HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Grachev Makes Russia WJC team, Rangers Won't Allow Him To Leave, Russia to Appeal

View Poll Results: If you were Rangers GM what would you do?
I would let him go to the WJCs 82 77.36%
I would not allow him to go to the WJCs 24 22.64%
Voters: 106. You may not vote on this poll

Old
12-02-2009, 06:58 PM
King of cool
The winning hat

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
How does Grachev playing for Russia benefit the Rangers?
If that helps him to get some confidence back, I see a huge benefit for the Rangers. The guy is struggling in Hartford. Give him that Christmas break, that can't hurt him. I sincerely prefer that solution than a desperate call up with the big club in the actual circumstances.

Where's the benefit for us to rush him at the upper level to play bottom six minutes with struggling teammates, when he has a legit shot at a medal playing on the first line with Filatov & co? That's a no brainer for me. It looks like he's punished or something, I don't get it. Kreider, Stepan, Bourque, DZ (hopefully), Horak and probably others have the green light. Why not Grachev?

EDIT: Ok, he's playing with pros now, a comparison with other prospects isn't really relevant but afaik, he's not NHL ready, not yet. Let's not rush him that's all.

Last edited by King of cool: 12-02-2009 at 07:04 PM.
King of cool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2009, 07:40 PM
darko

Meh if he wants to play for his country Rangers should let him. I dont see any harm to it.

darko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2009, 08:01 PM
Zil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lundqvist4Vezina View Post

He is a Russian.
Did you forget this: ? So's Ovechkin.

Zil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2009, 08:05 PM
gluvhand

Quote:
The IIHF has no authority in this matter. There is no transfer agreement in place mainly thanks to the Russians who refuse to sign the agreement.
Which leads to this question. How many other teams are stopping kids from playing for Russia specifically? Could this be a political stance more than anything else?

gluvhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2009, 08:15 PM
Ih8theislanders
Full-kit ****ers

Just maybe a moves coming, thus him getting a call-up?

Ih8theislanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2009, 08:21 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine24 View Post
I would have liked him to go, me and RB got into a discussion a few weeks back in the Pack thread. I think 2 weeks playing against the top kids in a big tournament would do more good for his development then 6 AHL games in the middle of the season (which he would miss if he went the the tournament).

He's in a bit of a slump now in the AHL with just 1 goal in the last 9, maybe it would help his confidence a bit also if he dominating a bit.

Don't forget the Rangers allowed Anisimov to go play in the WJCs when he was a 19 year old in the AHL.
I agree. It would've been useful experience for him. And the Hartford third liners would get a chance to play a little more, especially on the PP, showing what they are worth.

Beacon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2009, 10:50 PM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

the WJC is a glorified prospects game for pre-draftees jockying for high positioning and bigger entry-level pay days.

It's useless for post-draftees. The Comp in the AHL is 10 times tougher. Didnt Daigle play in 3 WJC's?

This mini problem can get resolved if they just promote him.

10 mins of ice time over 2 games will do more for the kid than that stupid tournament. I would understand if it was IN Russia, but the games are in Canada. Big deal.

GWOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2009, 11:50 PM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

Thought this would be a good poll....so i've added one

FLYLine24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2009, 06:31 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
The appeal of the World Junior Championship is punctuated by the often overflowing excitement of its youthful participants. Fans frequently share in that emotion, not necessarily because of national allegiances, but because a draft pick of their favorite NHL team is playing a prominent role in the tournament.

But a recent NHL transaction hammers home how perilous putting faith in a big WJC can be. The Montreal Canadiens, on Wednesday, traded Kyle Chipchura to the Anaheim Ducks for a fourth round pick. Chipchura was captain of the 2006 Canadian team that won world junior gold. Though never projected as a big offensive producer in the NHL, Chipchura scored four goals and five points in six WJC games that year after being chosen to wear the ‘C’ from a sea of worthy candidates.

The goalie on that golden team, Justin Pogge, also became a member of the Ducks last summer after failing to gain a foothold in the Toronto Maple Leafs organization. Pogge, playing for that powerhouse Canadian squad, went 6-0 with three shutouts and a 1.00 goals-against average.
http://www.thehockeynews.com/article...-letdowns.html

The WJC is a good tournament for Chris Kreider who is a raw 18 year old kid. Instead of spending three weeks not playing hockey(BC is off from December 12-January 1),Kreider will participate in the 3 day camp in Grand Forks,ND and if he makes the team he will be playing until at least January 4.

Wisconsin is also off from December 12-January 2.

Grachev was too good for the CHL so sending him back there wasn't going to help his development.He was scoring goals with two opposing players draped on his back.Grachev would power right through them like they were flies. The AHL is the perfect league for him. It's a big step(Clark said it again last week). He can't power his way through the players in the AHL. Sending him to the WJC is not going to help Grachev's development. Grachev goes to the WJC and plays well there only to continue to struggle when he returns to the AHL. That is not going to help his confidence. It will only get him into bad habits.

AA and Cherepanov didn't play well in the 2008 WJC. They were better in the 2007 WJC.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2009, 07:41 AM
darrenturcotte#8

Is it possible this is a Cherepanov related swing at Russia?

darrenturcotte#8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2009, 08:44 AM
Levitate

Quote:
I love this article for the point it makes...like I said, the WJC is for undrafted players looking to make a name for themselves and get scouts attention, and after that, it's just for fun. It's pointless to try to judge a players true NHL potential from a tournament like this, yet people try and try and try

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2009, 09:38 AM
LetsGoBlueshirts

Quote:
Originally Posted by D713B View Post
Put as much value into this as you want but the Rangers benefit from having a happy and content prospect versus having a disgruntled one.

The only way I'd want Grachev to play in this tournament is if he wanted to, otherwise I agree, he benefits more developmentally from staying the course in the 'A'.
This is the way I see it. If there was an option in the poll for "Let Grachev do what he wants" that is what I would vote for.

I think there are advantages to both paths, let the kid do what he wants.

LetsGoBlueshirts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2009, 10:22 AM
t3hg00se

Send a message via AIM to t3hg00se
No. Why put him at harm? He'll be a target.

t3hg00se is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2009, 10:40 AM
Synergy27

There is a big difference between Cherepanov and Grachev - size. These kids can target Grachev all they want (something I really question will happen anyway) and it won't really matter. There's a reason we call the kid The Battleship. He can handle himself against teenagers.

I want him to play just because I love watching the WJCs and he'll make it more entertaining for me. I don't put too much stock into the whole rift forming argument. I'm sure the kid will be loyal to the paycheck. Remember, Ovechkin is making his statements about rebelling and playing in the '14 Olympics from under a mountain of already earned contract and endorsement cash. The poorer among us can't afford to be so bold.

Synergy27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2009, 10:45 AM
BrandNewDream

His objective is to make the NHL, and by the sounds of it from Torts, ASAP. The AHL is the best vehicle for that.

BrandNewDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2009, 10:48 AM
Jersey Girl

I agree with what someone said earlier. You guys worry - and overthink things - way too much.

Jersey Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2009, 10:51 AM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
Imagine a grown man with nothing better to do than pick on kids.
I don't think you're playing in the AHL, SBOB

Bird Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2009, 12:22 PM
satrabyk

i think its nuts they are holding him back. If thats the case why not put him into our line-up, i mean its ridicilous. Ranger fans in mey estimation would rather see him on the big stage of the WJ rather than a few American league games.

satrabyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2009, 01:55 PM
squishy

Quote:
How does Grachev playing for Russia benefit the Rangers?
Grachev playing for Russia benefits Grachev. And that benefits the Rangers.

squishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2009, 02:14 PM
levski87

Quote:
Originally Posted by squishy View Post
Grachev playing for Russia benefits Grachev. And that benefits the Rangers.
Some won't understand it around here.

levski87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2009, 01:08 AM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by levski87 View Post
Some won't understand it around here.
I agree he should go for the reasons stated....but honestly..i can see why posters and our GM wouldnt...so I don't really mind him not going either.

FLYLine24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2009, 11:31 AM
Vitto79

Quote:
Originally Posted by darko View Post
Meh if he wants to play for his country Rangers should let him. I dont see any harm to it.
agreed. do they think he won't come back once he gets to russia or something

Grachev should be called up by the end of the year. This team is going no whrere but atleast they have some young chips to grow on

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2009, 11:34 AM
asparkoflife

They really need to let this kid play if he wants to. Why would you want to cause dissent among a top prospect. Especially European players feel a sense of pride to play for their country. Let him do so if he wants.

asparkoflife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2009, 01:44 PM
Ozolinsh_27

Quote:
http://www.thehockeynews.com/article...-letdowns.html

Grachev was too good for the CHL so sending him back there wasn't going to help his development.He was scoring goals with two opposing players draped on his back. Grachev would power right through them like they were flies.
I think it is of great benefit for Grachev to go to WJCs.

The difference is that the World Juniors is that it can be said that most of the 16-19 year olds playing in the tournament are further along in their development than a percentage of the 16-20 year olds playing in the CHL.

I don't know how his icetime is playing in the AHL, but in my opinion it is good to learn how to be relied upon in your own age group - you can say he's probably already learned a chunk of it in the CHL last season. On an international level - if he goes there and thrives and comes back with more confidence, then it is worth the time away he would spend from the Ranger organization.

If he goes there and ends up injured? Its a risk they'd take, injuries are bound to happen at some point - look at Andrei Loktionov from the Kings/Monachs, who suffered a significant injury playing his first NHL game last week. If Grachev does get hurt, I would rather it be from international competition where he's playing a bigger role than a game where he's a 3rd liner or getting a total of 5-10 minutes icetime a game.

Ozolinsh_27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2009, 01:47 PM
Ozolinsh_27

On the other hand, I do see that the Rangers are paying him a salary and want him to be available immediately in the event they need to recall him.

I just hope that's the reason they're keeping him and not some weird we're still mad at Russia's handling of Cherepanov thing.

Ozolinsh_27 is offline   Reply With Quote