HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Grachev Makes Russia WJC team, Rangers Won't Allow Him To Leave, Russia to Appeal

View Poll Results: If you were Rangers GM what would you do?
I would let him go to the WJCs 82 77.36%
I would not allow him to go to the WJCs 24 22.64%
Voters: 106. You may not vote on this poll

Old
12-02-2009, 03:14 PM
FLYLine24*

vCash: 500
Grachev Makes Russia WJC team, Rangers Won't Allow Him To Leave, Russia to Appeal

Might as well start its own thread.

They listed Grachev on their extended Roster despite knowing the Rangers said they wouldn't let him leave (obviously he would be a shoe in on the final roster - Roster here

Rangers though won't allow him to go - Article

Russia will appeal the decision:
Quote:
Russian Hockey Federation plans to appeal to the IIHF for explanation.
Obviously they won't win any type of appeal since he's under Ranger contract.

I would have liked him to go, me and RB got into a discussion a few weeks back in the Pack thread. I think 2 weeks playing against the top kids in a big tournament would do more good for his development then 6 AHL games in the middle of the season (which he would miss if he went the the tournament).

He's in a bit of a slump now in the AHL with just 1 goal in the last 9, maybe it would help his confidence a bit also if he dominating a bit.

Don't forget the Rangers allowed Anisimov to go play in the WJCs when he was a 19 year old in the AHL.

FLYLine24* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2009, 03:16 PM
levski87

Chance in a lifetime, let the kid go.

levski87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2009, 03:18 PM
Levitate

It's not a chance in a lifetime, he played last year.

Also not sure what Russia thinks it can accomplish by appealing to the IIHF other than look like a bunch of ******. Not that the Rangers don't kind of look like ****** too, but hey

Levitate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2009, 03:19 PM
Fitzy
Relative to what?

vCash: 50
Id like to see him play, but if management wants him to stay, so be it I guess.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2009, 03:20 PM
levski87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
It's not a chance in a lifetime, he played last year.

Also not sure what Russia thinks it can accomplish by appealing to the IIHF other than look like a bunch of ******. Not that the Rangers don't kind of look like ****** too, but hey
So? The kid is from Russia, I'm sure playing in the WJC and representing his country means ALOT more to him than the AHL.

Old
12-02-2009, 03:21 PM
AXN

What is the big deal? Let him play in the WJC. He will only miss a couple of games.

AXN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2009, 03:21 PM
Levitate

the article about them saying he can't go is all kinds of weird. the Russian hockey federation or whatever says that the Rangers faxed them something saying that they don't want Grachev to go because he will be appearing in "official games" during that time...what, AHL games? NHL games?

Seems presumptuous to say that he'll be playing in NHL games, but if the Rangers really believe that, then it makes quite a bit of sense that they don't want to let him go.

However I imagine it's more that they want him to play int he AHL

Old
12-02-2009, 03:22 PM
Trxjw
Bored.

Screw that noise. He doesn't need to be there. He needs to focus on getting his game adjusted to the professional level. Bowling over a bunch of 18 year olds isn't going to do that.

I'm not concerned about the kids production, but I am concerned about the reports that he's not giving his all on every shift.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2009, 03:22 PM
ryan41
LETS GO RANGERS

i can see the management side of things, he is rangers property and under contract, so they have every right to do so....but ill keep my fingers crossed this does not discourage or annoy grachev, we don't want any tension between him and the rangers obviously

ryan41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2009, 03:24 PM
GarretJoseph

He's under contract and if they say no, then no. I don't care either way but I do know Sather wont be bullied into anything.

GarretJoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2009, 03:25 PM
D713B

I'd prefer that he stay and play in the AHL but if this going to cause even the slightest rift between Evgeny and the Rangers organization then let him go play in the tournament. Missing six AHL games isn't the worst thing in the world for his development especially if it gives the kid a sense of pride and confidence.

D713B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2009, 03:25 PM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by levski87 View Post
So? The kid is from Russia, I'm sure playing in the WJC and representing his country means ALOT more to him than the AHL.
so if he already played in it before it can't be the chance of a lifetime.

Old
12-02-2009, 03:28 PM
Jonas1235

Look what happened to Oscar Moeller last year.

Jonas1235 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2009, 03:29 PM
D713B

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
so if he already played in it before it can't be the chance of a lifetime.
No need to debate semantics. His point is that it's rare and not something that people take for granted.

D713B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2009, 03:33 PM
pld459666

Let the kid go.

Not sure what the problem is.

He's as likely to get hurt there as he is playing a meaningless regular season game in Hartford.

I think it could do wonders for his confidence AND build some good will with the player and team management.

pld459666 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2009, 03:37 PM
Levitate

I'm pretty apathetic about either choice. I think the WJC is a kids game and Grachev is trying to be a pro; also that it's terribly overrated as a development/measuring stick for players. It's basically a chance for young guys to show off to scouts and improve their draft stock, and after that, it's just for fun. This is the type of tournament where Tom Pyatt was one of the best players for team Canada one year.

But at the same time, probably wouldn't hurt if he goes.

Old
12-02-2009, 03:46 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
I tend to want him to stay here because of reservations I have when Cherepanov was headhunted during the Canada VS Russia thing a while back. I would rather him hone his game in the minors against men than against some kids that might want to head hunt in order to make themselves known by taking out a "star" player.

"Okay, Joel. You've had your fun. Give your brother his pads back." - Trxjw
Bird Law is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2009, 03:50 PM
levski87

Quote:
Originally Posted by D713B View Post
No need to debate semantics. His point is that it's rare and not something that people take for granted.
Thank You.

Old
12-02-2009, 03:54 PM
BKBlackRanger
My Glove******Instagram

hmmmmm i smell moves with the big club, but it's not he's dominating from reports

BKBlackRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2009, 04:01 PM
ColonialsHockey10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
I tend to want him to stay here because of reservations I have when Cherepanov was headhunted during the Canada VS Russia thing a while back. I would rather him hone his game in the minors against men than against some kids that might want to head hunt in order to make themselves known by taking out a "star" player.
Agreed, seems like Canada is always starting problems in these tournaments. Oscar Moller's injury is also a great example of why he shouldn't go. The only reason I wouldn't mind if he went was for selfish reasons like watching him play. But it's better for his future to play against men as opposed to kids his age.

ColonialsHockey10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2009, 04:06 PM
LifeIsLoud

Grachev playing at the WJrs would be like a man playing amongst boys. Seriously. He's playing pro hockey with men now. I think playing in the AHL is more beneficial to his development. I can see why the Rangers won't release him. Plus, Evgeny seems to have a good head on him, I don't think it would cause any rifts in the org'n.

LifeIsLoud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2009, 04:10 PM
Jim Morrison

Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsLoud View Post
Grachev playing at the WJrs would be like a man playing amongst boys. Seriously. He's playing pro hockey with men now. I think playing in the AHL is more beneficial to his development. I can see why the Rangers won't release him. Plus, Evgeny seems to have a good head on him, I don't think it would cause any rifts in the org'n.
So is the entire Swedish team

Jim Morrison is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2009, 04:10 PM
Muscle Bob

Russians aren't going to appeal in sense of protesting, they are going to appeal for explanation, i.e. ask if it's legal.

Muscle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2009, 04:11 PM
bobbop
Henrik's Pop

I think players benefit from being on the big stage. No matter if they struggle or dominate, they understand what it takes to dominate and win. And no matter what you think of the WJC, there's no debate that it is a big stage. A few days away from Hartford wun't hurt his professional development and in fact a good WJC might accelerate his growth.

I'm not worried about injuries but I too share concern over the long term tension with young players, especially Russians. The importance of reprersenting thier country seems ultra important to them. (i.e. Ovechkin says he'll be in 2014 Olympics even if he violates his NHL contract) Hard to see much downside in letting him go.

bobbop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2009, 04:12 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muscle Bob View Post
Russians aren't going to appeal in sense of protesting, they are going to appeal for explanation, i.e. ask if it's legal.
Uh, how is it not?

Do the Rangers or Russia have Grachev under contract? Take a wild guess about that one.

Bird Law is online now   Reply With Quote