HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Notices

Cody Hodgson for Nikita Filatov

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-05-2009, 01:05 PM
  #51
Wetcoaster
Registered User
 
Wetcoaster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Out There
Posts: 53,436
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Griffin View Post
Good thread to post that in.
Not awake yet.

Wetcoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2009, 01:13 PM
  #52
Peter Griffin
Registered User
 
Peter Griffin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 26,390
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pauser View Post
I just find it hard to believe that a kid like Hodgson who's dominated offensively at every level he's played in, would all of a sudden drop off offensively like that. Sure if he were undersized, or if the reason he dominated offensively at these lower levels were due to some advantage that wouldn't be there in the NHL, I could see why people would think that. But his major advantage is his hockey sense, and the fundamentals of the game really doesn't change.

The only thing that concerns me is his back injury...it's ruined people's careers before. I just hope Hodgson doesn't suffer the same fate.
I don't see how being a 60-70 point player in the NHL is "dropping off" offensively? Many, many, many players have dominated offensively at lower levels and gone on to do nothing at the pro level. I think Cody's hockey sense and determination will help him do what many players couldn't. But IMO at least, I don't see his skills translating to superstar status at the NHL level.

I guess really the lower end of your expectations are the higher end for my expectations for Cody.

Peter Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2009, 01:38 PM
  #53
alternate
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: victoria
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,829
vCash: 500
I think Hodgson for Filatov is about fair value, give or take the KHL element, with Filatov having a bit more explosiveness in his game and a higher offensive ceiling, but Hodgson (at least at this point and on the surface) having the edge in intangibles.

but realistically, no way MG makes that deal. We need the organisational depth at centre, and all the buzz with CH (including being MG's first ever pick). The only way I could imagine CH getting dealt is for a young, blue-chip top pairing dman.

alternate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2009, 03:31 PM
  #54
Rooooooooooxxxanne*
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 3,899
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barney Gumble View Post
One team is future Captain material - the other isn't. That is my point. Substitute Heatley for Kovalchuk in my example as well. You don't trade character guys like Iginla or Hodgson in this thread.

Another example, you want Forsberg or Naslund in their prime? Sure Naslund will score more goals, but which guy is "clutch"?
I'm not sure why you think Filatov is not "captain" material compared to Hodgson. I'm pretty sure this is just some sterotype against Euro/Russians where Canadians kids are good "leaders".

There has NEVER been any issues with Filatov's character or him doubting his future in the NHL. If I remember correctly, he was also CAPTAIN of the Russian WJC team, and I'm sure he will be again this year. At the WJC last year, he had 8 goals and 3 assists in 7 games, while playing with relatively weaker linemates when compared to Hodgson.

My main point here is the notion that somehow Filatov is a bad character/leader is asinine, he has just as much good character and leadership abilities than Hodgson(Unless you know Hodgson personally, but all we have to really judge them based on character is interviews, and I don't see how you can say Hodgson is more of a leader than Filatov based on interviews).

Also regarding the KHL, he was asked if he would rather play in the AHL or KHL, can you blame him for saying KHL? He never demanded to play in the KHL, since it was obvious they need to send him somewhere where he could play more than 5-6 minutes a game.

The only thing I will agree on which a lot of posters have mentioned is the threat of the KHL, which there is for ANY Russian player playing in the NHL. Filatov has said on numerous occations that he is commited to playing in NA and wants to play in the best league in the world.

In terms of the trade, I agree that it would make sense by trying to offer CBJ a package of Schroeder + Bieksa first, I'd do that in a heartbeat too, and try and keep Hodgson, but just wanted to see if this deal was fair, value wise.

Rooooooooooxxxanne* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2009, 06:41 PM
  #55
Barney Gumble
Registered User
 
Barney Gumble's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 18,690
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooooooooooxxxanne View Post
I'm not sure why you think Filatov is not "captain" material compared to Hodgson. I'm pretty sure this is just some sterotype against Euro/Russians where Canadians kids are good "leaders".
Sorry but I forsaw that stereotypical reply a MILE away - hence my addition for including Heatley in that example well *BEFORE* your response. Nice try.

So I ask you again, would you rather have Iginla right now or Heatly in the prime?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooooooooooxxxanne View Post
The only thing I will agree on which a lot of posters have mentioned is the threat of the KHL, which there is for ANY Russian player playing in the NHL.
Not for Canucks prospect Shirokov. He's made it clear he wants to play in the NHL in no uncertain terms. Follow the story he took to get over here. This is despite him knowing he'll be in the AHL first. These are the players I want.


Last edited by Barney Gumble: 12-05-2009 at 06:52 PM.
Barney Gumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2009, 07:21 PM
  #56
33
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 29,884
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by LostMyGlasses View Post
Schroeder is going to be an NHL centerman?
Um yeah why not ?

33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2009, 07:24 PM
  #57
33
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 29,884
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barney Gumble View Post
Would you trade Iginila for Kovalchuk?
More like would you trade Jonathan Toews for Alex Semin

33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2009, 09:26 PM
  #58
Rooooooooooxxxanne*
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 3,899
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barney Gumble View Post
Sorry but I forsaw that stereotypical reply a MILE away - hence my addition for including Heatley in that example well *BEFORE* your response. Nice try.

So I ask you again, would you rather have Iginla right now or Heatly in the prime?


Not for Canucks prospect Shirokov. He's made it clear he wants to play in the NHL in no uncertain terms. Follow the story he took to get over here. This is despite him knowing he'll be in the AHL first. These are the players I want.


LOL, I don't care if your comparing him to Heatley oror Kovalchuk, why are you even comparing him to Heatley in the first place?? Your argument makes no sense, i suggest you read what you wrote over again.

You are trying to suggest that Filatov has bad character etc. which is simply not true, and THAT IS HOW YOU ARE USING THE STEREOTYPE, regardless if you compared him to Heatley, because that doesn't mean anything.

You havn't answered why you are trying to compare Filatov to someone with bad character, and Hodgson to someone who has good character.

Hense the only logical explanation to me, is you are using a stereotype to suggest that all Euro/Russians are bad character kids, when it simply isn't true and has no basis whatsoever when discussing Filatov. The kid time and again has showed great character and his drive to play in the best league in the world.

The only real threat when discussing Filatov is the KHL, and even he has said he has no intentions of playing there because he wants to succeed in the NHL.

Once again, comparing him to Heatley rather than a European player with bad attitude problems doesn't mean anything. Why are you even comparing Filatov to someone with bad character in the first place?


You're argument:

Filatov = Heatley
Hodgson = Iginla

Iginla > Heatley (because Iginla is a "character" guy)

Hence, Hodgson > Filatov (because Hodgson is a "character" guy)

Why does "Filatov = Heatley" is what I'm asking you, why does Filatov have bad character issues? I don't care if you used Heatley rather than Kovalchuk. There is no evidence to suggest that this kid has bad character issues or bad leadership skills. The only reason you are suggesting Filatov has bad character or character to the level of Dany Heatley is because he's a Russian, plain and simple. If his name was Nick Filton from Thunder Bay, Ontario, you wouldn't be saying he has bad character issues.


I seriously can't believe I had to take the time to explain that flaw in your argument. wow.


Last edited by Rooooooooooxxxanne*: 12-05-2009 at 09:37 PM.
Rooooooooooxxxanne* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2009, 09:35 PM
  #59
Barney Gumble
Registered User
 
Barney Gumble's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 18,690
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooooooooooxxxanne View Post
LOL, I don't care if your comparing him to Heatley or Zherdev, why are you even comparing him to Heatley in the first place?? Your argument makes no sense, i suggest you read what you wrote over again.
It was back to the original question of whether you'd trade Iginla for Heatley - that's who the comparison was.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooooooooooxxxanne View Post

Hense the only logical explanation to me, is you are using a stereotype to suggest that all Euro/Russians are bad character kids, when it simply isn't true and has no basis whatsoever when discussing Filatov. The kid time and again has showed great character and his drive to play in the best league in the world.
That's why I used Shirokov as an example. Righhhhhht.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooooooooooxxxanne View Post
The only real threat when discussing Filatov is the KHL, and even he has said he has no intentions of playing there because he wants to succeed in the NHL.
Then why did he himself say it was HIS idea of using that league as an option?

Barney Gumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2009, 09:44 PM
  #60
Rooooooooooxxxanne*
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 3,899
vCash: 500
Also @ using Shirokov as an example.

Shirokov demanded a trade from CSKA Moscow, and said he would play in the NHL otherwise, he didn't get traded and got suspended 1 year, and his only option was the offer on the table by MG.

If Shirokov really wanted to play in the NHL, why didn't he jump ships from Moscow as soon as his contract was over, rather than ask for a trade?

Clearly, YOU didn't follow the story.

"There are players I want"

You take one example and that suddenly becomes the norm, as soon as your example fails, you try another one.

MOD EDIT: Deleted


Last edited by Timmy: 12-05-2009 at 10:30 PM. Reason: flaming
Rooooooooooxxxanne* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2009, 09:57 PM
  #61
Barney Gumble
Registered User
 
Barney Gumble's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 18,690
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooooooooooxxxanne View Post
If Shirokov really wanted to play in the NHL, why didn't he jump ships from Moscow as soon as his contract was over, rather than ask for a trade?
Because in Russia they still have something similiar to the old "reserve clause" so even if his contract "expired" his old team could still claim (or make a claim) that it owned his rights (hence his reason for fighting his case in court). Unless I'm mistaken - this is my interpretation of that situation. There is/was an agreement not to poach players from either league and this could be interpreted as doing just that.

MOD EDIT: Deleted


Last edited by Timmy: 12-05-2009 at 10:31 PM. Reason: QDP
Barney Gumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2009, 10:02 PM
  #62
Rooooooooooxxxanne*
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 3,899
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barney Gumble View Post
Because in Russia they still have something similiar to the old "reserve clause" so even if his contract "expired" his old team could still claim (or make a claim) that it owned his rights (hence his reason for fighting his case in court). Unless I'm mistaken - this is my interpretation of that situation.
Ok? so if he got his trade would he be a canuck? That's what I thought. He was demanding a trade from CSKA Mosow and refused to sign with them because he wanted to be traded somewhere else.

This is already going off-topic, you compare Filatov to people with bad character, and show no evidence to support it. Then you say you are comparing him to a canadian player with bad attitude, so your argument is valid (I literally lol'd in real life when I read that).

You then bring Shirokov into the conversation,and as usual, you are completely wrong again.

MOD EDIT: Deleted


Last edited by Timmy: 12-05-2009 at 10:28 PM. Reason: flaming
Rooooooooooxxxanne* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2009, 10:29 PM
  #63
kingfisher
 
kingfisher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Grassy Fields, World
Country: India
Posts: 1,664
vCash: 500
after reading that puck daddy piece on filatov, i see the great character in the guy

he has no real hate for hitchcock and actually in the interview praised hitch for all the lessons he taught him. he left becuase he felt he was not trusted, at all, and wasnt going to be trusted or given a fair chunk of ice to prove himself. i side with filatov

its just impressive that a splitting situation like that can seemingly leave the two parties in a reasonably well relationship

MOD EDIT: Deleted

kingfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2009, 10:33 PM
  #64
Timmy
Registered User
 
Timmy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,720
vCash: 500
The next personal attack gets an infraction and the closure of this thread.

Timmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:24 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.