HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Take these broken wings ... Oilers 4, Wings 1

Old
12-04-2009, 11:45 AM
frag2

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dashingsilverfox View Post
Pronger missed 16 games in 06/07 while Visnovsky missed 32 games last season.
Not a good comparable.
Pronger missed a lot of games prior to lockout, a period he was deemed elite enough to win the Hart but when he got to the Oilers, he was just a good mean defensemen that may have problems adjusting and injury trouble. Was it the injuries or the fact he's going to play for the Oilers that dropped his status, you never know.

frag2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2009, 12:12 PM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 7000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol' Jase View Post
Hey, I'm calling it as I see it, and what I see is yet another thread hijacking based around slagging a current Oiler that has completely choked off the original intent of the thread. Add to that the usual behavior of the usual suspect, and it is what it is.

Anyway, Smid and Visnovsky were just great tonight, IMO. It was also great to see JDD have a bounce back game, one he really needed.

Regardless of the Red Wings "condition" we looked really good tonight. Considering how dire we have been on the road so far this season, I hope the boys can build off this win a bit.
He was excellent. JFJ and Stone were outstanding as well. Stortini had a very good game too. Even Gilbert had a good game. The team was flying in the first, had a little letdown and ran around a bit in the second and came back pretty strong in the third.

Yes we benefited from a couple of bounces (own goals) but we were due. Maybe O'Sullivan can gain some confidence from last night. Also Brule and Penner are great together. Brule is looking more and more like a good acquisition. I wasnt a fan of his but he has won me over.

Oh and I think Quinn must be listening Replacement, he took your advice and called a TO.

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2009, 12:14 PM
Lounge Act*

Typical of them to win big when you want them to tank. Oh well - still 4 road games to go

Lounge Act* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2009, 12:24 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
He was excellent. JFJ and Stone were outstanding as well. Stortini had a very good game too. Even Gilbert had a good game. The team was flying in the first, had a little letdown and ran around a bit in the second and came back pretty strong in the third.

Yes we benefited from a couple of bounces (own goals) but we were due. Maybe O'Sullivan can gain some confidence from last night. Also Brule and Penner are great together. Brule is looking more and more like a good acquisition. I wasnt a fan of his but he has won me over.

Oh and I think Quinn must be listening Replacement, he took your advice and called a TO.
heh. Yep.

You noticed that too. Wings had pressure on and nearly scored to tie and I thought it was a good time for a Timeout.

Its possible that it changed the outcome of the game. We played well again after the TO.

Replacement is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2009, 12:55 PM
Giant Moo

Not sure why Hemsky's being dumped on...

Anyway, it was an ugly game. U-G-L-Y it ain't got no al-i-bi. The Wings sealed it with those two own goals (and the second was really pathetic). This was a free pass in just about every sense. Nothing's really changed.

Giant Moo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2009, 01:44 PM
theranfordflop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giant Moo View Post
Not sure why Hemsky's being dumped on...

Anyway, it was an ugly game. U-G-L-Y it ain't got no al-i-bi. The Wings sealed it with those two own goals (and the second was really pathetic). This was a free pass in just about every sense. Nothing's really changed.
How so? Regardless of those own goals, the Oilers had a ton of opportunities, and were extremely disciplined through the neutral zone going both ways.

It was a good game.

Oh wait the Oilers won, I guess that means the other team dressed the cast of Livin' Single instead of a hockey team.

theranfordflop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2009, 01:54 PM
Giant Moo

Quote:
Originally Posted by theranfordflop View Post
How so? Regardless of those own goals, the Oilers had a ton of opportunities, and were extremely disciplined through the neutral zone going both ways.

It was a good game.

Oh wait the Oilers won, I guess that means the other team dressed the cast of Livin' Single instead of a hockey team.
The gaffes that led to the goals against weren't pretty. And there was still far too much slap-it-around-the-boards-and-make-it-someone-else's-problem going on.

Balanced out with Jacques' human train impression and Nilsson's sick move and the game gets a grade of "C+" from me, Must Try Harder.

Old
12-04-2009, 02:02 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:

It was a good game.

Wings got one goal, and were lucky to get it with under a second left in the first. Other than that its a shutout.

Pretty good road game if you ask me even if we got a couple gifts we played well defensively last night.

Oilers were the better team on the night. I'll take it.

Replacement is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2009, 02:06 PM
frag2

Quote:
The gaffes that led to the goals against weren't pretty. And there was still far too much slap-it-around-the-boards-and-make-it-someone-else's-problem going on.

Balanced out with Jacques' human train impression and Nilsson's sick move and the game gets a grade of "C+" from me, Must Try Harder.
I got the same feeling-we won but at the same time, could've gone either way except we made the most out of our chances.

I still want to tank just for the sake of top 3 pick.

frag2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2009, 02:11 PM
I am the Liquor

Quote:

I thought our D moved the puck out of our zone a lot quicker than they have been in past games. I am very frustrated with our d zone system though. Pretty sure that is Renney's responsibility and it looks an awful lot like Mact's passive system. It does nothing but get us hemmed in for long stretches.

Too much reaching with the stick and not enough finishing of checks. They need to be more aggressive and engage the man and forget about the puck in the d zone. I hope it changes but I dont think it will. Nice to see a much more aggressive forecheck but we need to couple it with more pressure on the opposition in our own end.

Old
12-04-2009, 02:31 PM
theranfordflop

Quote:
I thought our D moved the puck out of our zone a lot quicker than they have been in past games. I am very frustrated with our d zone system though. Pretty sure that is Renney's responsibility and it looks an awful lot like Mact's passive system. It does nothing but get us hemmed in for long stretches.

Too much reaching with the stick and not enough finishing of checks. They need to be more aggressive and engage the man and forget about the puck in the d zone. I hope it changes but I dont think it will. Nice to see a much more aggressive forecheck but we need to couple it with more pressure on the opposition in our own end.
I'm really not sure how this is so. We got hemmed in a few times, but that was by the Zetterberg line! I mean... They're going to play their cycle game, it's not going to be 100% stops every time. It's the freaking Wings.

The Oilers were worlds better coverage wise last night, and they've been showing steady improvement throughout the season. Fewer in-zone giveaways, fewer giveaways from behind the goal line.

As always, it's a process. So far so good imo.

theranfordflop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2009, 02:34 PM
I am the Liquor

Quote:
I'm really not sure how this is so. We got hemmed in a few times, but that was by the Zetterberg line! I mean... They're going to play their cycle game, it's not going to be 100% stops every time. It's the freaking Wings.

The Oilers were worlds better coverage wise last night, and they've been showing steady improvement throughout the season. Fewer in-zone giveaways, fewer giveaways from behind the goal line.

Make a note of it and watch for it in the next couple of games. Outside of Souray, Strudwick, Staois and maybe Stortini, JFJ, and Stone, its one big poke check party out there.

Old
12-04-2009, 02:46 PM
Giant Moo

Quote:
Make a note of it and watch for it in the next couple of games. Outside of Souray, Strudwick, Staois and maybe Stortini, JFJ, and Stone, its one big poke check party out there.
Back when Comrie was healthy, I noticed he actually was quite smart physically. He would time his check to hit and then push off the other player to separate him from the puck. Saw it more than once... but not in a while, unfortunately.

Old
12-04-2009, 02:50 PM
hockeyaddict101

Quote:

I also completely disagree. Any team in any game is going to hem ANY team in their own zone during the course of a game.

That was IMO the most complete road game they played all season. Sure there were flukey goals for, but how many times have the Oilers had flukey goals against?

That is hockey.

Quinn hasn't complimented a win all season long and actually was happy with this game. I think that speaks volumes.

Secondly we were in 15th place going in. Any team should give us difficulty!

hockeyaddict101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2009, 03:24 PM
Oilfan2
Oil the way..

vCash: 1507
Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
heh. Yep.

You noticed that too. Wings had pressure on and nearly scored to tie and I thought it was a good time for a Timeout.

Its possible that it changed the outcome of the game. We played well again after the TO.
I wouldn't gloat too much on that one. The timeout was called because the Oilers iced the puck and had a tired lineup on the ice. They've done that, as have other teams, a few times already this year.
However, you were right in calling Quinn out the other night. He should have called a timeout when the team was running around.

Oilfan2 is online now   Reply With Quote