HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Notices

Show some love for Scott Nichol

Old
12-02-2009, 08:36 PM
Cheechoo and Chong

vCash: 500
Show some love for Scott Nichol

I dunno, but I feel like it's about time that this guy gets a thread of his own. I hated Scott Nichol when he skated for teams like Nashville, but I'll swallow my pride and say he's been a very good addition to the Sharks this year.

Sure, he only has somewhere around 4 points so far, but he's a role player whose contributions can't be valued with metrics. He's a grit/energy player and a bit of a hard-nosed/disturber type, providing the kind of lift which every team needs, most especially the Sharks. I never see the guy take a shift off, he's always flying at 110%, moving his skates and throwing his weight around. He doesn't appear to fall into the typical Sharks pattern of lack of energy/skating/passion that we've seen time and time again. I like that. Its what the Sharks need.

I think he's made a difference on the bottom 2 lines for the Sharks and I believe (keeping my fingers crossed) that is going to pay big dividends come playoff time.

Cheechoo and Chong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2009, 08:40 PM
Kitten Mittons

Scott Nichol > Rich Peverley.

Kitten Mittons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2009, 08:40 PM
Lee Van Cleef*

He's been much better than I expected, although I did expect him to be a very good bottom 6 player already, so I think that says a lot about how well he has played here.

Lee Van Cleef* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2009, 08:41 PM
Sharks14*

Nichol >>>>>>>>>>> Goc

Sharks14* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2009, 08:45 PM
bigwillie

Send a message via AIM to bigwillie
I'm still convinced that acquiring Heatley will ultimately prove to be a major mistake, but I think DW did an incredible job rebuilding the bottom six this offseason. Nichol, Ortmeyer, and Malhotra are the kind of heart and soul players that can provide a ton of spark in the postseason, and the development of McLaren, Staubitz, and especially McGinn have given this team much needed depth.

Goc, Plihal, etc. were all soulless plugs who were decent enough at playing competent defensive hockey, but provided little offensive or emotional benefits.

bigwillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2009, 08:56 PM
sharkbite3
Don't Go Joe

I ****ing love Scott Nichol. He's been great for us in every way.

sharkbite3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2009, 08:57 PM
Cheechoo and Chong

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigwillie View Post
I'm still convinced that acquiring Heatley will ultimately prove to be a major mistake, but I think DW did an incredible job rebuilding the bottom six this offseason. Nichol, Ortmeyer, and Malhotra are the kind of heart and soul players that can provide a ton of spark in the postseason, and the development of McLaren, Staubitz, and especially McGinn have given this team much needed depth.

Goc, Plihal, etc. were all soulless plugs who were decent enough at playing competent defensive hockey, but provided little offensive or emotional benefits.
I definitely agree with your second point, but I'm not sure how Michalek + Cheechoo for Heatley is a "major mistake". Both of those guys didn't do much for us in the last playoffs, and while I'd love to still have them, I believe Heatley's presence alone makes up for the loss of talent. Even if Heatley isn't scoring (he's currently 8th in scoring, BTW), he provides opportunities for other guys to score because he demands attention from the other team. If Heatley can make that kind of a difference in the playoffs (admittedly, a big "if") then the Sharks will have benefited from the trade.

Old
12-02-2009, 08:59 PM
mechel

Quote:
Originally Posted by 22sharks22 View Post
Nichol >>>>>>>>>>> Goc
Damn right!!!

mechel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2009, 09:06 PM
5H4RK5

I will add my 2 cents and he is now worth way more than a nickel. Nearing dime status. Great job Nickol.

5H4RK5 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2009, 09:14 PM
Cheechoo and Chong

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5H4RK5 View Post
I will add my 2 cents and he is now worth way more than a nickel. Nearing dime status. Great job Nickol.
LOL.

Old
12-02-2009, 09:16 PM
Danish Pastry
this is dream!

luv me some scotty...

Danish Pastry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2009, 09:24 PM
sharkbite3
Don't Go Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5H4RK5 View Post
You callin Scotty a dime piece?

sharkbite3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2009, 09:24 PM
sjshark91

vCash: 2810
I thought he'd be more physical. I am aware that he leads the team in hits. But that's not hard to do.

sjshark91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2009, 09:31 PM
PennyPylon

Scooter! One of my favorite players this season. Good pickup DW.

PennyPylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2009, 09:33 PM
Graveland
HONE YOUR CRAFT

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidhye View Post
This.

Graveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2009, 10:00 PM
CBJenga

CBJenga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2009, 10:06 PM
CJL182

I'll admit I wasn't enthusiastic about signing him in the offseason. It seemed like a swap with Goc at the time, but damn what a pick up. I've always tried to show 3rd/4th liners some love because they don't get as much as the big name guys, and he's quickly becoming one of my favorite players along with Jed. If we go far in the playoffs and we resign him, I might just get a sweater with his name on it.

CJL182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2009, 10:20 PM
skilks
This is nightmare

If we don't sign this guy to a multi-year deal at the end of the year I will be pissed.

This guy is just what we needed. If I get a second jersey, I would get a Nichol one. No lies.

skilks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2009, 10:21 PM
VP and GM
Havlat Sucks!

definitely an upgrade over Goc. He's as good or better at face offs, as good or better speed, better on the PK and just more aggressive of a player overall. With respect to Goc he appeared to be more of a skill player w/o enough skill.

VP and GM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2009, 10:28 PM
matt trick

Quote:
Originally Posted by skilk View Post
If we don't sign this guy to a multi-year deal at the end of the year I will be pissed.

This guy is just what we needed. If I get a second jersey, I would get a Nichol one. No lies.
You want to sign a 35 year old (at the time he signs a new deal) to a multi-year deal. Not many 35+ players sign multi years at all, but it may have never happened with a 4th liner who plays an extremely abrasive style. Add in his injury history, and this is IMO, most unwise. I really like him too, but a 1 year 750k deal ought to do the trick once again. I'd go 850k, but I don't think he is worth much more than that to a cap strapped team.

Sorry to be a Debbie Downer folks, there is no doubt he is awesome.

matt trick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2009, 10:32 PM
Flicktron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidhye View Post
Love it.

Flicktron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2009, 10:52 PM
WineShark
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJL182 View Post
I'll admit I wasn't enthusiastic about signing him in the offseason. It seemed like a swap with Goc at the time, but damn what a pick up. I've always tried to show 3rd/4th liners some love because they don't get as much as the big name guys, and he's quickly becoming one of my favorite players along with Jed. If we go far in the playoffs and we resign him, I might just get a sweater with his name on it.
I have always been surprised how passionate Goc supporters were here. The explanations for his lack of offense were non-stop and the lauding of the talents he did have were magnified - handle the puck in a phone booth, great set of hands, best faceoff guy on the team .... just never given a chance. But he was never a top 6 and even worse as an 'energy guy.' And yet the chorus that suggested we would never find a guy with his tool box was cacophonous when he was released.

With Nichol playing a steady energy game and despite stat lines that are very similar between Goc and Nichol today, if a vote were taken 98% would take Nichol now. Why? His speed creates an entirely different paradigm on the 4th line. His FO% is even better than Goc. He finishes checks that Marcel didn't. He's at least as good on the PK. He is relentless as a forechecker, and he brings a level of energy to the team with his effort that raises the bar on for his teammates when they take their shifts. Bottom line - he is a player with a role on the team while Marcel was a player who simply played on lower lines because he wasn't good enough to play higher. But he never found a role on the team. Nichol has indeed been a breath of fresh air.

12-02-2009, 11:11 PM
SouthpawTRK

Very stoked that Scott Nichol is a Shark He adds a tremendous amount of intensity and grit to the team!

SouthpawTRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2009, 11:25 PM
sjshrky27

funny, I was watching the Preds game tonight, and I saw Goc playing and all I could think was how excited and happy I was to have Nichol (and Manny) instead or Goc/Grier.

I loved Grier, but man he couldn't hit an open net with a semi-truck

sjshrky27 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2009, 11:34 PM
Derick*

Send a message via MSN to Derick*
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjshrky27 View Post
funny, I was watching the Preds game tonight, and I saw Goc playing and all I could think was how excited and happy I was to have Nichol (and Manny) instead or Goc/Grier.

I loved Grier, but man he couldn't hit an open net with a semi-truck
Wouldn't it be harder to get a goal with a truck, because it wouldn't fit into the net?

Derick* is offline   Reply With Quote