HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Pat Quinn understands the Oilers, but do the players understand him?

Old
11-20-2009, 01:47 PM
copperandblue

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CupofOil View Post
What Sharplike contract do we have? Hemsky? The best bargain on our team?
Hemsky's contract isn't even close to Sharp's. He is a flat out bargain, Sharp's contract isn't a bargain. It isn't obcene, it's reasonable, but it isn't a bargain.

It's not a question of contracts that are the closest dollar figure.

These are the comparable contracts in terms of dollar vs value as I see them;

Penner, O'Sullivan, Moreau, Gilbert, Grebeshkov, Khabibulin, Souray and Vishnovsky

These are the contracts that individually aren't terrible, similar to Sharp, but also aren't bargains and collectively add up to a boatload of cap space. They are also at a number significant enough that if the Oilers need to move one or two they would be very limited in who they could trade with.

The Oilers aren't in a position to add another player to that list because he isn't a significant enough improvement to the team to justify the move and he makes an already difficult cap situation even worse.

copperandblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2009, 02:13 PM
CupofOil
Visually, we suck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by copperandblue View Post
Hemsky's contract isn't even close to Sharp's. He is a flat out bargain, Sharp's contract isn't a bargain. It isn't obcene, it's reasonable, but it isn't a bargain.
It's not a question of contracts that are the closest dollar figure.

These are the comparable contracts in terms of dollar vs value as I see them;

Penner, O'Sullivan, Moreau, Gilbert, Grebeshkov, Khabibulin, Souray and Vishnovsky

These are the contracts that individually aren't terrible, similar to Sharp, but also aren't bargains and collectively add up to a boatload of cap space. They are also at a number significant enough that if the Oilers need to move one or two they would be very limited in who they could trade with.

The Oilers aren't in a position to add another player to that list because he isn't a significant enough improvement to the team to justify the move and he makes an already difficult cap situation even worse.

I will have to respectfully disagree with you there, Hemsky is better than Sharp at one thing and that's playmaking while Sharp is superior in all other facets so i don't see how Hemsky's contract is so much better than Sharp's.

CupofOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2009, 02:21 PM
copperandblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by CupofOil View Post
I will have to respectfully disagree with you there, Hemsky is better than Sharp at one thing and that's playmaking while Sharp is superior in all other facets so i don't see how Hemsky's contract is so much better than Sharp's.
I don't agree but fine.

Saying that Hemsky's contract isn't a bargain isn't a pro-Sharp argument though when talking about managing the cap and improving the team for the long term moving forward.

copperandblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2009, 02:59 PM
CupofOil
Visually, we suck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by copperandblue View Post
I don't agree but fine.

Saying that Hemsky's contract isn't a bargain isn't a pro-Sharp argument though when talking about managing the cap and improving the team for the long term moving forward.
I didn't say that Hemsky's contract isn't a bargain, it is but i'm just saying that Sharp's contract is just as good..... I guess it's a matter of what kind of player you like..... I like all around players who bring a lot of different things to the table and i guess other people prefer more flashy playmakers who are one dimensional, it's a matter of preference

CupofOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2009, 12:04 AM
Cloned
Sexy Genesis

Listening to his comments after today's game:

http://oilers.nhl.com/club/podcastpl...id=DL|EDM|home

Those worrying about his memory () shouldn't anymore, because he referenced what he said a few weeks ago today.

Basically, he said the team is starting to learn to bend but not break. Defensive coverage remains an Achilles' heel, but is getting better.

Sig AND X-mas avatar courtesy of The Nemesis

"Pull yourself together!" - Solid Snake to Otacon, multiple times in the series
Cloned is offline   Reply With Quote