HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The 'what the crap should we do?!' thread

Old
12-01-2009, 10:49 AM
Heaton
#disapointment

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Heaton
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fugu View Post
Well, for that kind of money, you shouldn't have to superload, right?

One of those guys should be able to keep Homer a respectable 20G/yr guy, right?

When it takes $27 MM of talent to keep your $2.25 MM guy the leading scoring (and only him)...... then there are some issues. Either people are seriously overpaid or the assets aren't being deployed very well.

Or another way to look at it is that the Wings have spent all their money on one line (including the 2 D)...... maybe mis-spent is the better word.
I think it's less cut and dry, but the fact remains that there are players who aren't pulling their offensive weight. Whether it's completely their fault or not is subjective. But this Red Wings has never completely been about individualistic efforts. Datsyuk, Lidstrom, Rafalski, Cleary, Bertuzzi etc.. are playing below their offensive level. But the loss of Franzen, Filppula, Kronwall and even Williams is being underestimated around here. It's being swept under the rug to some extent.

I'm not nor have I ever made excuses for this season. Even with out the 4 aforementioned players, I still believe 100% that this is a playoff team. The teams roles have just started to become identified in the last little while.

Heaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2009, 04:56 PM
Roy S

Quote:
Well, for that kind of money, you shouldn't have to superload, right?

One of those guys should be able to keep Homer a respectable 20G/yr guy, right?

When it takes $27 MM of talent to keep your $2.25 MM guy the leading scoring (and only him)...... then there are some issues. Either people are seriously overpaid or the assets aren't being deployed very well.

Or another way to look at it is that the Wings have spent all their money on one line (including the 2 D)...... maybe mis-spent is the better word.
I don't follow. Z, Lids and Pavel are more than worth their contracts. Rafalski might be slightly overpaid. Regardless, I don't follow the logic.

The Wings will be fine. We are without 3 top 9 forwards (2 of which were top 6) and our 3rd best D-man. That is not an excuse. Its a fact. It completely changes the outlook of our team. Without them, we should still be a playoff team. But, we are only an above average team. If they all come back healthy, we will be a top 5 team in the NHL, just like we are every single season.

Roy S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2009, 07:16 PM
HockeyinHD

Quote:
Like I noted in your 100-ish thread... We're getting Homey those goals with 2 guys who cost $7MM each (approximately), and usually with the D pairing that costs $13 MM. Niiiiiiice.
On the Powerplay, which only accounts for half of Homlstrom's goals? Sure.

You may want to check the pairings at ES, though... where Holmstrom has the second most ES goals on the team at forward.

HockeyinHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2009, 09:20 PM
Fugu

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heaton View Post
I think it's less cut and dry, but the fact remains that there are players who aren't pulling their offensive weight. Whether it's completely their fault or not is subjective. But this Red Wings has never completely been about individualistic efforts. Datsyuk, Lidstrom, Rafalski, Cleary, Bertuzzi etc.. are playing below their offensive level. But the loss of Franzen, Filppula, Kronwall and even Williams is being underestimated around here. It's being swept under the rug to some extent.

I'm not nor have I ever made excuses for this season. Even with out the 4 aforementioned players, I still believe 100% that this is a playoff team. The teams roles have just started to become identified in the last little while.
I'm not sure it's really getting swept under the rug. I think it's a huge factor. Kronwall and Franzen are almost as important offensively as are Z and Dats. Where I disagree is with the team's potential with and without those guys. With them, and I think they're in the hunt. Without them, it's too easy to key in on the guys who are left and make their lives that much more difficult.

Old
12-02-2009, 04:35 AM
Nordic*

Perhaps this is the time to ship Franzen. If we're lucky some team will overvalue him even though he's injured - and we need someone right now to even make the damn playoffs.

Nordic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2009, 07:15 AM
Heaton
#disapointment

Send a message via AIM to Heaton
Quote:
I'm not sure it's really getting swept under the rug. I think it's a huge factor. Kronwall and Franzen are almost as important offensively as are Z and Dats. Where I disagree is with the team's potential with and without those guys. With them, and I think they're in the hunt. Without them, it's too easy to key in on the guys who are left and make their lives that much more difficult.
All I'm saying is that reading some comments would lead you to believe that even a healthy lineup would be sitting out of the playoffs right now.

Heaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2009, 09:29 PM
oldtimerhockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyinHD View Post
2.25 mil
1.58 mil
883k.

These are the 'big contracts'.

And, by the way, Homer (tied for team lead in goals) and Draper (1 fewer ES point than Datsyuk) are both outperforming their deals this year. Again.

NTC.
You are touting Holmstrom??- 1 goal in 10 games, 2 goals in 14 games. At least more than his last 19 playoff games.

oldtimerhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2009, 09:34 PM
detredWINgs

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtimerhockey View Post
You are touting Holmstrom??- 1 goal in 10 games, 2 goals in 14 games. At least more than his last 19 playoff games.
You forgot 10 goals in 27 games. Or do they not count when you score in bunches? Better tell Hank then.

detredWINgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2009, 09:36 PM
oldtimerhockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by detredWINgs View Post
You forgot 10 goals in 27 games. Or do they not count when you score in bunches? Better tell Hank then.
The guy has slumped as the season progresses as he is in the twilight of his career. He could barely skate in the playoffs. He doesnt have a prayer to make 30 goals this year. He wont be back next year.

Old
12-03-2009, 10:08 PM
r0bert8841

Send a message via AIM to r0bert8841
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordic View Post
Perhaps this is the time to ship Franzen. If we're lucky some team will overvalue him even though he's injured - and we need someone right now to even make the damn playoffs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtimerhockey View Post
The guy has slumped as the season progresses as he is in the twilight of his career. He could barely skate in the playoffs. He doesnt have a prayer to make 30 goals this year. He wont be back next year.
Holmstrom is leading the Red Wings in goals. He scores the "dirty goals" that are essential especially in the playoffs. And Datsyuk fits that same criteria you cited for Holmstrom, but Datsyuk is still going to be in the league next year?

r0bert8841 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2009, 10:17 PM
oldtimerhockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by r0bert8841 View Post

Holmstrom is leading the Red Wings in goals. He scores the "dirty goals" that are essential especially in the playoffs. And Datsyuk fits that same criteria you cited for Holmstrom, but Datsyuk is still going to be in the league next year?
How can you say that about Holmstrom??? He has 1 goal in 10 games. All that says is how bad everyone else is playing?

He went the last 19 playoff games WITHOUT a goal after scoring 14 goals in the regular season. He is 36 and his body is broken.

Datsyuk is 31 and slumping. Who knows, maybe he is starting a downward trend but I suspect this is just an off year point wise. Doesnt much matter when the team is struggling.