HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Wild Defeat Rangers 9-1

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
09-22-2003, 06:46 AM
  #26
Laperriere22*
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: CO
Country: Denmark
Posts: 3,875
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarioinDenver
Well that certainly isn't DeVries' strength. That's a setting him up for disspointment as an aquisition at that cost.

How did you see the game Lap, was it on a cable broadcast in Denver?
It was on Fox Sports Detroit; saw it via DirecTV's sports package.

There isn't much about the Rangers that plays to de Vries' strengths. They already have two guys that are loads better than Greg going forward in Leetch and Poti and he's not the defensive defensemen most people assume he is either. What I do know is that he's crap when he goes forward all the time. He's better when picking his spots and with Poti as your partner, he'll have to pick his spots. It's not ideal, but there really isn't an ideal tandem to be had with de Vries on the Rangers.

Laperriere22* is offline  
Old
09-22-2003, 08:14 AM
  #27
Vlad The Impaler
Registered User
 
Vlad The Impaler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Montreal
Posts: 11,726
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by patp77
That's right, we all know that whoever scores 9 goals in the preseason is going to win the Stanley Cup now, don't we?
No, we don't know that. At that point, pretty much all I know is I already dislike you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by patp77
Seriously though.. I think the obvious point being made was that Preseason is not going to dictate how teams will perform in the regular season. Or was that point to difficult for you to grasp so you had to point out the obvious that people "do" care about the preseason.
Huh, junior. I think I was grasping that fact, thank you very much. It also happens that I am grasping the fact that with the difference between playoff-bound teams and non-playoff teams being sometimes as small as ZERO points, it might be a good idea to use pre-season as a gauge, to try line combinations, to try new players, to try new systems, to get new coaches in the groove.

In other words, for preparation without wasting points.


Quote:
Originally Posted by patp77
This is the time where teams fiddle around with their lines, prospects and just prepare for the regular season. If anything, it means certain players are deciding their fate (of being sent back to the AHL) more than the team's fate.
Which is why I DO care about preseason. I do not see game results as totally meaningless either. True, they are not going to determine a Cup winner. Neither will a 5-game or even a 10-game segment in the regular season either, BTW.

Hope that wasn't too difficult to grasp.

PS: Heck, in fact, come to think of it, the ENTIRE regular season will not determine the winner of Stanley. Perhaps it's all meaningless and we should cut to the chase and only have playoffs.

Vlad The Impaler is offline  
Old
09-22-2003, 08:45 AM
  #28
Surly Furious
Registered User
 
Surly Furious's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: frozen north
Posts: 6,948
vCash: 528
Preseason can be important as a tone setter for the regular season. Last year the Wild went unbeaten in the preseason (8-0?), and it set the tone for their great first half run. I'm sure it's also quite important to the players that are trying to break in, and for coaches to evaluate personnel. 9 goals is significant for the Wild because it shows Alan Walsh that the Wild still have a bit of offense even with his clients holding out. :mad:

Surly Furious is offline  
Old
09-22-2003, 08:49 AM
  #29
The Frugal Gourmet
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: New York, New York
Posts: 2,529
vCash: 500
Actually, a lot of ex-NHL'ers are in favor of stemming the preseason.I've heard a few say in interviews and such that in the old days it was really necessary to have a long preseason because players came into camp from the summer relatively out-of-shape. But, that hardly every happens now, as these players stay in shape all offseason (which really isn't very long).

Preseason is a great time to try out different players, lines, strategies, etc., but some former players just think it's too long. The season (including the postseason) is already so long it's difficult for hockey to hold people's interests.

There is a growing cadre of former players and fans who wish to shorten preseason.


As far as the Wild defeat of the Rangers, I would hesitate to read much into it (obviously). This kind of thing happens in preseason just about every year, and it's interesting to see how individuals performed .. but -- sadly -- the Rangers will probably not lose 9-1 when they play the Wild next.

The Frugal Gourmet is offline  
Old
09-22-2003, 08:52 AM
  #30
The Frugal Gourmet
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: New York, New York
Posts: 2,529
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookman
Preseason can be important as a tone setter for the regular season. Last year the Wild went unbeaten in the preseason (8-0?), and it set the tone for their great first half run. I'm sure it's also quite important to the players that are trying to break in, and for coaches to evaluate personnel. 9 goals is significant for the Wild because it shows Alan Walsh that the Wild still have a bit of offense even with his clients holding out. :mad:
Yeah, but didn't Buffalo do that same thing one or two seasons again and were just AWFUL in the regular season? I believe their offense looked fantastic during the preseason too and turned out to be very unspectacular when the regular season came around.

Also, the last Wings team to win the Stanely Cup had some very shakey preseason games. They probably didn't have a single stretch in the regular season where they looked that shakey.

I think it depends on the team... some veterans tend to kind of coast through the preseason. Teams with a lot of young players work their butts off because their jobs depend on it.

The Frugal Gourmet is offline  
Old
09-22-2003, 09:51 AM
  #31
Vlad The Impaler
Registered User
 
Vlad The Impaler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Montreal
Posts: 11,726
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Frugal Gourmet
Actually, a lot of ex-NHL'ers are in favor of stemming the preseason.I've heard a few say in interviews and such that in the old days it was really necessary to have a long preseason because players came into camp from the summer relatively out-of-shape. But, that hardly every happens now, as these players stay in shape all offseason (which really isn't very long).

Preseason is a great time to try out different players, lines, strategies, etc., but some former players just think it's too long. The season (including the postseason) is already so long it's difficult for hockey to hold people's interests.

There is a growing cadre of former players and fans who wish to shorten preseason.
The whole thing (Summer camps, training camps, scrimmages, pre-season games, looong regular season and playoffs) is too long, IMO. Particularly for the teenagers and the older veterans.

In my opinion, the main culprit is the regular season. Something around 70 games instead of 80+ would be welcomed. There would be even more of a sense of urgency right from the start, the season would be shorter so we wouldn't be having playoffs dragging almost to the freaking summer.

Pre-season games may also be a problem but it is a smaller one. Right now pre-season lasts a little under three weeks. You can perhaps cut this down to two weeks but it is still very important, IMO.

It is no wonder that kids take time to develop. It's pretty difficult to put weight and hone your skills at the same time at this level right now. As a result, rookies are having less of an impact in general. It also takes years for some to put on the weight and develop the strength required at this level.

Vlad The Impaler is offline  
Old
09-22-2003, 11:03 AM
  #32
ceber
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Wyoming, MN
Country: United States
Posts: 3,500
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlad The Impaler
In my opinion, the main culprit is the regular season. Something around 70 games instead of 80+ would be welcomed. There would be even more of a sense of urgency right from the start, the season would be shorter so we wouldn't be having playoffs dragging almost to the freaking summer.
I'd like to see this. Perhaps with some sort of 'cost certainty' the owners would be willing to do it.

ceber is offline  
Old
09-22-2003, 11:55 AM
  #33
Vlad The Impaler
Registered User
 
Vlad The Impaler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Montreal
Posts: 11,726
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ceber
I'd like to see this. Perhaps with some sort of 'cost certainty' the owners would be willing to do it.
We're a long way from there, most probably.

They love everyone of those 41 home games and are holding on to them dearly. Especially in a 30-team league. It is weird to think that not so long ago, only 5 teams didn't make it in the playoffs and now it's 14.

With roughly half the league not making the playoffs, the owners are in a situation where regular season home games are golden for many franchises each year.

Still, I hope one day economics will be healthy so that decisions regarding scheduling will be taken for the good of the sport overall, not just to milk the cow :p

Vlad The Impaler is offline  
Old
09-22-2003, 01:00 PM
  #34
Ghost of Dale Hunter
Registered User
 
Ghost of Dale Hunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Buffalo
Country: United States
Posts: 1,375
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaborikRules10!!!
http://www.wild.com/index.cfm?sectio...cont_id=130172

Wild beat down the Rags 9 to 1. Zholtok, Brander and Foy all had 2 goals a piece.

At least the Rangers are consistent.

Ghost of Dale Hunter is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:29 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.