HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Halak for Cam Barker?

Old
12-04-2009, 03:21 PM
The Price is Right

vCash: 500
Halak for Cam Barker?

Would you do that?

The Price is Right is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2009, 03:23 PM
De Montreal
help

My honest opinion about trading backup: If you can get a player helping you for 82 games in exchange of a guy helping your team 25-30 games a season, do it

De Montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2009, 03:23 PM
subbanged
Gal-Sub-Price-Pacio

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Price is Right View Post
Would you do that?
Yes, but is there any truth to it or the same mindless dribble we've been hearing all year.

subbanged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2009, 03:24 PM
Patty Roy

With all due respect....what kind of fool wouldn't trade Halak for Barker?

Patty Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2009, 03:25 PM
Myron Gaines*
Trop Giou

why would blackhawks do that?

Myron Gaines* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
didouche
CHANGE is coming!!!!

LOL

sure the blackhawks would have to be under the influence + cap space...

jeezzz

didouche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

I still wouldn't. Barker is nothing special, and we don't really have any big needs on D IMHO. For the pricetag that Bergeron commands, I think we're ok with the cheaper/smaller version in Bergeron. Halak is more valuable to us as an insurance policy/future investment than Barker would be.

Although if Gainey was able to find takers for some of our pricier veteran D first, and was looking at more of a rebuild than I ever think he will, I'd think a little bit differently about it.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2009, 03:28 PM
shutehinside

I would do that in a jiffy. Unfortunately Stan Bowman wouldn't.

shutehinside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2009, 03:29 PM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rated R Superstar View Post
For sure they should have no motivation to do it now. But in the offseason, perhaps it's part of two birds with the same stone. Depends on how good they think Halak is, though. Barker is a $3M bottom-pairing defenseman for them, and they have a $5M 1A/1B starting goalie. So ultimately, replacing $8M with something more like $1.5M worth of a young 1A/1B goalie and a generic bottom-pairing defender *WOULD* make sense to them, given their looming payroll situation. In the off-season.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2009, 03:31 PM
FlyingKostitsyn

vCash: 827
I would in an instant.

I'd then look to trade one of Spacek, Mara, Gill or even Hamrlik if the return is good.

Not only is Barker a good and big LD, he's also young. This is great because all of our "close to NHL" D prospects are RD since we traded McD. Bennet looks great but he's still a long shot.

FlyingKostitsyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2009, 03:34 PM
Le depisteur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rated R Superstar View Post
I second...

Le depisteur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
JackZap

lets wait til he loses more value and trade him for a 2nd round pick

JackZap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post
For sure they should have no motivation to do it now. But in the offseason, perhaps it's part of two birds with the same stone. Depends on how good they think Halak is, though. Barker is a $3M bottom-pairing defenseman for them, and they have a $5M 1A/1B starting goalie. So ultimately, replacing $8M with something more like $1.5M worth of a young 1A/1B goalie and a generic bottom-pairing defender *WOULD* make sense to them, given their looming payroll situation. In the off-season.
Just back of the enveloping here, but don't the Montreal Canadiens have a looming payroll situation. Plekanec and Price need to be signed and if that gets done there certainly isn't a lot of room for a $3M add on.

Agnostic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2009, 03:37 PM
Patty Roy

Quote:
I still wouldn't. Barker is nothing special, and we don't really have any big needs on D IMHO. For the pricetag that Bergeron commands, I think we're ok with the cheaper/smaller version in Bergeron. Halak is more valuable to us as an insurance policy/future investment than Barker would be.

Although if Gainey was able to find takers for some of our pricier veteran D first, and was looking at more of a rebuild than I ever think he will, I'd think a little bit differently about it.
Really? You don't think we have big needs on D?

When everyone is healthy, we do have alot of d men under contract, but how many of them are any good? Looking ahead to next season, i dont see Mara and Bergeron coming back...and i wouldn't be surprised to see Gill get bought out. Outside of Markov, the Habs still dont have any kind of secondary scoring threat on the back end.

Barker is far from perfect...but he's a 6'3" 220 pound 23 year old defenceman who is established in this league and has already proven to be at least a 35-40 point d-man and that's also playing 2nd fiddle to guys like Campbell and Keith.

In Montreal, he would be a top 4 d-man playing tons of PP minutes for years to come. To me that is WELL worth giving up our backup goalie.

Old
12-04-2009, 03:39 PM
Myron Gaines*
Trop Giou

Quote:
Of course it would make sense for them in a payroll perspective, but they already have Antti Niemi who's considered their future goaltender and Huet is perhaps overpaid,but is doing very well and can secure a big brother role for them when Niemi takes over. I don't think they want a good young goaltender.

I think Halak has very high regards from Gainey and I wouldn't be surprised if he actually trades him to a team who truly needs a good young goaltender to do the starting job. That's if the offer is good obviously.

Old
12-04-2009, 03:41 PM
Patty Roy

Quote:
Originally Posted by earl the habs fan View Post
Just back of the enveloping here, but don't the Montreal Canadiens have a looming payroll situation. Plekanec and Price need to be signed and if that gets done there certainly isn't a lot of room for a $3M add on.
If we add Barker, then Mara and Bergeron certainly would not be back.

BGL and Gill are candidates to be bought out with only 1 year left on their deals.

It's not going to be easy, but at some point tough decisions will need to be made to try and get better.

Old
12-04-2009, 03:44 PM
alexstream

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Price is Right View Post
Would you do that?
Huet is doing good and Anti Niemi is doing way better than Halak as a backup.

you guys need to realise that Halaks is a dime a dozen. EVERY team has its Halak and some teams hire them as their starter:
Toronto with Toskala
Colorado last season with Budaj...

Sometimes, Halaks turn out well and they become Kiprusov or Vokoun... but that's 1 every 5 years.

Otherwise, Halak are what they are : young backups, pretending that they are starter, but not willing to be just a backup. When they have the opportunity to start for 5 games, they will shine, making you think that they can do that for a long time... however, they are still just backups and will likely choke under pressure or giveaway 20 foot long rebound, right on the tape of the opponent. And if you sit them for too long, they get frustrated and play like crap.

Halaks are best in an alternate starter system, for non playoffs team (that way, they never choke under pressure, there is no pressure to start with)
Best example being Minnesota with Fernandez-Halak and the other guy-Halak.

alexstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2009, 03:45 PM
De Montreal
help

Let's not trade Halak before Olympics. Maybe he'll have great Olympic and raises his value.

De Montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2009, 03:48 PM
mvp76

For the habs point of view sure..but Chicago's got a good inexpensive back-up in Niemi. May be the great team in front of him but he's still got 2 shutouts in 6 games while Huet has got 1.

mvp76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2009, 03:48 PM
Myron Gaines*
Trop Giou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceux de Montreal View Post
Let's not trade Halak before Olympics. Maybe he'll have great Olympic and raises his value.
Bon point Jacques, bon point.

However if we get a good offer before that, I'm all for making it happen.

Old
12-04-2009, 03:51 PM
ppil

Huet 21gp - 13V - 5L - 2OTL - ,909 - 2.16
Niemi 6gp - 4V - 1L - 1OTL - ,921 - 1.85

Halak 10gp 5V - 4L - 0OTL - ,894 - 2.99

Sure they need Halak?

ppil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2009, 03:55 PM
Patty Roy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppil View Post
Huet 21gp - 13V - 5L - 2OTL - ,909 - 2.16
Niemi 6gp - 4V - 1L - 1OTL - ,921 - 1.85

Halak 10gp 5V - 4L - 0OTL - ,894 - 2.99

Sure they need Halak?
Those stats are completely meaningless....however i do agree that i dont see the Hawks needing Halak. If they really want to upgrade their goaltending for this season they would want someone a little more proven.

Old
12-04-2009, 03:59 PM
OneSharpMarble

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexstream View Post
Huet is doing good and Anti Niemi is doing way better than Halak as a backup.

you guys need to realise that Halaks is a dime a dozen. EVERY team has its Halak and some teams hire them as their starter:
Toronto with Toskala
Colorado last season with Budaj...

Sometimes, Halaks turn out well and they become Kiprusov or Vokoun... but that's 1 every 5 years.

Otherwise, Halak are what they are : young backups, pretending that they are starter, but not willing to be just a backup. When they have the opportunity to start for 5 games, they will shine, making you think that they can do that for a long time... however, they are still just backups and will likely choke under pressure or giveaway 20 foot long rebound, right on the tape of the opponent. And if you sit them for too long, they get frustrated and play like crap.

Halaks are best in an alternate starter system, for non playoffs team (that way, they never choke under pressure, there is no pressure to start with)
Best example being Minnesota with Fernandez-Halak and the other guy-Halak.
It has been scientifically proven under the right circumstances and mental strain a Halaks skull will literally pop like a balloon whereas a much more "western" skull will relieve stress with its built in vents. Fits of crying and explosive diarrehea are also common in Halaks as they should be kept in a air tight "bubble" with little to no exposure to lights or camera flashes.

When you take your Halak out of its intrinsically sealed room make sure you give it their 27 daily vaccination shots as they are incredibly susceptable to the common cold, tetanus, crazy eye, club foot and flesh eating disease among others. With proper care and 24 hour protection you too can grow your very own Halak.

OneSharpMarble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2009, 04:01 PM
ppil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patty Roy View Post
Those stats are completely meaningless....however i do agree that i dont see the Hawks needing Halak. If they really want to upgrade their goaltending for this season they would want someone a little more proven.
True, and the fact that they have a better team help a lot. But I should have explained myself better, I thought the stats talked by themselves.

They are stuck with Huet and his contract for a couple of years, and Niemi seems to be really good, and some Hawks fans would like him to play a lot more, so I don't Halak being a real upgrade for them.

ppil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2009, 04:24 PM
Miller Time

Quote:

don't totally disagree with your reasoning, but I'd still do that move in a heartbeat.

as an asset, Barker (quite likely) has considerably more value league wide than Halak does, so even if the move doesn't really make us much better in the short-term given our roster, it would give us a better asset to move later on, hopefully to improve another area of the team.

that said, even in the short term I think the move makes us better. Barker, although he hasn't been great/lived up to his top 3 selection, is still only 23, very gifted offensively, and will continue to improve.
Halak, while still improving as well, is stuck behind Price, and I'm inclined to think that his patience with being the defacto #2 will start to wear thin in the near future.

all of this is moot though, cuz i would be shocked to see the Hawks give him up for a back-up goalie that isn't a clear upgrade on the two guys they already have...

Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote