HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Kings Playing the Blues: THOUGHTS & TIDBITS

Old
12-05-2009, 05:59 PM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 424
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
Kings Playing the Blues: THOUGHTS & TIDBITS

Shootouts suck. Discuss.

Had to get it up quick, I gotta head out to my own hockey game tonight.

“We still have a lot of guys who haven't scored a goal since Jesus was a baby.” - Darryl Sutter
Telos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2009, 06:01 PM
ShattStar03

vCash: 500
I think the Kings are the better team and played like the better team today.

ShattStar03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2009, 06:02 PM
CowMix
Go Kings Go!

I don't really think either team deserved to win this game, I prob wouldn't have put Kopi in the shootout after coming out flat for the game, but that is our normal shootout line up so can't complain too much :/

CowMix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2009, 06:02 PM
alpa
Yoda+Gandalf=Sutter

First line is still in trouble.

alpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2009, 06:03 PM
Shellz

I don't think one team deserved to win it. But, the blues did get the 2 points.
Glad to get the one point though.

Now, I am going to the Christmas parade

Did Quick have his little ceremony tonight before the shootout started? If he didn't, I blame that

Shellz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2009, 06:03 PM
nki

Kopitar looks like Jimmy Page 1977.

nki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2009, 06:04 PM
ShattStar03

It looked like the Blues were just trying to survive, yeah the Kings were flat footed at points but they still played a good game.

Old
12-05-2009, 06:06 PM
johnjm22

I put this loss on Kopitar.

johnjm22 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2009, 06:07 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

And the afternoon game losing streak continues.

Ziggy Stardust is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2009, 06:07 PM
bland

Huh?

The Kings were lucky to get a point out of this one.

Anze probably played his worst NHL game, just terrible in all three zones.

Brown was just terrible again, but lemme guess, some get the impression that he played well because he threw some big hits that had no effect whatsoever on the game? The man has no hands and no timing.

Jack Johnson and Randy Jones continue to be brutal.

Terry Murray makes some awfully strange decisions. The 1st line is keeping the puck down low, rolling on cycles, yet they get broken up for the Bride of Browpitar?

Simmonds, Parse, Handzus, Frolov, Stoll, Richardson and yes, Purcell all played well again.

Oh, and love Frolov's Mike Foligno impersonation!

bland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2009, 06:09 PM
JT Dutch*
Cult of Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telos View Post
Shootouts suck. Discuss.
... I can't watch the shootouts. Way too gimmicky and completely un-hockey.

It was a game of contradictions for the Kings. They played well, and yet had moments where they completely beat themselves.

Doughty was +3 and made some outstanding plays but had a couple terrible giveaways simply because he failed to use his teammates.

Kopitar was terrific in the last minute and in overtime, but he couldn't convert to save his life and was TERRIBLE on the faceoff.

Brown ... jeez, this guy was so great at times and yet so poor at others. 9 hits, 6 shots, no giveaways ... but he couldn't convert, he couldn't find the net on a couple good chances, and he had very little touch on his own passes. His play was a microcosm of the team's.

Simmonds played another fine game, got two points, and was +2.

Frolov had a wonderful last minute shift and got the tying goal, but was pretty silent for the entire game. He wasn't bad per se, but certainly didn't stand out.

JT Dutch* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2009, 06:12 PM
ShattStar03

Quote:
Originally Posted by bland View Post
Huh?

The Kings were lucky to get a point out of this one.

Anze probably played his worst NHL game, just terrible in all three zones.

Brown was just terrible again, but lemme guess, some get the impression that he played well because he threw some big hits that had no effect whatsoever on the game? The man has no hands and no timing.

Terry Murray makes some awfully strange decisions. The 1st line is keeping the puck down low, rolling on cycles, yet they get broken up for the Bride of Browpitar?

Simmonds, Parse, Handzus, Frolov, Stoll, Richardson and yes, Purcell all played well again.

Oh, and love Frolov's Mike Foligno impersonation!
I disagree, I thought Jones and Johnson played a fairly decent game. Other then JMFJ's mistake that lead to a goal, he was aggressive and was getting shots on goal.

I was very encouraged by watching the Kings play today, I think this loss will get them hungrier against Calgary.

Old
12-05-2009, 06:16 PM
JT Dutch*
Cult of Personality

Quote:
... Jones got 21 1/2 minutes compared to Drewiske getting under 16, that baffled me. I think you're being a little harsh on Johnson, he didn't have a great game but I don't think he was brutal. Johnson might have had a key assist if Williams could have handled a breakout pass while in the clear.

Old
12-05-2009, 06:17 PM
bland

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShattStar03 View Post
I disagree, I thought Jones and Johnson played a fairly decent game. Other then JMFJ's mistake that lead to a goal, he was aggressive and was getting shots on goal.

I was very encouraged by watching the Kings play today, I think this loss will get them hungrier against Calgary.
okay... heh

Old
12-05-2009, 06:18 PM
JDM

I will admit that today Williams was really off.

I blame this on Murray. Switching Kopi and Stoll in the third was stupid, and after Kopitar was slouching and looking dejected from missing his open chance in OT, he had no business in the shootout. Easily one of the worst games I've ever seen Kopi play.

Problems started early when we were having trouble making the 3-5 foot passes. That is always a killer.

Gggrrrr, in the grand scheme of things, we got a point and this loss shouldn't kill us, but damn I wanted to win.

JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2009, 06:22 PM
bland

Quote:
Originally Posted by JT Dutch View Post
... Jones got 21 1/2 minutes compared to Drewiske getting under 16, that baffled me. I think you're being a little harsh on Johnson, he didn't have a great game but I don't think he was brutal. Johnson might have had a key assist if Williams could have handled a breakout pass while in the clear.
Johnson had to make a 20 foot pass to an open player and missed - its hard to put that one only on Williams. Williams was turning his body to receive the pass, looked a little off balance, and JJ just flat out missed him by a foot or two.

And that doesn't bother me as much - it happens, just poor timing. What drives me crazy is the way those two cave in so deep in their zone that there are always cross ice passing lanes. If the forwards drop down deep to cover up the ground given, then the points are open. Thats why the puck has made a habit of staying deep in the zone for long shifts when JJ and Jones are out there together.

Old
12-05-2009, 06:28 PM
JT Dutch*
Cult of Personality

Quote:
Johnson had to make a 20 foot pass to an open player and missed - its hard to put that one only on Williams. Williams was turning his body to receive the pass, looked a little off balance, and JJ just flat out missed him by a foot or two.
... Well, Williams turned like he was going one way, then went back the other way. It looked like he just fooled Johnson. Perhaps Williams expected Johnson to chip it off the boards? And no, it didn't bother me too much, but it was a play Johnson created and it would have been nice to see them get it right.

Quote:
What drives me crazy is the way those two cave in so deep in their zone that there are always cross ice passing lanes. If the forwards drop down deep to cover up the ground given, then the points are open. Thats why the puck has made a habit of staying deep in the zone for long shifts when JJ and Jones are out there together.
... That and the fact that the Kings didn't win many faceoffs in their zone. I'm not sure why they sag so much, they're giving way too much respect to the opposing forwards for sure. Perhaps Murray wants them to sag because he can't trust Quick to handle the puck too often behind the net? It appears to me to be more of a coaching thing than a pairing decision.

Old
12-05-2009, 06:29 PM
Zad
HFB Partner

It happens.

Short and sweet post game article on http://www.lakingsnews.com

Click on the link for more.

Quote:
Parse, Richardson, Stoll and Frolov.

How is that for secondary scoring!

Now, if the Kings can just get some primary scoring. Anze Kopitar has gone the way of winter weather - cold - he cannot buy a goal. It's not for a lack of effort. Our number 1 center is working hard and tonight he had a few great scoring chances but that "finish" just isn't there. Whether it's a little wide or rolling off his stick at the last second, Anze needs to get that finish back...or he he needs to get Smyth back...maybe both.

Zad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2009, 06:30 PM
JDM

Jones and OD scared the crap out of me in OT. Slowest pairing ever.

Drewiske deserved some of the open 4-on-4 ice time.

Really, only Stoll, Simmonds, Parse, Zus and Richardson played the whole 60 minutes. That's not enough. Quick was pretty good, I don't really blame him for any of the 4 goals. First was a fluke. Second should have never happened, lazy play led to the Blue's having much more time than they should have. 3rd he challenged and it was an unlucky bounce. 4th looked like a screen to me and a great shot by Kariya.

I am convinced Purcell has gelatin instead of muscles in his forearms.

Old
12-05-2009, 06:30 PM
ShattStar03

Quote:

And that doesn't bother me as much - it happens, just poor timing. What drives me crazy is the way those two cave in so deep in their zone that there are always cross ice passing lanes. If the forwards drop down deep to cover up the ground given, then the points are open. Thats why the puck has made a habit of staying deep in the zone for long shifts when JJ and Jones are out there together.
okay.. heh

Old
12-05-2009, 06:32 PM
Zad
HFB Partner

Telos, change the title of the PGT. It sucks. Put in a THOUGHTS & TIDBITS in there man.

Old
12-05-2009, 06:32 PM
bland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zad View Post
It happens.

Short and sweet post game article on http://www.lakingsnews.com

Click on the link for more.
Really, Zad, you think Anze was "working hard" today?

Sure seemed like the polar opposite of that. He has played very well in his own zone while strugling to create offense, but he just mailed it in today - losing draws, when he wasn't getting kicked out, fighting the puck, blowing d-zone coverages, and skating like he had last years' piano in town for a christmas tuning.

Old
12-05-2009, 06:35 PM
JDM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JT Dutch View Post
It looked like he just fooled Johnson. Perhaps Williams expected Johnson to chip it off the boards?.
From my angle, and without the benefit of a replay, it looked like Williams mistake more than JJ's. But you make a good point, chipping it up the boards is the prerequisite of Murray's system. They do that much more often than pass.

Overall, that play was just one of many bumbled chances by many people. Kings couldn't find a groove at all. The best they could manage was the throw the Blue's off their rhythm every so often.

Old
12-05-2009, 06:36 PM
Albi

Send a message via MSN to Albi
Am I the only who thinks the refs have been horrible tonite? The holding call on Kopitar was ridiculous, as well as the missed crosscheck call on Karyia seconds before he scored to tie the game at 3.

This said...

- Parse and Simmonds are developing some chemistry, both played great
- Doughty will make Team Canada
- Jack Johnson played a decent game
- Kopitar is out of sync
- Williams wasn't a factor
- Drewiske had a solid game
- Frolov redemeed himself with the tying goal, before he has been invisible
- Richardson has really turned the corner, he's a valuable player now

This wasn't for sure our best game of the season, but if there was a team that deserved to win it was LA.

Albi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2009, 06:38 PM
Zad
HFB Partner

Quote:
Really, Zad, you think Anze was "working hard" today?

Sure seemed like the polar opposite of that. He has played very well in his own zone while strugling to create offense, but he just mailed it in today - losing draws, when he wasn't getting kicked out, fighting the puck, blowing d-zone coverages, and skating like he had last years' piano in town for a christmas tuning.
I do. I distinguish between not being able to make anything happen and working hard. If one is focused purely on results (the "finish") he sucked ass today. But, the "effort" was there. The shot where he damn near ended it is a good example of that. He made one too many moves and the puck rolled off his stick. It wasn't for a lack of trying. Kopi needs Smyth. Smyth opens space for him and give Kopitar space and he is one of the best. Did you notice how much he was getting double teamed and bumped?