HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Essential Guide to being a STL Blues fan

Old
11-30-2009, 11:30 PM
Cheli

vCash: 500
The Essential Guide to being a STL Blues fan

Jump down to the blue if you want to skip the sentimental stuff

So I'm a few months short of my 1 year anniversary of being a Blues fan.

To cut a long story short for those of you who haven't heard it, I got into the Blues about February last season, mainly because of Oshie. While I still love TJ, I quickly realized that there's so many other Blues players to fall in love with as well. And so it began.

I guess, in some ways, I picked the perfect time. The team was just starting to turn around and it was the beginning of an amazing run. The playoff sweep was heartbreaking. I was immensely torn between "from last place to the playoffs!" and "****, that was too quick," and "the future is so bright for this team."

But there's still something missing. I grew up in Toronto, and have only moved away from my childhood home for university during parts of the year. I watched the Leafs (and honestly, I still do).

I didn't feel the turnaround of hockey in St. Louis; I didn't feel the playoff atmosphere (except through the TV). When I heard they'd surpassed last year's ticket sales in July, I was amazed, but I don't think I appreciated the full extent of it.

I know we've been a bit low on activity lately, though we've picked up the past week or two, and this is something that's been on my mind lately. With the team in its current state, it might be a refreshing change too.

To get to my point:

- What are some of the Blues' defining moments in history?
- What is essential knowledge, reading, watching, etc., for a new Blues fan?
- What are some of your most significant Blues-related memories? (both highs and lows)

In other words:
- Who and what do you think of when you think of the Blues?

I already know the general info and have seen short highlights of the Monday Night Miracle, and I'll be searching for a full recording of the game. It's an example of the kind of stuff I'm looking for right now. I also know about MacInnis and Pronger, though admittedly not as much as I should. Key players are good to know too, it doesn't just have to be a certain game/highlight like the Monday Night Miracle.

Cheli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2009, 12:22 AM
Celtic Note
Not in Ferguson

Players of Significance....Plager's, Sutter's, Cavallini's, Basil McRae, Garth Butcher, Curtis Joseph, Mike Luit, Brett Hall, Adam Oates, Craig Janney, Brendan Shanahan, The Scott Stevens fiasco, Twist and Chase, Pronger, Al MacInnis...the list goes on.

I would familiarize yourself with "The Arena", also called the Checkerdome...thats where the best Blues history took place and if you were lucky enough to see a game there then you should consider yourself blessed...I know I do!

I will add more as I remember.

Celtic Note is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2009, 01:20 AM
trevorftw
Voice of Reason

vCash: 200
More recently...

-2000 5-goal comeback against the leafs
-last year clinching the playoffs
-playoff disappointments: See Gretzky/Hull's blues OT loss to Yzerman and the red wings, and President's trophy team losing to 8th seeded San Jose (Nolan goal is heartbreaking.)

trevorftw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2009, 05:59 AM
DrVanntastic

vCash: 630
You should really read Bob Plager's book "Tales From the Blues Bench".

http://www.amazon.com/Bob-Plagers-Ta.../dp/1582617473

Also should read "Blue Fire" if you can find a copy. http://www.amazon.com/Blue-Fire-Seas...9668706&sr=1-1

DrVanntastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2009, 08:39 AM
InjunSteve
CARL WINSLOW!

Send a message via AIM to InjunSteve
some of my favorite memories

the st patricks day massacre:

the "here comes Chevelde" brawl:

the voice you hear in the videos is of ken wilson, the former blues announcer
add tony twist, doug gilmour(and the baby sitter fiasco is interesting), to the list of notables. the mike keenan era would be an interesting readup for you.

Last edited by InjunSteve: 12-01-2009 at 08:48 AM.
InjunSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2009, 11:20 AM
number 77

For me there are so many things. Growing up, it was all about Brett Hull.

Plager's book is excellent by the way. Only book out there to my knowledge about the birth of the Blues.

number 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2009, 11:21 AM
WalterSobchak
Blues Trololol

Unfortunately this is still my most memorable moment. I want a new one.

WalterSobchak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2009, 11:54 AM
Blueshockey2*

Most recent highs:

1)Blues clinch playoff spot vs. Columbus last year in March
2) Blues incredible run in last years 2nd half
3) Blues trade away fan favorite Doug Weight for Andy McDonald

Lows:
1) EJ golf cart accident
2) Mike Kitchen era
3) Eric Brewer named captain

Blueshockey2* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2009, 02:06 PM
butteredtoast

Every sports fan knows Bobby Orr, Stanley Cup etc, but I think only Blues fans know what team he scored against.

Loooooove Al Macinnis, my favorite Blue of all time. Even for a kid that didn't have great hockey knowledge, it wasn't hard to understand, "He shoots it really ******* hard". Such a shame he had to retire due to that eye injury, he still had some good years in him.

Ken Wilson: You don't, think do ya, could you come back from a five nothing lead in the third period?

Loooooove Tony Twist, my first favorite Blue. Even for a kid that didn't have great hockey knowledge, it wasn't hard to understand, "He hits people really ******* hard". Such a shame he had to retire due to that motorcycle injury, he still had some good years in him.

I don't know what's funnier, Nash getting owned two days in a row, or the Columbus announcers trying to cover up for him. "A bit of an elbow, errrrr crosscheck, errr wait what?"

Last edited by butteredtoast: 12-01-2009 at 02:12 PM.
butteredtoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2009, 02:55 PM
MissouriBlues2008

I love the whiny Blue Jackets announcers.

MissouriBlues2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2009, 09:13 PM
Cheli

Quote:
Originally Posted by butteredtoast View Post
I don't know what's funnier, Nash getting owned two days in a row, or the Columbus announcers trying to cover up for him. "A bit of an elbow, errrrr crosscheck, errr wait what?"
Too bad it really lit a fire under Nash, I forget which night but he was a beast after the hit and he scored the tying goal IIRC. Love the hits, but huge props to Nash for not just hanging his head and hiding in a corner.

Good stuff so far guys, keep them coming I'd love to have enough to be going through this stuff for months. I'm about to cross-post on Blues Talk as well because I know there's a fair amount of activity and different posters over there.

Last edited by Cheli: 12-01-2009 at 09:22 PM.
Old
12-02-2009, 03:00 PM
DrVanntastic

vCash: 630
Quote:
Originally Posted by WalterSobchak View Post
Unfortunately this is still my most memorable moment. I want a new one.

Mine is mucho better!

Should also add the Craig Janney-Brendan Shanahan scandal as a low.

DrVanntastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2009, 03:12 PM
roarke

I grew up going to games at The Arena in the 80's with my grandfather (who was a season ticket holder from the first season the Blues started in St. Louis). Some essential highlights would be the Monday Night Miracle, Hull's hat trick to get 500 goals (the same day that Keenan was fired - I had seats on the glass that night), Gretzky scoring in his first home game with St. Louis (I was there that night, too), listening to Dan Kelly call road games on the radio, and the atmosphere in The Arena any time the Blues played the Blackhawks.

As a sidenote, a personal highlight of mine was leaving the parking lot outside the Arena after a Blackhawks game with my grandfather one time when I was twelve. We had just started up the car when a guy came up and knocked on the driver's side window. My grandfather rolled the window down and the guy asked if we could give him a ride to the bus station. My grandfather looked at the guy and, noticing his Blackhawks jersey, said "F### you" and rolled up his window. It gave me a whole new respect for my grandfather.

roarke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2009, 05:42 PM
Blueshockey2*

Blues clinch 2009 playoff berth

Another low, Steve Yzerman 1996 Double OT goal in game 7

Blueshockey2* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2009, 07:44 PM
Randall Ritchey
The Fourth Period

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueshockey2 View Post

Blues clinch 2009 playoff berth

Another low, Steve Yzerman 1996 Double OT goal in game 7
Fixed those for you. You juse need to add everything after the =

Randall Ritchey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2009, 08:31 PM
Cheli

Quote:
Originally Posted by InjunSteve View Post
some of my favorite memories

the st patricks day massacre:
Crazy. What was the final score of the game?

And more importantly haha, how many players were left at the end?

Quote:
the "here comes Chevelde" brawl:
I think I've seen this before, it seems very familiar to me. Huge deja vu moment when (of all times) the goalies are fighting at centre ice and the announcer says he'll try to keep the TV viewers updated on everything else.

Growing up in Toronto, I'm no stranger to Cujo and Gilmour. It's great to see some of their Blues highlights though.

I haven't overlooked the rest of you, just wanted to comment on this bit before I forgot.

Old
12-03-2009, 01:02 AM
mmitchell19

I will share the story of the night I became a Blues fan. I don't remember the specific date of the game.

I grew up in Kansas, and my paternal grandparents lived in St. Louis. We were visiting for a long weekend very early in my amateur hockey career...I was probably 7 years old. At the time, I was a Blackhawks fan, because I liked Savard & Secord and we saw them on ESPN a fair amount. (I know...I know.)

So me & my dad went to a Blues - 'Hawks game at the arena. I was proudly wearing my 'Hawks long-sleeved t-shirt and hat. The Blues jumped out to an early lead, and I took a bathroom break (I still haven't forgiven my dad for sending me alone to the bathroom).

I took my stance in front of the classic trough-style urinal, and began my business. Five seconds later, two dudes wearing Blues jerseys (who appeared to be about 8 feet tall) stood uncomfortably close to me on either side. One muttered to the other in a menacing voice (again, from my 7-yo perspective): "Looks like we got ourselves a Chicken Hawk fan here. He oughta know better than to come into our barn wearing that red ***."

I immediately finished my business, and officially began questioning my allegiance. The Blues ended up winning the game 5-1...several fights on the ice, more in the stands...I left the Arena a Blues fan.

I don't know if that's a typical story, but I thought it might provide amusement for some.

As for essential Blues history...there were the three straight Finals losses after expansion...I distinctly remember being saddened by the playoff loss to the Leafs in '93 (?), and CRUSHED by the first-round loss to the Sharks in '01 (may you ever live in infamy, Roman Turek). I was watching that series at my in-laws' house a year after marrying their youngest daughter...it took every ounce of discipline I could muster to avoid running around their home screaming profanities and breaking things.

mmitchell19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2009, 08:50 AM
InjunSteve
CARL WINSLOW!

Send a message via AIM to InjunSteve
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheli View Post
Crazy. What was the final score of the game?

And more importantly haha, how many players were left at the end?

final score was 6-4 chicago. here is a good read about it:
http://hochei.blogspot.com/2008/03/s...-massacre.html
here's a penalty sheet with reviews of the incidents and some vids:
http://dropyourgloves.com/Fights/Gam...046#Fight25046

InjunSteve is offline   Reply With Quote