HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Rebound Control for Goalies

Old
11-28-2009, 10:38 AM
delled

vCash: 500
Rebound Control for Goalies

Hi,
I've been watching Gustavsson for a while and notice he gives up some bad rebounds. From a technical aspect, how does a goalie improve on rebounds? Is it a natural skill or does it have to do with a conscious effort to direct the puck?

I find it interesting because when I think of a goalie's task, its just to stop the puck from going in, but this adds another level of complexity, its like you're making 2 decisions in a split second time frame right?
1) Stop puck
2) Prevent the other team from capitalizing from the rebound. I almost find that to be an impossible decion in a split second. I guess its positioning? Physics of how you let the puck hit you? I'm clueless.

Never played goalie, so I'd like some insights from coaches/goaltenders?

delled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2009, 11:32 AM
CaptBrannigan

I do two things to help with rebounds: Positioning of my body/gear, like you said and also trying to make an 'active' save. What I mean is instead of just letting the puck bounce off my pads, stick, blocker, etc try to make an effort to add your own force behind the save. By kicking , pushing/punching your blocker, tilting your stick you can direct the rebounds a little better.

Stop puck is always the most important task, obviously. Sometimes there is nothing you can do.

CaptBrannigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2009, 12:57 PM
Rickety Cricket

A very important aspect that I employ is trying to
use my stick to make the save and direct the shots
to the corner.

Rickety Cricket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2009, 01:17 PM
Hockeyfan68

I for one hope the goalies I play with do NOT learn that heh.

Hockeyfan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2009, 12:29 AM
Moses Doughty
LA's offense offends

I haven't seen any Leafs action, ot The Monster at least. But being a goalie who used to have this problem, it's all about directing the puck. It really isn't hard to angle your pad a little bit so it will bounce off of me into the corners or away from attackers or to my D and give more room up for a shot to go in when it wouldn't otherwise. If he's letting the puck hit him it will make a lot more rebounds. And I've seen that some pads give up more rebounds than others. A flatter pad like your RBK ot Itech to me seems to result in more rebounds, while with a rolled pad like a Vaugn or some KoHos has less. Some goalie coaching should fix it quick. And if Allaire's the man it will be fixed.

BTW I have Vaughn 7500s. Very good rebound control. I also had Eagles for barely any time but rebound control is crud. Needless to say I wont wear flat pads again.

Last edited by Moses Doughty: 12-02-2009 at 09:40 PM.
Moses Doughty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2009, 01:44 AM
Ragss

I agree with Foley. To add to his post about certain pads, check out the video on this page. Though I think Hiller is the only goalie still with Kohos.

http://www.goaliemonkey.com/koho-goa...s-700-pro.html

Also, its sorta like cradling a pass. Obviously you can't cradle with your legs, but you'll see if a goalie doesn't see the shot coming and it hits him in the chest the puck will go flying, unlike when he does a butterfly cradle.

Ragss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2009, 08:47 AM
OneMoreAstronaut
Reduce chainsaw size

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickety Cricket View Post
A very important aspect that I employ is trying to
use my stick to make the save and direct the shots
to the corner.
Goaltending is hard
Rebounds can be a problem
Direct shots away.

OneMoreAstronaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2009, 10:35 AM
Frank Drebin
Everyone Overpayment

vCash: 735
Low shots

It takes time, and confidence in your abilities. Technically it's as easy as directing the puck where you want. Easier said than done. When I was a younger goalie the most important thing was just getting in front of the puck. As I get older and see more pucks I'm getting better at directing rebounds.

Overreacting on low shots is the biggest problem with rebound control. If you stay in a tight butterfly, the natural position of the pads is to go to the corner. Sometimes if I have enough time and it's a clear shot I'll actually turn my body and kick it to the corner. If you overreact and "kick" your leg out, the pad will most likely be square to the puck and shoot the rebound out to the scoring area. This comes with proper positioning and angles.

Think of handling two shots the same way:

Of course this exagerated but lets say Luongo is too deep in his net, he is forced to kick his leg out to get infront of the puck, while Kipper is in better position and can direct the puck with his pads.
Use of stick is the most important as well. Anything you can get your stick on you can easily direct it out of danger.

It's like any aspect of goaltending, usually the better ones are better at it...but it all comes with experience and confidence.

As for high shots and absorbing them in the chest, it's all about a goalies reflexes and how well he's seeing the puck. It's the pads that take the most work.

Overall, it's a result of everthing that it takes to be a goalie: Reflexes, skating, positioning, size, confidence, experience and natural talent.

Last edited by Frank Drebin: 11-30-2009 at 10:41 AM.
Frank Drebin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2009, 03:59 PM
CanadaBacon

I have to disagree, the only "bad" rebounds i have noticed Gusty really give up is on cross crease plays.

imo, Gusty has fantastic rebound control.

But i guess watching Toskala for so many games might make it more of an illusion.

CanadaBacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2009, 04:26 PM
delled

appreciate the insights, thanks!

delled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2009, 02:30 PM
SJGoalie32

It takes practice.

In the competitive youth teams we used to get practice time and coaching where we'd drill on this stuff. 20 pucks shot right at the blocker, where you angle your wrist on the save to bank it into the corner. 20 shots at each leg pad to work on using each leg and your stick to guide it into the corner. 20 shots at the glove hand to work on catching pucks cleanly. 20 pucks into the mid-section to work on catching and smothering pucks.

Eventually, with enough practice, it just becomes a natural part of your muscle memory.

Although, once one gets beyond competitive/instructional youth teams and into adult rec leagues, the time and money available for goalie-specific practice drills disappears.

SJGoalie32 is offline   Reply With Quote