HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Kings Playing the Blues: THOUGHTS & TIDBITS

Old
12-05-2009, 06:39 PM
ShattStar03

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bland View Post
Really, Zad, you think Anze was "working hard" today?

Sure seemed like the polar opposite of that. He has played very well in his own zone while strugling to create offense, but he just mailed it in today - losing draws, when he wasn't getting kicked out, fighting the puck, blowing d-zone coverages, and skating like he had last years' piano in town for a christmas tuning.
Well, I saw Kopi working hard, so I guess Zad isn't a lone. I saw him creating plays and driving hard to the net. It looks like Kopi was more frustrated than being "lazy" out there. I believe the effort was there but he's struggling with the mental aspect of the game.

ShattStar03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2009, 06:42 PM
JDM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zad View Post
I do. I distinguish between not being able to make anything happen and working hard. If one is focused purely on results (the "finish") he sucked ass today. But, the "effort" was there. The shot where he damn near ended it is a good example of that. He made one too many moves and the puck rolled off his stick. It wasn't for a lack of trying. Kopi needs Smyth. Smyth opens space for him and give Kopitar space and he is one of the best. Did you notice how much he was getting double teamed and bumped?
I don't know Zad, I got to go with bland on this one. Kopi was dogging it, but he wasn't the only one.

He has used his speed at all lately. He has jets, but he isn't using them to beat guys to inside position, boht defensively and offensively.

Also, maybe someone who watched all the replays on tv can correct me, but the linesmen looks awful to me, as well as the refs. Most of the calls were weak, and a lot of boarding, interference and holding went uncalled.

JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2009, 06:44 PM
Cutty Sarkn3ss*
I bet u trade me

Send a message via AIM to Cutty Sarkn3ss*
Love the 3rd line, I thought it was a pretty good physical game today, everyone was finishing their checks. Can't be upset when everyone is hitting.

Brown . . The dood is Sully 2.0. The only time he made a pass was to Kopitar after his other 9 shots (terrible shots) wouldn't go through. Oh, I also liked the fact that when Stoll got face washed and taken down, he stood there, looked and skated back to the bench. . AGAIN, Not asking for him to fight, LEAST HE CAN DO is skate over and grab on to someone, maybe a little smack talk or a shove (YOU DON'T GET PENALTIES FOR SHOVING, FACE WASHES & SMACK TALK). . .

Also, Is anyone else noticing that Jim Fox is starting to become a little more "Homerish" in the past few seasons. . it's getting annoying when he talks about Dustin Brown "GREAT JOB PUTTING THE PUCK ON NET" when Brown is putting it right into the chest. . .

Anyways, not to upset about this game, everyone was hitting (except for Fro but lets be serious, when is he ever physical). . i think we should be happy to get the 1 point.

Cutty Sarkn3ss* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2009, 06:46 PM
bland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zad View Post
I do. I distinguish between not being able to make anything happen and working hard. If one is focused purely on results (the "finish") he sucked ass today. But, the "effort" was there. The shot where he damn near ended it is a good example of that. He made one too many moves and the puck rolled off his stick. It wasn't for a lack of trying. Kopi needs Smyth. Smyth opens space for him and give Kopitar space and he is one of the best. Did you notice how much he was getting double teamed and bumped?
Today is the first game in this long, unfruitful stretch in which I think it is fair to question Anze's effort.

As far as the double teams, great players thrive and depend on being double teamed - its how they find their linemates in open spots and create chances for the team, not just themselves, Today, Anze was just too easy to stop - there were no second efforts, no fighting for pucks once he lost them - he just mailed it in.

The lack of effort in the faceoff circle cannot be questioned - when he wasn't being kicked out, he was losing draws cleanly and often.

Everybody had a bad game from time to time, and I am sure this is just the result of him pressing too much.

bland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2009, 06:46 PM
JT Dutch*
Cult of Personality

... Just want to point out, because I went to look it up -- the Kings lost 18 OF 22 faceoffs in their own zone. Kopitar lost all 5 he took, Handzus lost 4 of 5, and Stoll lost 6 of 9. So, there's a huge reason why the ice was slanted toward Jonathan Quick. Quick was less than 90% on his save percentage, but this was a game where I hardly would blame him.

JT Dutch* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2009, 06:55 PM
JT Dutch*
Cult of Personality

Quote:
Today, Anze was just too easy to stop - there were no second efforts, no fighting for pucks once he lost them - he just mailed it in.
... Just to tack onto this, Anze completely blew a D coverage on the Boyes goal; Drewiske had McClement covered in front, yet Kopitar drifted toward McClement anyway, leaving Boyes wide open.

And certainly Kopitar could have rotated over to Kariya in front on the first Kariya goal, instead of standing in the middle of the defensive zone, but I don't hold him too responsible for that as it was kind of a broken play.

JT Dutch* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2009, 07:03 PM
CowMix
Go Kings Go!

the real story is no goals for Simmonds today. bust

I think Kopitar may need a Frolov treatment from Murray, its like they are role reversing in loafing 0_o

CowMix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2009, 07:13 PM
Omni Owl
Ray of Black Sun

Kopitar looked terrible. I wonder if he's injured from that awkward fall into the boards from the Sens game.

Omni Owl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2009, 07:13 PM
mbar

I think a tie is just about the right result today. Can't win them all.

mbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2009, 07:50 PM
aegwillnotwinthecup*

If Kopitar is ever going to truly graduate into that top flight forward in the NHL he's going to have to learn how to deal with getting double teamed and bumped, etc. etc. The Crosbys and Malkins of the league have been getting double teamed and bumped their entire careers and they've adapted. Kopitar's going to have to do the same. It was incredibly frustrating watching him flub that gorgeous pass from Doughty in the third and choke in OT. That's unacceptable. What's going to happen to him in the playoffs when the pressure is really on? He has to get his head out of his ass and start playing like everyone, including him, knows he can. I was very much reminded of the 08/09 Kopitar tonight and it frustrated the hell out of me.

BTW, Murray, keep Parse-Handzus-Simmonds together and don't **** with it.

aegwillnotwinthecup* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2009, 07:52 PM
Bandit
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Huh?

The Kings were lucky to get a point out of this one.

Anze probably played his worst NHL game, just terrible in all three zones.

Brown was just terrible again, but lemme guess, some get the impression that he played well because he threw some big hits that had no effect whatsoever on the game? The man has no hands and no timing.

Jack Johnson and Randy Jones continue to be brutal.

Terry Murray makes some awfully strange decisions. The 1st line is keeping the puck down low, rolling on cycles, yet they get broken up for the Bride of Browpitar?

Simmonds, Parse, Handzus, Frolov, Stoll, Richardson and yes, Purcell all played well again.

Oh, and love Frolov's Mike Foligno impersonation!
Agree with this except for Purcell. You really just need to admit to yourself that he's not as good as you thought/hoped he would be and accept it. Also I didn't think Johnson was brutal throughout, but he is a very bipolar player. He made some really awful plays and some good ones, and overall I would say he was definitely below average, but not brutal.

As for Kopitar, he was getting abused all night long by Oshie. I'm not really sure what Murray was thinking, but I would have maybe after the 3rd or 4th shift of those two guys head to head, I dunno, maybe moved Kopitar away from that matchup? I mean, that is supposed to be one of the advantages to playing at home right?

Bandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2009, 08:08 PM
KingsRule

Send a message via AIM to KingsRule
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShattStar03 View Post
I disagree, I thought Jones and Johnson played a fairly decent game. Other then JMFJ's mistake that lead to a goal, he was aggressive and was getting shots on goal.

I was very encouraged by watching the Kings play today, I think this loss will get them hungrier against Calgary.
youre kidding right? Jack sucked baaad tonight. There were at least two times he needed to connect on a pass for a breakaway and screwed the play up. He was bad defensively as well, but thats the usual for him.

KingsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2009, 08:18 PM
KingsRule

Send a message via AIM to KingsRule
I think i was the only unfortunate one to be sitting right in front of a row of dumb ass Blues fans. I wasnt even aware that they had fans. My girlfriend literally almost got into a brawl with them, and then i had some sissy ass duck fan sitting next to me. I wish they had won that game so we could have shoved that celebration down all of their throats!!

also, i hope i wasnt the only to get a little teary when Luc spoke and said he cant wait for Brown to hold the cup up...

KingsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2009, 08:34 PM
Willard
Kings All The Way

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telos View Post
Shootouts suck. Discuss.
Yes they do.

If I was the emperor, I'd make it a 10 minute 4-on-4 OT and end it in a tie if it's not settled by then.

Willard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2009, 08:47 PM
no name

Quote:
Today is the first game in this long, unfruitful stretch in which I think it is fair to question Anze's effort.

As far as the double teams, great players thrive and depend on being double teamed - its how they find their linemates in open spots and create chances for the team, not just themselves, Today, Anze was just too easy to stop - there were no second efforts, no fighting for pucks once he lost them - he just mailed it in.

The lack of effort in the faceoff circle cannot be questioned - when he wasn't being kicked out, he was losing draws cleanly and often.

Everybody had a bad game from time to time, and I am sure this is just the result of him pressing too much.
The thing is that Kopitar is getting killed out there. The opposition is completely selling out to stop Kopitar. He faces 2 or 3 men every time he touches the puck. The statistic that proves this is watching the players who are on his line shot total almost triple their prior totals ever since Smyth went down. If his linemates finish more then he gets some relief but Williams and Frolov are only scoring on lucky junk and empty netters. Brown has been the same terrible offensive player he has been the last 2 years.

no name is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2009, 08:51 PM
no name

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingsRule View Post
youre kidding right? Jack sucked baaad tonight. There were at least two times he needed to connect on a pass for a breakaway and screwed the play up. He was bad defensively as well, but thats the usual for him.
Dude, I just watched it for a second time and JJ only made one bad play. That was falling into Quick on the goal. The only pass that was in question was the one to Williams and Williams ****ed that over. Jack waited for an eternity to make the pass because Williams was skating a serpintine pattern like he was trying to evade a sniper.

no name is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2009, 09:38 PM
dabeechman

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDM View Post
I don't know Zad, I got to go with bland on this one. Kopi was dogging it, but he wasn't the only one.

He has used his speed at all lately. He has jets, but he isn't using them to beat guys to inside position, boht defensively and offensively.

Also, maybe someone who watched all the replays on tv can correct me, but the linesmen looks awful to me, as well as the refs. Most of the calls were weak, and a lot of boarding, interference and holding went uncalled.

This drove me absolutely nuts tonight. A lot of missed calls and a whole **** load of soft calls that went in favor of STL.

dabeechman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2009, 10:27 PM
xavi4life
Mr. Irreverent

As usual I agree with a lot of what bland has to say. The little I managed to watch I knew St. Louis was going to walk away with the 2 points. They wanted this win bad and the Kings were chasing them all 3rd period.

JJ needs a little more consistency. I'm pretty sure Purcell will be a decent NHL player someday, just not as a King. **** happens. Rich Peverly part II maybe?

Simmonds >>>> Brown. AGAIN and AGAIN and AGAIN.

xavi4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2009, 10:32 PM
losingsand

Just to add on to the kopitar bashing, has anyone also noticed(during a cycle) how his passes back to the point have been less then stellar? he passed in b/w the D @ the sens game on the critical 5 on 3, and vs. the blues, i counted about 3 passes to the point that cleared the zone. granted the D could help him out w/ making a great play to keep it going... but those SIMPLE passes have been KILLING me lately.

other things that killed me today:
--brown not passing AT ALL, and when he does its bad (aka the 2 on one where his pass to purcell was in his feet and was kicked back to him).
--Williams is pretty bad on 2 on ones as well...
-- the way the kings ease up after they score a goal
--our 4th liners taking penalties.. im looking at you harrold and ivanans(ugh)

things that are good:
--Parse, Simmonds, Richardson, & Stoll making things happen and keeping this team afloat while the 1st line guys stink up the place.
--The D are playing relatively well.

losingsand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2009, 12:46 AM
LAX attack*

Send a message via AIM to LAX attack*
To me at least, it looked like every line had 1 guy who was dragging everyone else down:

1st line - everyone is ripping on Kopitar this game, but him and Williams did a nice job at multiple things. Frolov was holding the line back until 1 minute left.

2nd line - Ted Purcell. Boy does he suck. If we got anything resembling a decent 2nd liner for him, I would be so glad.

3rd line- Far and away our best line tonight. Maybe Handzus a little bit. Parse and Simmonds were absolutely flying.

Jones/Johnson were poor today. When Jones stops scoring, he starts sucking.

It was just one of those games - all of the Blues goals were more or less flukes, tips or the result of bad plays, and all of the Kings goals were fluky in some way.

Lest people forget, Murray's switch up for the center position allowed Stoll to score that goal from Parse.

And I love Richardson, he played a fantastic game. But he couldn't keep up with Kopitar/Williams. Even when KopiWilliams is not having a good game, you can appreciate how much they do well.

Not one of Doughty's better games. He was flying after the last 5 minutes, but really, his defensive zone play is still improving.

LAX attack* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2009, 12:56 AM
TonySCV
3 in 5 > 3 in 6

I'm really not going to worry about analyzing this game much because it was a 1PM start which almost always means watching craptacular hockey. Today was no exception.

I'm glad they got a point. Points in 4 straight ain't hay. I'd like to see them respond with a win vs. Calgary Monday - and that's asking a lot.

We're 2-0-1 so far this month. Nifty.

Players have goal scoring slumps. Fortunately the secondary scoring is buying the big boys some time to snap out of it. Sooner rather than later would be good though! We can't rely on Richardson to score a goal a game forever.

Last edited by TonySCV: 12-06-2009 at 02:29 AM.
TonySCV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2009, 01:26 AM
ChicagoBlues

Never been much of a Kings fan, but I'm starting to like your team.

ChicagoBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2009, 01:54 AM
Cutty Sarkn3ss*
I bet u trade me

Send a message via AIM to Cutty Sarkn3ss*
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoBlues View Post
Never been much of a Kings fan, but I'm starting to like your team.

Cutty Sarkn3ss* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2009, 02:17 AM
backhander

we got a point, but it seems like we have some players that need some help...brown, purcell.....kopi obviously is getting no room...where is that guy we need on the first line....and really what is goin' on with our captain?!!??

backhander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2009, 03:53 AM
FrozenKing18
Goongala.

yea brown aint doin well! maybe murray should bench him just like what he did to Frolov

FrozenKing18 is online now   Reply With Quote