HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Arizona Coyotes
Notices

Ducks 4, Coyotes 3

Closed Thread

Old
09-21-2003, 07:31 PM
PhoPhan

vCash: 500
Ducks 4, Coyotes 3

On the positive side, Savage had two goals (hope he doesn't peak this early) and Spiller added one of his own. Assists went to Bezina and Hrdina on the first goal, Gratton and Cleary on the second, and Taffe and Suchy on the third. If someone said to you maybe 5 years ago that Gratton, Cleary and Savage would be on a line together, you'd probably have a much different reaction than you do now. Also, Boucher stopped 17 of 18 and Pelletier stopped 14 of 17.

Old
09-22-2003, 05:14 AM
eye

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoPhan
On the positive side, Savage had two goals (hope he doesn't peak this early) and Spiller added one of his own. Assists went to Bezina and Hrdina on the first goal, Gratton and Cleary on the second, and Taffe and Suchy on the third. If someone said to you maybe 5 years ago that Gratton, Cleary and Savage would be on a line together, you'd probably have a much different reaction than you do now. Also, Boucher stopped 17 of 18 and Pelletier stopped 14 of 17.
I have been around long enough to know better than to read too much into pre-season games scoring or lack there of. Systems are not in place, prospects dominate rosters and special teams and goalies are nowhere near running a peak performance. Pre-season is more about watching how players have improved, how they compete, skill set, decision making and terms of their contracts do come into play when making roster decisions.

Old
09-22-2003, 05:33 AM
Hoot

Every year at this time I'm hoping/praying that there are signs the coaches are implementing a modern dynamic system. Any signs of this? (laughing at self for naivity) :p

Old
09-22-2003, 06:35 AM
vsmith

Quote:
I have been around long enough to know better than to read too much into pre-season games scoring or lack there of. Systems are not in place, prospects dominate rosters and special teams and goalies are nowhere near running a peak performance. Pre-season is more about watching how players have improved, how they compete, skill set, decision making and terms of their contracts do come into play when making roster decisions.
As far as I remember Minnesota won all pre-season games last year and continued to win early in the season finishing in play-offs. Maybe it's just a concidence... maybe not

Old
09-22-2003, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsmith
As far as I remember Minnesota won all pre-season games last year and continued to win early in the season finishing in play-offs. Maybe it's just a concidence... maybe not
I have noticed that a little preseason success can be signs of the future at very least. Often times players that are going to breakout start in the preseason. The year Briere broke out, he led the preseason in scoring I believe. Before Ottawa became a contender they had a few good preseasons that showed how good their youth would be today. The preseason is surely an exhibition, but it's not worthless either. You just have to take it for what it's worth. It's like the regular season really, if a team goes on a tear and wins 10 straight, it doesn't mean they are a Cup contender either.

Old
09-22-2003, 09:43 AM
PhoPhan

Quote:
Originally Posted by eye
I didn't say that any of the stats meant anything, I was simply stating that it all occured. Preseason means something, but very little. By the same token, one could argue that all of the regular season games the Coyotes play won't mean anything this year unless they make the playoffs.

Old
09-22-2003, 01:20 PM
hbk

IMO it is important to develop a winning tradition for this organization. The team and its fans should expect a level of play that offers this organization a chance to win every game. Too many nights has this team mailed in an effort and been ho-hum about it just being one game in 82. You don't get too many free points in this league anymore and every point counts. Now while the preseason means absolutely nothing it is a time to build those attitudes of hard-work and dedication to winning. That to me is important and could make a difference down the road when it does matter.

Closed Thread