HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

O'Byrne calls out Komisarek?

Old
12-05-2009, 08:01 AM
All-Star

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrojanHab View Post
I wonder what will happen if Obyrne leaves one day for more bucks???
Then he'll be an viewed as overrated bum and a traitor to Habs fans, and to all the other teams' fans, he'll be seen as the second coming. You know: business as usual here at HFBoards...

All-Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2009, 08:44 AM
shutehinside

OB is the consomate team player. From purse snatching to help a team mate to sticking up for them on the ice. There's no way he respects Komi on any level.

He's turning into quite the player. Keep it up OB!

shutehinside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2009, 09:03 AM
YMCMBeaulieu
A$AP MICHEL

Quote:
Originally Posted by shutehinside View Post
OB is the consomate team player. From purse snatching to help a team mate to sticking up for them on the ice. There's no way he respects Komi on any level.

He's turning into quite the player. Keep it up OB!
Also when they team already had 6 NHL defensemen signed he didn't complain or anything in the summer about not having a spot in the opening day lineup, he just worked his ass off and came into training camp in awesome shape and has been arguably one of our most improved players.

YMCMBeaulieu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2009, 09:17 AM
CanadienErrant*

Quote:
Originally Posted by A1 View Post
I thought he was going to take #8, it looks just like #3 and single digits look good on D-men.

Is there any reason he had to choose between 8, 20, 28?
He always said that he liked number 2.

He played with number 20 in Hamilton too

CanadienErrant* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2009, 09:43 AM
E = CH²

Listening to O'byrne in that interview and watching his improvement this year warms me up to the guy a lot. Possibly the type of guy you want to ink long term. Not for a crazy amount but something that would be nice for both parties.

E = CH² is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2009, 09:46 AM
CanadienErrant*

Quote:
Originally Posted by E = CH² View Post
Listening to O'byrne in that interview and watching his improvement this year warms me up to the guy a lot. Possibly the type of guy you want to ink long term. Not for a crazy amount but something that would be nice for both parties.
Him and Gorges should be mainstays on the Habs blueline for years to come. Gainey, hopefully, will re-sign them before they can become UFA.

CanadienErrant* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2009, 09:54 AM
habtastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrojanHab View Post
I wonder what will happen if Obyrne leaves one day for more bucks???

Anyways, I really think players really like playing in Mtl. The problem is the media and the cold. I personally think Komi was fed up with the French media like guys on Anti-chambre and 110% writing awful things about him on the newspapers. This is why he left. Money was also a incentive. However, TO fans will soon discover that he isn't worth the 4.5 million.

Toronto seems to copy us in every way. They stole our industries, they are trying to steal our festivals, they kinda didn't want the Expos even though they were the first canadian baseball team and now they steal Habs players. TO is nothing more than a Mtl wannabe.
I don't think it's any secret that Montreal is the city with flavour and toronto has always been the uptight bland wannabe "global city" and I now basically live in toronto. cool city, lots of "stuff" but when I go back home, there's just nothing like it. And everyone I know from Toronto who's lived in Montreal says the same. Ok, a little OT, but wannabes in life, and hockey especially FOR SURE.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadienErrant View Post
He always said that he liked number 2.

He played with number 20 in Hamilton too
In the past two years in NHL (EA), his default number is always 2. Would it be that hard to add an extra programming to filter out retired numbers from a team's profile (which you could manually undo if you needed to)?

have to say, I hated him all of last year and I take it ALLLLL back + he is great in interviews as well. Very interesting conversation and seems like a great guy in keeping with how his teammates have regarded him.

Last edited by Habs10Habs: 12-05-2009 at 12:23 PM. Reason: Merge
habtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2009, 10:28 AM
Mister Potato

We have in Ryan O'Byrne our Chris Pronger guys, solid and punishing D and now he has the same number jersey as well

Mister Potato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2009, 10:39 AM
habtastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by habstinator View Post
We have in Ryan O'Byrne our Chris Pronger guys, solid and punishing D and now he has the same number jersey as well
I hope if he gets married it's to a Montrealer, not some overtanned biotch

habtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2009, 10:42 AM
Taupy

Quote:
Originally Posted by habstinator View Post
Now if he could only have the passing ability from Pronger...

Taupy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2009, 10:49 AM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

I have no idea what O'Byrne was thinking when he made this comment, but one possibility is that Komisarek once had the team's respect, but has lost it since morphing into a rival headhunting assclown .

Agnostic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2009, 10:53 AM
Turtleneck Plek
Real Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babyfart McGeezax View Post
Now if he could only have the passing ability from Pronger...
Give him some time, there's hope.

It really is fantastic how much OB has improved since last year. Especially his poise with the puck. It's still not perfect, but it's far better than the Own-Goal-OB we had last year. I also think the guy has some (limited) untapped offensive potential. Just that play against the Pens the other night where Fleury robbed him with the glove, that showed. If he could work on his shot and passing game during the summer (and I'm sure that's on the program, since his defensive game is starting to round out quite well), he could become a BEAST. Let's hope he keeps it up, O'Byrne rocks.

Turtleneck Plek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2009, 11:05 AM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigger77 View Post
That's because the OP is reading into things that are not there if you ask me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 22481611
Seems pretty clear that he's taking a little jab at him.

Calling him ''Mister'' goes hand in hand with what the rumor that many players felt he walked with his head a little too high.

Even the journalists laugh it up. When he firmly states that he's a different guy, it's obvious he doesn't think too highly of him.

It's nothing big, just a little jab, but it's definitely there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Souvenirs View Post
I know Komisarek switched to the Maple Leafs and now everyone is hard on him (it's expected when a player goes purposefully to a hated rival) but I don't see why people are pretending that he had any beef with the players/organization and that he's an ass. While we weren't in the dressing room everyone knows that he was probably the next captain, and his teammates only had great things to say about him.

I understand the fan's reaction to him now but we shouldn't try and make up that he was an ******* and that everyone hated him just to make ourselves feel better.

He went to the Leafs for the money,yeah it sucks but our very own Gionta did the same.
I have a hard time understanding why one who's ''looked'' upon as our next Captain and was absolutely adored by fans, would leave town only to sign with one of our nemesis. This, only for .500K/y more.
Furthermore, he contacted the Bruins himself first!..Which is even worst.

Not only is it a major slap in the face of the org. and its fans, but it's also one to your ex-teammates.

I mean, if the Habs hadn't offered him a contract, I'd get it.
If the Leafs came gunning for him with 4-5M more on the contract, I'd get it.
If he wasn't a big important part of the team, I'd get it.

I've never seen one player go from future captain of one team, to probable captain of its nemesis the following year (for very little more money).

I think it's a big slap in the fact to compare a Mtl-Tor rivalry to NJ-NYR one.
And Gomez left because there was no way NJ was going to go as high as the Rangers did.

Even if Komi was respected by his teammates last year, he sure isn't anymore.

Kriss E is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2009, 11:35 AM
Souvenirs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
Seems pretty clear that he's taking a little jab at him.

Calling him ''Mister'' goes hand in hand with what the rumor that many players felt he walked with his head a little too high.

Even the journalists laugh it up. When he firmly states that he's a different guy, it's obvious he doesn't think too highly of him.

It's nothing big, just a little jab, but it's definitely there.

I have a hard time understanding why one who's ''looked'' upon as our next Captain and was absolutely adored by fans, would leave town only to sign with one of our nemesis. This, only for .500K/y more.
Furthermore, he contacted the Bruins himself first!..Which is even worst.

Not only is it a major slap in the face of the org. and its fans, but it's also one to your ex-teammates.

I mean, if the Habs hadn't offered him a contract, I'd get it.
If the Leafs came gunning for him with 4-5M more on the contract, I'd get it.
If he wasn't a big important part of the team, I'd get it.

I've never seen one player go from future captain of one team, to probable captain of its nemesis the following year (for very little more money).

I think it's a big slap in the fact to compare a Mtl-Tor rivalry to NJ-NYR one.
And Gomez left because there was no way NJ was going to go as high as the Rangers did.

Even if Komi was respected by his teammates last year, he sure isn't anymore.
Of course he's not respected anymore. After turning his back to Montreal + the way he acted in the first game of the season, we can only expect that. I'm just saying that him pulling this stuff in the off-season / new season doesn't take away the seasons he spent with us. It's only because he's a Leaf now that people try to invent him a new personality. All the ''yeah he's an ass hole and everyone hated him and he has a huge ego'' BS people post here is only an attempt to feel better because they're still bitter about where Komisarek signed.

Souvenirs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2009, 12:06 PM
ROEN
HabsHQ

loved his hit yesterday

ROEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2009, 12:19 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Souvenirs View Post
Of course he's not respected anymore. After turning his back to Montreal + the way he acted in the first game of the season, we can only expect that. I'm just saying that him pulling this stuff in the off-season / new season doesn't take away the seasons he spent with us. It's only because he's a Leaf now that people try to invent him a new personality. All the ''yeah he's an ass hole and everyone hated him and he has a huge ego'' BS people post here is only an attempt to feel better because they're still bitter about where Komisarek signed.
Of course it has everything to do with the Off Season. That's when he showed his disloyalty.
After seeing that, people will start to think about every little thing that happened during the season to pile it up on him, like the Lappy incident.

Just like when Ribs left, people said it had to do with Koivu and him not seeing eye to eye because of their fight.

Maybe the BS is true, maybe it isn't. One thing for sure, I'll never understand how someone who's supposedly loved by all and see as the future captain, can turn around on all this love only to sign with the nemesis for 500K/y.
I'm not saying all the BS is true, but I'm sure it wasn't all green like most fans thought.

Kriss E is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2009, 12:36 PM
GoHabsGO252006

I was very critical of O'b two years ago and truly did not expect him to make such large strides so quickly. He is very solid out there and if we all remember he was not even in the top 6 to start the year, now I have no problem saying he is top 4. And on top of that, while he may be a bit less physical I think he has been much better than Komisarek was last year.

Better outlet passes better instincts better consistency, less glaring errors. He has made himself an important part of this team for a long time to come.

GoHabsGO252006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2009, 12:38 PM
Ceux de Montreal
help

I still wish we had re-signed Komisarek long-time for cheap when we had the chance, before the ASG.

Markov - Komisarek
Hamrlik - Spacek
Gorges - O'Byrne

Ceux de Montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2009, 12:52 PM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by All-Star View Post
Then he'll be an viewed as overrated bum and a traitor to Habs fans, and to all the other teams' fans, he'll be seen as the second coming. You know: business as usual here at HFBoards...
Funny how character changes when you leave ehh. Mark Recchi became a bad guy, Shane Corson was evil.

Quote:
Originally Posted by earl the habs fan View Post
I have no idea what O'Byrne was thinking when he made this comment, but one possibility is that Komisarek once had the team's respect, but has lost it since morphing into a rival headhunting assclown .
well, there is that.

Last edited by Habs10Habs: 12-05-2009 at 01:21 PM. Reason: Merge
mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2009, 01:58 PM
Serious HABit

lol love obyrne

Serious HABit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2009, 12:58 AM
Mr. Hab

Why was O'Byrne RESTRICTED to #8 or #20 or #28...?? (no fun for O'By! ).

Not that important, but I would have loved it if O'Byrne chose a single digit number (ex: Rick Green's former #5, or #6, heck...even #8...it's not like Komisarek ever came close to retiring that number!!).

Would have been funny if he took the famous #77!! (Bourque and several other Hall of Fame dmen used it, can't remember the others for now...).

Last edited by Mr. Hab: 12-06-2009 at 01:20 AM.
Mr. Hab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2009, 01:24 AM
FlyingKostitsyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Hab View Post

Not that important, but I would have loved it if O'Byrne chose a single digit number (ex: Rick Green's former #5, or #6, heck...even #8...it's not like Komisarek ever came close to retiring that number!!).

Would have been funny if he took the famous #77!! (Bourque and several other Hall of Fame dmen used it, can't remember the others for now...).
Number 5 is retired (Geoffrion, how could you forget?)
Number 6 is Spacek
Number 8 is "mister" Komisarek
Number 77 is awesome but O'Byrne would have to be tremendously pretentious to claim it. He's not.

So its obvious his choices with the early numbers were limited at best. No 20 is fine, its O'Byrne's now.

FlyingKostitsyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2009, 01:26 AM
Phousse

Quote:

Wow, where to start.

He wasn't restricted to those numbers, those are just the numbers he thought of picking from.

He couldn't pick #5 because it was retired for Bernie Geoffrion and he couldn't pick #6 because it's currently being worn by Jaroslav Spacek.

Come on, man.

Phousse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2009, 01:28 AM
Stephen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
Calling your ex-teammate who's only a few years older as ''Mister'' and then saying ''I'm a different person'', isn't meant in a respectful way.
The jab is quite clear..
Well of course O'Byrne is different. He steals women's purses.

Stephen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2009, 01:33 AM
benji
Took too much, man.

Send a message via MSN to benji
Quote:

Just saying...either listening to the interview, or reading quickly through this thread, would have given you the information that O'Byrne could have picked in the higher numbers if he wanted to, but settled for #20. He even explained that he wore #2 in college, so he's very satisfied with 20.

All that being said, I don't see why O'Byrne didn't go for #9?

benji is offline   Reply With Quote