HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Grachev Makes Russia WJC team, Rangers Won't Allow Him To Leave, Russia to Appeal

View Poll Results: If you were Rangers GM what would you do?
I would let him go to the WJCs 82 77.36%
I would not allow him to go to the WJCs 24 22.64%
Voters: 106. You may not vote on this poll

Old
12-04-2009, 02:04 PM
Tumsh

vCash: 500
If Grachev wants to play, you should let him play. Especially since he's not playing for the big club. It's not just about development here and now, but about treating your players well. Treating your players well can only have benefits. First and foremost, it builds loyalty.

Tumsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2009, 04:47 PM
Muscle Bob

Grachev gave an exclusive interview to Russian Hockey Fans
Quote:
Hello Evgeny. Recently the Russian Hockey Federation site has published news that the Rangers ruled you out of the WJC. Has anyone from the club talked to you about this decision? Has the RHF approached you either?
I've seen this information on the internet and I've asked my agent to learn if they really weren't releasing me. And the New York Rangers confirmed that they wouldn't release me. And no one from the RHF tried to get in touch with me.
Do you think that you are progressing playing in the AHL?
Yes, I do think that I am progressing in this league. The level is good and it's hard to play here.

Wouldn't it better for you to get back in the KHL, where you would get good time on ice in the Europe's best league?
Well, no one would give me ice time in the KHL.
Full interview is here:
http://www.russianhockeyfans.com/nhl...he-wjc-45.html

Muscle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2009, 08:42 AM
Ranger Angst

Let him go. He's not on your NHL roster - 2 weeks in a pressure atmosphere playing against the best juniors in the world will definitely help his mental game.
does a hell of a lot more than being 2 weeks in Hartford. Also , I'd be really curious to see some of these junior squads against AHL teams.

Ranger Angst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2009, 08:54 AM
Jabroni
The Corporate Mod

Why not just let him go?

What is the Rangers Organization fretting over that's they don't want him to go?

Jabroni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2009, 11:39 AM
Fire Sather
Play Like a Pug

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Fire Sather
Pretty disgusting that the Rangers want to stop him from going.

Fire Sather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2009, 12:24 PM
The Perfect Paradox

vCash: 50
Let him go, it'll be a great confidence booster for him. It's not like he's tearing up the AHL. Maybe the WJC will give him some confidence for the 'Pack games.

The Perfect Paradox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2009, 12:46 PM
t3hg00se

Send a message via AIM to t3hg00se
Quote:
Do you regret going overseas so early?
No, I don't regret it. In fact, it would have been better if I had gone even earlier.
Good.

These god damn russian interviewers try to stuff the idea of playing in the KHL down the kids throat. I'm happy he responded that way.

t3hg00se is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2009, 02:28 PM
NYR Viper

Honestly, maybe he didnt want to go? Obvious speculation on my part but maybe he just wants to concentrate on one thing right now and that is trying to get better in the Rangers organization so he can make the NHL very soon.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2009, 02:38 PM
GarretJoseph

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Sather View Post
Pretty disgusting that the Rangers want to stop him from going.
LOL. Disgusting? Yeah ok.

GarretJoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2009, 02:42 PM
FLYLine24*

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyviper87 View Post
Honestly, maybe he didnt want to go? Obvious speculation on my part but maybe he just wants to concentrate on one thing right now and that is trying to get better in the Rangers organization so he can make the NHL very soon.
I think with this response to the following question shows he was surprised by the decision and wanted to go.

""Hello Evgeny. Recently the Russian Hockey Federation site has published news that the Rangers ruled you out of the WJC. Has anyone from the club talked to you about this decision? Has the RHF approached you either?
I've seen this information on the internet and I've asked my agent to learn if they really weren't releasing me. And the New York Rangers confirmed that they wouldn't release me. And no one from the RHF tried to get in touch with me.""

FLYLine24* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2009, 02:44 PM
Jabroni
The Corporate Mod

Maybe because of what happened to Cherepanov (R.I.P.), the Rangers don't want him to go overseas...maybe they'd rather Grachev be playing in the AHL in America.

Old
12-05-2009, 02:55 PM
FLYLine24*

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabroni1994 View Post
Maybe because of what happened to Cherepanov (R.I.P.), the Rangers don't want him to go overseas...maybe they'd rather Grachev be playing in the AHL in America.
Overseas? Last I checked Canada isn't overseas.

Old
12-05-2009, 03:01 PM
Jabroni
The Corporate Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine24 View Post
Overseas? Last I checked Canada isn't overseas.
Oh wow...

Sorry, the Russian interviewer asked about going overseas, so I thought that's where the competition was...wow.

Old
12-05-2009, 03:22 PM
Trxjw
Bored.

Sounds like Filatov isn't happy Grachev is missing the WJC's:

Quote:
You're going to the World Junior Championships. What should we expect from Team Russia?

"Some kind of misery is falling down on us. In a playing for Los Angeles Andrei Loktionov(notes) injured himself [and is] out for four months. You can say that we lost our first line center. The Rangers are not letting Grachev play. He is our best right wing. That means we are left without out leading line. Kulikov is a first team defenseman for Florida. That means that he also won't go to Saskatoon."
Whole article is pretty interesting. Makes Filatov sound like a big baby.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puc...urn=nhl,206836

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2009, 03:26 PM
beastly115

Can't believe the Rangers aren't letting him go.

Unbelievable. Could sure use the experience.

beastly115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2009, 03:27 PM
ThirdEye

Well, he does look like a big baby

Nah, he makes a good point, but it does look like he's looking for sympathy of some sort

ThirdEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2009, 03:33 PM
FLYLine24*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
Sounds like Filatov isn't happy Grachev is missing the WJC's:

Whole article is pretty interesting. Makes Filatov sound like a big baby.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puc...urn=nhl,206836
Man that would have been some line to watch though, Filatov and Grachev together, they would have destroyed the competition.

Old
12-05-2009, 04:29 PM
Trxjw
Bored.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine24 View Post
Man that would have been some line to watch though, Filatov and Grachev together, they would have destroyed the competition.
Don't forget Loktionov. That kid is a wizard with the puck.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2009, 04:51 PM
spanky8992

Send a message via AIM to spanky8992
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumsh View Post
If Grachev wants to play, you should let him play. Especially since he's not playing for the big club. It's not just about development here and now, but about treating your players well. Treating your players well can only have benefits. First and foremost, it builds loyalty.
I Completely agree.

spanky8992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2009, 05:19 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

boo! let him go!

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2009, 08:04 PM
bumrusherer

Any time you get a chance to rep your nation...do it and you should be allowed to go.

bumrusherer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2009, 03:46 AM
Leslie Treff
Hockey's Future Staff

Please know that the authors of both articles referred to in this thread have a KHL bias, and that it is very easy to frame questions and make quotes look like something other than what they are intended when translated.

While I have no doubt that Filatov had problems with the amount of ice time that he received in Columbus, I would be hard-pressed to believe that he meant to denigrate Ken Hitchcock in the way it looked in the article. Hitch is extremely well regarded and making such comments will only hurt him in the long run.

As for Grachev, he is at this point a big part of the Wolf Pack offense, and needs to continue to play at this level. Plus, just thinking (no particular info here), but, if I was the Rangers I would not want my potential future star hanging out with Filatov or anyone else who could try to lure him away with money or anything else. Although Grachev may be somewhat unhappy about this decision, its just not worth it from the Rangers point of view. Now had there been a transfer agreement in place, that would be a different story, but under the current situation, no way would I allow him to be in that environment.

Last edited by Leslie Treff: 12-06-2009 at 03:56 AM.
Leslie Treff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2009, 05:34 PM
HoosierDaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leslie Treff View Post
Please know that the authors of both articles referred to in this thread have a KHL bias, and that it is very easy to frame questions and make quotes look like something other than what they are intended when translated.

While I have no doubt that Filatov had problems with the amount of ice time that he received in Columbus, I would be hard-pressed to believe that he meant to denigrate Ken Hitchcock in the way it looked in the article. Hitch is extremely well regarded and making such comments will only hurt him in the long run.

As for Grachev, he is at this point a big part of the Wolf Pack offense, and needs to continue to play at this level. Plus, just thinking (no particular info here), but, if I was the Rangers I would not want my potential future star hanging out with Filatov or anyone else who could try to lure him away with money or anything else. Although Grachev may be somewhat unhappy about this decision, its just not worth it from the Rangers point of view. Now had there been a transfer agreement in place, that would be a different story, but under the current situation, no way would I allow him to be in that environment.
Why not try to bring Filatov here? I voted let him go, but changed my opinion after reading your arguments.

HoosierDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2009, 05:52 PM
D713B

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leslie Treff View Post

All valid points. Hard to disagree with that perspective.

My personal belief though is that if Evgeny is ever going to decide to play in Russia it's going to happen regardless of nearly any stance the Rangers happen to take with him; barring any outlandish or extreme decisions by the organization which could disillusion him of course. The guys that are in NA are here because their ultimate goal is to play in the NHL and those who aren't made a personal decision to play in their homeland, which you can't fault them for. If Evgeny is simple minded enough to be that easily influenced after already setting a course for the NHL then clearly his mind and heart weren't set on playing here. The guys that want to be here will make the commitment and effort to stay regardless of the circumstances.

Look at Zherdev, as much as people enjoy pointing to him and laughing because he priced himself out of the NHL this year doesn't mean that he didn't want to be in the NHL. He explored all of his options before he accepted that he was a cap casualty, but that's what happens when the arbitration process doesn't commence until mid August, you lose NHL caliber players. Anyway, my point is the guys that want to be here will ultimately do what it takes and not bolt at the first sign of a paycheck or any other superficial reasons.

Last edited by D713B: 12-06-2009 at 06:04 PM.
D713B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2009, 02:56 PM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Quote:
TSNBobMcKenzie LA Kings will not release V Voinov to Russians for WJC; same thing with NYR and E Grachev.
https://twitter.com/TSNBobMcKenzie

Rangers say nyet.

I asked McKenzie on twitter earlier today and he checked. Thanks Bob

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote