HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rangers 12/3 Practice-AA on the 1st line,Redden still hurting - Heikkinen called up

Old
12-04-2009, 05:13 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 50
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by offdacrossbar View Post
lol.

so we agree then, higgins suks.

even still, who ever those stats belong to is just slightly better than higgy.

Offensively, maybe. But part of what Trxjw is saying is that Higgins is a lot more than just a finesse forward who skates fast. So yeah, if you focus solely on offensive statistics, Higgins has been awful...but he can at least do other things, which is why he's playing every night while the "other guy" watches from the press box.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2009, 05:21 PM
Radek27

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Radek27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn Ranger View Post
I doubt Sauer had any value before the latest injury. Plus, Hartford needs defensemen, so having him in the system solves one issue at least.
Bah Hartford! Not what 2nd round picks are for. So there is no chance we can even get a mid pick for this guy I guess.....

Radek27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2009, 05:31 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by offdacrossbar View Post
lol.

so we agree then, higgins suks.

even still, who ever those stats belong to is just slightly better than higgy.

Agree? What part of "your definition" says "I agree?"

"Slightly better" than what you consider to "suk" is still lousy. The only difference between Higgins and the other player who's stats I mentioned, is that Higgins has 3 20+ goal seasons to his credit, while the other has none.

Though I'm sure Enver Lisin will be happy to know his biggest fan now thinks he "suk"s and is in the same group of lousy forwards as Chris Higgins.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2009, 11:13 PM
HockeyBurd*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
But you'd be a better GM, which is really what matters.

I'm not saying there isn't a chance he finishes the season with crap numbers, I'm saying it's dumb to say "Oh, that's just what he is" after he's been anything but in the past.

If a guy has 3 20+ goal seasons, an abbreviated season with 12 due to injuries, and a quarter of a season with lousy numbers, what's the probability that he's actually a 4 or 5 goal scorer? Anyone playing the odds would take that into account.

26 games, in comparison to 200+... it makes no sense.
Ok, but the point is that you disregard evaluating this player and what he will do based on "only" 26 games. In a different environment he was a proven 20 goal scorer. That's true. But his season to this point isn't an aberration. He's limited in ability. And he's on a team with limited "complimentary" players.

I'm sure things will balance out. If things go well for him, he'll eventually pop in 15 goals or so. My only point is that he has been healthy to this point and been given ample playing time in all situations. You can comfortably make assumptions on how this season is likely to go for him based on what has been seen thus far. Obviously something may change drastically as they often do. But it's perfectly fair to make some safe assumptions about Higgins after these 26 games.

Personally I wouldn't trade him unless it was for good value.

HockeyBurd* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2009, 11:59 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radek27 View Post
Bah Hartford! Not what 2nd round picks are for. So there is no chance we can even get a mid pick for this guy I guess.....
I hear you. But now Sauer's just another prospect who hasn't developed as hoped. Probably the best on the trade front we can hope for is another questionable prospect who needs a fresh start. And too, playing in the AHL isn't bad all things considered--Sauer gets paid to do something he really likes to do. Hartford needs players too.

Brooklyn Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2009, 12:17 AM
NYR Viper

Quote:
At this point he has more value to the Rangers than I would imagine he would have elsewhere. Just because he is 22 and still in the AHL doesnt mean he is a bust, most d-men take longer to develop than forwards, especially with his injuries that have set him back. He is close as is right now and it gives Sather a back-up plan in case of injury or trade.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2009, 07:57 AM
Leslie Treff
Hockey's Future Staff

Guys, Sauer is not a bust. He is 22 and getting more and more solid as time goes on. His play does not suit what Torts was looking for coming into the season, but that does not mean he won't get a call at some point later in the season, or that the Rangers as an organization are totally unhappy. He has had injury issues his entire career, but is close to ready. Give it time.

This is definitely a different situation than with Potter, who is almost 26. Potter was scouted during the pre-season, but there was no interest. Not sure that the Rangers can get anything for him.

Leslie Treff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2009, 11:29 AM
94now

Quote:

Sauer will be the next call up.

It will take time for Sather to realize that he had to pay Semenov more to keep him from going to Moscow.

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2009, 11:32 AM
js10

Rangers have so many average players and just one star player, so all average players look actually below average when comparing to the one. The one can't go down, so it is only for all the other ones to step it up.

js10 is offline   Reply With Quote