HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

John Stevens Appreciation Thread

Old
12-05-2009, 01:14 PM
97FlyersKing18

vCash: 500
John Stevens Appreciation Thread

I know many, if not all, Flyers fans are extremely happy the Front Office fired John Stevens, but I think he deserves at least a little bit of praise over his tenure as the head coach of the Philadelphia Flyers. He had an overall record of 120-109-34 and made the playoffs in two of his years, losing to the team that represented the Eastern Conference in the Stanley Cup Finals. Unfortunately, many fans criticized him for not having a noticeable system in place to maximize the talent he had on his roster and this slow start coupled with past 10-game losing streaks finally did the baker in. Whenever I see the "I like turtles kid" I will always think of John Stevens and his constant blank stare after a goal, fight, penalty or lull in the action.

However, let's not forget the good that John Stevens created for the young players on this team that he coached both in the AHL and NHL. R.J. Umberger was the classic Stevens "versatile" player and had a great playoffs in 07-08 with 10 goals in 17 games. We ended up trading Umberger for a lot more than he was worth before the playoffs and the 1st rounder turned into Sbisa who helped us acquire Pronger. Jeff Carter had a 46 goal campaign under Stevens and Richards had 80 points last year. I understand Stevens cannot execute the gameplan for these stars, but I feel that he should be praised for giving these players confidence that contributed to their excellence on and off the ice.

Peter Laviolette was right on when he said that this team has Stevens handprint on it and should be praised when the team turns it around.

I agree with the decision to bring in a "new voice" to motivate this squad, but Stevens helped this team more than he hurt it. I will raise my glass to John Stevens tonight.

97FlyersKing18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2009, 01:15 PM
Hollywood Couturier

Thanks for helping the young guns, now GTFO!

"I Came Here To Bury Caesar, Not Praise Him" - Roy Halladay
Hollywood Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2009, 01:18 PM
ChiTown Flyer

I was really hoping this thread was going to be blank and locked. Seriously, Stevens was a big part of developing Richards and Carter and I'm thankful for that.
Posted via Mobile Device

ChiTown Flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2009, 01:18 PM
Valhoun*

Send a message via AIM to Valhoun*
Stevens can bake cakes with Mike York and Kyle Wellwood in Hell.

Valhoun* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2009, 01:19 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Who is John Stevens?

sa cyred is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2009, 01:19 PM
SnS
Mod Supervisor

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood Cannon View Post
Thanks for helping the young guns, now GTFO!

SnS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2009, 01:20 PM
FlyHigh

Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
...No.

FlyHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2009, 01:21 PM
Bodrovs Dog

That's the sound of a cricket riding a tumbleweed.

Bodrovs Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2009, 01:26 PM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

Look john stevens was always going ot be good with the younger players of the team, becuase he didn't push them one bit. You have to remember too that richards and carter had already had one year in the league anyhow. It's not as if they wern't going to be stars

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2009, 01:50 PM
mikedifr

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiTown Flyer View Post
I was really hoping this thread was going to be blank and locked. Seriously, Stevens was a big part of developing Richards and Carter and I'm thankful for that.
Posted via Mobile Device
Sorry, I never have and will never agree with this. Who developed under him??? Richards and Carter??? Those guys played great as rookies under Hitch, they would have been great regardless. How about everyone else???

Coburn - backwards
Downie
Upshall
Pitkanen
Kukkonen - backwards
Carle (Pronger is the big reason for him)
Umberger - Playing much better under Hitch than he did here.
Parent??? - Still up in the air
Lupul - backwards

What he did, like someone else said, was NOT be tough on them....That hurts more than it helps.

mikedifr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2009, 01:52 PM
PhilaFlyers

vCash: 300

PhilaFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2009, 01:53 PM
BringBackStevens

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiTown Flyer View Post
Posted via Mobile Device
Richards and Carter turned into great players right around the age that all great players develop into stars...

BringBackStevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2009, 01:53 PM
97FlyersKing18

I understand that both Carter and Richards were first round picks in one of the best drafts of all time, but I highly doubt that anyone truly believed that Mike Richards would be a Selke finalist (should have won) and Jeff Carter would be the 2nd leading scorer in the league 3 years into their careers. Heck, the front office didn't believe it, which is why Briere was brought in before both Carter and Richards became stars. When it comes down to it, players are praised when they do good, and coaches are blamed when the team is not doing good. It is a lot easier to try to get a quick fix by firing one coach rather than replacing 10 players, which might not be fair, but it is just the way it goes in the business of the NHL.

I am not asking for a laurel to be sent to his home, I just think he deserves a bit of praise, or at least an ounce of respect for what he has accomplished over the last 2 years. The team went from being the worst in the league to the Conference Finals with a coach that never coached in the NHL. There is no excuse for making the same mistake over and over and over again, which is why he got canned, but there are SOME positive impacts that John Stevens had upon the Philadelphia Flyers organization. Like it or not, this current team is his (and Holmgrens) team playing under Laviolette's system, which hopefully is more effective. If trades go down, then so be it, but Laviolette inherited this extremely talented and experienced team and all he has to do is maximize their potential.

97FlyersKing18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2009, 01:59 PM
RIPRichardsCarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedifr View Post
Sorry, I never have and will never agree with this. Who developed under him??? Richards and Carter??? Those guys played great as rookies under Hitch, they would have been great regardless. How about everyone else???

Coburn - backwards
Downie
Upshall
Pitkanen
Kukkonen - backwards
Lupul - backwards

What he did, like someone else said, was NOT be tough on them....That hurts more than it helps.
I support this post.

RIPRichardsCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2009, 02:10 PM
bungle
Casual Observer

I appreciate the fact that he was fired.

bungle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2009, 02:25 PM
Garbage Goal

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedifr View Post

Coburn - backwards
Downie
Upshall
Pitkanen
Kukkonen - backwards
Lupul - backwards

I agree.

I believe that these players developing under Stevens, much like the games that we won under Stevens, were due to their own talent and not much else.

Really, all Stevens did was not **** up their development (he was just kind of there) which is still good, but not praise-worthy I think.

Garbage Goal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2009, 02:32 PM
Unstable

I liked when we beat Washington, and there was a split second when he showed some emotion.

That was good. I thought it was a step in the right direction.

Unstable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2009, 03:18 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5775
Thanks for winning the Calder Cup.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2009, 03:19 PM
Valhoun*

Send a message via AIM to Valhoun*
Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
Thanks for winning the Calder Cup.
Remind me, that's the one that doesn't mean anything, right?

Valhoun* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2009, 03:21 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5775
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valhoun View Post
Remind me, that's the one that doesn't mean anything, right?
Those 2 months were nice.

Without an NHL season, it was the first time in 30 years Philadelphia was home to the best hockey team in North America.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2009, 03:33 PM
mikedifr

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97FlyersKing18 View Post
I understand that both Carter and Richards were first round picks in one of the best drafts of all time, but I highly doubt that anyone truly believed that Mike Richards would be a Selke finalist (should have won) and Jeff Carter would be the 2nd leading scorer in the league 3 years into their careers. Heck, the front office didn't believe it, which is why Briere was brought in before both Carter and Richards became stars. When it comes down to it, players are praised when they do good, and coaches are blamed when the team is not doing good. It is a lot easier to try to get a quick fix by firing one coach rather than replacing 10 players, which might not be fair, but it is just the way it goes in the business of the NHL.

I am not asking for a laurel to be sent to his home, I just think he deserves a bit of praise, or at least an ounce of respect for what he has accomplished over the last 2 years. The team went from being the worst in the league to the Conference Finals with a coach that never coached in the NHL. There is no excuse for making the same mistake over and over and over again, which is why he got canned, but there are SOME positive impacts that John Stevens had upon the Philadelphia Flyers organization. Like it or not, this current team is his (and Holmgrens) team playing under Laviolette's system, which hopefully is more effective. If trades go down, then so be it, but Laviolette inherited this extremely talented and experienced team and all he has to do is maximize their potential.
Why not??? Everyone knew Richards came into the league with a good all around game that was ready for the NHL, they both played very well as rookies. Hitch was confortable using Richards in a defensive role with Handzus as a rookie, that goes to show you the confidence in him early. Carter scored 23 goals in his rookie year with not much ice time, not much PP time, why is 46 in his 3rd year such an unreasonable number??? It isnt like he was 18 when he came into the league, they were both already 20 years old and both expected to have an impact within their first couple of years.

Old
12-05-2009, 03:35 PM
mikedifr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garbage Goal View Post
I agree.

I believe that these players developing under Stevens, much like the games that we won under Stevens, were due to their own talent and not much else.

Really, all Stevens did was not **** up their development (he was just kind of there) which is still good, but not praise-worthy I think.
And dont discount the year they played for Hitch.....Agree with it or not, he knows how to put young players in a position where they can succeed, if they are ready, but not overwhelm them....Hence why he controlled who Carter went up against on the ice, etc.

Old
12-05-2009, 03:46 PM
Raffl House

vCash: 513
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveNeptune View Post
I appreciate the fact that he was fired.

Raffl House is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2009, 04:49 PM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
Those 2 months were nice.

Without an NHL season, it was the first time in 30 years Philadelphia was home to the best hockey team in North America.
Yeah, considering the NHLPA decided to ***** the season out, the AHL was the top level of hockey available. So technically it did mean something. If they had taken the AHL players and had them play in the NHL that would have been a Stanley Cup.

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2009, 05:26 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
I was a big fan of Stevens. He wasn't perfect, but who is? He did a great job with this team and deserves a lot of credit. I didn't want him to get fired but I saw it coming. Can't really blame the brass for making this move, but I would have liked to see them give Stevens a little longer to turn it around. Hopefully Laviolette can turn the team in the right direction and that big trophy I keep hearing about can come back to Philly.

Also, does anyone want to tell me how to pass my exams?

DrinkFightFlyers is online now   Reply With Quote