HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Shooting Secrets?

Old
11-25-2009, 03:03 AM
TheGooooch
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyfan68 View Post
I am trying to picture this visually ... I shoot lefty. Are you shooting on the off-wing or your natural wing for your righty shot?

It sounds like you are turning on your shot too soon to me if you are on the off-wing ... the secret to a good one timer is staying back on your hind leg as long as possible which if done properly prevents this.

Do you feel like your weight is on your front foot when one timing?

One thing that most people do not know how to do is to make a good pass to someone to onetime it to begin with. Almost always they make a pass too far to one's front foot forcing the guy to drift into the pass and making a more difficult shot.

Maybe you are getting passes in the wrong place. They should be in the middle of your feet but preferably closer to the rear foot so you can uncoil using leg drive.

Your stick should followthrough when you shoot to be pointed at the goal which means if you look down your shaft after your shot and see off to the side of the goal you will not hit the goal with your shot. And yes you should be low enough after your shot to actually look down your shaft after the shot at the goal.

The puck is following your followthrough because it has to. I'm serious, you should be able to look down your stick shaft at eye level after your shot and be able to see into the net past your blade.

I'm good at onetimers BUT I spend so much time concentrating on the shot so I rarely "aim" it. I pick a general quarter section of the goal usually on the near side for obvious reasons like the goalie isn't there yet which is what the onetimer is designed for anyway. You want to catch the goalie moving so total accuracy isn't as important unless you are a pro or something becasue those goalies are like "there".

I shoot best on my off wing too by the way which is an easier shot for the onetimer for me. It may be different for you and I am still not sure if you are shooting righty on the right side or shooting righty on the left side. I can shoot across my body on the left side as a lefty but it is a hard shot to make and you have to have a great pass which rarely happens with the guys I play with anyway.

I doubt this has helped you but it is the best way I can describe it. I'm no pro and miss the net with the best of them but I do have good success with this shot and am decent at it. They are getting harder to do after 40 years old though I must admit. The brain can still do it but the body doesn't listen.
No, that helps. I can't say that I ever really get ideal passes though so that could be a big thing. I am righty and it would usually be when I am coming down the left wing side.

Yeah, I don't get the passes for a one timer if I am on the right side.

I think that I need to work on my position as well so that I can adjust forward and back in order to make the pass work better.

TheGooooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2009, 03:46 AM
ju87

Head Coach: great post ! Thanks a lot.

I'm mainly a D-man but I get bumped up to wing every once and again. I usually have no clue what to do when I enter the zone. Your post helped a lot.

ju87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2009, 02:32 PM
Escapades

Head Up!

Escapades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2009, 06:49 PM
Hockeyfan68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Escapades View Post
Head Up!
perfectly logical

It took me a long time to be able to do that but it helped out more than anything after I had that down. It is sometimes overlooked by amature players and would improve goalscoring even with a mediocre shot.

Hockeyfan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2009, 11:53 PM
McMonster

When trying to snipe a corner, aim for the post and you will hit the corner every time. I don't know why, but this works for me.

McMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2009, 10:49 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Or if you're me, you'll go just wide

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2009, 05:15 PM
deanosaur

Come on people, while this is all nice.
Most importantly KEEP YOUR HEAD UP. It works wonders.

deanosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2009, 03:23 PM
Pog Form

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
Or if you're me, you'll go just wide
And if you're like me, it'll go high too.

Pog Form is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2009, 01:31 AM
nyr33

Quote:
Originally Posted by deangamblin View Post
this is so true. practice getting a feel for the puck on your stick, this works for slappers and wristers and you can even fake a goalie out by shooting a different spot than your looking.

Keeping your head up is the best thing you can do while playing

nyr33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2009, 08:08 AM
Marotte Marauder

If you do nothing else, shoot low to the short side as your default selection. You will score more goals with that even without improving your shot.

Marotte Marauder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2009, 11:43 AM
EmptyNetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by deangamblin View Post
I thought keeping your head up is only for wrist shots. For slapshots don't you keep your eye on the puck?

EmptyNetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2009, 01:31 PM
Marotte Marauder

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmptyNetter View Post
I thought keeping your head up is only for wrist shots. For slapshots don't you keep your eye on the puck?
no not really.

Marotte Marauder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2009, 01:50 AM
Hockeyfan68

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmptyNetter View Post
Usually one takes a look before the windup, during the windup you look at the puck and just before you hit it you look at the goal and pick a spot.

A slapshot is a crapshoot until one learns to aim it and pick a spot.

Hockeyfan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2009, 01:41 PM
nyr33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyfan68 View Post
Usually one takes a look before the windup, during the windup you look at the puck and just before you hit it you look at the goal and pick a spot.

A slapshot is a crapshoot until one learns to aim it and pick a spot.

this. watch any good defensemen take a slapshot, they glance down and look up at their target. Mike green does it very well

nyr33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2009, 02:41 PM
wearethegreek

Make sure you keep your hands far enough away from your body that you can turn your wrists over properly. If you need a video example of this let me know.

wearethegreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2009, 03:45 PM
Ani simov mal

Can you post it?

Ani simov mal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2009, 03:50 PM
Gunnar Stahl 30
...In The World!

in a high pace game, most players will take snap shots. you really dont have time to pivot in transition and take a wrist shot, and a snap shot is the quickest release. lean into the stick, you dont really even have to wind up, just lean into it and let teh stick do the work

Gunnar Stahl 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2009, 06:59 PM
wearethegreek

Old
12-03-2009, 07:02 PM
wearethegreek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnar Stahl 30 View Post
in a high pace game, most players will take snap shots. you really dont have time to pivot in transition and take a wrist shot, and a snap shot is the quickest release. lean into the stick, you dont really even have to wind up, just lean into it and let teh stick do the work

Old
12-04-2009, 11:55 PM
backhander

great thread

backhander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2009, 11:16 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

This was a great video. I have a pretty decent snap shot, but this really brought home the wrister over the weekend. Especially when transferring weight and using forearms more than wrists to turn the blade over.

Normally I use a 67-75 flex stick when shooting, but I was getting an even harder shot with a Sherwood 7000 cut down (closer to 90-100 flex).

Old
12-07-2009, 04:33 PM
wearethegreek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post

This was a great video. I have a pretty decent snap shot, but this really brought home the wrister over the weekend. Especially when transferring weight and using forearms more than wrists to turn the blade over.

Normally I use a 67-75 flex stick when shooting, but I was getting an even harder shot with a Sherwood 7000 cut down (closer to 90-100 flex).
Once you properly learn the mechanics of shooting you can fully utilize a stick's flex and you will find that you can actually use a stiffer stick if you know how to get the most of your shooting motion.

Just watch Joe Sakic it's all in the wrists.

Old
12-08-2009, 12:30 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Yeah the 67 flex was more an experiment than anything...I'll probably keep it for dryland stuff (it's cut 2" below the chin in skates).

For the last few years I've been using 75 flex sticks...thinking about trying an 85 but since I'm only 5'8" and cut them an inch below the chin in skates, that sucker would be well over 100 flex when all is said and done.

Oh yeah, and on Sakic's retirement night, he was up in the booth saying he used a really short stick, and it was all in the legs

Old
12-08-2009, 07:55 PM
ElephantCart

Is there a book i can buy that's full of stuff like HeadCoach's post with detailed diagrams and explanations? I have Percival's Hockey Handbook that has some diagrams in it but not as detailed as I'd like. Or do I just need a coach like HeadCoach? That post rocked.

ElephantCart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2009, 01:47 AM
curry67*

use the stick. bend it.

curry67* is offline   Reply With Quote