HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Brooks Orpik wanted to be a Ranger

Old
12-02-2009, 10:53 AM
Riche16
Pessimistic-Realist

vCash: 500
I'm sorry but players don't have the right to be pissed when they're sucking like this. You're paid enormous ammounts of money to play hockey.

SHUT UP AND PLAY!

Until that starts happening they can't be angry about their buddy being benched. "Whaaahhhh"

Riche16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2009, 11:01 AM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riche16 View Post
I'm sorry but players don't have the right to be pissed when they're sucking like this. You're paid enormous ammounts of money to play hockey.

SHUT UP AND PLAY!

Until that starts happening they can't be angry about their buddy being benched. "Whaaahhhh"
Meanwhile, you get paid nothing, you chose to watch 80 plus games of this team a year. Maybe you should just shutup and watch

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2009, 11:05 AM
Glen Teflon Sather
Like A Boss

Send a message via AIM to Glen Teflon Sather
Great job Torts, sit guys so Brashear can play on the second line are you ******* kidding me I'm surprised that hasn't blown up around these parts.

Glen Teflon Sather is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2009, 11:07 AM
Fire Sather
Play Like a Pug

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Fire Sather
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagoon44 View Post
I Hate to say I told you so but I did, Torts is a bully and a liar. He is outdated and the NHL has passed him by. The Rangers are in a free fall and missing the playoff. WE have a GM in a time warp and a coach that is a a-hole this is worse then it ever was under Renney
lol @ you. Always trying to say you told us so blah blah blah.. the jury is still out on Torts, you aren't right about anything..

The problems with this team lie way before Torts even came here.

Fire Sather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2009, 11:07 AM
HandshakeLine
is probso trolling u

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ih8theislanders View Post
I thought it was reported that Sather made an offer? God Id love him with us.
Yup, he got offers from the Rangers and LA I thought. But he ended up signing with Pittsburgh, long-term for less. There's a pretty good interview where he talks about it that I can try to dig up if any of the Rangers faithful are interested.

HandshakeLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2009, 11:33 AM
BKBlackRanger
My Glove******Instagram

Quote:
Originally Posted by mullichicken25 View Post
i keep reading these posts about how the team is getting so upset with torts. People are almost trying to paint a picture of a revolution brewing in the locker room against him

im starting to realize that this is nothing more than posters being upset that the team is not winning and pretending that the team is sharing their disdain for the coaching situation...which is delusional

Start showing me quotes, even from "anonymous" players, that even hint that this is really the situation

but there are none...all we have is Dagoon claiming that the word on the street is that Henrik is pissed at Torts, and offdacrossbar claiming "this thing with Torts is real" and then going to list all the reasons for his own personal dislike of the situation

just because we don't know the full details of what goes on in the locker room and what went on with the lisin benching doesn't mean the team didnt know. If you ask me, Torts' interview made it sound like there was actually some pretty specific things that Lisin and Kotalik were asked to do and have not done. They weren't being benched for not putting up gaborik-like points, it sounds a lot like they have been repeat offenders of a specific issue that has been addressed to the team.

people need to cool down, be less delusional, and realize that its early in the season, we have a mediocre team, this a very transitional year in both terms of players and philosophy

we have a lot of things to build on with this team as well as some things to correct. Despite the apparently proven "fact" that the team despises Torts and is going to quit on him tomorrow, the future of this team is actually really bright

but don't listen to me, im an optimist and the teams in a slump, that's like treason right?
you're are a reasonable person. anyone who has sense knows the culture of this team needs to change and that's why Torts is here. if a player doesn't give an honest effort then why reward them.

NO MORE COASTING!!!!! everybody say it with me

NO MORE COASTING!!!!!
NO MORE COASTING!!!!!
NO MORE COASTING!!!!!

BKBlackRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2009, 11:33 AM
Ail
k.

http://blog.nj.com/rangers/2008/07/b...wheel_a_1.html

Quote:
Difficult to imagine that Sather didn't pull the trigger figuring he had Brooks Orpik on the way. But Orpik chose to take less per season to return to Pittsburgh for a six-year deal when he turned down the Rangers' five-year offer... Those scoring at home probably realize that the Rangers are short two NHL-level defensemen at the moment -- pretty amazing considering that Sather spent a combined $59 million to sign two Ds yesterday. Re-signing Paul Mara at about half of his $3 million salary from last year could fill one spot.
Not really any details, but it appears to be pretty obvious there was an offer made at least from NY's end.

http://slapshot.blogs.nytimes.com/20...-me-the-money/

Quote:
Orpik’s Pick: And while we’re on the subject of guys taking less money, it’s a bit instructive to look at Orpik’s re-signing by the Penguins and the fallout.

Orpik obviously looked at what the Penguins had, compared it to what the Rangers had and, even though Glen Sather threw more dollars in his direction, decided to stay put. Larry Brooks in the Post raps the Rangers for “unaccountably allowing free agent Brooks Orpik to slip through their hands,” but with Jaromir Jagr’s status uncertain, a team with both Sidney Crosby and Evgeni Malkin looks at the moment like the better place to be if you want to win.
Can't really blame Sather for that one. Let's blame Crosby.

Last edited by Ail: 12-02-2009 at 11:40 AM.
Ail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2009, 01:00 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattan Blue View Post
So Renney wasn't good enough and now Tortorella isn't good enough. Bring in a third coach and he probably won't be good enough.

Something tells me it doesn't matter who's in charge of these guys, and that the players are the ones to examine.

I don't agree with showing up and benching the guy who was playing through a broken foot, but the rest is just primadonna whining from the crew.
Renney was absolutely good enough.

He should never have been fired.

It isn't that Tortorella isn't good enough, it's that he gets in his own way.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2009, 01:10 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ailurophile View Post
http://blog.nj.com/rangers/2008/07/b...wheel_a_1.html

Not really any details, but it appears to be pretty obvious there was an offer made at least from NY's end.

http://slapshot.blogs.nytimes.com/20...-me-the-money/

Can't really blame Sather for that one. Let's blame Crosby.
Thank you for finding this.... Brooks is a Timmy.

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2009, 01:20 PM
FLYLine24*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Put him in his place?

You mean when Brooks insisted that Tortorella answer some questions about a hockey game, and Tortorella told him to go **** himself?

Yea, that Torts, hes the defender of integrity.
Pretty much, Torts said to Brooks what most of us here would like to say to him with his articles (especially this latest pile of BS)

FLYLine24* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2009, 01:27 PM
DutchShamrock

Quote:
Originally Posted by offdacrossbar View Post
um...... last time i check our other 2 rookies were doin pretty damn good. perhaps adding another makes us better? ya never know. what we have now aint workin all that great, is it ?

mdz has been very good and gilroy really pretty much the same. in fact, many nights those 2 are our best dmen esp. with redden being out.

if we subscribed to the " rookie dmen cant play" theory we would be alot worse off wouldnt we ?

rozy has been bad. really, whats the harm giving a guy like heik a shot?

we saw sangs, lets see heik.
But our record with 2 rookies on d (and 2 or more on offense for that matter) is bad. Another rookie won't improve the record, which is what all of this crying is all about. We lack intimidation and size on D. We lack solid defense on D. We lack composure on D. Granted, Roszival lacks all of that as well, but another rookie is not the answer. It will only make things worse for the new rookie and the current ones. If this is a rebuild, which I see it is in a moderate sense, then the team has to be smart about it. I want Roszival out, but it has to be done wisely through a trade. His value is negative so without hurting the franchise in the future we have to wait it out until an opportunity arises.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine24 View Post
What BS.

Brooks I believe was the one who posted that the Rangers DID make an offer to him but he chose the Pens over us (for LESS money)

Oh Brooks, sometimes you post legit stuff, but other time its just BS to start silly internet arguments.

And he shouldnt even bother posting anything about Torts since he is extremely biased against him ever since Torts put him in his place.
This is exactly as I remember it, with Brooks as the source. He is obviously forgeting his own revised history some way or another.

But Brooks was a huge proponent of bringing in Tortorella last season. I don't think bias is an issue. I think that no matter what, everyone is an armchair GM. Everyone gets loud when the team fails especially when 'their moves' were ignored. The only difference between Brooks and any of us is circulation.

Again, IF Orpik and IF Neil signed here we would have a much different atmosphere surrounding the team. But then again, IF those guys signed here they wouldn't be nearly the guys we wanted... namely team-first and loyal players we need. They would have been greedy and selfish (to an extent), they would turn a blind eye to all of stuff we see just like everyone else because the #1 motivator is that big paycheck.

Its time for Ranger fans and ownership to come to terms with the fact that a good old fashion rebuild is necessary. No more mercenaries July1. No more trades from weakness at the deadline. Nice and slow like every one else.

DutchShamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2009, 10:41 PM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

Let's get something straight: speculation from larry Brooks weighs 10000 tons more than speculation from disgruntled rangers fans on message boards.

Larry is given free reign at the Post and tells it like it is. He writes for one of a handful of papers in the country who allow their writers to editorialize as beat writers, who IMO are generally sterile and redundant.

I'm not saying Larry is a great writer, but you can tell he understands the team better than any beat writer since Frank Brown or Barry Meisel.

Larry has had egg on his face before (Holik and Kaspar signings), but in the end he is one of the few guys who hold this team and organization accountable through good times and mostly bad.

As for Orpik, we all know it was a no-brainer because he was coming off a monster postseason in 2008.

To this day, the re-signing of Roszival after it was determined Straka and Jagr werent coming back is clouded in mystery and misery.

GWOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2009, 10:51 PM
Radek27

Send a message via AIM to Radek27
Ok so lets say we fire Torts, then what? Hire another coach and make it Sathers 6th selection in ten years? Why would you even trust him to make the right hire? I don't. As much as I don't agree with Torts decisions I think we have to give him atleast one full season before letting him go. This team is thin and soft, not the two greatest things to have in your first full season behind the bench.

Radek27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2009, 10:59 PM
McMonster

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
Another rookie on the blueline is the answer?
Hey, it'll be better than having the disaster that is Michal Rozsival out there.

McMonster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2009, 11:03 PM
Radek27

Send a message via AIM to Radek27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckhead71 View Post
Hey, it'll be better than having the disaster that is Michal Rozsival out there.
I think aside form that one big mistake that lead to the goal where he just backed in he has been playing better, starting to shoot more too which is a good thing with Rozy. Good shot just needs to start using it.

Radek27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2009, 11:16 PM
trilobyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radek27 View Post
...he has been playing better, starting to shoot more too which is a good thing with Rozy. Good shot just needs to start using it.
A road well travelled, actually pretty much worn out.

trilobyte is offline   Reply With Quote