HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Pat Quinn understands the Oilers, but do the players understand him?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-20-2009, 01:47 PM
  #101
copperandblue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 10,724
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CupofOil View Post
What Sharplike contract do we have? Hemsky? The best bargain on our team?
Hemsky's contract isn't even close to Sharp's. He is a flat out bargain, Sharp's contract isn't a bargain. It isn't obcene, it's reasonable, but it isn't a bargain.

It's not a question of contracts that are the closest dollar figure.

These are the comparable contracts in terms of dollar vs value as I see them;

Penner, O'Sullivan, Moreau, Gilbert, Grebeshkov, Khabibulin, Souray and Vishnovsky

These are the contracts that individually aren't terrible, similar to Sharp, but also aren't bargains and collectively add up to a boatload of cap space. They are also at a number significant enough that if the Oilers need to move one or two they would be very limited in who they could trade with.

The Oilers aren't in a position to add another player to that list because he isn't a significant enough improvement to the team to justify the move and he makes an already difficult cap situation even worse.

copperandblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2009, 02:13 PM
  #102
CupofOil
Visually, we suck.
 
CupofOil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Rock Bottom
Country: United States
Posts: 14,334
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by copperandblue View Post
Hemsky's contract isn't even close to Sharp's. He is a flat out bargain, Sharp's contract isn't a bargain. It isn't obcene, it's reasonable, but it isn't a bargain.
It's not a question of contracts that are the closest dollar figure.

These are the comparable contracts in terms of dollar vs value as I see them;

Penner, O'Sullivan, Moreau, Gilbert, Grebeshkov, Khabibulin, Souray and Vishnovsky

These are the contracts that individually aren't terrible, similar to Sharp, but also aren't bargains and collectively add up to a boatload of cap space. They are also at a number significant enough that if the Oilers need to move one or two they would be very limited in who they could trade with.



The Oilers aren't in a position to add another player to that list because he isn't a significant enough improvement to the team to justify the move and he makes an already difficult cap situation even worse.

I will have to respectfully disagree with you there, Hemsky is better than Sharp at one thing and that's playmaking while Sharp is superior in all other facets so i don't see how Hemsky's contract is so much better than Sharp's.

CupofOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2009, 02:21 PM
  #103
copperandblue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 10,724
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CupofOil View Post
I will have to respectfully disagree with you there, Hemsky is better than Sharp at one thing and that's playmaking while Sharp is superior in all other facets so i don't see how Hemsky's contract is so much better than Sharp's.
I don't agree but fine.

Saying that Hemsky's contract isn't a bargain isn't a pro-Sharp argument though when talking about managing the cap and improving the team for the long term moving forward.

copperandblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2009, 02:59 PM
  #104
CupofOil
Visually, we suck.
 
CupofOil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Rock Bottom
Country: United States
Posts: 14,334
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by copperandblue View Post
I don't agree but fine.

Saying that Hemsky's contract isn't a bargain isn't a pro-Sharp argument though when talking about managing the cap and improving the team for the long term moving forward.
I didn't say that Hemsky's contract isn't a bargain, it is but i'm just saying that Sharp's contract is just as good..... I guess it's a matter of what kind of player you like..... I like all around players who bring a lot of different things to the table and i guess other people prefer more flashy playmakers who are one dimensional, it's a matter of preference

CupofOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2009, 12:04 AM
  #105
Cloned
Sexy Genesis
 
Cloned's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 22,172
vCash: 500
Listening to his comments after today's game:

http://oilers.nhl.com/club/podcastpl...id=DL|EDM|home

Those worrying about his memory () shouldn't anymore, because he referenced what he said a few weeks ago today.

Basically, he said the team is starting to learn to bend but not break. Defensive coverage remains an Achilles' heel, but is getting better.

__________________

Sig AND X-mas avatar courtesy of The Nemesis

"Pull yourself together!" - Solid Snake to Otacon, multiple times in the series
Cloned is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:45 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.