postseason that year. Let's not act like he dragged the team on his back to the cup.

2005-06 TB NHL 82 23 68 91
2006-07 TB NHL 82 25 45 70
2007-08 DAL NHL 74 20 42 62
2008-09 DAL NHL 56 16 32 48

2005-06 ATL NHL 82 28 69 97
2006-07 BOS NHL 82 22 74 96
2007-08 BOS NHL 74 15 63 78
2008-09 BOS NHL 82 25 63 88

Savard has out scored Richards by 89 points in 4 seasons post lockout, where the argument between the two is most relevant. Even if you wanted to put in his injury season, he's still outscored Richards by 49 points in the prior 3 seasons, and Richards was scoring at a less than point per game clip while Savard was over a point per game player.

To say the Richards is a better player at this point is ridiculous, and now Savard easily has the best contract in the NHL. He's getting Nathan Horton/Scott Hartnell money to put up those numbers... What a steal for Boston to sign him to that extension.

CM Lundqvist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2009, 08:57 PM
  #35
alves
Registered User
 
alves's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Country: United States
Posts: 581
vCash: 500
Savard has averaged over a point per game since the lockout, while Richards is averaging a bit less than a point. What a steal by Boston.

Only thing good about Richards over Savard is that he's 3 years younger.

Richards is playing well though this season, 32 points in 25 games. He's on pace for a 100 point season.

alves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2009, 09:26 PM
  #36
Bird Law
Daisy's back.
 
Bird Law's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Country Roads
Country: United States
Posts: 71,404
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
Originally Posted by offdacrossbar View Post
geez... im thinking bobby sangs has potential too but mediocre...
I knew you'd have some stupid comment about Lisin (which is why I included him just to see what you'd blabber on about).

Bird Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2009, 09:28 PM
  #37
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: USA
Country: United States
Posts: 15,193
vCash: 500
Despite what camp you are in, RE: Richards vs. Savard, it doesn't matter, only one of them would be available at this point; Richards.

Savard was resigned for 7 years! For a 32 year old that's crazy.

Richards' contract is up after next season. So, looking at what Savard got, you could renegotiate with him for a similar length and yearly cap hit. And he's 3 years younger. So he would be in his mid-30's when his contract expires.

Richards is exactly the kind of player the Rangers need.

Look to move Rozsival or Redden in the Richards deal, and then move the other one later on. And let Drury's contract run out.

Richards/Gaborik would be dominant.


Of course, the ideal situation would be to get Kovalchuk, so we can have the one-two punch. But looking at the situation in Atlanta now, it's a very long shot in the dark to hope that Kovalchuk leaves Atlanta, or that Atlanta makes him available.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2009, 11:43 PM
  #38
CM Lundqvist
Best In The World
 
CM Lundqvist's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Long Island
Country: United States
Posts: 8,454
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
Despite what camp you are in, RE: Richards vs. Savard, it doesn't matter, only one of them would be available at this point; Richards.
I doubt Richards is available right now with the way he's been playing.

Quote:
Savard was resigned for 7 years! For a 32 year old that's crazy.
Could be worse, like Philly giving a 34 year old Chris Pronger who's had more than his fair share of injuries over the course of his career a 7 year extension that's going under NHL investigation.

Quote:
Richards' contract is up after next season. So, looking at what Savard got, you could renegotiate with him for a similar length and yearly cap hit. And he's 3 years younger. So he would be in his mid-30's when his contract expires.
Ok, so that's when we go after Richards then, after next season, when "Captain Cash" Chris Dreary's contract comes off the books.

Quote:
Richards is exactly the kind of player the Rangers need.
Exactly? Not really, the Rangers need a big power center like Getzlaf. They need size and scoring up front.

Quote:
Look to move Rozsival or Redden in the Richards deal, and then move the other one later on. And let Drury's contract run out.
Keep dreaming...

Quote:
Richards/Gaborik would be dominant.
Maybe.

Quote:
Of course, the ideal situation would be to get Kovalchuk, so we can have the one-two punch. But looking at the situation in Atlanta now, it's a very long shot in the dark to hope that Kovalchuk leaves Atlanta, or that Atlanta makes him available.
It's not really a long shot. If the guy wants to stay in Atlanta so bad, then he'd already have been signed.

CM Lundqvist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2009, 11:57 PM
  #39
Barbara Underhill
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuke
 
Barbara Underhill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Montana
Country: United States
Posts: 13,111
vCash: 373
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldshot View Post
Exactly? Not really, the Rangers need a big power center like Getzlaf. They need size and scoring up front.
Exactly what we need, Getzlaf with Gaborik would be an awesome tandem. A good top line should have three things,

1. A sniper
2. A playmaker
3. A power forward

We have a really good sniper, and a decent playmaker this organization lacks good power forwards.

Barbara Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2009, 11:59 PM
  #40
NYR Viper
Moderator
 
NYR Viper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: PA
Country: United States
Posts: 27,961
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Failure By Design View Post
Exactly what we need, Getzlaf with Gaborik would be an awesome tandem. A good top line should have three things,

1. A sniper
2. A playmaker
3. A power forward

We have a really good sniper, and a decent playmaker this organization lacks good power forwards.
Depends on what you think a "power forward" is.

Grachev, Werek, Weise, Byers, Dupont all project o play like power-forward but only 2 have top-6 potential and only a few of them bring that snarl you love to see combined with the size.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2009, 12:09 AM
  #41
Barbara Underhill
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuke
 
Barbara Underhill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Montana
Country: United States
Posts: 13,111
vCash: 373
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyviper87 View Post
Depends on what you think a "power forward" is.

Grachev, Werek, Weise, Byers, Dupont all project o play like power-forward but only 2 have top-6 potential and only a few of them bring that snarl you love to see combined with the size.
Should have clarified the NHL roster lacks a good power forward. I know we have some in the system but they are probably a few years off and a really effective power forward takes a little longer to develop and use his size effectively.

Barbara Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2009, 12:12 AM
  #42
NYR Viper
Moderator
 
NYR Viper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: PA
Country: United States
Posts: 27,961
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Failure By Design View Post
Should have clarified the NHL roster lacks a good power forward. I know we have some in the system but they are probably a few years off and a really effective power forward takes a little longer to develop and use his size effectively.
Totally agree. I am hoping the Rangers can get lucky and grab a true "power forward" in the same mold as a Kassian or Lucic in the coming years. I think that is lacking and adds a whole new dimension to any team.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2009, 12:18 AM
  #43
Barbara Underhill
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuke
 
Barbara Underhill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Montana
Country: United States
Posts: 13,111
vCash: 373
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyviper87 View Post
Totally agree. I am hoping the Rangers can get lucky and grab a true "power forward" in the same mold as a Kassian or Lucic in the coming years. I think that is lacking and adds a whole new dimension to any team.
It really does, size is the hardest thing to contain that is why a player like Getzlaf, Nash, and E. Staal are so valuable.

Barbara Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2009, 12:19 AM
  #44
NYR Viper
Moderator
 
NYR Viper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: PA
Country: United States
Posts: 27,961
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Failure By Design View Post
It really does, size is the hardest thing to contain that is why a player like Getzlaf, Nash, and E. Staal are so valuable.
And so rare.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2009, 12:47 AM
  #45
Inferno
HFB Partner
 
Inferno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Atlanta, GA
Country: United States
Posts: 19,778
vCash: 500
Savard is a very very very good center, as is richards, i still dont think either are elite.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2009, 01:13 AM
  #46
Richter35
Registered User
 
Richter35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,357
vCash: 500
dubinsky + roszival + doyle + sauer

for

Richards + skrastins

prob underpay on our side but I don't know what else we could give them short of a pile of 1st rders, gotta free up cap space to take on those two deals. Richards is only on the books one more year so I feel like he wouldn't fetch as much as if he were signed for longer.

Richter35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2009, 01:14 AM
  #47
FLYLine24*
 
FLYLine24*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: NY
Country: United States
Posts: 29,102
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
Savard is a very very very good center, as is richards, i still dont think either are elite.
Savard is much closer then Richards though when it comes to elite.


Savard >>>>> richards anyday!

Savard - 369 points in 331 games
Richards - 303 points in 319 games

Since the lockout....and an extra 66 points is a lot in my books. We have enough of those "awesome" 2 way centers like Drury so the those "tangibles" dont matter to me.


Last edited by FLYLine24*: 12-02-2009 at 01:20 AM.
FLYLine24* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2009, 01:24 AM
  #48
Inferno
HFB Partner
 
Inferno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Atlanta, GA
Country: United States
Posts: 19,778
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine24 View Post
Savard is much closer then Richards though when it comes to elite.


Savard >>>>> richards anyday!

Savard - 369 points in 331 games
Richards - 303 points in 319 games

Since the lockout....and an extra 66 points is a lot in my books. We have enough of those "awesome" 2 way centers like Drury so the those "tangibles" dont matter to me.
frankly, im not sure i would want either....a guy like Eric Staal is someone i would be targeting, granted there just isnt a match there salary wise, but you get my point.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2009, 01:27 AM
  #49
FLYLine24*
 
FLYLine24*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: NY
Country: United States
Posts: 29,102
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
frankly, im not sure i would want either....a guy like Eric Staal is someone i would be targeting, granted there just isnt a match there salary wise, but you get my point.
IMO its all the same really...we aren't getting any of those 3....the price would be too high..people thinking giving up Dubi and a nice draft pick and B level prospect will do it..but it wont.


You want one of those 3 guys? Then say goodbye to Grachev, Stepan, Staal, or Del Zotto. Not every GM is a moron. (when i say you i dont mean "you" i mean a casual fan who thinks they know what is going on with the team/system/prospect etc)

FLYLine24* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2009, 01:33 AM
  #50
levski87
Registered User
 
levski87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Brooklyn
Country: United States
Posts: 3,980
vCash: 500
**** it, lets trade the whole team. Woohoooo

levski87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:11 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.