HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Front office leadership lacking?

Old
12-02-2009, 07:15 PM
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!

vCash: 50
Front office leadership lacking?

I'm a big fan of JD, and think that what the Blues have assembled in the front office with JD, Pleau, Armstrong and the scouting team is a fantastic crew.

That being said, it seems like JD has been uncharacteristically quiet this year. I understand he's had some health issues, but I'm not convinced that would keep him out of interviews and other things where he's been so vocal. Even what interviews he IS doing, he seems to me to be doing more politician-speak than anything else.

Checketts made his passionate speech. Things are incrementally improving, but as it stands today the team is one win better than last in the conference.

The natives are restless. The team is very inconsistent (which I would chalk up to youthfulness, except its the veterans who have also been inconsistent). The logjam of talent is starting to interfere with guys progressing and getting adequate ice time (carrying 8 defensemen, for example).

I'd like to see a bit more of a voice from the front office right now....and I also think there is pressure on them to do a deal at some point to trade a bit of quantity of prospects for quality (a high-end player in his prime). It doesn't have to happen right now, but things cant' stay like this forever.

If there has been a coherent plan on what to do with Pietro, its been pretty vague.

Is JD being more vague because Murray really IS in question? Are his health issues interfering a bit with his public relations? Is the front office unsure what to do? Or are they being steady and patient while just the fans panic?

2 Minute Minor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2009, 07:41 PM
Blueshockey2*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Minute Minor View Post
Are his health issues interfering a bit with his public relations? Is the front office unsure what to do? Or are they being steady and patient while just the fans panic?

I've noticed JD has been REALLY quiet this year..

As far as health, I know he just had knee replacement... But I really want to believe that it's because they are in question with Andy Murray

Blueshockey2* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2009, 07:43 PM
ChicagoBlues

The St. Louis John Davidsons

Good post Minor!

Without anything about what is really going on, my guess as to why JD has been less vocal this season is because last season it seemed we were all about JD this and JD that. Even fans from other teams were coming around to praise JD.

Frankly, I think all of the JD love has been a bit of a distraction for the team. We all know who calls the personnel shots (JD), but why don't we let him recede into the shadows just a bit.

This is, after all, The St. Louis Blues, not The St. Louis John Davidsons.

RE Pietro: I think The Blues have been, most likely, honest and up front with Pietro himself in regards to his situation. They don't have to tell us jack ****, which I don't like, but it is so.

ChicagoBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2009, 07:52 PM
Blues0307

I don't think the leadership in the front office is lacking at all. This is a tough time for this franchise because they wanted to have a good year to keep ticket sales up, so they're caught in a bind now and may have to make some changes. I think they're quieter this year because expectations were much higher this year coming into the season than the past few and things aren't going well. I think they still have a solid group, just going through some turmoil for the moment. All in all, we still have a lot to look forward to in the coming years, maybe this year will be a blessing in disguise.

Blues0307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2009, 12:59 AM
Robb_K

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blues0307 View Post
I don't think the leadership in the front office is lacking at all. This is a tough time for this franchise because they wanted to have a good year to keep ticket sales up, so they're caught in a bind now and may have to make some changes. I think they're quieter this year because expectations were much higher this year coming into the season than the past few and things aren't going well. I think they still have a solid group, just going through some turmoil for the moment. All in all, we still have a lot to look forward to in the coming years, maybe this year will be a blessing in disguise.
It would have been a blessing in disguise if Pietrangelo, Eller and Junland got a lot of NHL playing time, so they'll be ready to contribute at a high level next season. I fear it may not end up as a blessing to try to win games with Weaver and Sydor and playing veteran grinders rather than Eller, and more minutes for Berglund, just to miss the playoffs, anyway.

Robb_K is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2009, 01:49 AM
trevorftw
Voice of Reason

vCash: 800
If we're sellers at the deadline, it'll be very likely that all of those kids get a serious chance.

trevorftw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2009, 02:37 AM
concept*

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Minute Minor View Post
That being said, it seems like JD has been uncharacteristically quiet this year.
I was just thinking the same thing the other day. I think in some sense he's attempting to save face. He's been the face of the organization since he came here, quickly usurping Pleau, et. al. and attempting to publicize the changes we've made. Then we gave Murray an extension. Since then we've played in the crapper, and there seems to be an uprising against some of the front office. I think he'll continue to stay out of the spotlight until he can find a new coach (Lavs, as many of us hope), and he can again take the spotlight and say that this move too is a change we need.

Until then, he's just saving face, in my opinion.

concept* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2009, 02:57 AM
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by concept View Post
I was just thinking the same thing the other day. I think in some sense he's attempting to save face. He's been the face of the organization since he came here, quickly usurping Pleau, et. al. and attempting to publicize the changes we've made. Then we gave Murray an extension. Since then we've played in the crapper, and there seems to be an uprising against some of the front office. I think he'll continue to stay out of the spotlight until he can find a new coach (Lavs, as many of us hope), and he can again take the spotlight and say that this move too is a change we need.

Until then, he's just saving face, in my opinion.
Yeah....I'm wondering whether he's distancing himself from the coaching staff a bit. Firing people and releasing players is a part of the job that I would never get used to or enjoy. JD is such a genuine guy that I question how easily those types of moves come to him, too.

2 Minute Minor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2009, 11:28 AM
number 77

I know it has been talked about how Doug Armstrong will take over for Pleau at the end of this season. I have to wonder if he will run things any differently.

John Davidson is such a good ambassador for the game and the Blues, I hate to see him suddenly quiet on the big issues that face this team. Granted he's done some local interviews, but I haven't heard the candid John Davidson from seasons ago.

number 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2009, 12:00 PM
EOM

Perhaps JD is stepping back and giving Doug Armstrong more responsibility for personnel management, considering that Armstrong will be GM next year.

EOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2009, 12:06 PM
SteenMachine

Quote:
Originally Posted by EOM View Post
Perhaps JD is stepping back and giving Doug Armstrong more responsibility for personnel management, considering that Armstrong will be GM next year.
Not to mention he'd be more available to take the reigns consistently considering Pleau was invested in his wife's health and recovery the past few years.

SteenMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2009, 08:30 PM
Blues0307

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robb_K View Post
It would have been a blessing in disguise if Pietrangelo, Eller and Junland got a lot of NHL playing time, so they'll be ready to contribute at a high level next season. I fear it may not end up as a blessing to try to win games with Weaver and Sydor and playing veteran grinders rather than Eller, and more minutes for Berglund, just to miss the playoffs, anyway.
I hear ya. The Blues are too resistant in bringing up youth. If the front office doesn't want to start a player's NHL contract i.e. Petro because they're strapped financially, then there's nothing we can do about that. But I have a feeling it's more Murray than anyone. He just doesn't seem comfortable relying on youth.

Blues0307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2009, 09:23 PM
Blueshockey2*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blues0307 View Post
I hear ya. The Blues are too resistant in bringing up youth. If the front office doesn't want to start a player's NHL contract i.e. Petro because they're strapped financially, then there's nothing we can do about that. But I have a feeling it's more Murray than anyone. He just doesn't seem comfortable relying on youth.
Yes they are hesitant, but I think that they don't want to rush the youth like Phoenix and Edmonton did

Blueshockey2* is offline   Reply With Quote