HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Oskars Bartulis: 3yr/$1.8M contract extension per Daily News

Old
12-03-2009, 10:04 AM
JSTAFF

vCash: 500
Parent 3rd pairing defensemen? please. Timonen / Parent was solid as hell. He also plays the PK with Pronger in case no one notices.

JSTAFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2009, 10:39 AM
Wolfy
The Hobbit Rules!

Maybe Carcillo should just pull that trigger. No more Parent, and it will open up a D-spot

Wolfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2009, 10:59 AM
CantSeeColors

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELab2 View Post
that may be true, but as I've said we've got enough guys coming around the bend that I'm willing to give a shot before overpaying or making a commitment of any real length
So you'd rather give up on Parent after like 100 NHL games just to save ~250k? When one of Coburn and Carle is probably gone after the season and we already have to stick another rookie in the lineup to replace the one shipped out, giving up on Parent is the last thing we need. He's been everything that should have been expected from him, and while his play hasn't necessarily earned him a raise yet, some other team will be more than happy to give it to him and odds are we'd regret that big time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfy View Post
What the heck is Bartulis doing? Doesn't he have an agent? He was fooled, 600k a year for 3 years isn't a good deal for him. He should at least end up with a $2M deal, with 100k up per season. He'll really become a low budget player for the Flyers if he continues to develope.
The guy got offered a guaranteed $1.8M after just ten NHL games. That contract alone is probably enough for him to retire to a comfortable life in Latvia until the day he dies (assuming he goes back home after his career, which most Euro NHLers do). I think he'd be a fool not to take it. At this point, long term income security is probably way more important than trying to get rich. Perfect contract for both sides imo.

CantSeeColors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2009, 11:36 AM
Valhoun*

Send a message via AIM to Valhoun*
Quote:
Originally Posted by CantSeeColors View Post
The guy got offered a guaranteed $1.8M after just ten NHL games. That contract alone is probably enough for him to retire to a comfortable life in Latvia until the day he dies (assuming he goes back home after his career, which most Euro NHLers do). I think he'd be a fool not to take it. At this point, long term income security is probably way more important than trying to get rich. Perfect contract for both sides imo.
It also brings him to the sweet spot for defensemen where they can sign the best contract that they are ever going to sign. And, if it is a one way deal, Bartulis will get to play in the NHL a lot.

Valhoun* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2009, 12:22 PM
v-man

It's a great deal for both of them. The Flyers get a solid player signed up for nearly the league minimum (which can end up being a big steal), while Bart gets security. Sure he could have waited and earned a bit more at the end of the season, but there is no guarantee that he won't see more time in the AHL, and this way, even if he's down there anytime in the next three years he'll still get his NHL salary. He's said in Latvian interviews that they started to negotiate just after his seventh game, which really surprised him, and that this is a good reason to keep working harder to earn more in future contracts. By the look of things he's not going to be like a lot of players who become complacent after signing for more than they're worth.

v-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2009, 12:37 PM
Terence Peterman

There's a teeny little part of me that's a little more stoked than the rest because I signed him in my keeper league just as a body who gives me more options (we can call up and send down any player making <1 mill without having to deal with waivers). I did the same thing with Drewiske.

Terence Peterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2009, 01:24 PM
IrishSniper87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonny View Post
There's a teeny little part of me that's a little more stoked than the rest because I signed him in my keeper league just as a body who gives me more options (we can call up and send down any player making <1 mill without having to deal with waivers). I did the same thing with Drewiske.
Thanks Hawks, now I know the truth.

Haha! I'm whipping you this week so far in the league you speak of! Phil Kessel to the rescue!

IrishSniper87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2009, 01:50 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hovercraft View Post
Parent will likely get between 900k and 1.2 mil
Or he'll be used as trade bait. I'll call it right now - Ryan Parent to Columbus for Nikita Filatov.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2009, 01:52 PM
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
Or he'll be used as trade bait. I'll call it right now - Ryan Parent to Columbus for Nikita Filatov.
Erase your post... erase it before it comes true. I'd be hard pressed not so smack Homer upside the head if he pulled that crap.

CharlieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2009, 02:46 PM
mm6492

Great move for the Flyers. You get a solid defenseman at a great price for 3 years.

mm6492 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2009, 02:47 PM
IrishSniper87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie_Girl View Post
Erase your post... erase it before it comes true. I'd be hard pressed not so smack Homer upside the head if he pulled that crap.
R u seirous?

R U SERIOUS?

I like Parent and all, but I'd drive the kid to the airport for Filatov!

Old
12-03-2009, 02:56 PM
Valhoun*

Send a message via AIM to Valhoun*
Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishSniper87 View Post
R u seirous?

R U SERIOUS?

I like Parent and all, but I'd drive the kid to the airport for Filatov!
I do not want Filatov in our pond hockey, no accountability, everything is fine system.

Hitch has his faults but I'm sure a lot of this is the kid's feelings getting hurt by having to play the 3rd line. "3rd line" being Russian for "defense."

Valhoun* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2009, 03:15 PM
CantSeeColors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valhoun View Post
It also brings him to the sweet spot for defensemen where they can sign the best contract that they are ever going to sign. And, if it is a one way deal, Bartulis will get to play in the NHL a lot.
Actually, not quite. He'll have one more year of RFA before being able to find that fat deal. If he's still in the NHL by the end of this one he'll certainly get a nice raise at that point, but not what he'd get in UFA I don't think.

CantSeeColors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2009, 04:22 PM
Terence Peterman

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishSniper87 View Post
Thanks Hawks, now I know the truth.

Haha! I'm whipping you this week so far in the league you speak of! Phil Kessel to the rescue!
I haven't had a full lineup or goalie play yet. Or Hossa. You just wait.

Terence Peterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2009, 04:25 PM
IrishSniper87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonny View Post
I haven't had a full lineup or goalie play yet. Or Hossa. You just wait.
You are going to need that good luck. I havent had newly acquired Kessel play yet, and I have 2 Goalie Wins, a 1.40 GAA and 0.955 Sv% and 1 shutout already.

May the best man win!

EDIT: I might arguably have the best set of goalies in the league.

Kiprusoff, Tim Thomas and Tomas Vokoun

Old
12-03-2009, 10:41 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie_Girl View Post
Are you serious? Ryan Parent's upside is that of Bret Hedican. Filatov's upside is that of Pavel Bure. Are you trying to tell me that you'd take Hedican over Bure? I'm sorry, but if you have a chance to acquire a Bure-type player, you do so. Filatov is going to be a superstar, just not in Columbus. Why not make a deal for a potential superstar in waiting?

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote