HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Ethan Moreau and the myth

Old
12-02-2009, 02:24 AM
Giant Moo

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
Thank you for the digging kind sir.

Interesting little sample and with a mean age of 28 I see. Nobody younger than 23. Few if any in the top 30 that broke into the NHL after the rule changes.
Not really convinced here, yet.

Most of the players getting the most time are older. Better players also get more playing time, and this list has lots of those. The more time on the nice, the more time to take penalties.

Conversely, has anyone looked at the bottom tier of penalty takers in the league, and looked to see what their age is? Adjust for playing time, naturally.

Is this group taking different kinds of penalties than the rest of the league? If we were to partition all the players into N groups in ascending age, is there any strong correlation between the different groups and what kinds of penalties they are taking?

Giant Moo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2009, 02:36 AM
nullterm

Quote:
Thank you for the digging kind sir.

Interesting little sample and with a mean age of 28 I see. Nobody younger than 23. Few if any in the top 30 that broke into the NHL after the rule changes.
This thread is suddenly making me feel old.

nullterm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2009, 08:31 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giant Moo View Post
Not really convinced here, yet.

Most of the players getting the most time are older. Better players also get more playing time, and this list has lots of those. The more time on the nice, the more time to take penalties.
Its interesting though that the cohort are valuable players that would likely get a lot of minutes. That jumped out at me too. Its not that the players in the list are simply older. Its that they started to play in the NHL and established their NHL game prior to rule changes taking effect.

Quote:
Conversely, has anyone looked at the bottom tier of penalty takers in the league, and looked to see what their age is? Adjust for playing time, naturally.
That would be interesting as well and I'll take a look at that. Other control variables would be minutes played as you say but hard to correct that for NHL STATS afaik

Quote:
Is this group taking different kinds of penalties than the rest of the league? If we were to partition all the players into N groups in ascending age, is there any strong correlation between the different groups and what kinds of penalties they are taking?
These are all good questions for a research study. The limitations of NHL stats is you would have to pull data from all the individual game charts.

Unless somebody is aware of some good NHL stats engines or scripts otherwise thats not easily done.

This is one more for the stats guys.

Last edited by Replacement: 12-02-2009 at 08:42 AM.
Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2009, 08:41 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fan 4 Life View Post
Ya I found that interesting too, but some things need to be considered. What is the mean average age in the NHL? How many guys are currently playing that broke in and are regulars after the lock out compared to those playing that came before the lock out. Too late for me to do much more digging as I'm off to bed, but they are things to wonder about.
The mean age is directly comparable actually. I was a little surprised at that. I remember in the past where the mean age of skaters was 25, or 26 in precap decades and that kind of stuck in my mind. What normally occurs in capped leagues is that mean age tends to decrease. So I expected that would have occurred. Oddly mean age if anything has increased to 27-28 yrs.

http://www.quanthockey.com/TS/TS_AverageAge.php

(click on "data for the charts" if interested)

In anycase the vast majority of the sample broke into the NHL pre-rule changes which is more what I had in mind.

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2009, 11:27 AM
JBell84

Quote:
The mean age is directly comparable actually. I was a little surprised at that. I remember in the past where the mean age of skaters was 25, or 26 in precap decades and that kind of stuck in my mind. What normally occurs in capped leagues is that mean age tends to decrease. So I expected that would have occurred. Oddly mean age if anything has increased to 27-28 yrs.

http://www.quanthockey.com/TS/TS_AverageAge.php

(click on "data for the charts" if interested)

In anycase the vast majority of the sample broke into the NHL pre-rule changes which is more what I had in mind.
There's more reason to keep a younger player out of the league longer when their value is higher in their mid 20s and the contract is easier to keep low with less league experience.

How do the NHL rules on U/R free agency stack up against other cap leagues? I can personally say I don't have the foggiest, can you enlighten me?

JBell84 is offline   Reply With Quote